Famine's Endurance Companion

• Thread starter Famine
  • 159 comments
Famine
Just a brief update - I've just finished the Nurburgring 24hr and finally shut down the PS2. It's been on for 153 hours straight...

I'll add to the write-up, and my sig, tomorrow. Now I need bed...
O.K. Famine. It's been 3 days since your last Nurb update. With a quick post yesterday to someone's post. Give us the conclusion man. What's next?

Edit:
Awesome man. What a blowout!

Great Work Famine...

I had to B-spec the Nur 24 as the missus wouldn't let me leave the PS2 on for a week (or more!)

I reckon you need to Stick all your write-ups in the first post though...

C.

Yeah, usually putting all your races on the first post, would have a better chance of them getting read. Then again, Famine knows what Famine is doing ;)

When I get a minute I'll rearrange the thread so that the opponents and their likely finish times are in the first post and the more detailed write-ups are dotted about. The write-ups are just a bonus for anyone who fancies reading my exploits. The primary purpose of the thread is an Endurance Companion, so that people can scan the likely performance of their opponents and pick/tune their own car accordingly.

Famine
When I get a minute I'll rearrange the thread so that the opponents and their likely finish times are in the first post and the more detailed write-ups are dotted about. The write-ups are just a bonus for anyone who fancies reading my exploits. The primary purpose of the thread is an Endurance Companion, so that people can scan the likely performance of their opponents and pick/tune their own car accordingly.

That's cool with me...

Perhaps link the write ups to each race though... that way when this thread gets huge (Like it will do) then it'll be easy to navigate around.

Lots of respect for Famine... wish I could A-spec all the races... but not enough time for me.

C.

Yes - the thought occurred to link each race title to its post in the thread.

Well done that man! - thats Sheffield Steel for you

Famine - are you by any chance a jobless hermit? - i think the wife would divorce me if i spent that much time on GT4.

I just finished the Grand Valley 300KM...and here are the details

I did the race in a Mitsubishi FTO Super Touring Car '97 worth 96 A-Spec Points

The final standings:

Mitsubishi FTO Super Touring Car '97 1:56'45.672
Nissan MOTUL PITWORK Z(JGTC) '04 1:56'59.967
Opel Astra Touring Car '00 +2 laps
Nissan PENNZOIL ZEXEL GT-R (JGTC) '01 +2 laps
Toyota au CERUMO Supra (JGTC) '01 +2 laps
Opel Calibra Touring Car '01 +4 laps

I won by a whooping 14.3 seconds! It was a hard fought battle requiring pretty good concentration throughout.

The Nissan MOTUL PITWORK was the only car that challenged the entire race. The Nissan pit every 15 laps making only 3 pit stops. I pit every 12 pit stops taking 4 stops.

And for my efforts?

$400,000 and a shiny Auto Union V16 Type C Streamline '37

Blake
Was the FTO stock?

Sounds like a good combo to use.

Blake

Straight outta the showroom...Can't remember where I won it, but I didn't touch it until I decided to put it into this race...

It was a blast to drive, and made for a very good race.

I'd love to give one of the 24 hour races a try. However, my son has a habit of accidentally turning the PS2 on. Meaning he could very easily turn it OFF.

I'm not even gonna try...

Know this is totally off-topic, but..... since Famine is an Owls fan.....
Congratulations to Sheffield Wednesday getting into the Championship for next year! I can only assume Famine has been glued to the game and not another enduro today!

mymkovski
I just finished the Grand Valley 300KM...and here are the details

I did the race in a Mitsubishi FTO Super Touring Car '97 worth 96 A-Spec Points

The final standings:

Mitsubishi FTO Super Touring Car '97 1:56'45.672
Nissan MOTUL PITWORK Z(JGTC) '04 1:56'59.967
Opel Astra Touring Car '00 +2 laps
Nissan PENNZOIL ZEXEL GT-R (JGTC) '01 +2 laps
Toyota au CERUMO Supra (JGTC) '01 +2 laps
Opel Calibra Touring Car '01 +4 laps

I won by a whooping 14.3 seconds! It was a hard fought battle requiring pretty good concentration throughout.

The Nissan MOTUL PITWORK was the only car that challenged the entire race. The Nissan pit every 15 laps making only 3 pit stops. I pit every 12 pit stops taking 4 stops.

And for my efforts?

$400,000 and a shiny Auto Union V16 Type C Streamline '37

I used the S2000LM. NA stage2 and RSH tires. I forget exactly how many a-spec points but it was around 184. Fun and challenging throughout.

