Voice Attack is brilliant! Voice controlled button box.

• Thread starter Paul33993
  • 30 comments
Somebody on another forum created a thread about this program and I finally got around to trying the demo today. This program is amazingly. Here's the review he also linked to:

Warning: Swearing.

http://www.voiceattack.com/

It's got a 21 day limited feature demo you can try, or the full version is 8 dollars.

I was playing it with iracing today and it didn't miss a single command for me. Not only can you map everything in iracing to voice, but you can also map outside programs. I'm assuming you could map things like saving Nvidia Shadowplay with voice commands, or re-centering your Rift with a voice command.

It's absolutely a superb button box alternative and in the future with VR, it'll be even more useful.

Forgot to mention, it's really just using Windows voice recognition as the base for what it's doing. Which means it's using some CPU power on one core. I can't really see this being an issue if you have a quality quad core, but you'd definitely want to try the demo first if still using duel.

Last edited by a moderator:
For €5.96 euros it was a steal. So consider it bought.

Even if it is just for centering TrackIR alone it would be worth the money. So I am definitely trying this one out right away.

Edit:
And it seems I wasted my money as Windows doesn't support the Dutch language in the Windows 7 speech recognition engine, so that engine won't start.

:banghead:

So folks, if you can't run speech recognition under "Control Panel > Ease of Access > Speech Recognition > Start Speech Recognition" than you're basically doomed with your non-English Windows version.

Last edited:
For €5.96 euros it was a steal. So consider it bought.

Even if it is just for centering TrackIR alone it would be worth the money. So I am definitely trying this one out right away.

Edit:
And it seems I wasted my money as Windows doesn't support the Dutch language in the Windows 7 speech recognition engine, so that engine won't start.

:banghead:

So folks, if you can't run speech recognition under "Control Panel > Ease of Access > Speech Recognition > Start Speech Recognition" than you're basically doomed with your non-English Windows version.
If you have W7 Enterprise or Ultimate, you can download the English language pack and use Speech recognition in English. Better than nothing. :)

If you have W7 Enterprise or Ultimate, you can download the English language pack and use Speech recognition in English. Better than nothing. :)

You mean the MUI pack via Windows Update? Will see if installing that helps. Not going to switch the interface oanguage though.

You mean the MUI pack via Windows Update? Will see if installing that helps. Not going to switch the interface oanguage though.

According to this, it may be possible. I don't have personal experience with this fix since I image all my computers in English, but it's worth a short considering you already purchased the software. 👍

According to this, it may be possible. I don't have personal experience with this fix since I image all my computers in English, but it's worth a short considering you already purchased the software. 👍

Thanks. Trying now!
If this works for a Dutch Windows installing an English MUI (aka language pack), than it will work likewise for any other Windows language the operating system comes in. So German with English pack, or Chinese with English pack.

Update (forgot to hit post reply appearantly):

It works!

- Install the MUI language pack English on your other native language Windows (in my case a Dutch Windows).
- Select English language in: Control Panel > Clock, Language and Region > Country and Region > Change Display Language
- You need to log off, do so.
- Start the Speech recognition in: Control Panel > Ease of Access > Speech Recognition > Start Speech Recognition
- Check if you have the correct language for speech: Control Panel > Ease of Access > Speech Recognition Options > Advanced Speech Options then Select the Language of Speech Recognition Engine
- Select your native language again in: Control Panel > Clock, Language and Region > Country and Region > Change Display Language
- Log off again as being told.
- Now a message appears saying the speech engine can't start due to the native language not being supported and blah. Ignored it!
- Start VirtualAttack and in the options select your speech engine's language
- Restart VirtualAttack and... it works!

One issue I have now though. I keep getting double entries on my apostrophe and quote characters. :S

Thanks. Trying now!
If this works for a Dutch Windows installing an English MUI (aka language pack), than it will work likewise for any other Windows language the operating system comes in. So German with English pack, or Chinese with English pack.

Great to hear it worked! :)

Just wanted to point out that your two particular examples, German and Chinese support speech recognition in their own language. Don't ask me how I know this stuff, I bask in the knowledge of useless facts. :lol:

Just an update:
Removing the keyboard layout (United-States (international)) and rebooting, than after reboot adding "United-States" instead and that has solved my double quote/apostrophe issues.

Now I am just left with the darn message of speech recognition not supporting my language every time I start the PC. Grrrr! 🤬
I wonder how I can fix that one.

Last edited:
Just tried this in ETS 2...

IT IS FLIPPING BRILLIANT :gtpflag:

Thank you, Paul!:cheers:

ps. This also aids in training my English speech as I have to have the system recognize whatever the hell I am saying. :lol:

Glad you're liking it. Saw this last week and didn't try it till today. Couldn't believe how great it was. Supposedly the guy developed it for World of Warcraft. So it's just a terrifically versatile way to make macros.

Without having to watch a 35min video, does this work with Assetto Corsa?
Can I also use it for other games like Battlefield to reload or use Coma Rose commands?

Thanks

I haven't tried it with Assetto Corsa yet. It should work with anything that can use button presses, but if you're trying to set something that's controlled via the "apps", I could definitely see it being an issue.

Basically anything that uses keystrokes (or can have a macro created with multiple keystrokes and programmed pauses if need be) is fair game.

