DSJ: Vol 3 - '04 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII MR GSR

Yeah i never doubted that, and I don't countersteer much at all when I try to drift awd... but turning aids on seems like "easy mode" if you know what I'm saying.

Anyway, I want to tune this car without driving aids personally. What you do is up to you ;)

Ske
Yeah i never doubted that, and I don't countersteer much at all when I try to drift awd... but turning aids on seems like "easy mode" if you know what I'm saying.

Anyway, I want to tune this car without driving aids personally. What you do is up to you ;)

Understood ;)

For those of you who are clueless on what the hell we are talking about...

evo 8 demo clip

Oh man, I figured it out.

First I just put on one thing, and then I built the power up a little.

The Original Turbo is too much.

Racing Chip
Semi-Racing Exhaust
Racing Intercooler

(should be about 393 Hp)

Triple Plate Clutch
Racing Flywheel
Carbon Driveshaft
AYC

Yeah, thats right, the AYC.

Now, this is the extreme bit, put the AYC all the way up to 130.

N1 tires, aids off.

Now, when you start drifting, do like FI said and get high angle, but instead of countersteering, or relying on the throttle to hold it, steer INTO the turn.

Just rely on the physics defying insanity that is the Evo to get you through it, and make sure you pick a good line while you have high speed.

Countersteering straightens you out, neutral makes you go sideways, steering into the turn produces lurid 4 wheel drifts.

Awesome...I like an Evo now.

Call me: The Drift Pimp.

Onikaze
Oh man, I figured it out.

First I just put on one thing, and then I built the power up a little.

The Original Turbo is too much.

Racing Chip
Semi-Racing Exhaust
Racing Intercooler

(should be about 393 Hp)

Triple Plate Clutch
Racing Flywheel
Carbon Driveshaft
AYC

Yeah, thats right, the AYC.

Now, this is the extreme bit, put the AYC all the way up to 130.

N1 tires, aids off.

Now, when you start drifting, do like FI said and get high angle, but instead of countersteering, or relying on the throttle to hold it, steer INTO the turn.

Just rely on the physics defying insanity that is the Evo to get you through it, and make sure you pick a good line while you have high speed.

Countersteering straightens you out, neutral makes you go sideways, steering into the turn produces lurid 4 wheel drifts.

Awesome...I like an Evo now.

Call me: The Drift Pimp.

You sound like a person who just figured out how to drift AWD.

All AWD cars are drifted that way...not just the evo.

I think that's the main problem in tuning the evo. It's not much the tuning but the style of drift you should take on to support your settings.

"call me a drift pimp?" hahaha nice one.

Demo Vid

Settings are tagged on at the end of the vid. No Aids, and no AYC anymore, just N2's on the front, N1's on the rear and some trick suspension and LSD mods. But I'll suggest that the AYC could be used in place of my LSD settings. A settings of 50-75 makes it quite easy to pitch into turns, but it fights more during mid drift than it does with the AYC removed.

I haven't watched anyone elses vids yet - but I'm happy with how I have my car set. Please forgive the couple wheel offs, wonky looking lines and so forth in the vid. I don't rank myself as a very good AWD drifter - I find it difficult picking an entry point with them.

btw, I've posted in slightly greater detail about the vid in My Vid Thread

WTH, how come you couldn't make it .wmv or something, I can't accept .avi...I thought my computer was 'effed up at first...

Hey, the only other AWD cars I've even bothered trying to drift were a 22b STi which I slid the VCD down to 10 on, and various Skylines, which do it wonderfully stock.

The 22b STi didn't like when you turned HARD into the drift, instead of countersteering, it liked a neutral wheel.

The Evo on the other hand thrives on it, and you end up with the weirdest mix of understeer and oversteer, but it stays controllable, and looks awesome.

I don't think it needs LSD mods, just a careful hand with the wheel, the AYC just makes it eager to oversteer on lift, to power over, inertial, and flick.

Hell, it makes it fun.

Doesn't need mixed tires either, or 500 Hp, give it a try, seriously.

Oh, the Drift Pimp came from the Fedora I wear, and the fact that it hit me as an extremely driftable car after the first thing I tried, I'll fiddle with the LSD, and it works well with lower AYC settings, it just does absurd things with the AYC all the way up.

2 hours 40 minutes! wow thats brutal

I'll see if I have enough room left to host it on my university webspace

Hey BL, is there any way you can get the vid to be .wmv or something, .AVI won't work for me :( And I really wanna see your vid.

i suspect it's b/c you don't have an xvid codec.

www.xvid.org

Just re-rendered with better sound, better filters, and a higher frame rate.
New Demo Video - right click save as

btw - figured out what was going on with my NIC. It did turn out to be software related. So I'm relieved.
So, now that I can use the internet in my own room again, I guess I'll go about posting my settings.
I'll only be a second....

Nice video dude. I'm trying your settings as I type...I downloaded DivX 6.0...It played the movie...I like how you got sideways in one drift...It was nasty :drool:

that's a great video BL. I was dissapointed when you didn't connect through turns 1 2 3 4 at apricot haha.

