Driving Force Pro Pedal Problems

• Thread starter Arwin
  • 264 comments
Canadiandrifter
Also..I need to get some foam for the damn clicking noise..and maybe make the gas pedel stiffer..

How would you describe the clicking sound?

Is it like a creaking noise that is emitted when you slowly release the brake pedal?

I 'adjusted' the spring rate of the black spring and used the silver brake pedal spring to replace the one that broke in my gas pedal. Now I have this annoying clicking/creaking sound that eminates from roughly the same area when slowly releasing the brake.

It's quite annoying, and I tried putting a bit of foam in that slot (more like wrapping the end of the spring in foam and taping it) but it doesn't seem to be doing anything.

Maybe elaborate on this a bit?

I'll keep everyone updated on this..

holy moly batman!!!
ive had dfp for about 3 months, altho has not been used extensively.
recently ive experienced 15% throttle and auto brake problems, ive taped down the wires in the pedal box, but problems are reoccuring. i was cautious with opening the pedals because this is how i ****ed up my driving force pedals. at the moment i have Japanese gt4 and can only play when i borrow my cousins Japanese ps2, which isnt often, i wanna try to claim a free PAL gt4 game the same way foghorn_100 did on page 4, but my experiences with logitech customer service have not been good. Do u know if logitech is selling reconditioned or seperate DRIVING FORCE!!! (not pro) pedals for my other wheel? cos 2X wheels would be sickkk

I Read all posts about the paddles, but is there anyone who can confirm that if I take the paddlebase apart and applie the fixes,
the paddles will not hickup again during races??...

I crash into the walls each time I break before a big corner, because my (floored) gaspaddle goes from 100% to 0%, and when I break my brake doesn't even function at all.... during the fall-out I can see gas AND brake flickering on the screen and I crash again....

At first I thought it had something to do with completing 25% of the game, but that could be coincidance....

Is there anyone who allso feels the wheels force feedback work when gas and brake are "lost" ???....

please.... if anyone knows if the fix will also fix this, I would rather do it myself then calling Logitech.....

thnx in advance

first time poster. :dopey:

i've read throught pretty much every page on this issue and don't get it. why would "taping wires to the base" fix anything. they're just wires! if they're connected then they're connected. what would moving them or hot glueing the wires do? :crazy:

unless that for some reason glueing the wires supports the pot better then i guess that's work but i dont' get how "pulling a little more wire into the peddle compartment" fixes anything (other than adding some slack in the wire). 💡

please advise!

touch wood, my pedles are acting fine so far.

thanks fellas!!

Has anyone tried the squash ball fix to make it seem more like a real force behind the pedal when braking.... it looks pretty simple to do but I was wondering how far it actually goes to making the feel of the pedal more realistic, I originally posted this in the DFP thread but then saw this pedal thread so I thought I'd post it here, I was worrying that if you did put a squash ball in there you wouldn't be able to depress the pedal to the maximum and therfore not brake at 100% limiting your capability, but if it is self calibrating at the start of the race it wouldn't matter if you lost 10% of the depression due to this fix would it?

So if anyone has done it what did you think, did it give the pedal more feel, did it make it more like driving a real car, was it easier to brake, or harder to brake

Or even has anyone tried any other fixes to get more feel from their brake pedal?

I Called Logitech (Dutch) support this morning, and the guy was very kind (although it was 9.00 when I called and he sounded tired), and told me he would send me a new set of pedals. He confirmed the problem and said that it COULD solve the problem...

When I receive my new set I hope it will work, and I will try and fix the old one, he told me nothing about returning the pedalbase......... can I keep it as backup??.. hehehe

I'll keep you guys posted.....

pkeijzer72

Hi,

There are two relevant Threads in the Gran Turismo Racing Point Forum

One for the Driving Force Pro Pedals with Metall-Potentiometer ( The new revised Pedal-Version )
http://www.granturismo.de/forums/showthread.php?t=8826

One for the first Driving Force Pro Pedals with Plastic-Potentiometer ( The older Pedal-Version )
http://www.granturismo.de/forums/showthread.php?t=8683

Sorry, my englisch is inadequate to translate it in correct english :indiff:

By the way,
The Photos can see only by registered Members !

