Vision Gran Turismo: A Hypothesis

• Thread starter The359
  • 41 comments
Jows73
which is why you'll notice there are often 'car doubles' on the track in any clip (which never happens in GT4).

Yes it does. If the human player picks a car, that identical car can show up with the AI.

And there are plenty of frames with more then 6 cars grouped together.

If it is something like GT Concept or GT4: Prologue, how much do you want to bet that it won't be released in North America. :(

typicaly, you would be right there. i though about this myself, but GT4 has popularized GT so much in north america that it's share in polyphonys market has probably gone up considerably. I think the days of, not for N/A, releases may be over.

[EDIT]
You know, with all the new stuf were are seing. Whether Vision GT is to be a game, or just a preview of GT5, the one thing that scares me is the one thing we havent seen. Skid marks. I know, something so minor, but alot of people are asking for it and honestly it would be cool to just lay a patch playing around in GT. I wouldnt mind tire marks.

Another thing about all this- how can Vision Gran Turismo be Gran Turismo 5 if GT4 is utilized? It's GT4 on the PS3 with some tweaks, so you can't call this off as GT5. However, this can lead up to GT5. That's why I'm stating that this isn't GT5, however, this can LEAD to GT5. And for the one betting if it would be in North America, I'd bet all my Credits in GT4 that North America won't see it.

The359
Yes it does. If the human player picks a car, that identical car can show up with the AI.

Exactly, - if there was just one which was because of the car the player picked then fair enough, but there are multiple care doubles which suggests that it is multiple replay's stuck together. And what i mean by the 6+ car thing is that there is never more than 6 cars closely interacting/reacting with each other while racing, which again, could suggest that it is a super-imposition of multiple replay's... just a thought.

Jows73
Exactly, - if there was just one which was because of the car the player picked then fair enough, but there are multiple care doubles which suggests that it is multiple replay's stuck together. And what i mean by the 6+ car thing is that there is never more than 6 cars closely interacting/reacting with each other while racing, which again, could suggest that it is a super-imposition of multiple replay's... just a thought.

This is what I thought at first, but you must realize that there are less than a dozen F1 paint schemes, compared to what was at least 16 cars in the "race", as not all the cars were on screen.

The359
Thinking earlier today I came up with an idea of what I believe "Vision Gran Turismo" might just be.

Bear in mind this is just my idea and some random thinking that I believe fits the facts.

I believe that "Vision Gran Turismo" is the supposed "GT4 Online". But it's not that simple. First off, we know the PlayStation 3 is backwords compatible, meaning we can play GT4 on the PS3. The PS3 also has a large hard drive and an apparent dependence on networking.

This could mean that "Vision Gran Turismo" could be a DOWNLOADABLE add-on for GT4 to be played on the PS3. This downloaded program could interact with code already on the GT4 disc, or override code on the GT4 disc allowing for the ability to play online. This same coding could also change the amount of cars playable in network races, as seen in the trailer.

This would also explain why the graphics in the trailer do not appear to be changed, and there are no new cars or tracks.

With the immenent approach of the PS3, this is likely why Polyphony did not implement networking on the original release of GT4. Knowing that the PS2's networks were not up to snuff so as it is, why not just wait and use the new and far superior PlayOnline networks for the PS3?

We know XBox 360 will be launching before the PS3, but Xbox 360 wont have any major online racing games available at first, and I'm not sure when Project Gotham Racing 3 will be out. So to help Sony in that battle, taking the already proven and capable GT4 online could give them the early start.

Also notice in the trailer that the few words are "From Partial Reality" and "To Complete Reality". This could be interpreted as GT4 being 'Partial Completion', and Vision Gran Turismo being 'Completion'.

Anyway, just an idea...

Just to correct, the XB360 looks like it will have PGR 3, Need For Speed: Most Wanted, Test Drive and Full Auto at or near launch. A reasonable assortment of racing games.

As for Vision GT, I'm reasonably certain it was just a hastily put together tech demo, giving us an idea of what they're working on for the GT series.

Hastily put together? I'm pretty sure that since GT4 was released, that they were working on this deal for Vision GT. Like I said, no one knows for sure what GT5 will be like, so to show off what could lead up to GT5 was contained in this first demo, Vision Gran Turismo. We're probably not going to see new tracks or new cars until maybe the next E3, or this year's Tokyo Game Show. And if not that, then come pretty close to coming up with something interesting. I think if you perceive this as GT5 ready to be released in a few months, you're going to be REALLY lost when the game comes out for real. To me, this is more of the first step in what GT5 will be all about. Vision Gran Turismo is a dream. It is a concept. When you have a nice dream or concept, you usually jump into making a dream a reality. For some, it's easy, for others, it is anything but. You try to build up the game from the dream on a trial and error basis. GT4 had some surprises, like the backfire from the cars. So imagine seeing a little more surprises for the next GT. We have no idea for sure on what the next GT will be like from cars and tracks. I'm kind of hoping for things like dynamic time cycles and some weather changes. But who knows for sure what the game will include?

I can't stress this enough. This isn't GT5, but it may lead into GT5. It is a dream. Perhaps it is something we should analyze and think through to get an idea as to what to expect for the next full Gran Turismo game. And if we just think of it as GT4 v.2, then we're not going ANYWHERE with Vision GT. It's a wonderful dream that is very likely to come true. We just have to wait for more info before judging on this. I'm sure CobraGT, Disco Volante, Amar212, and such will be the bigtime insiders on this. Then too, I wonder what our big insiders think about Vision GT and what we may expect in the future...

my hypothesis is that a lot of people are reading a little
too much into the e3 trailer. isnt it pretty typical for dev
teams to put older games onto the next gen consoles?

they dont usually make trailers of it and whatnot, but i
think it's safe to say they were just trying to show they
can have more cars and whatnot on the tracks. i dont
think this is any sort of prologe/concept title. no company
in their right mind would develope a launch title (or around
launch) based off previous generation graphics. in today's
society, graphics are the sellers. why dont 2d fighting games
get any press these days? 'cause they're not as pretty as
other games. vision was JUST announced and a trailler was
JUST shown. i think it's a bit soon to really think too hard.

Back