What you'd like to see for the GT6 Photomode section: A community thread!

• Thread starter SlipZtrEm
  • 55 comments

SlipZtrEm

can't kick this feeling
Staff Emeritus
Canada
Toronto
NewAesthetic
SlipZtrEm
Hello folks! :cheers:

As you all know, we're at the two week mark for GT6. It's cutting it a bit closer than I would've preferred, but this thread is long overdue; let's discuss how we can even further improve this section of the site for GT6's arrival :)

A long time ago, I created this thread in preparation for GT5, and it turned out very well. It's really a testament to the community how smoothly the Photomode section has run over the past three years, and how popular its been. It's a cliché, but true; you've all made this place what it is 👍

That said, there's always room for improvement. This thread will be to discuss possible changes moving forward, and to make things easier, let's try and break them down into different categories:

General section: Well, this one right here! The general section has been used for a lot of things - pretty much anything Photomode related, really - and will still be around with the next game. We'll eventually have a few stickied threads, much like this section now: the FAQ/Depot will be moved in, a request thread to keep things tidy. @GT-R had an excellent suggestion of a stickied Meet-up thread, one that houses a central GTP username / PSN name database so we can all find each other easily. This will definitely be a great help 👍

Photomode Competitions: Ah, of course :D. These will be continuing onward, with our current selection and the ever-able @Nato_777 helping me host. There will be some slight rule tinkering going on with 2.0 to make things clearer for editors, but otherwise, business as usual so far as we can see! We've ironed out many of the bumps we've experienced with the new site software (polls), and will likely be bumping poll numbers back up for the first few months to better reflect the higher entry rate GT6 is expected to bring. Oh, and the first two weeks will be more or less open themes, at least for PMC and 2.0. The GT5 competitions will wrap up in week 156 - official support from GTP staff will stop, at any rate, so if someone would like to grab the torch, they will need new banners. I'm unsure at the moment of what Nato plans with the CCCL and SS' final weeks.

Photomode Galleries: These have had literally millions of views, so yeah, of course this is coming back :P. The CPG Director account will return, to allow for a Directory of banners for all user's galleries, just as soon as I update the GT5 equivalent one final time. As always, folks are free to set their galleries up pretty much any way they want - that's the beauty of it! With the addition of GTP's easy-to-use photo upload feature, you also no longer need to head to other websites :) An interesting fact from @Jordan I didn't notice until now as well; with the thumbnail option the uploader provides, it fits them perfectly into three-wide columns, if you so choose. One important thing to remember with the new software, however, is that it no longer allows images to touch seamlessly vertically. I just checked my gallery and... oh dear. The horror.

So, that's my rambling quotient for the day filled. But the question is; what do you, the community, want that you think could further improve the Photomode experience here at GTP? Have a suggestion about the competitions? A killer gallery idea? Let's get them out there, and continue to make the Photomode section the most tight-knit, inviting sub-section of the GT forums :D

P.S. I actually didn't realize how similar this thread was to the old GT4/GT5 one until I looked it up. Whoa!

In total, no. For individual posts, yes, I believe so; it may be 10 or 12.

Looking forward to see what ideas anyone has for the GT6 Photomode section.

As for CCCL and SSC competitions, these will wind up for GT5 with weeks 142 and 131 respectively. Again if someone else wishes to continue them on in the GT5 section they may do so (unofficially). Though I would suspect that the GT5 Photomode section will very quickly become a ghost town, well especially the Competition section.

For GT6, like the PMC and 2.0 competitions, SSC will start off with open themes for the first two weeks so the winner of SSC week 131 will not become judge but their entry will grace the GT6 SSC week 1 banner. With the CCCL however I will carry the judging over from week 142 to week 1 in the GT6 section.

