Will PD Even Bother Making Another Game?

ScottPuss20

Pretty Kitty
Premium
Australia
Melbourne
ScottPuss20
CheetahsMeow
Perhaps I'm looking too far into the future but I fear that we may not get another GT game. After the debacle over reduced event payouts early in GT7's life, we are told to look at things from a "long-term" perspective which suggests that GT7 could be with us for a while. Now my ultimate concern is that PD won't bother making GT8 because much has been made of the "game as a service" model, and even Kaz himself says that PD "don't make games" anymore. I would be bitterly disappointed if this happens because GT7 has a few issues that I'd want PD to address in a new title. Namely the career structure as it doesn't give you a whole lot of freedom. Grouping all the events by track is stupid because it adds an necessary amount of hassle and extra button presses for no good reason, whilst the cafe only serves to irritate those who just want to do things THEIR way. These two things cannot be changed with an update so I hope Kaz sees sense and realises the beauty of a sandbox career mode again. However if he does treat GT7 as a service, we're doomed and the franchise will never fulfill it's potential.

Last edited:
Sony's strategy going forward is to use their tentpole AAA games to fund their attempts to build the next Fortnite-esque live service goldmine that they can then keep 100% of the profits from. From their financial reports they do not consider GT a live service game in the way they do MLB or upcoming stuff like TLoU Online/Fairgames/Concord.

So as long as GT sells well (which it has and still is, it's still a top-15 PS Store seller 16 months in), Sony will want sequels in the same way they will want TLoU/Horizon/God of War sequels.

Which will come first, GT8 or Playstation 6?
PS7 :-) :-) Going on the past delays and fiascos.

Sony's strategy going forward is to use their tentpole AAA games to fund their attempts to build the next Fortnite-esque live service goldmine that they can then keep 100% of the profits from. From their financial reports they do not consider GT a live service game in the way they do MLB or upcoming stuff like TLoU Online/Fairgames/Concord.

So as long as GT sells well (which it has and still is, it's still a top-15 PS Store seller 16 months in), Sony will want sequels in the same way they will want TLoU/Horizon/God of War sequels.
Also https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...b34dac-23fe-11ee-9201-826e5bb78fa1_story.html

Sony will probably lose COD titles or at very least MS will gouge them on pricing, so yes, Sony will want all the top games it can get its hands on.

Last edited by a moderator:
PD has always pushed graphical boundaries when new tech has enabled them to do so. They will continue doing so and creating new games goes hand in hand with that.

Last edited:
Perhaps I'm looking too far into the future but I fear that we may not get another GT game. After the debacle over reduced event payouts early in GT7's life, we are told to look at things from a "long-term" perspective which suggests that GT7 could be with us for a while. Now my ultimate concern is that PD won't bother making GT8 because much has been made of the "game as a service" model, and even Kaz himself says that PD "don't make games" anymore. I would be bitterly disappointed if this happens because GT7 has a few issues that I'd want PD to address in a new title. Namely the career structure as it doesn't give you a whole lot of freedom. Grouping all the events by track is stupid because it adds an necessary amount of hassle and extra button presses for no good reason, whilst the cafe only serves to irritate those who just want to do things THEIR way. These two things cannot be changed with an update so I hope Kaz sees sense and realises the beauty of a sandbox career mode again. However if he does treat GT7 as a service, we're doomed and the franchise will never fulfill it's potential.
They can't not deliver GT8. They don't earn anything from a season pass or paid DLC so no income to support GT7 as a game service.

They can't not deliver GT8. They don't earn anything from a season pass or paid DLC so no income to support GT7 as a game service.
Actually, they will going to earn more with the latter since the better GT7 gets with its live service, the more the sales will be increasing. A game can last for several years providing that it's constantly updated and supported thus continuing to sell well in the years to come. It's just more profitable in the long run than investing all the resources into developing a sequel which wouldn't come out soon anyway and with all the risks of turning out into a flop. I think such a strategy would be better for PD. That's not to say that GT8 might not be coming at some point, because it will, but it won't be as soon as some might think.