Also try the suzuki GSX/R4 with stage 3 weight reduction and SS tires on the Laguna race. 200 a spec points with the Saleen S7 in the field. Another close race throughout.

No more news Famine? Surely you can't still be celebrating the Owls triumph?

Myself I'm very disappointed, it looks as though after seemingly pulling off the greatest escape ever, the Nationwide Conference will get what they've wanted since the beginning of the season, Northwich Victoria relegated. :(
They tried to make it happen by docking 10 points. 👎
We fought back and finished outside the bottom 3. 👍
Then they threatened us with relegation 'cos the new ground wasn't finished, but we got that done by the 31st May deadline. :sly:
Now they've gone back to something even more obscure.... bast&rds! :mad:
The Vics deserve to stay up! :grumpy:

I've just hit 20% complete with a nice little 200 A-spec point race. :embarrassed:
5% more & I'm starting my own endurance companion! :mischievous:

*Edit*
:( :( :( :(
We're relegated. Bugger.
24.2% complete now, enduros here I come, very very soon!

01/07/05

El Capitan 200

Player car: Opera Performance S2000 '04, 270hp. Using S2 (Sports Medium) tyres I pitted once every 16.5 laps (16, 33, 50) using roughly 28 fuel units per stint.

Opponents:
AI 1: Lotus Motorsport Elise - Pitted at the end of every 11th lap. Finished 2 laps behind.
AI 2: Shelby Series 1 - Pitted at the end of every 14th lap. Finished 3 laps behind.
AI 3: TVR Cerbera Speed Six - Pitted at the end of every 11th lap. Finished 4 laps behind.
AI 4: TVR T350 - Pitted at the end of every 12th lap. Finished 4 laps behind
AI 5: Mercedes SL65 AMG - Pitted at the end of every 11th lap. Finished 5 laps behind.

My final finish time was 2hr 05'52.840. Fastest lap was 1'50.377. I was awarded 200 A-Spec points.

The lights went out and... I was left standing. Everything went past (well, I started in 6th, so it just went further away really). However, someone forgot to pack cornering with the AI cars and so I was up and past the Elise just after T1. From there on in it was relatively plain-sailing.

To get the two 17 lap stints I had to coddle the tyres a little bit, but it worked just fine. The car was a little skittish on every 16th and 17th lap, but only because it was so damn easy to drive (all aids off) the rest of the time... 200 points for an easy 2 lap win. Nice. I'll be taking this car to pretty much the same field in New York...

Smallhorses
No more news Famine? Surely you can't still be celebrating the Owls triumph?

Myself I'm very disappointed, it looks as though after seemingly pulling off the greatest escape ever, the Nationwide Conference will get what they've wanted since the beginning of the season, Northwich Victoria relegated. :(
They tried to make it happen by docking 10 points. 👎
We fought back and finished outside the bottom 3. 👍
Then they threatened us with relegation 'cos the new ground wasn't finished, but we got that done by the 31st May deadline. :sly:
Now they've gone back to something even more obscure.... bast&rds! :mad:
The Vics deserve to stay up! :grumpy:

I've just hit 20% complete with a nice little 200 A-spec point race. :embarrassed:
5% more & I'm starting my own endurance companion! :mischievous:

*Edit*
:( :( :( :(
We're relegated. Bugger.
24.2% complete now, enduros here I come, very very soon!

dude whereabouts in northwich are ya? i heard about the whole vics thing *cough*northwichpost*cough* and it is bullplop

and famine, very very nice writeups 👍

chinko
dude whereabouts in northwich are ya? i heard about the whole vics thing *cough*northwichpost*cough* and it is bullplop

and famine, very very nice writeups 👍

@ chinko I grew up in Cuddington, but I live just outside San Francisco in California now.
Are you a Vics fan? I go & watch them whenever I'm back over that way.

Thanks for the update Famine! Its been a while! 200pts could have been bigger though!!! I have the El Capitan listed in my thread as a 200pt race too, its an excellent race.

04/07/05

New York 200

Player car: Opera Performance S2000 '04, 270hp. Using S2 (Sports Medium) tyres I pitted once every 19 laps (19, 38, 57) using exactly 30 fuel units per stint - freaky!

Opponents:
AI 1: TVR Cerbera Speed Six - Pitted at the end of every 18th lap. Finished 1 lap and change behind.
AI 2: TVR T350 - Pitted at the end of every 18th lap. Finished 3 laps behind
AI 3: Mercedes SL65 AMG - Pitted at the end of every 17th lap. Finished 3 laps behind.
AI 4: Lotus Motorsport Elise - Pitted at the end of every 23rd lap. Finished 3 laps behind.
AI 5: Aston martin V8 Vantage - Pitted at the end of every 16th lap. Finished 4 laps behind.