Very much looking forward to seeing some old faces (so to speak) around the section again with GT6. :)
And thanks everyone for all your participation in the comps over the past 3 years, you all rock! :cheers:

See you on the other side. :)

First off, thanks for all you and the rest do on these boards Jordan, Slipz and Nato - great work. :cheers: I have only two thoughts regarding the photomode forums. The first concerns the aesthetic layout of the comps. It would be nice if there was a way to separate the the layout into 3 distinct groups: (1) open comps, (2) open polls, and (3) closed comps and polls. It would make it easier to peruse the comps. The second thought has to do with the general forum. I am assuming all the major car manufacturers will be represented in the forum; e.g., "Post your Lambos here!", etc. Maybe if you set up a thread for each of the different major car makers first and segregated them from the rest of the threads, it would tidy up the layout a bit. Also, the major threads from the GT5, i.e., "Realistic Photos", "Artistic Photos", etc., could be included from the outset as well. It may cut down on the duplication in the forum knowing that there are "official" threads already developed by the moderators.

Also, the major threads from the GT5, i.e., "Realistic Photos", "Artistic Photos", etc., could be included from the outset as well. It may cut down on the duplication in the forum knowing that there are "official" threads already developed by the moderators.
Exactly what I thought. I believe those big threads would be better off controlled by the mods, to avoid the duplication and maybe make the rules a bit clearer and the thread tidier.

First off, thanks for all you and the rest do on these boards Jordan, Slipz and Nato - great work. :cheers: I have only two thoughts regarding the photomode forums. The first concerns the aesthetic layout of the comps. It would be nice if there was a way to separate the the layout into 3 distinct groups: (1) open comps, (2) open polls, and (3) closed comps and polls. It would make it easier to peruse the comps. The second thought has to do with the general forum. I am assuming all the major car manufacturers will be represented in the forum; e.g., "Post your Lambos here!", etc. Maybe if you set up a thread for each of the different major car makers first and segregated them from the rest of the threads, it would tidy up the layout a bit. Also, the major threads from the GT5, i.e., "Realistic Photos", "Artistic Photos", etc., could be included from the outset as well. It may cut down on the duplication in the forum knowing that there are "official" threads already developed by the moderators.

3 great ideas. 👍

I agree with Primus, it's really nice ideas. Also there are some great tutorials and a lot of interesting and useful stuff in GT5 photomode section (leeislee's and Nato's tutorials,Q&A thread,Hall of Fame,etc). It would be nice to have a thread with links to all this stuff.

In my opinion photomode section is good as it is already.:) I also looking forward to see some new ideas too.

:cheers:

Last edited:
Thanks guys, it's good to hear some feedback from the regulars 👍

I'll definitely keep in mind the idea of changing the actual post layouts depending on open comps, polls, and closed threads (as @Primus Ortus suggested). It does mean a little bit more work, but as my old method of closing threads no longer works with the new software, I actually have to "go into" them now, so it wouldn't be hard to, say, change out the lead image to one with a giant "CLOSED" stamped on top ;). The lock system is put in place to try and solve that too; we had some odd times in GT4 when folks would enter a long-dormant week, so I try to close threads ASAP these days to avoid that happening.

I'm not completely sold on the idea of the staff setting up manufacturer/popular threads themselves before the community gets a chance; it seems too restrictive IMO, and I'd rather leave it to the community to organically decide which makes require an entire thread. It'd also make the general section more confusing to navigate at the beginning, as there'd be a ton of threads for one-car makes flooding the page. Personally, speaking through the experience I've had with the GT5 section, I don't mind having to close/merge the odd duplicate thread if need be :). So long as a thread has a strong OP and a clear goal in mind, I don't think it's all too important who's created it 👍

I've been toying with a sneak preview, but I think I'll leave it up to surprise... :D

A realistic photo section. Just so that the large number of realistic photo crowd have somewhere to go without 10 different threads opening and being lost. Threads within could be, General Realistic Photos, Stock Realistic, Shopped Realistic and so on.

I would love to merge my GT5 gallery with my (upcoming:D) GT6 one. I think I will carry on taking GT5 pictures. Would that be possible?👍

Ahh, and maybe a photo request thread for people who won't have the game from day one?

