Why do people pump the gas pedal?

• Thread starter Sage
  • 64 comments
Sometimes on my way home and bored I'll rapidly push my throttle in and out to make the car shudder badly.

Some of you guys have some weird cruise control habits. Like turning it off. You don't have to engage the brakes to turn it off--just flick the switch. The light switch comes on--or should--long before the brakes do. In my manual car I usually use the clutch switch to disengage cruise. My car has a mechanical throttle so the gas pedal moves with the throttle, so if I want a smooth transition all I have to do is keep it where it is.

Well in the Chevy Tahoe the switch is on the wiper stalk, and we always just leave it in the "on" position (switch goes off-on-restart, with set on the end of the stalk), so it's simply easier to just tap the brake peddle to cancel it.

lets put the whole thing in a nutshell: everybody drives differently.

there's too many sharp curves and downhills around here for me to comfortably USE cruise. and now that my damn speedo cable broke...

Some of you guys have some weird cruise control habits. Like turning it off. You don't have to engage the brakes to turn it off--just flick the switch.
If I flick the switch to turn it off then it will lose my speed setting, but if I get in traffic and then get back in the clear after having disengaged it using my brakes I just flip it toward resume and it even accelerates back to my initial speed.

Well in the Chevy Tahoe the switch is on the wiper stalk, and we always just leave it in the "on" position (switch goes off-on-restart, with set on the end of the stalk), so it's simply easier to just tap the brake peddle to cancel it.

I think he meant the brake light switch. Just touch the brake pedal enough to disengage the cruise without actually dragging the brakes. Not hard to do.

The thing about cruise that I hate is being behind people who think they're "locked" by the cruise control. They're .000357 milers per hour faster than the car they're passing, so it takes them 73 miles to complete the pass, while you wait behind them, third in line. Geez, push the gas, go on by, and change lanes!!!! Worse, half of those people that take 73 miles to make the pass actually do speed up when they finish and change lanes!!! WTF!!??!?

I think he meant the brake light switch. Just touch the brake pedal enough to disengage the cruise without actually dragging the brakes. Not hard to do.

Well I don't drag the brakes, I don't even apply them...I said that I just tap the peddle to turn off the cruise.

If I flick the switch to turn it off then it will lose my speed setting, but if I get in traffic and then get back in the clear after having disengaged it using my brakes I just flip it toward resume and it even accelerates back to my initial speed.

That's odd - my cruise control will resume the last speed setting if I hit Res then On.

Though I've found that cruise control costs me about 0.5mpg compared to the same journey with Fam control.

As I learned to drive in an old car with a heavy throttle spring, I picked up the habit of laying my foot sideways on the floor and modulating my speed by "flexing" my toes.
I still sort of lay my foot in such a fashion that my toes contact the transmission tunnel to overcome the throttle return spring. (with the least amount of effort on my part--I imagine this to be similar to FAM control)
I'd be willing to bet that almost all the people that you know that do this drive with their whole damn foot on the accelerator, with only the point of thier heel on the floor.

As far as using the brakes to disengage the cruise control: Only when I'm coming to a stop. I usually use the disengage function of the lever (in my Toyota) or the button (in my wife's Mazda6) to disengage without using the brake.
I've found that tapping the brake pedal at 70 MPH tends to freak out the drivers behind you, even is you don't slow noticeably.
I guess even idiots don't like being brake checked.

Though I've found that cruise control costs me about 0.5mpg compared to the same journey with Fam control.
That was common complaint back at the Lexus shop, for some reason; the older folks who used it for long periods of time, quipped about that every so often, although not enough to gripe about it. I think they just set the CC at a higher speed than they'd normally drive (which is rather scary concept to me).

It doesn't make sense to me, since most speed-control methods do not typically downshift to lower gears unless climbing a steep hill, and they do not run off a drive nor accessory belt, because it's all electrical. Maybe the slight loss at the charging system makes up for it.

Last edited:
I imagine that the issue stems from reactivity compared to proactivity.

When I set the cruise control to 70mph, it reacts to the surroundings to maintain 70mph. Uphill it applies the throttle as it senses the speed dropping to keep it at 70mph. If I was in control, I'd apply more throttle before I got there (and engines are using fuel more efficiently the wider open the throttle is) - pushing over the set speed - so that I didn't need to use anywhere near as much to maintain speed up the hill.

And we have lots of hills :D

I guess by maintaining an exact 70mph and reacting to the conditions, rather than an average 70mph and preparing for the next set of conditions, the control isn't using the engine quite as efficiently. But really it's one part in sixty's difference.

Yup, cruise control not only adds throttle up hills, but cuts the throttle while going down them to maintain the set speed. In an area with rolling hills, that's the complete opposite of what you want to do.

My cruise control pumps the gas. So I don't use it.
(It'll vary by about 3-4 km/h over the course of a couple minutes on a flat highway)

They've being playing too much 'Driver' on the PS1 where cops are about... Brings back memories of playing that game and having to pump the throttle to keep to a speed slower than the cops...

Have you asked them why they do it? That could probably give you a better answer...

I noticed that my mother does this the other week when I was riding in the car with her. Honestly I kind of wish I had just ridden my bike over to my friends house. I felt like I was going to throw up.

