What Grinds your Gears?

• Thread starter MadMike'86
  • 10,373 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is one time where I agree with Parkourveyron. Dooglers, we're talking about a Lexus, a wannabe luxury car. If we were talking about a BMW, Mercedes-Benz, you know, an actual luxury car, that'd be different. What grinds my gears? Nobody I know watches The Good Wife besides me.

Picture looks clear on the camera's screen.... transfers to computer; turns out it wasn't 🤬

The fact that it is snowing, for the first time here, in mid-to-late February. I already have a 2 hour delay for school so if it ends up getting canceled, I have to go to school on a friday on a supposed to be 3 and a half day school week with next Sunday being my birthday so instead of a 3 and a half day birthday weekend, it would only be a standard weekend.

Plus its not even sticking to the road

That i cant remember what its called when there is a residence in one country but belongs to another country ahhh!!!

Are you talking about an embassy? Another word is consulate, but they both mean the same thing.

Not saying that it does, but:

test_open_400x354.jpg

Now, I know you like the car, but don't act like an arrogant VIP just 'cause it's a Lexus, a Toyota with makeup, basically. You have every right to like it, but don't go around saying that it's better than every other car and it deserves special treatment because of that. It's no '96 Taurus, but it's closer to the Taurus than a LFA. You act like you're the President driving the LFA.

I'm not saying that it's better than every other car. I know it's a Toyota with makeup, but guess what? It was a good Toyota to begin with, made better when they put a Lexus badge on it. It's a perfectly fine car, and thousands of people agree; just look at all of those stories out there about people switching from Mercs or Beemers to Lexuses (or Lexii, not sure what the plural form it) and insisting that they'll never go back. That's saying something right there : intelligent people going for the less established Japanese luxury car brand that less people know about rather than one of the German manufacturers. Obviously, Toyota knew what they were doing. And I'm not being protective of it just because it's a Lexus, either. If it were a BMW, I'd still park it far away, same goes if it was a Merc, and Audi, Infiniti, etc. And I certainly don't blame all the other people who I see doing it too.

This is one time where I agree with Parkourveyron. Dooglers, we're talking about a Lexus, a wannabe luxury car. If we were talking about a BMW, Mercedes-Benz, you know, an actual luxury car, that'd be different. What grinds my gears? Nobody I know watches The Good Wife besides me.

Are you complaining about my rants because of the situation I'm talking about, or just because the car in question happens to be a Lexus, a car that you're prejudiced against. A wannabe luxury car? That hurts, actually; that's just mean. Yeah, I know, it looks a whole lot like an S-Class Merc, but I'm fine with that. Sometimes the copy can be better than the original, just look at the smash hit that the LS400 was; it put Japanese and luxury into the same sentence and sent a good shock to its European rivals. I've been in a couple of Lexuses, (or Lexii, still need to figure that out) and every single one of them have been a good experience. A Lexus is just as nice as your comparable Merc, though, sometimes they're a bit better or worse. Same goes for BMW, as long as you don't go around a corner. And, Vandenal, have you actually ever been in a Lexus? If not, then please don't drag out this argument.

Are you complaining about my rants because of the situation I'm talking about, or just because the car in question happens to be a Lexus, a car that you're prejudiced against.

No, what people are "complaining" about is the fact that you seem to think having a nice car entitles you to extra space between your car and the next.

If people start dinging your car, then you have reason to complain, but let's face it, some people can't park very well and are more concerned about not hitting the other car than they are about how much space is left. A lexus is a nice car, but it does not entitle you to anything.

Personally, when parking, I'd be more concerned if I'm parking near an expensive car, but I give everyone the same consideration regardless of the car.

What grinds my gears? Fiat reliability.

Alright, I absolutely adore the Fiat 124 Spider. It is an amazing car, it looks pretty awesome, it's crazy fun, and it's one of the greatest cars I have driven. But there is one thing that bugs me. the reliability. Yesterday, I started it up after being winterized. I went on a short drive. Everything was going well, I was enjoying it, then suddenly it starts grinding into each gear, badly, and I know it's not the clutch, so it looks like I will be replacing a gearbox in the near future.

Oh yes, and this,

No, what people are "complaining" about is the fact that you seem to think having a nice car entitles you to extra space between your car and the next.

If people start dinging your car, then you have reason to complain, but let's face it, some people can't park very well and are more concerned about not hitting the other car than they are about how much space is left. A lexus is a nice car, but it does not entitle you to anything.

Personally, when parking, I'd be more concerned if I'm parking near an expensive car, but I give everyone the same consideration regardless of the car.
I completely agree with.

