BESTuners Gallery | Updated October 28th, 2006 - DB9 by ChromeBallz

• Thread starter BESTuners
  • 585 comments
Thanks viperpilot. ekMatt9, yes, leave the Luxury car tuning to me. I bought the CLK 55, bought all the part, adjusted the setting without even driving the car first, and posted a 1'14.447 lap at Deep Forest. It did have some understeer which put me in the grass on the first lap thought. There's still some potential for a better handing car.

There is a reason the Jaguar S-Type is so 'ugly'. Its based on the look of the classic MkII that was the original gangsters car of the UK. The getaway car of choice for criminals long before any rally homologation specials were on sale or stolen to order. Im sure police pursuit drivers were issued with them too with it being one of the most powerful road weapons available in the '60s in a variety of straight six engines from 2.4ltr to 3.8ltr (there might even have been a 4.2, Im not sure although I remember seeing a program once where the top armed-robbery getaway driver of the time complained that although the largest was more powerful, its added weight affected cornering capabilities so he always prefered to steal the lighter model for jobs).

One of THE milestone cars in British motoring history IMHO that was revived by new owners, Ford with the intention of reaching the hearts of those forty-somethings who pushed one around the carpet as a five year old. :)

speedy_2
Thanks viperpilot. ekMatt9, yes, leave the Luxury car tuning to me. I bought the CLK 55, bought all the part, adjusted the setting without even driving the car first, and posted a 1'14.447 lap at Deep Forest. It did have some understeer which put me in the grass on the first lap thought. There's still some potential for a better handing car.
Dude, you people are slow! With my set-up, and with R4s, I got a 1'13.204. It handles well, too. :crazy:

EDIT: And that laptime was with my first lap. I could easily squeeze another .500 if I wanted to.

Dude, you people are slow! With my set-up, and with R4s, I got a 1'13.204. It handles well, too. :crazy:

EDIT: And that laptime was with my first lap. I could easily squeeze another .500 if I wanted to.

Yeah, but that's with R4's ekMatt9 tested with R3's. I also tried it with R3's. Not a bad car with those tires. I also tried the R4's....1'12.815 👍 An even better car now :) After a few laps. 1'11.660. There's a ton of potential in this car!!

banner7tz.jpg

Driver Scaff

Car Alpine A310 1600VE ‘73

Deep Forest Time 1’26.138

The Alpine A310 sits right in the middle of quite an illustrious family tree, as a direct successor to the truly beautiful (and successful) A110 and forerunner to the unsuccessful, but wonderful A610 (later GTA). So how does this little rear engined rear wheel drive car stack up?

Well this particular example has had a full set of suspension and serious drivetrain modifications, the set-up was carried out on S2 tyres, with the lap time and other figures obtained with medium racing tyres fitted.

Looks wise its an acquired taste, looking very much a ‘70s car, its simply not as pretty as the previous A110. Then again few cars are. However the A310 does have a character all of its own and its looks certainly do grow on you.

Additionally if the entire idea of putting the engine in totally the wrong place for a balanced car is one you find absurd, then quite simply this is not the car for you.

As a point of interest, it is rumoured that the car in the short film Rendezvous, is not actually a Ferrari, but an Alpine A310. The sound was then ‘added’ during editing. As the maker of the film has always refused to confirm the actual car or driver details, it still remains a subject of much discussion.

Scaff's 👍
As a starter car for anyone new to the world of rear engined rear wheel drive cars the A310 makes an excellent choice. Modified as we see here it displays all of the normal RR characteristics, but in a balanced and controllable manner.

Understeer, typically the bane of RR cars is well controlled as long as you adopt the characteristic RR slow in, fast out approach. When the understeer does set in, its well balanced and you get plenty of notice, this allows you to tuck the front in with a slight lift before the understeer develops to far.

As would be expected both power-on and lift-off oversteer are well developed in the A310, they are both readily and easily exploitable. The slight rear toe-in ensures that you can control both these characteristics, as it slightly delays the onset of the rules of physics. Bluntly put, given the fact that the very large rear overhang on the A310 is almost all engine; the back is going to step out. In my book, this can only be a good thing, as long as you are the one in control.

Its both easy to initiate and control a slide in the Alpine, even when fitted with the stickier racing tyres the back end can be coaxed out and held in a manner that makes you feel on top of the world. Fit sports or particularly normal tyres and the fun just keeps coming, it may not be the fastest way around a circuit, but it does raise a very big smile.