Laters
Werner

Sloth.7SL
How would you describe the clicking sound?

Is it like a creaking noise that is emitted when you slowly release the brake pedal?

I 'adjusted' the spring rate of the black spring and used the silver brake pedal spring to replace the one that broke in my gas pedal. Now I have this annoying clicking/creaking sound that eminates from roughly the same area when slowly releasing the brake.

It's quite annoying, and I tried putting a bit of foam in that slot (more like wrapping the end of the spring in foam and taping it) but it doesn't seem to be doing anything.

Maybe elaborate on this a bit?

I'll keep everyone updated on this..

Hey, sorry about the late reply, been busy :).

My clicking noise could be heard around 20% braking. It was the sound of the spring hitting the plastic..it was only one click, but since I left foot brake all the time, all i'd hear was "click click click click"

As for your problem, I think it could be that there's only one spring supporting the brake pedal, and that's stressing it out, which creates the noise. If you could add some support to the other side of the pedal, it *should* disappear. If it gets super annoying, you could always put the spring back to the other pedal, and add some sort of foam support to the gas pedal, but you might need a bunch to keep it popping up.

I'll think about this a bit more, and get back to you :)

PS I'm on my second DFP. Logitech sent me a new one but the same damned problem started within a week.

It almost wrecked me out of an online 12 hour enduro in Redline GTP. My teammates would have been pissed. :(

I am going to try the fix above, and if that fails, I am going to adapt my old CH Products pedals to the DB9 connector on the DFP. Too poor for ECCI or Frex.

Holy crap, that is funny, I didn't even see that Werner himself had been here and posted the same link to Racing Point!
Thanks Werner!

Hi all... for those in Australia, here's a curious thing:

I bought my first PS2 about a month ago - solely because of GT4. I got it from EB, with the bundled Logitech Driving Force Pro wheel.

After about a week hours of play, I started to get the Logitech problems everyone's seen - the brakes at times not working at all, then coming on full bore by themselves at times - accelerator & brakes flickering, etc.

I phoned EB, and found that they had a spare in store. Took the wheel back, but the salesperson (possibly different from the one I phoned) tried to say that they didn't have any to replace. He also said that Logitech had told EB that it wasn't a problem with the pedals - the thing just needed calibrating again. Luckily I'd tried all those options - rebooting, etc. I insisted that they had a spare, and that I wanted a replacement. I got one.

Things worked fine for a day, then the PS2 itself died. Weird graphics flickering. EB replaced it no problems.

Then another day or so passed, and the new wheel / pedals failed again. Same problems.

At that point I Googled the problem, and found this thread and others.

I phoned Logitech Australia. They told me that they wanted nothing to do with it - Logitech Australia didn't import these wheels - Sony did! They gave me Sony's number.

I phoned Sony. They'd never heard of the problem before!!! I told them to look at this thread (they didn't). They said that it may be a PS2 problem. I explained that I'd had the same problem on 2 different PS2s (due to the first one dying on me). They then insisted that I take it down to EB and get them to replicate the problem.

This sucks! Logitech in Australia don't want to know about the problem any more. Sony alledge that they don't know about the problem. EB tells me that Logitech think it's a GT4 problem.

I think I'll try the sticky tape fix! If that doesn't work, EB are going to get sick of me, 'cause I'm going to keep returning it until I get one that works!

Me,i didnt actually even try to call to logitech (or whoever the importer is here in greece),i had the thing opened and tried to fix it,it worked just fine for 1-2 weeks,then yesterday it made some other malfunctions,so i opened it again,cleaned from the loads of dust that carries on the inside,let the cable even more loose,and close it all together.Lets see...

spotcom
Hi all... for those in Australia, here's a curious thing:

I bought my first PS2 about a month ago - solely because of GT4. I got it from EB, with the bundled Logitech Driving Force Pro wheel.