Eh, I suppose I have to agree with that. :indiff:

Well, I'm back at school today (after half term) and I've got the feeling of anxiety in my stomach, the feeling that I've forgotten something. Which is odd, because I'm still in bed. But it happens most days, it's just that I don't trust my own preparation, and I hate it. I also get pretty worried when the bus is only I few minutes later than yesterday. I wish I could relax more, but I find it very difficult. Maybe I should start cycling to school, put myself in control.

I don't understand it. It's not new, it's 10 years old. It's a 10-year old luxury car that wasn't even top of the line to begin with, and you're acting like it's a Ferrari. I have nothing against said car or Lexus, but you're putting it up on a pedestal where something better should go. Let's face it, it's the same kind of car an ambassador from a sad, poor, broke third-world country would drive. I'm not trying to make you feel bad or anything, (I'm sorry if I have) but it's just that you think owning a nice car entitles you to VIP status, and you couldn't be more wrong. If you love the car then more power to you.

I don't understand it. It's not new, it's 10 years old. It's a 10-year old luxury car that wasn't even top of the line to begin with, and you're acting like it's a Ferrari. I have nothing against said car or Lexus, but you're putting it up on a pedestal where something better should go. Let's face it, it's the same kind of car an ambassador from a sad, poor, broke third-world country would drive. I'm not trying to make you feel bad or anything, (I'm sorry if I have) but it's just that you think owning a nice car entitles you to VIP status, and you couldn't be more wrong. If you love the car then more power to you.

What's wrong with it being old? A 10 year old S-Class is still a nice car, as is a 15 MK-IV Supra, and a 20 year old LS400, etc. Old stuff can be nice, too.

I'd treat my car like it's the best in the world and deserves special attention, simply because, it's my car. Why would I want someone to ruin the piece machinery that I use every day? Certainly no one would want such a thing, right?

A car is a car. Like what Doogerls said above, other cars are old too. The difference may only be that it's more popular.

I'd treat my car like it's the best in the world and deserves special attention, simply because, it's my car. Why would I want someone to ruin the piece machinery that I use every day? Certainly no one would want such a thing, right?

👍

---

What grinds my gears? The heat inside my house...

A car is a car. Like what Doogerls said above, other cars are old too. The difference may only be that it's more popular.

:bowdown: Thank you!!!
This is exactly what I think! You couldn't have said it better. 👍

What's wrong with it being old? A 10 year old S-Class is still a nice car, as is a 15 MK-IV Supra, and a 20 year old LS400, etc. Old stuff can be nice, too.
I know, I said I have nothing against said car, it isn't bad at all. I'm just saying you're taking this whole "luxury car" thing a little too far. :lol: Yes, it's a luxury car, but it's not a Bentley/Rolls/Bugatti/$150,000 Merc. If you owned one of those I could understand why you're complaining.

What grinds my gears?

Racing in a 2hr Nurb race, in 305hp cars, and leading second by 11 seconds and 3rd by 90 seconds on lap 10 only to suffer cramp so bad I had to spend a minute walking it off and end up finishing 3rd :(

See I'd played cricket the day before (on sat) and spent all day in 35 Celsius heat on the field sweating buckets thus emptying my body of salt. I then raced my first 2hr Nurb race that night at 1:50am which I lost by 00.168 (also a gear grinder) then went to bed at 3am for 4 hrs 45 min and started my second race at 8:30 am... the cramp kicked in at lap ten in my calf, thigh, back and hand :( It was an all out full on brutal attack of pain right when I didn't need it.

I made it go away by walking around my house while chewing mouthfuls of sea salt :yuk:

And that folks is what grinds my gears :(

🤬

Shaving. Shaving grinds my gears.

It's such a tedious, dull, monotonous task that has to be kept on top of every 2-3 days or so. My under-the-chin hair grows much, much faster than the rest of my facial hair so I have to cut it regularly.

If only my parents weren't so snobby about it, I would have a better ****ing PC.

I thought snobby parents would buy you a new PC simply to say to their friends and other parents 'Oh, we had to buy a new PC, and simply had to get a high-end one'

This thread is past it's bedtime methinks.

It looks to to have become a slow chat, water cooler kind of place to talk about nothing in particular under the guise of something 'gear grinding'. 100 posts in the last day alone underlines this. It also seems fairly common occurance (a random visit to page 463 on my browser shows conversation about whether smoking should be allowed on airplanes for example).

If there is that much you have to contribute the flora, do so where every can contribute and hear your thoughts, not buried 500 pages into a monster thread :).

Lights out then.

PS: this is not an invitation to move to the same conversations to any other thread, lest the same fate befall it too...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back