Too Many Ads

• Thread starter OpticZero
  • 33 comments
United States
Malibu
On the GTPlanet home page, I've noticed more and more ads popping up over the past year or so, especially on the mobile version. I've now realized it may be getting out of control and it is now half ads/half actual content. I imagine Thrustmaster is paying a lot of money to make sure their logo is plastered all over this site, but enough is enough. When ads take over real content, there might be a problem.

Keep ads where they belong...off to the side and away from the actual articles. I hate trying to navigate around a ton of ads just to find a stinking article.

Please bring back the good old days.

On the GTPlanet home page, I've noticed more and more ads popping up over the past year or so, especially on the mobile version. I've now realized it may be getting out of control and it is now half ads/half actual content. I imagine Thrustmaster is paying a lot of money to make sure their logo is plastered all over this site, but enough is enough. When ads take over real content, there might be a problem.

Keep ads where they belong...off to the side and away from the actual articles. I hate trying to navigate around a ton of ads just to find a stinking article.

Have you ever thought about the fact that the reason you are even able to view this website is because of ads?

Ads are probably the best way for site funding. And without funding, the website would be no longer. Running a website is not free.

"... navigate around a ton of ads ..." is seriously an overstatement.

Honestly, it is not hard to distinguish ads from actual articles.

And you can get GTPremium if you want no ads what-so-ever.

Who pays extra to look at a web page, seriously?

And have you noticed the ads disguised as real articles? Does your precious "premium membership" get around that too?

Oh great. This again.

I just opened up an Incognito window on my phone in Chrome. On the main page, there are 20 articles. In addition to those, there is one promoted ad (which states as much, in place of the comments link). There's then 3 large ads separating the remainder (2 promoted, one based on my own browsing).

So, significantly less than a quarter. One sixth of the page, really.

Keep ads where they belong...off to the side and away from the actual articles.

What makes you think you're in any way placed to make demands?

I hate trying to navigate around a ton of ads just to find a stinking article.

I hate when people think they deserve something just because they want it.

You mean the days before dedicated servers? Keeping up to date on forum software? Introducing complicated features like the user galleries, or automatic image uploads?

Guess how those sorts of things are made possible?

People that appreciate the service provided.

Oh great. This again.

I just opened up an Incognito window on my phone in Chrome. On the main page, there are 20 articles. In addition to those, there is one promoted ad (which states as much, in place of the comments link). There's then 3 large ads separating the remainder (2 promoted, one based on my own browsing).

So, significantly less than a quarter. One sixth of the page, really.

What makes you think you're in any way placed to make demands?

I hate when people think they deserve something just because they want it.

You mean the days before dedicated servers? Keeping up to date on forum software? Introducing complicated features like the user galleries, or automatic image uploads?

Guess how those sorts of things are made possible?

People that appreciate the service provided.
Aw, you tree'd me.
If you were to look past your limited views, you might realize that you're contributing to keeping this site if you do pay "to look at a web page".
And have you noticed the ads disguised as real articles? Does your precious "premium membership" get around that too?
To simply answer your question: Yes.

The saying goes it'll spoil the site
Honey, I think that's not true
Well, maybe too many Ads will spoil the site, but they’ll pay our bills with so much, so much ca-a-ash

In a perfect world @Jordan would be a trillionaire and wouldn't even need ads, but unfortunately this is Earth

Just logged off my account to see what the fuss about ads were.

Frankly, they aren't a problem at all for me. They're so blatantly obvious and I don't see any more of the ads that are disguised as actual news articles. Just scroll past them. Not sure why you would need to "search" for an article either. Maybe for that one time where you want to refer to an old article that you saw before? But if you're merely trying to see the new articles, which tend to be only the first two links from the top, you should have no need for navigating that much in the first place.

Honestly, this all seems like unnecessary whining to me.

For a mod, you sure have some thin skin.

...now that's an interesting approach for a member to take, after reporting a post because it disproves their claims.

Again: "half ads" apparently is 4/24.

Again: "navigate around a ton of ads" is simply scrolling down.