Talking about pauses. I created a marco for flashing in ETS2. I flash 3 times rapidly now by having actuated the `J` key 3 times with pauses in between. Each action )presses and pauses' taking 0.072 seconds. Or that´s how fast I hit the key at least when I recorded it.

On a side note. I can´t believe how good the Microsoft Speech Recognition engine has become. I am using the engine without any voice training at the moment, and it´s doing really well. Have yet to have any real annoyances.

And yeah, it should work with any keystrokes.
Also you could open and close your games with it and any necessary additional programs.

Like you want to start ETS2 but you also need to start trackir before that. Now you can just macro the starting up of programs and any needed keystrokes where needed, like if you get an administrator privileges message (left arrowkey and than space).
So yeah, as far as keystrokes goes it should work in AC.

Heck... you can even put "KITT" in front of everything and act like your Micheal Knight.with this. lol

Last edited:
I find more realistic and immersive to use my button Box, but it should be useful as an Race ingegnere!
However, it would be very useful with Oculist Rift!

Last edited:
Oculus Rift users are probably loving this.

I am a TrackIR user. So my vision isn't blocked, but I like it. OC users will love it.

Although for some actions maybe a physical switch is nicer to have. A Push-to-Talk or Push-to-Mute button might be a good one to use especially when in multiplayer, you could switch on/off your game chat and actually speak a command without having your mates blurt out "Engine Off" and killing your engine every time. At least when using an omni-directional microphone with speakers. A noise-canceling directional microphone would have this issue less, and besides using a headset for filtering out the chat audio from your speakers that are reproducing engine sounds makes you understand them better anyway.

Any hope running this on a Dutch language Windows 7 Home Edition?

See post 6 for a step by step. Only issue is that you get a popup again at startup saying the speech language doesn't match the interface language, but you can ignore it and must click it away. ;)

Edit: crap. Just read home edition. Ehm... I do not know as I never used home edition. You can do a quick google search "spraak herkenning windows 7 home edition". I think that will give you something.

Edit edit:

For those on Windows that doesn't support speech recognition natively look here...

question.gif
Did you buy a Windows laptop from abroad and want it to talk to you in your mother tongue?

Try Vistalizator - this tool allows you to change display language in Windows editions other than (officially supported) Ultimate, like Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium and Business/Professional.

Vistalizator overrides the limit of one MUI language on non-Ultimate Windows editions.
See details about using multiple languages in Windows.

Link: http://www.froggie.sk

I found Vistalizator too, but there are some issues:
  • if you switch to another language (English in our case), this will be the language for all other user accounts too. You cannot set one user account to English and keep other accounts on e.g. Dutch
  • Some users report they have 'Windows is not genuine' errors and cannot install certain updates.
Since my PC is used by my family and not for racing only I do not want to mess with it. So Voice Attack is a no go for me. But I like the idea very much. I'm so sad... :(

I'm kind of glad speech recognition and MUI change is "standard" on Windows 8. Anyway, awesome programme indeed! :D

After reading this thread, I picked up the full version. I must say this is one of the best programs i've EVER bought.
Sooo easy to use. THANKS for the heads-up OP ;).

Last edited:
I found Vistalizator too, but there are some issues:
  • if you switch to another language (English in our case), this will be the language for all other user accounts too. You cannot set one user account to English and keep other accounts on e.g. Dutch
  • Some users report they have 'Windows is not genuine' errors and cannot install certain updates.
Since my PC is used by my family and not for racing only I do not want to mess with it. So Voice Attack is a no go for me. But I like the idea very much. I'm so sad... :(

I have a Dutch Windows and use the English Speech Recognition.
Just install the MUI (English language) and switch to it. Than start the speech engine. Switch back to Dutch and you're done.
The only thing is annoying 'error warning popup' saying that the selected language doesn't match the interface language, but still you can use the installed English speech engines (US and UK) to do the speech recognition in Voice Attack.

So yes, it is possible to keep the native/original language and still use voice attack.

Is the warning only on Win7? I haven't got anything close to it, unless I actually try to open Speech Recognition.

Is the warning only on Win7? I haven't got anything close to it, unless I actually try to open Speech Recognition.

Thanks Dean for that heads-up.

Pocked a little further. Seems you only need to go to an English Windows interface just once. You than start the Speech Recognition service in the Windows Control Panel just once go into the options of Speech Recognition and make sure "Run Speech Recognition" is not selected/ticked (which in my case it was). Than switch back to whatever your original language was and happy commanding.

Thanks a lot for this hint, mate. Now the message is gone and Speech Recognition in Voice Attack still works. 👍

I have a slight problem with VoiceAttack in ETS2. It recognize what I say, and seemingly press the keys I have commanded it to, but it doesn't work in ETS2. I have, for example, a command set to press the K button when I say "map", which results in a "k". Am I doing something wrong? :odd: @LogiForce

I have a slight problem with VoiceAttack in ETS2. It recognize what I say, and seemingly press the keys I have commanded it to, but it doesn't work in ETS2. I have, for example, a command set to press the K button when I say "map", which results in a "k". Am I doing something wrong? :odd: @LogiForce

If you go back to your key mapping in Voice Attack make sure you have selected that the key press is made via Directx.

Like here in the lower right under Key Input Mode. Most likely it is now set to standard.

VoiceAttackHelp_html_m276561f8.png

That was my problem, I didn't select DirectX. I've been through all of my commands for the game, selected DirectX and now it works absolutely like a charm. Thanks! :cheers:

Back