Scaff's 👎
I’ve really struggled for this one, as I’m finding it very difficult to dislike anything about this car. Once you get over the looks and realise that power is just not important for this car; it just starts to drag you in.

Stick any type of tyres on it, take it to a range of circuits and I had a blast on all of them, I just did not dislike a single thing about this car. I’m sure some of you may find areas of the car to criticise, but to be blunt, I won’t give a damn. I love this car.

Spec

202bhp@6,250rpm
173ft/lbs@5,300rpm
902kgs

0-30 – 2.18 secs
0-60 – 5.52 secs
1-100 – 12.78 secs
0-100-0 – 16.78 secs

1/4 Mile – 13.773 secs @ 103mph
Top Speed – 159.07mph

Modifications

Racing Exhaust
Racing Chip
NA Tune Stage 2
R3 Tyres for the lap, N2 and S2 tyres for fun (front & back)
Racing Brakes
Brake Balance Controller
Racing Suspension
Fully Customised Transmission
Triple Plate Clutch
Racing Flywheel
Fully Customised LSD
Weight Reduction Stage 1
Port Polish
Engine Balance
Oil Change

Settings
All are shown Front then Rear

Spring Rates = 7.0 / 5.5
Ride Height = 115 / 120
Damper
Bound = 2 / 3
Rebound = 4 / 5
Camber = 2.0 / 1.3
Toe = 0 / -1
Stabilisers = 3 / 2

LSD = 10/40/20

Brake Balance = 4 / 3

Gearbox = Auto 9 (adjust as required)

Awesome report Scaff, this is probably my favorite one from you. The third to last photo is wonderful, and the review is 3x as better. 👍 I haven't paid much attention to this car, but I think I'll have to whip it out. Heck, I might just try your settings. :)

Great report. :D

Awesome report Scaff, this is probably my favorite one from you. The third to last photo is wonderful, and the review is 3x as better. 👍 I haven't paid much attention to this car, but I think I'll have to whip it out. Heck, I might just try your settings. :)

Great report. :D

Thanks for the feedback Duck, glad you like the report and the shots.

The A310 is a great little car, if a bit strange looking, pick one up and let me know what you think.

Regards

Scaff

Great Report. I love the look of this car. I'm all for the different styles of the 70's and 80's that people usually find ugly. Great Report. Don't think I ever drifted in this car though. I might give it a try now. I love the Selective coloring you did in the banner and 6th Thumb. 👍

speedy_2
Great Report. I love the look of this car. I'm all for the different styles of the 70's and 80's that people usually find ugly. Great Report. Don't think I ever drifted in this car though. I might give it a try now. I love the Selective coloring you did in the banner and 6th Thumb. 👍

Thanks for that Speedy_2, glad I'm not the only one to like this cars looks (did take a while however).

Give it a go for drifting, easy to do and very fun.

The selective colouring is something I've been playing with in PS, I found a very easy way of getting the effect with minimal effort.

Regards

Scaff

BESTuners Nissan R390 GT1 Road Car '98 Report​

Driver: Duċk

Deep Forest Laptime: 1’03.874

NOTE: Review tested with S2s, laptime tested with R4s.

Exterior/History:
It’s blue. It rides low. It’s outrageously fast. It’s the (barely) street legal version of the popular Le Mans racecar. May I present to you, the Nissan R390 GT1 Road Car.

It looks really sweet. The whole body, from beginning to end, flows smoothly and with ease. The front has the look of a racecar, but with the elegance of a 400 year old painting. You can definitely tell that it was built for speed. The aerodynamics are pretty ingenious. The front is nearly sealed to the ground, making you wonder if you can put your own fist under it. It’s entirely sleek, and nothing gets in the way of airflow. The rear is slightly curved up for that extra bit of downforce, gluing it to the track ever so more.

I personally love the looks. Definitely more than any Ferrari or Lamborghini or any brand name exotics. Now, I’m going to test this baby, and see how fast it’ll go.

The Good…:
The downforce. That is remarkably spectacular. It’s 70 / 85, FYI. That’s 4 more points than the race version of this car (apparently something went wrong). Anyway, that gargantuan amount of downforce makes it corner with ease and fun. It tames 850 HP. It makes it brake well so your one-of-a-kind car won’t get wrecked.

Really, this car is fast. I got a 1’05 laptime on Midfield, on S2s. Racecars with R2’s get that laptime. I’ll bet you that this’ll be as fast as the race version, maybe even faster. This is one speed demon. 0-200 MPH is like no longer than 10 seconds. At least that’s how it feels.