How you driving this thing? I saw the rear wheels lock up in apricot hill...are you using e-brake to initiate or just to correct the line?

'04 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII MR GSR

Parts to buy:
Racing Exhaust
Racing Brakes, Brake Controller
Port and Polish, Engine Balancing, Sports Racing Chip
Triple Plate Clutch, Racing Flywheel, Full Customize LSD, Carbon Driveshaft, Fully Customizeable Transmission
Stage 2 Turbine Kit, Racing Intercooler
Racing Suspension
N2 Tires Front, N1 Tires Rear
Stage 1, 2, & 3 Weight Reduction, Chassis Refresh, Increased Chassis Rigidity
Oil change and maybe some nice rims
~513HP

Settings:
Brake Controller
  • Front: 2
  • Rear: 9
Suspension:
  • Spring Rates: 7.5 kgf/mm | 5.3 kgf/mm
  • Ride Height: 108mm | 112mm
  • Shock Bound: 2 | 1
  • Shock Rebound: 4 | 1
  • Camber Angle: 1.2 | 0
  • Toe Angle: 0 | 0
  • Stabilizers: 1 | 1
Gear Ratios:
  • Tranny Trick Used
  • Final: 4.200
  • Auto: 1
Aids:
  • ASM Oversteer: 0
  • ASM Understeer: 0
  • TCS: 0
LSD:
  • Initial Torque: 12 | 10
  • Limited Slip Acceleration: 8 | 50
  • Limited Slip Deceleration: 10 | 25
VCD:
  • Front Wheel Distribution: 32
Weight Balance:
  • Ballast Weight: 0
  • Front/Rear Balance: 40

- - - - - - - - - -

Alternative to above LSD settings:

LSD:
  • Initial Torque: 12 | - -
  • Limited Slip Acceleration: 8 | - -
  • Limited Slip Deceleration: 10 | - -
AYC:
  • AYC Control: from about 50 to 80 depending on course

- - - - - - - - - -

It takes a bit of a feint to get the car going sideways. I don't know how these settings compare in terms of maximum angle to those that others have made but I find them quite comfortable (for an AWD that is).

With the alternative settings the car is quite easy to toss into a drift. No feint required, just some lift off. But I found it difficult to control during the drift. It would often fight to exit the drift with the AYC installed, and if you were not careful about how you used your countersteering and/or brakes the car would take off in an unexpected direction. ...so, some caution might be in order if you try them.

@FI:
ebrake just to correct the line - ya, i tugged it once going into the left before the chicane on AH, and numerous times to get around turn 7 at AH (you can't hear it b/c of the music).

Otherwise it just takes a feint to get it moving.

and ya...that link... I tried for about 30 mins to connect the first sector of AH. It's just not in the cards for me. I had a tough enough time just getting through turns 1 and 2 in an AWD - and it must be said that the angle I got was not great when I did get it.
The car will get from turn 2 to turn 3 without any trouble, but any replay I had where I did so also had a huge cloud of dust hanging in the air above turn 1. :sly:

edit:
that's another thing I should mention. If you try the alternative settings I posted with the AYC, the ebrake becomes totally useless. If you need to increase your rotation you have to lift off and turn in a little and then jam the gas again.
It's really weird feeling, many of the cars behaviours are unexpected (sometimes counter-intuitive) with the AYC on - for me anyhow.
The settings with no AYC, and all LSD are much better.

Boundary Layer
@FI:
ebrake just to correct the line - ya, i tugged it once going into the left before the chicane on AH, and numerous times to get around turn 7 at AH (you can't hear it b/c of the music).

Otherwise it just takes a feint to get it moving.

and ya...that link... I tried for about 30 mins to connect the first sector of AH. It's just not in the cards for me. I had a tough enough time just getting through turns 1 and 2 in an AWD - and it must be said that the angle I got was not great when I did get it.
The car will get from turn 2 to turn 3 without any trouble, but any replay I had where I did so also had a huge cloud of dust hanging in the air above turn 1. :sly:

understood. Give understeer a try. You won't really have to correct your line. ASM:U @ 2 with almost stock settings. n2 up front and n1 back.

the ASM just isn't cutting it for me.

Yes, the car holds its angle marginally better with the throttle down, but other parts of its behaviour just feel so weird. I'm not used to the way the revs don't drop while you turn in with the throttle off - it's like the car is on cruise control. I found that disruptive during my drifting because there are times when I want to be able to shed speed in this manner. And, with the settings I posted it's possible to generate a little slipping in the rear with lift off at low speeds (by that I mean <140km/h or so). ASMU totally removed that.

I'm sure I could adapt to it, but I don't feel the need when I'm perfectly happy with my settings without the ASM.

You find the cars nature odd with AYC on?

I guess it's just my style, but it fits me like a glove, I hated Evo's til I fiddled with the AYC, and I found putting it all the way up just made it drift absurdly well.

Absurd is definitely the term I would use.

