Famine's Endurance Companion

• Thread starter Famine
  • 159 comments
Hey Famine,
I'm trying to compile a list of all the pit strategies of all the AI cars in all the enduros. Can you remember which Pescarolo C60 you were up against in Sarthe I 24hr? The Courage Peugeot or the Playstation Judd?

As a fellow endurance racing enthusiast, I really enjoy reading your race reports. Quality stuff. 👍 👍

Just out of curiosity, how do you approach recording the details of your race? Do you pause the race and write them down, or do you remember the details and record them after you finish your stint?

Didn't you know? Famine is an octopus!
He uses 2 tentacles for the pedals, 2 for the wheel, 2 to take notes while he's driving and has 2 spare to hold a beer and a cigarette!

And they said these Vicodin pills I'm taking for a back injury might cause hallucinations!!! I've not seen any evidence yet!!!! :P

Mulsanne
As a fellow endurance racing enthusiast, I really enjoy reading your race reports. Quality stuff. 👍 👍

Just out of curiosity, how do you approach recording the details of your race? Do you pause the race and write them down, or do you remember the details and record them after you finish your stint?

I remember and record after each stint.

Hell, with 5 AI cars dotted around La Sarthe, it's not exactly a feat of memory... :D

Couldn't agree more!
It's as though PD interpreted AI not to mean Artificial Intelligence, but to be Actively Impassable!

one of the best quotes i've seen yet.

And they said these Vicodin pills I'm taking for a back injury might cause hallucinations!!! I've not seen any evidence yet!!!!

can i have some please?

Famine
I remember and record after each stint.

Hell, with 5 AI cars dotted around La Sarthe, it's not exactly a feat of memory... :D

Thanks. 👍 Smallhorses, :lol:

Just thinking, since it's Le Sarthe II you're doing, you could jot down the details while on the Hunaudieres. What was it Mike Hailwood (or Brian Redman, I can't remember) said: "On the Mulsanne straight, you have enough time to check the gauges, pick your nose and wave to your mates at the cafe." (Or something like that.) :)

Hopefully, the next GT will have a few more than 5 AI cars, so if we're lucky, we won't be able to rely on memory.

EDIT: A question that I thought you endurance experts could answer. I bought a BMW V12 LMR that I planned to run the Le Sarthe I race with. I've never gotten around to doing that race, but I've used it in other races and now have over 2,000 miles on it. Even with a chassis refresh before the race, would it wear out faster than a new car? Or should I spring for a new LMP before beginning the Vingt-Quatre Heures?

I was afraid of that. Not looking forward to spending another $4.5 million. I lost count of the number of times I had to do the DTM series just to buy the first LMP.

eh, you could do it, but it would be harder to controll with so many miles on it at such high speeds. it is a nice car though. i wish it didnt cost so much i'd own one.

Famine's had his PS2 paused on the Mulsanne for the last fortnight . . . that or you don't like complete postings or
tumbleweed.gif

I suggest you look at the post again. Every time I do a little more I update that post - AND my signature.

Currently at 18 hours in.

So , either you have some crazy linux hack to lift & store data of a running sequence or you've paused the game and set up guarddog patrols from stray nephews & oth random acts of unpausement .

I have one other person in my house. She is banned from going within 9 feet in any direction of the PS2 when it is on.

I'm due to finish this race tonight. The PS2 will have been on for a solid 444 hours when I cross the line. Better still, it's my new slimline PSTwo. Overheating issues my arse.

Famine
I have one other person in my house. She is banned from going within 9 feet in any direction of the PS2 when it is on.
Does she have to duck when she's in the hall?

That's the Spirit ! One should always have a Shrine or Gohonzen to the primal Deity . In a way it is a necessity w/these 24hr races to have some sort of pit save . There are a few occasions i've regretted the ok at pitting the instant it's initiated.

Mulsanne
EDIT: A question that I thought you endurance experts could answer. I bought a BMW V12 LMR that I planned to run the Le Sarthe I race with. I've never gotten around to doing that race, but I've used it in other races and now have over 2,000 miles on it. Even with a chassis refresh before the race, would it wear out faster than a new car? Or should I spring for a new LMP before beginning the Vingt-Quatre Heures?
I used my Toyota Minolta for the 24hrs of Nurburgring, and the car had over 6000 miles on the clock, with no refresh. I was fine, you should be too. After that, i sold it. It was losing its value too fast.

Raghavan
I used my Toyota Minolta for the 24hrs of Nurburgring, and the car had over 6000 miles on the clock, with no refresh. I was fine, you should be too. After that, i sold it. It was losing its value too fast.