…And the bad:
There really isn’t any glaring problems, but take it to Deep Forest on R4s. You’ll be turning left and right without even turning the wheel. The God-like grip of it vacuums it to each little contour in the road. It’s almost like auto-pilot. :scared:

Conclusion:
This is a must have. You can’t go wrong with it. Yes, it’s 1,000,000Cr, but it will pretty much own it’s competition. With glee. Get it if you want a supercar that acts like the ultimate racecar. It’s definitely worth a try.

The set-up:
Nissan R390 Road Car Set-up

Thanks for reading, and please comment!!!

I'm not doing that Volvo any more, it hasn't even come up in my garage in the past 3 days. I'm doing another car, but I don't know what yet...

Nice work on the R390 Duck, not tried that particular car out yet (always semed a bit pricey), as I'm starting to play around more with downforce for the next part of the guide I guess I should pick one of these up.

👍

Regards

Scaff

Nice Duck. That car is awesome. Not many road cars can compete with their Race Car version. That's a pretty fast car. Love the pics too. 👍

gs300banner4yu.jpg

Lexus GS 300 Vertex Edition (J) '00

Driver: Speedy_2

Deep Forest Raceway Time: 1’10.484

~Report~

Elegant, yet sporty at the same time. This car is beautiful and big. But what luxury car isn't, right? :sly: Once I purchased this car from the dealer I noticed that for a car of this size it comes with a pretty small engine. A 276HP 3.0L Inline 6. Not much of a powerplant for a 1680KG car. But, that's stock, and this is BESTuners. Let's see what we can squeeze out of it. ;)

~Good Things come in small packages~

After a complete Engine tune power is bumped to 713HP/635 ft. lb. That's impressive!! But, it's due to the fact that a Stage 4 turbo is available! Weight reduction brings total weight down to 1394lbs. Now let's see what this baby can do! Once I brought it to Deep Forest I knew it would need a soft suspension setting. A few tweaks in the garage and it was time to take this car out and see what it could do. First thing I noticed was that power. It's everywhere! Going into the first turn the brakes are perfect. Come in hard enough and you might get the tail to slide out and drift. Exiting the turns are even better. More and more throttle makes the car want to turn even more, despite any input from the steering wheel. I myself prefer to steer the car with the accelerator so this car was perfect for me and fun to drive. :dopey: Click here if you wanna go for a ride in this awesome car.

~The Bad~

There was really nothing bad at all about this car. Everything was perfect even the look. If I had one complaint it would be the transmission. It really could use a 6th gear. I assumed it did until I got on the track and a tap of the R2 button didn't do anything after 5th.

~Specifications & Settings~

Price of car from Dealer: $45,500

• 713 HP
• 635 ft. lbs.
• 1394 kg.

Parts Purchased:

• Exhaust & Air Filter: Racing - $4,800
• Racing Brakes - $4,700
• Brake Controller - $10,600
• Port Polish - $5,500
• Engine Balancing - $12,000
• Racing Chip - $1,500
• Transmission: FC - $10,400
• Clutch: Triple-Plate - $4,700
• Flywheel: Racing - $1,050
• Limited-Slip: FC - $6,600
• Carbon Driveshaft - $3,000
• Turbine Kit: Stage 4 - $80,000
• Intercooler: Racing - $3,000
• Suspension: FC - $17,000
• Racing Tires: Soft (R4) - $35,000
• Weight Reduction: Stage 3 - $28,700
• Increase Rigidity - $30,000
• BBS Rims: # 017 - $500
• Total Cost of Modifications: $272,550

Suspension:
Spring Rate – 10.5 | 11.0
Ride Height – 105 | 107
Shock (Bound) – 7 | 7
Shock (Rebound) – 9 | 9
Camber Angle – 3.0 | 1.0
Toe Angle – 0 | -1
Stabilizers – 4 | 5

Transmission
Final - 4.000
Auto – 16

LSD:
Initial – 8
Acceleration – 26
Deceleration – 15

Brake Controller
Front – 5
Rear – 4

Driving Aids
ASM Over steer – 0
ASM Under steer – 5
TCS Controller - 2

Great report Speedy, that's on my tuning list also. :sly:

I find it funny that everyone posts their report on the same day... we need to spread it out so we can have a new report coming in once every two days. ;)

Good work speedy_2, nice touch with the vidoe as well.

I've finally got around to working on the Monaro, which I hope to have ready for the end of the week.

Regards

Scaff

Back