After about a week hours of play, I started to get the Logitech problems everyone's seen - the brakes at times not working at all, then coming on full bore by themselves at times - accelerator & brakes flickering, etc.

I phoned EB, and found that they had a spare in store. Took the wheel back, but the salesperson (possibly different from the one I phoned) tried to say that they didn't have any to replace. He also said that Logitech had told EB that it wasn't a problem with the pedals - the thing just needed calibrating again. Luckily I'd tried all those options - rebooting, etc. I insisted that they had a spare, and that I wanted a replacement. I got one.

Things worked fine for a day, then the PS2 itself died. Weird graphics flickering. EB replaced it no problems.

Then another day or so passed, and the new wheel / pedals failed again. Same problems.

At that point I Googled the problem, and found this thread and others.

I phoned Logitech Australia. They told me that they wanted nothing to do with it - Logitech Australia didn't import these wheels - Sony did! They gave me Sony's number.

I phoned Sony. They'd never heard of the problem before!!! I told them to look at this thread (they didn't). They said that it may be a PS2 problem. I explained that I'd had the same problem on 2 different PS2s (due to the first one dying on me). They then insisted that I take it down to EB and get them to replicate the problem.

This sucks! Logitech in Australia don't want to know about the problem any more. Sony alledge that they don't know about the problem. EB tells me that Logitech think it's a GT4 problem.

I think I'll try the sticky tape fix! If that doesn't work, EB are going to get sick of me, 'cause I'm going to keep returning it until I get one that works!

Hi spotcom, I'm glad to finally hear something about the current situation of the wheel being sold in Australia. I'm also trying to find a place to buy a working version of the Driving Force Pro in Australia (Adelaide), but with no success. Here's my story:

A few weeks ago I bought the regular Driving Force + GT4 pack from EB for $179. The wheel worked without problems, but the dead centre position was slightly off and couldnt be calibrated to correct it. Then during the first week of play the game froze twice, but I thought nothing of it. Then it started freezing again and again, until it was about 8 freezes in 1 week and I had to return the whole lot.

So I go to take it back to EB and decide that I want to upgrade to the Pro wheel, but EB told me of the problem with the pedals, and that they had lots of returns for the same reason and therefore would no longer be selling the wheel.

So I sent an email to Logitech international (although I think it was the US office) and asked them about whether they would be fixing the problem and shipping more units to Australia, but no reply. They did reply within 24 hours to all my previous emails regarding the Driving Force, so something tells me they either can't answer about the DFP problem , or want nothing to do with it.

Now all I would like to do is get a DFP wheel with GT4, and I'm willing to pay even the full retail for it ($299). But I want a brand new unopened wheel and I wan't non-defective pedals! For $300 that's not a big ask.

If anyone has any info about fixed units being shipped, please tell us.

Thanks

Werner Winkels
Hello ...

There are two different DFP Pelal Versions in circulation !

The new one with gold metall-housing Potentiometer.
There are probably the 6 Potentiometer connectors waggly

And the older Version with blue plastic-housing Potentiometer.
There is probably a problem with the Potentiometer mount

By the way,
That's maybe interesting too :
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44143&highlight=werner

Laters
Werner :)

Werner, is there any way to check the pedals without opening them up? I want to inspect the pedals in the shop before I buy one and be able to tell if they are new fixed ones. Are there any other distinguishable characteristics of the pedals on the outside? Or even a date, barcode or serial number on the box that could describe if it's a newer one?

Also, a general question about the DFP - how accurate is the dead-centre position?

Thanks

Oh, I rang EB again today and the guy I spoke with knew nothing of the pedal problem. Also, he said they have been trying to order more units for a couple of weeks but Logitech is completely out of stock.

Maybe this is a sign that Logitech are not shipping any more faulty units and are waiting for fixed ones to start selling them again?

***bump***

Sorry if that was annoying, but this is a really serious problem that still isnt fixed yet.

And since I refuse to play the game without the DFP this is a very disappointing situation indeed :grumpy:

Ikari_San
Werner,

Also, a general question about the DFP - how accurate is the dead-centre position?