I will mess with lower settings to see if it makes it more unpredictable, but it practically walks sideways until you run out of track with it up high.

well, with the way my settings are now, I find it really odd.

When I began playing with the car I did have the AYC equipped, and for some time I couldn't get it sideways without it. I think it was when I started playing with the suspension that I found the AYC to be more of a hinderance than anything helpful during the drift.

I can't deny that it does make initiating drift 100x easier.

Oh, I see, you have Suspension mods on.

I like drifting cars on the stock suspension whenever possible.

Gimme enough power to spin the tires under the cars load, and I'm generally good.

I'll see if I can find a setting with Suspension mods that feels as good to me.

Sad to say, but I think I'll give up this project.... I guess some things weren't meant to happen. I must have tried 30 different tuning concepts and it's still no good. It WILL drift, it's just not fun at all.

:irked:

heh, every time I sit down with that car, I seem to get angry..

Using a few ideas from your setup, I managed to make it behave OK on power, but it's still so #&)/&(# tight on lift... My last options are:

1) Use ballast in the rear
2) Stagger N3/N1
3) Discard it and get another car :P

Nice video btw, I can't do long drifts with the MR at all.

Ok there was no point for me to follow this, as I couldn't drift AWD. Now I got my subaru and got the very basics again. I'll use this thread to learn and buy this evo too.

I will eventually use this to drift the older Subaru Rally car, not the new one but the one that needs to be won. It looks so cool;) Gonna test now:D

Ske
heh, every time I sit down with that car, I seem to get angry..

Using a few ideas from your setup, I managed to make it behave OK on power, but it's still so #&)/&(# tight on lift... My last options are:

1) Use ballast in the rear
2) Stagger N3/N1
3) Discard it and get another car :P

Nice video btw, I can't do long drifts with the MR at all.

What's your current suspension and LSD setup?

As you could see in my settings, I had to go really soft in the suspension department to make the car step out. Doing so did not result in excessive body roll or a slow reacting car.
The LSD was by a lot of trial and error, but if you set everything in the front to 10 or so you can adjust the car behaviour with the rear settings only.

If the Suspension/LSD settings bother you, and you want it predictable, remove them and try the AYC out.

It works well with settings from 80 and up, I just like 130 because I've gotten used to the extreme "crabwalking" I guess is a good term, because it will tend to just run straight sideways off the track if you let it.

Turning in tighter pulls the nose around wonderfully for me, as long as I get good angle on entry, lifting does the same, but sheds speed for decreasing radius turns.

I find it really loves hairpins, but you can throw it into higher speed sweepers with incredible aplomb.

Got a nice lap of the Nurburgring drifted on my first try, even managed to do something I've been trying forever.

Drift the Karusell, start to finish.

I dont get this AWD in general, if I'm drifting non countersteer first without major angle increase, I want to exit the drift too obviously so I countersteer a bit and seomtimes it just exits (not very smooth but well....) and sometimes it actually increases it's angle!:irked:

Why is countersteering this unpredictable?! Just in general AWD drifting?

Countersteer while decelerating = oversteer
Countersteer while accelerating = understeer

...to generalize.. make sure you have weight transfered over the rear wheels when countersteering on mixed tires unless you want to increase your angle rapidly.

----------------------------------

Edit: Ok, so I didn't give up just yet.. did some more randomness and came up with this:

N2/N1 tires
Stage 2 turbo
Racing intercooler
Everything else
1.5 way LSD (!)
Racing suspension
-- Springs: 5.6/4.4
-- Ride: 108/124
-- Bound: 8/3
-- Rebound: 10/4
-- Camber: 2.3/0.5
-- Toe: 4/0 (!)
-- Stabilizers: 4/4
Brake controller
-- Balance: 3/14
Ballast
-- Weight: 22kg
-- Distribution: +50
VCD
-- Front: 25%

The important changes in this tune are toe (+4/0) and LSD (1.5way, not full custom). Both of these seemed to help quite a lot where other settings have failed to impress. The springs and stabilizers are at the default values, and the dampers are set up pretty roughly... Ballast helps kick the rear out on feint and forward weight transfer.

The new toe and LSD helped make the car hold angles better, and made it a lot easier to drive in general... Angle finetuning is also easier with throttle only. Whereas I couldn't even drift apricot 1+2 with my last tries, these changes alone made the car drift the double sweeper at midfield effortlessly.. It has a tendency to go very unstable in weird camber turns (such as the left-right before the hairpin at midfield), but all in all it's ok now. Not perfect, but ok.

Why Evo VIII? Why not VII? the previous versions are easier to drift, ESPECIALLY the Tommi Makinen Editions. I have settins of this car too but you'll probably not prefer them since im such a Drifting Noob. However, I WOULD like to know which lancers can be equipped with the Original Turbo (Stage 5), Because one of my TME lancers have it and the other has no option to do so.

Why Evo VIII? Why not VII? the previous versions are easier to drift

That is why.. The DSJ was trying to deal with cars that were hard to drift. There is no reason to dedicate a project to cars that anyone can tune ;)

Back