There's an enormous difference between driving 24 hours in A-spec in a car that's all bent out of shape and letting your B-spec driver do all the suffering!

I've done both Sarthe 24hr races, all A-spec, and I can tell you, that for some vehicles the chassis wear is a lot more noticable than for others. My R89C for example was a hair-raising beast after about 16hrs of Sarthe 1, on the other hand, the Audi R8 was a pleasure to drive for 24hrs regardless of chassis wear.
Both of these cars reside proudly in my garage with around 3500 miles on each, and there's no way I'd sell either of them!

Judging from the fact that you used an XJR-9 for El Capitan, and a 88C-V for 24 Nurb' I'm hazarding a guess that you're not the world's best A-spec driver, and B-specced both of these races with an enormous overkill factor to guarantee the prizemoney and prizecar for winning.

Raghavan
BTW, you did the EC200 faster than i did in my XJR-9.

Keep practicing in A-spec mode, and you'll learn to avoid overkill races, and hugely overpowered cars, and begin to enjoy "racing" as it was meant to be in GT4.

Great stuff Famine, I really enjoy reading your write ups.

I did the La Sarthe I all a-spec in the CLK-GTR (stock), a few months back, the thing isn't the most pleasant car to drive after about 12 hours. It took me 10 days to complete that race.

I did find out that the right turn after the straight (sorry, don't know the names of the curves) is better to take if you go through the cones on the left and take that path, i think you get a better exit speed onto the next staight.

Anyways, keep up the good work, looking forward to reading the conclusion of you race. Hang in there.

Smallhorses, how many miles did you have on the R89C and the R8 before you did the Vingt-Quatre Heures?

Famine, how hard are you running? You haven't spun once in 22 hours, even with the chassis' handling getting worse, so I'm just wondering if you're going 10/10ths or slacking the pace a little.

Mulsanne
Smallhorses, how many miles did you have on the R89C and the R8 before you did the Vingt-Quatre Heures?

No miles on either. They're both Prizecars. You'll find my results for Sarthe 1 and 2 in here

Chassis wear was noticable in the R89C, especially in the run from the Mulsanne Hairpin to Indianapolis.
The R8 was remarkably well behaved despite reports that it'd get really bad. As long as you keep a fair grip on the wheel and pay attention, it was no bother.

Thanks. 👍

My BMW already has over 2000 miles on it, and will add quite a few more in the ESES series, so it looks like I'll have to buy a new LMP before attempting the Le Sarthe I race.

Mulsanne
Famine, how hard are you running? You haven't spun once in 22 hours, even with the chassis' handling getting worse, so I'm just wondering if you're going 10/10ths or slacking the pace a little.

I have spun - mainly at the first Porsche Curve and Indianapolis. I've been punted off a few times by lapped cars too. I just haven't really mentioned them.

The chassis has been going off, but not really by very much. It got as bad as it was going to get during hour 13 and hasn't really been worse since. You're correct that I'm not running full tilt, not least because it preserves the rear tyres for my 8 lap stints, but I'm going quick enough. 3'12 laps are normal, with a little variance either side.

So you are human after all... :) I thought "This guy is either really good or not human" when reading your race reports, since they carry no mention of spins or accidents.

Best of luck to you in the remaining hours. 👍

Smallhorses
There's an enormous difference between driving 24 hours in A-spec in a car that's all bent out of shape and letting your B-spec driver do all the suffering!

I've done both Sarthe 24hr races, all A-spec, and I can tell you, that for some vehicles the chassis wear is a lot more noticable than for others. My R89C for example was a hair-raising beast after about 16hrs of Sarthe 1, on the other hand, the Audi R8 was a pleasure to drive for 24hrs regardless of chassis wear.
Both of these cars reside proudly in my garage with around 3500 miles on each, and there's no way I'd sell either of them!

Judging from the fact that you used an XJR-9 for El Capitan, and a 88C-V for 24 Nurb' I'm hazarding a guess that you're not the world's best A-spec driver, and B-specced both of these races with an enormous overkill factor to guarantee the prizemoney and prizecar for winning.

Keep practicing in A-spec mode, and you'll learn to avoid overkill races, and hugely overpowered cars, and begin to enjoy "racing" as it was meant to be in GT4.
Actually, I B-spec'd it once with the Minolta, and then I A-spec'd it on the Nurb again with over 6k on the clock.
And i've decided that if/when i complete GT4, i'll start over, and do it the REAL way. 200 pt races and such. I'll get my DFP by then, so i can start upping the pace.

Well... I finished the race, but only forgot to save before I turned the machine off... :(

Only kidding... :D

Back