A realistic photo section. Just so that the large number of realistic photo crowd have somewhere to go without 10 different threads opening and being lost. Threads within could be, General Realistic Photos, Stock Realistic, Shopped Realistic and so on.

A whole section for one (admittedly popular) style might be overkill, and set a precedent for other styles wanting their own subforums. I can run the idea by Jordan, however! I personally see no problem with those three examples all being their own threads - I know some people take issue with editing, so perhaps keeping a straight-from-game thread for realism would solve some of that hostility 👍

I would love to merge my GT5 gallery with my (upcoming:D) GT6 one. I think I will carry on taking GT5 pictures. Would that be possible?👍

GT5 galleries will be staying in the GT5 Photomode section - that makes the most sense, no? ;) You can always put links in each gallery linking to the other, of course - I've done that, and have tried to fit my more recent ones in my sig as well.

Ahh, and maybe a photo request thread for people who won't have the game from day one?

Oh, absolutely! :cheers:

I hope people post rules in the OP so that people won't just "dump" pictures with big numbers and heavy sizes.

Was planning to do this for my newer version of Post your latest Pics but someone already has created one do if you can add that to the OP of the thread then great 👍

I hope people post rules in the OP so that people won't just "dump" pictures with big numbers and heavy sizes.

Was planning to do this for my newer version of Post your latest Pics but someone already has created one do if you can add that to the OP of the thread then great 👍

Probably those threads will be deleted :)

Expanding on this, I think there should just be a general rule to not post the same picture in more threads than one (apart from your gallery). I found it so annoying in the GT5 photomode forum when people would post the same pic in 10 different threads, not even changing the description or anything. Just straight copy/paste.

Exceptions to this would probably be threads like "showcase of the week" etc.

Expanding on this, I think there should just be a general rule to not post the same picture in more threads than one (apart from your gallery). I found it so annoying in the GT5 photomode forum when people would post the same pic in 10 different threads, not even changing the description or anything. Just straight copy/paste.

Would agree, People sometimes post the same 5 pictures in multiple threads.

I'll do it. If I have a black and white shot of a Lambo in Nurb why would I share it only in "Realistic" / "Black and White" / "Lambos" or "Green Hell" thread? If that happens a lot of threads will be useless. I don't see any problem posting the same picture in various treads if they fit the theme. I usually do it but not every single time. :)

I'll do it. If I have a black and white shot of a Lambo in Nurb why would I share it only in "Realistic" / "Black and White" / "Lambos" or "Green Hell" thread? If that happens a lot of threads will be useless. I don't see any problem posting the same picture in various treads if they fit the theme. I usually do it but not every single time. :)
I like to check several threads, and seeing the same photo in all of them is kind of annoying. I say post the pic in the thread that's best suited for the photo.

Looking forward to a fresh start. With the photomode skills I've learned over the past few years on here, my wait for PS4 will be very shortened thanks to Gran Turismo 6 and GTPlanet.

is it okay that I created a thread which says GT5/GT6 photomode comparison? Or do I have to request it here? Sorry it's my first time creating a thread :nervous:

Thanks, @Jordan ;)

SlipZ, yay! Glad to see you back on the job because I'm hoping to contribute a lot more in here as the game picks up. Great to see things set up and moving already, and all the old hands back at work - some eye-popping creativity in here.

Obviously a tidy and organized Board is a priority when it comes to creativity - or else Bedlam ensures - but as time goes on I guess we'll see the Forum sub-sectioned further for better accessibility, and immediate visibility of choices, and also bringing into focus areas for discussion (whether illustrated or not) regarding GT6's Photomode application within, and without, the game.

:D Wordy, ain't I?