My final finish time was 2hr 17'15.151. Fastest lap was 1'44.840. I was awarded 200 A-Spec points.

Pretty much the same deal as El Capitan. The lights went out and... I was left standing. Every last sector I was level with the lead TVR Cerbera, every first sector I was losing between 1.5 and 3 seconds - everything else was made up in the right-angles. Every lap he'd mash the top of the corner after T1 - and I mean EVERY lap. The Aston, SL65 and T350 weren't any better - the Elise managed to hit the inside of the corner instead.

I didn't pass a car until the complex right-angled section - then I passed three. I was behind the SL65 and Cerbera until the same point next lap. I just watched them pull away on the straights like I didn't exist. I pulled out to 8s ahead by lap 5, then watched my lead stay static until I learned how to push some of the corners. From then on I was pulling a second a lap - at most - from the Cerbera.

Still, the Opera S2000 handles brilliantly. I pitted every 19th just as the front right was going off meaning I had quick pit-in laps and wrenched nearly 15s from the TVR on my first stop.

The race was tough work and the Cerbera was never really all that far away - 2'00 in a 76 lap race is nothing if you bin it - but the Opera S2000 drives like a dream and, really, the 200 points were easy as pie...

Nice work Famine:tup:

In your first post Famine you said you were doing the endurances races as they appear in the Endurance hall what happened to that?

Ah, you misunderstood. I will post them in the order they appear in Endurance Hall AS I do them - not I will do them in that order then post them.

I could have chosen New York first. The next one I did would have to go above it in my post, to maintain the order they appear in the Hall.

Famine
This is the killer...

Nur24

Player car: Alfa Romeo 155 V6 Ti '93 (25 points)
AI 1: BMW M3 GTR Race Car - Pits at the end of every 5th lap
AI 2: Opel Calibra Touring Car - Pits at the end of every 5th lap
AI 3: Mercedes 190E Touring Car - Pits at the end of every 6th lap
AI 4: Razo Silvia - Pits at the end of every 6th lap
AI 5: Spoon S2000 Race Car - Pits at the end of every 8th lap

I started off on R1/R1 tyres, but it became apparent that the rears weren't wearing as fast, so switched to R1/R2 at my first stop.

Famine, that is freaky! I am currently using the very same Alfa Romeo 155. Furthermore, I had the exact same AI field! Maybe it doesn't change much at this race?

I am trying to do it with as much B-spec as possible because I can't face doing 24 hours all myself. Plus there is the 3x speed thing. I started at 8am, and left my B-spec driver to toil for the first 8 hours. I come back, he is 2 minutes behind the BMW, but miles ahead of everyone else. I did a 6 hour stint and when I finished I was about 1 and half laps ahead of the field. Could have been 2 laps, but I had some spins, and lost about 3 minutes due to various missings of the pits (let's just say, in a real race I would have been disqualified because of all my driving backwards round the track).

I pit every 3 laps using super hards front and rear. You get a lot of understeer on the 3rd lap, but to be honest some understeer is healthy at this track, with all those bumps and high speed corners. Average normal lap is about 7 minutes. Fastest lap so far is 6:54.177. I say 'so far', I don't intend to drive again until it is over.

16 hours gone and my B-spec driver is looking solid, he still leads by a lap, though he is gradually being caught by the BMW.

Mulsanne
As a fellow "endurance nut," I applaud your efforts. I've held off racing a few endurance events because I haven't found the right car that will give me enough of a challenge. All the endurance races I've done so far have been walkovers.

Without trying to sound like a broken record, it's great to read a write-up from someone who's not using a Formula One car or the Minolta Toyota to win an endurance race. It can be done, people.

I look forward to reading more of your race reports. Keep up the great work.

Damn, lol... I'm a bit late on this one, but!!! I have a really really REALLY tight race for ALL OF YOU!!!

Take the R.E. Amemiya RX-7 (Aspara Drink JGTC) ('04) to the Suzuka 1000km race and see what happens... I did this recently (power failed so I didn't get to finish) but I can tell you that on lap 79 I was only 18s in front of the Motul Pitworks 350Z...

Seriously, If you want a competitive enduro... go with this!!! Oh, and no upgrade to the R.E. Amemiya RX-7 (Aspara Drink JGTC) ('04)....

OK, Back on topic now.. hehe...

Nice writeups Famine.. Cool the way you're A Speccing all of them.

Latest Posts

Back