If you need to resort to exaggeration to prove a point, you don't have a point. It's too bad you seem to think the ad amount is too high, because a lot of similarly-sized internet communities and/or news outlets do a lot more.

I for one need no more drum and hip hop and whatever crap is left of that in my life...

Anyways, I run google chrome, and also run ad blocker, to get rid of problems like this, however, I realized with as much time I spend here, and options that were available, I decided to give back to @Jordan what he has given to all of us (to buy premium, not disable ad blocker.. YouTube is a different world).

The fact that you complain about the amount/positioning of adverts is a joke to be honest, when there are solutions around everywhere for the type of people like you.

Let alone the fact that you keep your account locked, which is beyond words of what I can type.. There are other places and forums which may seem to satisfy you better, which clearly here isn't enough from past history.

I don't know if you've noticed or not, but very single responder with the exception of a moderator all have the "premium" badge.

One gets the premium badge by purchasing a premium subscription.

So to answer your question, a pretty fair number.

Your whining is falling on deaf ears here.

For a mod, you sure have some thin skin.

And for a member you sure do love making a mountain out of mole hill. That comment on your profile page is hilarious by the way, and might I add a few other details:

- Responding to your own comments is not witty. it just makes you look lonely.
- Pretending there's a conspiracy against you, and over ads no less, is going to get you the wrong kind of attention as you've probably caught onto by now. That is, unless you think I'm an advertisement that you have to tirelessly avoid.
- The entitlement here (I hate that word but boy is it relevant here) is strong with you.
- I'm going to be blunt, if you don't like having to see the few advertisements that keep the site up and running, and making blatantly exaggerated points and insulting the staff here (least of all the proprietor) you can leave because I promise we'll find a way to continue on without you.

Oddly enough, I sometimes feel bad because I bought a lifetime premium membership years ago and haven't had the money to gift it for a year or so.

I don't mind advertisements supporting the sites I visit the most, but I don't like native advertisements which practically blend into the news feed, aside from the "Promoted by..." text. In my opinion, that's approaching the border of being deceptive, especially on sites that aren't nearly as ethical as GTP.

The way I look at it is this. Those of us who don't get premium know that we get ads. Do you really want to throw a fit about it? I've been on sites that have far, far more ads than GTP does. I'd far rather be on a site that has a sparingly few ads compared to other sites and at least know that dealing with them helps contribute revenue to the site instead of throwing a fit because "the amount of ads is too damn high."

There are sites that do substantially limit forum access to its free members by either only allowing them to post in a select few posts or set stringent requirements on which free users can post. We should be grateful that the staff allow us to post in almost every section that this forum has because they could have severely limited our access as well but didn't do that.

There's like 2 or 3 ads on here and it's not affecting my experience here one bit.No iam not complaining. If you are seeing more ads than usual go scan your computer.

Anyways the only ads i see here is sim gear and Lionel Messi bubble socks. (he gettin good dough from dat sock and bubble toy tho)

Seriously though if you are getting ads from some clickbait or something like that go get that checked out.

My problem is opposite. I disabled Ad Block for GTP long ago but just this month (?) the ads stopped showing up. My Adblock is disabled and hasn't changed anything but there's still no ads. How can I enable ads again?

I noticed yesterday that my Premium had lapsed, I don't find the number of adverts that I'm now being shown to be a problem at all.

If you are seeing more ads than usual go scan your computer.

This could be good advice, check for those "Strong Signal" type extensions etc.

My problem is opposite. I disabled Ad Block for GTP long ago but just this month (?) the ads stopped showing up. My Adblock is disabled and hasn't changed anything but there's still no ads. How can I enable ads again?
Does it matter really?

I mean, as it stands, only one shows up on the forum front page for me - at the top, that is. However, my stance is that no matter what kinda glitch is causing the other spaces to appear blank, it's not my problem. I don't see a reason to go out of my way to make them show up - got lots of more important things to worry about. :D

Could be worse. Much worse. Some sites have advertisements that end up covering vital parts of the webpage, and some sites that offer a paid subscription similar to that of Premium here, and the ads are still visible when they shouldn't be.

Go check out an online newspaper. :crazy:

Back