Their will be a new gran turismo game that for sure but not anytime soon, and hopefully then we have sophy in career mode, i dont expect it before end of 2026 at earlist but as of latest maybe in 2027, no gran turismo game has taking longer than 5 years

Their will be a new gran turismo game that for sure but not anytime soon, and hopefully then we have sophy in career mode, i dont expect it before end of 2026 at earlist but as of latest maybe in 2027, no gran turismo game has taking longer than 5 years
I think Q3/Q4 2027 for GT8

Some people say that GT7 will have a long life because it is a game that will be powered for many years, as Sony is sticking to the GaaS business model.

I do not believe in this thesis. First, because GT7 is a game that does not have the satisfactory structure of a GaaS game to be able to generate continuous income for Sony. Essentially it's a classic business where Sony makes revenue by selling game units. What's more, GT7 is a game built on top of the PS4.

In this way, it is inconceivable not to believe that currently the GT8 or GT Sport 2 is in full production.

I would bet that next year we will have concrete news of the successor to GT7. A Gran Turismo made exclusively on the basis of the PS5, exploring the full potential of the hardware, without the ceiling limit of the PS4, and very possibly structured as a GaaS game or more mixed with the traditional model, more than GT7.

My bet is that when GT8 comes - not if, but when - it'll be PS5-exclusive and likely take serious advantage of that. For example, more city courses, larger courses in general, larger fields of cars on some circuits, and possibly more dynamic weather. I also think that the overwhelming majority of cars from GT7 will make the jump to GT8, just as we saw with Sport. I don't even know if there'll be any cars with serious licensing issues this time around, unlike the Fittipaldi EF7 VGT or the Mercedes-AMG W08.

In-generation Gran Turismo sequels tend to arrive 3 years after the first release.

The PS5 Pro is due in November '24. I'd be amazed if GT8 is not one of the first titles to take advantage of the system given PD are one of Sony's go to developers for new tech. It's the obvious franchise to demo ray-tracing, improved PSVR2 performance, and so on. Given all game development is more time consuming than in years past, I also wouldn't rule out a PS5/PS5 Pro update for GT7. Then an all new GT8 in '25.

Last edited:
We're not even a year and a half into GT7, and thus not even at the fastest launch of a new main title, much less anywhere near the average after GT3. In order of shortest to longest, using the US release dates, here's the length of time between main GT titles:
  • GT2 to GT3 (also a change from the PS to PS2) - 576 days (1.58 years)
  • GT1 to GT2 - 640 days (1.75 years)
  • GT5 to GT6 - 1108 days (3.04 years)
  • GT3 to GT4 - 1323 days (3.62 years)
  • GT6 to GT Sport (also a change from the PS3 to PS4) - 1411 days (3.86 years)
  • GT Sport to GT7 (also a partial change to the PS5) - 1602 days (4.39 years)
  • GT4 to GT5 (also a change from the PS2 to the PS3) - 2101 days (5.75 years)
  • GT6 to GT7 (a change from the PS3 to PS4/PS5) - 3013 days (8.25 years)
The transition between GT6/GTS and GT7 was further impacted by roughly a year thanks to the pandemic and a late decision to make the code PS4-"friendly" (mostly a paring of the code to suit the PS4/PS4Pro's lower performance). Come back in 3 years - this is not EA where you have to shell out $70 (US) or more every 12 months.
Both (GT8 and PS6) will probably come before GTA 6 though.
Why would Rockstar release a new game when they have a flexible cash cow? That costs money.

We're not even a year and a half into GT7, and thus not even at the fastest launch of a new main title, much less anywhere near the average after GT3.

The transition between GT6/GTS and GT7 was further impacted by roughly a year thanks to the pandemic and a late decision to make the code PS4-"friendly" (mostly a paring of the code to suit the PS4/PS4Pro's lower performance). Come back in 3 years - this is not EA where you have to shell out $70 (US) or more every 12 months.
It's almost as if Sony/PD where aware PS5 Pro was in the pipeline for Q4 '24. Happy to compromise GT7 as a PS4/PS5 cross-gen title (userbase), knowing all resources can be focused on PS5/PS5 Pro GT8.

With PS5 Pro dev kits going out in November, we can be sure 1st Party has been in the loop for much longer. Not unlike PD ensuring GT7 code was PSVR2 code friendly from the outset. I really don't see a scenario where PD is still supporting PS4 (beyond basic maintenance) 2+ years after PS5 Pro has hit the market. We've already seen PS5 only updates from PD, and a full PS5 only DLC for HFW.