Thanks

Hi,

I hope to understand Your question right !?

without engagement
You can to adjust the Center-Position only inside the Wheel
By turning the steel plate ( Z2 )

In Central Position , the steel plate must to stand below the Sensor
On the component ( Z1 ) is mount the Sensor

The Picture with original text You can find on my Page :
http://www.beepworld.de/members15/gran-turismo-3_maniac/das_jom_wheel.htm

dfp_center-controll.jpg

I'm another Aussie with pedal problems. The first set started playing up the day I got them, so I tracked down a replacement from EB. The second set has lasted a fair bit longer, but now I struggle to finish a lap without the pedals going nuts.

Last time I talked to EB, they said Logitech told them the problem was a calibration issue (as someone said above). Both of us know this is bull**** though, so she said if I have anymore problems I can just do another swap.

I'm gonna hit them up tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Edit - and if they try to screw me over, the ACCC will be getting a phone call 👍

Hi! I had some problems with my pedals. Throttle disappeared completely quite often and some times it went nuts and was 100% on even if I didn't touch the pedal. Well I opened up the thing and checked the pots and the connections. The wire connectors were all really loose. So I just disconnected wires from pots and squeezed the connectors with pliers. Now the connectors sit tight in the pots and all the problems with the throttle disappeared. Afterwards came problem with the break pedal. It didn't return to the up-position so there was always a little bit of red visible in the brake indicator. I opened up the thing again and adjusted the springs so they are strong enough to push the pedal to it's up-position. It is also important to put the thing back together very precisely so that the springs sit in their right positions.

After these adjustments I've done something like 5000km's without one single problem. 👍

BaRRa
Last time I talked to EB, they said Logitech told them the problem was a calibration issue (as someone said above). Both of us know this is bull**** though, so she said if I have anymore problems I can just do another swap.

I'm gonna hit them up tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Edit - and if they try to screw me over, the ACCC will be getting a phone call 👍

Hi,

I noticed the DFP electronic ( or the GT4 calibration-device for the DFP Wheel ) is verry sensitive :indiff:

Sample:
The verry precise Momo Force Pedal-Unit work absulut errorfree with the Momo Force Wheel and GT3
But connectet with the Driving Force Pro, a minimal freedom of movement in the Potentiometer mount, to effect the same Problems than the original DFP-Pedal :indiff:

I think, the DFP electronic or the GT4 Game have no Room for a normal fabrication tolerance

Eventuality there is a way to use the DFP Pedal-Unit via a simple Gameport adapter .

Maybe this can be less expensive for Logitech than changing always the complete Driving Force Pro Wheel

:)

hitman146
is there any good reasons why to spend 125 euros on a weel with pedals than using the ds2

I made myself the same question 2 weeks ago :dopey: :dopey:
Now I'm totaly satisfied with the wheel, it's a huge diference. Since GT1 I've always used the normal controller ...
It could be a bit difficult at the beginning but that's the basic issue when you're not used to a new product :)

wow, im glad i found this thread, i thought i was the only one with the crazy brake problem, i thought it was caused because maybe the breaks are really weak and i slam on them too hard (even though i am always extra careful that i dont). I teseted the pedals on gt3 and other games and have noticed that they are EXTREMELY sensitive for GT4 only, on other games, the amount you need to press just to make the brakes come on is far more. Therefore with gt4 if the brakes are slightly down it will cause a problem, luckily i found it easy.. i rang logitech UK and they are sending me new pedals, they said i can keep the old ones 👍 so now i can do the "operation" on them so i'll have 2 working pedals :sly:

This may not be 100% ethical, but the way Logitech treated me made me think they deserved it.

I had pedal problems. Logitech wouldn't help. I bought ANOTHER DFP at a local store with 100% return policy. I swapped pedals. I returned broken unit to local store and told them it was defective. They took it back and tossed it in their return to mfg pile.

Problem solved. Logitech pays for the problem they caused.

Back