I've been driving the Volvo around in the snow and I've noticed that I am very bad with doing this in that car. But I'm guessing that's because it's pretty different from the VW in the way it drives. Maybe it's also more noticeable because the car downshifts and clunks a bit to go faster.

ya know, i oughta take a rolling vid out here of my routine work run and show you guys what a mile long downhill without a zillion switchbacks looks like. cause most of you guys give me the impression you all live on a dead-flat curveless roads where you can go 6 zillion miles/kph. and i know dang well this ain't true!
I used to use the same trick gil was talking about, driving with toe tips...untill I slid off the road in craptacular weather twice because of over-driving.

I've been driving the Volvo around in the snow and I've noticed that I am very bad with doing this in that car. But I'm guessing that's because it's pretty different from the VW in the way it drives. Maybe it's also more noticeable because the car downshifts and clunks a bit to go faster.
I have noticed that my VW has a fairly stiff gas pedal, so when I drive other cars I tend to let my foot rest lightly on the gas pedal and they don't support the weight like my VW can.

ya know, i oughta take a rolling vid out here of my routine work run and show you guys what a mile long downhill without a zillion switchbacks looks like. cause most of you guys give me the impression you all live on a dead-flat curveless roads where you can go 6 zillion miles/kph. and i know dang well this ain't true!
I used to use the same trick gil was talking about, driving with toe tips...untill I slid off the road in craptacular weather twice because of over-driving.
It isn't the kind of roads as much as it is the condition of the roads. I have this set of tight esses on the road I live on and in good weather I will occasionally switch off my stability management and have some fun with them, but when it rains there is always an accident in them.

I have driven my fair share of switchbacks in the mountains when visiting family, and while you can't be wild you can still enjoy them. But when I ride with family that lives there they fly through those things and have me hanging on for dear life.

I know people who do something like pumping the pedal with cruise control, which drives me crazy. I don't know why he hasn't figured out that he should probably set it at a lower speed, but its always on-off-on-off-on-off with him while going between Kalamazoo and Battle Creek.

In the city, most roads are straight so you're going to have some speed that you're cruising at for some distance no matter what. But don't worry, especially here, there are quite a few roads with the downhills and the twisties going.

I have noticed that my VW has a fairly stiff gas pedal, so when I drive other cars I tend to let my foot rest lightly on the gas pedal and they don't support the weight like my VW can.

That would probably also explain why my foot hurts so much after doing a good long stint in a different car. I drove from Michigan to New York and back with a right foot that felt like it was cramping almost all the way because of the pedal feel.

foolkiller
It isn't the kind of roads as much as it is the condition of the roads. I have this set of tight esses on the road I live on and in good weather I will occasionally switch off my stability management and have some fun with them, but when it rains there is always an accident in them.

I have driven my fair share of switchbacks in the mountains when visiting family, and while you can't be wild you can still enjoy them. But when I ride with family that lives there they fly through those things and have me hanging on for dear life.

there's the difference, even down where your closer to the Appalachians than I am. the boobs who designed these roads went straight UP or DOWN the bleedin hills, and all the curves that ARE on them are perfect 90 degree angles around property lines and old farmers fields. throw in some of the major highways are ALSO deigned like this, AND i run daily on 1.5 lane back roads and dirt roads in the state with the biggest reputation for Craptacular maintenence in the East (they don't start even basic plowing in some places untill eight or 9 in the morning, when the union boys get to work!)

also, i have had only 3 vehicles with more than basic airbags and/or ABS (rear wheel only), and those in a no-longer working condition. I do not have safety nannies to worry about.

Gil: ever notice that these young guns don't know what it's like to drive something with no helpers? same thing that the guys who drove around in column shift manuals with no radios and barely a heater said to US :P

made me feel SO old, now :P

Have you asked them why they do it? That could probably give you a better answer...

No, it probably wouldn't. Most of them would probably give you a blank stare and say "What are you talking about? I don't pump the gas pedal."

The switch that I was talking about is the brake light/cruise control switch on the brake pedal. I was referring to how some people "tap" the pedal so hard that they actually engage the brakes, instead of just tapping it lightly enough to activate the switch on the pedal.

But I use the switch on the clutch pedal to turn it off, because flashing brake lights on the highway piss me off and I refuse to be a hypocrite and flash my own.

And Duke, you're right about their cow-in-headlights reaction. I've asked.

Gil: ever notice that these young guns don't know what it's like to drive something with no helpers? same thing that the guys who drove around in column shift manuals with no radios and barely a heater said to US :P

made me feel SO old, now :P

You know, I'm one of those "geezers" that learned to drive a manual in a series of vehicles with a "3 on the tree" shifter!:lol:
One of them even required stepping on the starter, as it was mounted on the floor.
You learned real quick to either firmly depress the clutch before stepping on the starter, or pulling that lever down into neutral.:lol:

I can simpathise with you on this one. Reminds me of my trip to Hong Kong, got a taxi from the airport into the city and because the driver was used to driving inbetween lights all the time, he had no idea of how to maintain a constant speed. The van was shaking back and forwards for about an hour!

Back