My only hesitation is if we'll see a PS5/PS5 Pro GT7 update first, ie branded as a Spec 2, to coincide with PS5 Pro's launch window. Or if PD move straight to GT8 in '25. Either way, I expect we'll see a version of Gran Turismo when PS5 Pro is demo'd.

Japanese Game development isn't like western development. They reuse assets like crazy. Why not make another? It going to be GT7 with some superficial addition and maybe a dozen new cars. The rest of the content will be pulled from the back catalogue which we all already paid for several times over.

It's a license to print money.

Some people say that GT7 will have a long life because it is a game that will be powered for many years, as Sony is sticking to the GaaS business model.

I do not believe in this thesis. First, because GT7 is a game that does not have the satisfactory structure of a GaaS game to be able to generate continuous income for Sony. Essentially it's a classic business where Sony makes revenue by selling game units. What's more, GT7 is a game built on top of the PS4.

In this way, it is inconceivable not to believe that currently the GT8 or GT Sport 2 is in full production.

I would bet that next year we will have concrete news of the successor to GT7. A Gran Turismo made exclusively on the basis of the PS5, exploring the full potential of the hardware, without the ceiling limit of the PS4, and very possibly structured as a GaaS game or more mixed with the traditional model, more than GT7.
I'd say that VR is more of a limitation on GT7 rather than the port of the game to the earlier system.

Japanese Game development isn't like western development. They reuse assets like crazy. Why not make another? It going to be GT7 with some superficial addition and maybe a dozen new cars. The rest of the content will be pulled from the back catalogue which we all already paid for several times over.

It's a license to print money.
I don't get why Ande3200 is giving a Poo emoji, you're right about that GT7 uses musics from older GTs. They use musics from Daiki Kasho which were on GT4 and GT6, maybe even GT5! Heck, GT Auto uses ''Get On!!!'' from Gran Turismo 5's GT Life menu's. GT6 had the family car cup music ''From the West to East'' from GT4 which in turn, was a music that played in the East City manufacturer zone in GT2, which's championship victory music was re-used in GT4 for the Bronze License Award theme, and got re-used in GT Sport for also the Bronze License Award theme and GT Sport's GT League music is GT2's arcade music.

Edit: Lower part redacted. I messed up about the US release date............ Sorry.

Last edited:
And don't come calling me new, I've played GT since it's very first US release in December 1997.
It wasn't released in the USA in December 1997. It was however released in Japan on that date (23rd, for reference); the US release was in May 1998.

It wasn't released in the USA in December 1997. It was however released in Japan on that date (23rd, for reference); the US release was in May 1998.
Gah, all right. I screwed up. My bad.

Last edited:
I think GT8 won't be released earlier than Christmas 2026. Do you agree guys?
Sony & PD generate revenue from new game releases and service titles. GT7 is neither of those, we're moving into the residual sales phase with discounting & bundling. There was a PSVR2 bump, probably the same from the movie, and perhaps one more marketing push later this year.

The PS4 market is done. Money is to be made from PS5 owners, and the early adopters (big spenders), who'll pick-up a PS5 Pro. 3 years is the accepted period for a sequel, if the dev is efficient enough to deliver on that. IE Spider-Man 2 will release almost 3 years to the day Miles Morales released. We're also in an era where ND remade TLOU for PS5, they're about to announce a TLOU2 PS5 remaster, and Guerrilla are working on a HZD PS5 remaster.

Come Q4 '24 all the major Sony studios will be looking to take advantage of PS5 Pro. At that point it makes little sense for PD to continue PS4 GT7 support beyond maintenance. Late '24, into '25 is when I expect a switch to PS5/PS5 Pro only support. Either with a new GT7 sku or GT8.

I am expecting GT8 at the end of 2025.
Until then it will be for sure a PS5 only game.
With GT8 they can source a lot from GT7 and thats why there will be not a big gap between GT7 and 8...

Last edited:
Yeah for sure a new small gt title will be out between end 2024 and end 2025 to push the ps5 pro.
1690017199472.png

Back