TBH - though, I'm a picture guy. Might as well say a thousand words in one shot. The word 'photo' in my UserID is no random accident - I love photography. I'm not sure if there is a stat out there that reflects it - probably Jordan knows - but I must be fairly high on that list of 'Most photos posted at GTPlanet.' I'll say three words and post a pic to illustrate what I'm saying. :lol:
When Jordan announced during the upgrade of the site that there would be no limits on the photos I almost fell over. It was already at a 200 pic limit per post and even that was already high enough for me.
However, since I was engaged in a wholly different experiment with GT5, I hardly contributed anything to the previous iteration of the Photomode Sub Forum - hanging out at the Rumble strip of course - and the Off-Topic Photography Sub Forum. With GT6, I've plunged in right away, keeping pace with the updates, and already wildly excited at the immense photo possibilities (a reminder that GT6 is many things - not just four wheels and a set of pedals) and hope to involve myself with other fanatic photodogs here as we pursue both our passion for cars . . . and photography.

'nuff said?

:cheers:
Harry.

Really excited at what lays ahead for us all ..... this photomode forum is really starting to snowball in under a week since release and so good to see some of the old GT5 crowd back on the scene.

Pretty much agree with most of the suggestions here.....like @Primus Ortus and @Fyshokid points in particular.

My one main thing that I would like to see is some sort of restriction or dare I say 'ban' on posting Full Size previews in the threads........... I use about 5 or 6 different devices to log onto GTPlanet and these do nothing to enhance my viewing experience whatever I'm using. Scrolling is a slog and I actually appreciate and see a shot much clearer ironically when its 800px or less. Not sure if this is even possible to enforce unless quoted at the top of each threads OP.

Sorry if it sounds like a whinge....its not meant to, its just a gripe but in truth I love 99.9999999% of what you guys (Mods and Contributors alike) do here and I shall remain a humble 'poster' for a long time to come :cheers:

GT6 Photomode Competitions | Poll criticism
I would like to discuss the idea of requiring a short constructive criticism from every voter:
after having casted your vote you have to justify your decision and explain why you voted for it. This would help understand the Miracle Of The Polls

I would like it if the Like button disapears; It makes people lazy by just clicking LIKE instead of leaving a comment.
I am guilty of this as well.

GT6 Photomode Competitions | Poll criticism
I would like to discuss the idea of requiring a short constructive criticism from every voter:
after having casted your vote you have to justify your decision and explain why you voted for it. This would help understand the Miracle Of The Polls
I'll post this here too - already posted in reply to conversation in the SSC Poll thread...

It is a phenomenon of the polls that some very good entries sometimes don't appear to poll well. It is the single vote that mostly causes that. If there are 3 entries that you consider worthy of your vote you still can only choose one and sometimes it's just that a great entry ends up being the majorities "second choice" so misses out on the votes.
It would be very interesting if we could each nominate our top 3 entries - giving 3 points to our #1 choice, 2 to our 2nd and 1 to our 3rd. I think the same entry would probably still win but the results then would be much more representative of the overall quality of the entries and give us a better idea of our performance.
Would be cool to try it sometime in conjunction with the regular poll, just have everyone state their top 3 entries in the thread when they place their vote and then do the math.

I think something like this would give a better idea of how/why the votes are being cast and may be easier/less daunting than posting a critique.

@veryferry:
Seems to me the »LIKE« button indeed has silenced a lot of people compared to those GT5 comps. On the other hand, you might take comfort in a couple of likes instead of making the poll or even winning.

@Nato_777:
I love the idea of casting stepped points for a TOP 3 (or TOP 5).
May help improve my approach to shoot a photo...

Let's give it a try!

I think a problem with justifying your choice would be, that many people just choose a picture just out of their mood...

What I mean is, that I could sometimes only justify my choice with "because I like it"... There is sometimes no particular reason to choose one picture.

We could of course just use the multiple choice vote system for all the competition polls like we do for the tournament qualifier. The main issue we have with that as comp hosts is that multi-choice polls more often than not end up in a tie breaker situation, which means creating a new poll and drags the process out. I think a weighted multiple vote system could work better and possibly not end in a tie as often as a regular multi-vote.
I doubt that the software would be able to support such a voting system however, though it should be programmable the question is, is it worth the time and effort for a fairly small section of the community.

Back