Mad FinnTuners Co.™ - Finished 301010 with GT-Rdammerung - BIG THANKS everyone!

• Thread starter Greycap
  • 3,787 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've already tuned one, and it'll be released soon.. ish. I have to get my little rotary out first.

so, here is my review of the RUF R-GT:
the car really rocks, good and stable suspension, nice acceleration, redline @ about 285kmh, and no wheelspin with the S3's. the car is easy to control, although you should not turn under braking from high speeds, this can make the rear a bit loose. and you should adapt YOUR style to the RUF, not other way round!

and here are the results of my RUF comparison:
"my" RUF: 429HP, 413.66Nm, 1210kg
MFG RUF: 442HP, 425.71Nm, 1130kg

My RUF has standard gearbox, FC-susp, and S3's like the MFT RUF.
i did several rounds on Suzuka and on Tokyo R246. after noticing a "big" gap of about 2-3secs between the MFT and mine (mine was slower), i installed a "short"-gearbox and the gap decreased.
here are the times: MY RUF - Suzuka: 2'13:598, Tokyo: 1'48:467
MFT RUF - Suzuka: 2'11:874, Tokyo: 1'47:158

i really like the MFT RUF, but for me personally, mine makes more fun because you can let the rear slide easier and more into corners, and i have to admit, i "grow up" with my setup, so i'm more used to it. but the RUF really makes hard competition for my RUF, but i think that's because the MFT is lighter, has a bit more power and some drivetrainparts, that mine doesn't have.
if you want Greycap i can PM you my setup, and you can try on your own.

viper

so, here is my review of the RUF R-GT:
the car really rocks, good and stable suspension, nice acceleration, redline @ about 285kmh, and no wheelspin with the S3's. the car is easy to control, although you should not turn under braking from high speeds, this can make the rear a bit loose. and you should adapt YOUR style to the RUF, not other way round!
Thanks for testing it! Too true about adapting... nothing else drives like these grown up Volkswagens! :P

i really like the MFT RUF, but for me personally, mine makes more fun because you can let the rear slide easier and more into corners, and i have to admit, i "grow up" with my setup, so i'm more used to it. but the RUF really makes hard competition for my RUF, but i think that's because the MFT is lighter, has a bit more power and some drivetrainparts, that mine doesn't have.
There may be one big thing causing the handling differences, and that's the weight. As far as I know, GT4 models the weight distribution changes after lightening the car and there's a lot more to be taken out in the nose of a RUF than in the rear of it. Thus, your car may have a better balance.

if you want Greycap i can PM you my setup, and you can try on your own.

viper
Sure, give it a shot! 👍

i'll send you the PM tomorrow, because i'll come home lately today, so i have no time for that today, but tomorrow for sure!

viper

Greycap, I believe it was you who made the Spirra SC? I'm going to check for sure but it appears to be a great little car. I'm about to throw it through its paces...I'll get back with a review most likely later tonight.

indeed it was Greycap who came up with diabolic Spirra. But if you ever get dizzy of constant spinning, feel free to try out the Z-486 SC, a car that can run head to head with Group B rally cars on tarmac events, and possibly be competitive against JGTC/DTM-machinery.. :mischievous: without making you sweat.

And more news: Thanks to a minor breakthrough, Frost and R4 are going to get new settings that enable better handling and faster times. Expect to see Frost in the high 1'46's soon.. :mischievous: and today, a car that makes you think thinks sideways, will be added to our swiftly growing collection.

Err this post was about something else, but I changed my mind- looking forward to the Bimmer though.👍

Rex Jr. '92

391 bhp, 435 Nm, 1082 kg

Clickable for full size

Parts to buy:
Racing Exhaust
Racing Brakes
Brake Balance Controller
Turbo Kit Stage 1
Racing Intercooler
Port Polishing
Engine Balancing
Racing Chip
FC Transmission
Triple-plate Clutch
Racing Flywheel
FC LSD
Carbon Driveshaft
FC Suspension
S3 Tyres
Weight Reduction Stage 3
Rigidity Increase (rollcage)
Oil Change
New Wheels (optional)

Suspension
Spring Rate: 5.0 / 5.0
Ride Height: 110 / 110
Bound: 2 / 4
Rebound: 4 / 8
Camber: 1.5 / 2.5
Toe: 1 / -2
Stabilizers: 2 / 5

Brake Controller
Brakes: 5 / 4

Transmission

Note: First, reset the gearbox to the default settings, then set the Auto setting, and only then set the gear ratios.

Gear Ratios
1st: 2.614
2nd: 1.818
3rd: 1.450
4th: 1.181
5th: 0.975
6th: 0.819
Final Gear: 4.000

Autoset 12

LSD
Initial: 15
Acceleration: 20
Deceleration: 5

Driving Aids
ASM Oversteer: 0
ASM Understeer: 0
TCS: 0

Small yet powerful engine, light weight, RWD-layout. That is the concept of the perfect sportscar for enthusiast. One example could be the MFT's latest little beast, called Rex Jr. It's based on low mileage FD RX-7 RZ Twinturbo '92, but unlike the usual MFT products, it isn't just for trackdays. I doesn't have any exterior mods except the rims, and even the engine is producing 'mild' 391bhp and 435nm at high revs.

This car is also a pleasant daily driver, thanks to the engines humble nature and wide torque curve. Only the rollcage and slightly lower stance could give a hint that it might actually be rather quick and that's exactly what it is. It snarls seductively on straights, and creates the widest grin on your face ever, especially in corners where it happily kicks out it's tail and keeps it there as long as you don't drive like complete tool. Should you be a bit of a Spanner, and the car will quite swiftly remind you why it was named after the King of ancient reptiles, biting your head off without slightest hint of humbleness.

Have fun. ;)

Be careful though. when I say it's tail-happy, I mean it. :nervous: if it feels that it has too much power, try dropping the power around 380-360bhp..

Wow, haven't been here in a while, even more good products you guys are making!
That Rex Jr. certainly looks like a car one would underestimate... ;)
Anyway, please take a look at my suby I'm entering in this tuner contest, if you might find some time. This would be greatly appreciated!

lol @ a Rotary being daily driven.

Well...

NA rotaries are GREAT! You can't kill them!

But a turbo rotary with 350+? That is stretching it.

Ah, so what. Looks like a fun car. (And I know it's tailhappy; it's the '92 RZ, wha'd you expect? A Spirit?)

I prefer '92 RZ to Spirit R. I think i've been using too much grip during the few last months.:crazy: from now on, I'll be more and more aiming at sports tyres and no wing if possible.

from now on, I'll be more and more aiming at sports tyres and no wing if possible.
Delicious! I can't wait to try out the RX-7, my drift RX-7 on S3's was horrible to a remarkable degree, so an upgrade seems nice!

EDIT: I've started analyzing your setups as I see them, and usually I don't see much. But this car seems completely orthodox in almost every way, except the camber/stabilizer interaction. You put the front wheels at a low camber and with loose stabilizer, so it rolls on to its full contact patch easily and gives quick grip. The rears, though, were given a high camber and a high stabilizer rate, so the wheel is angled, and stays angled in cornering, giving tiny contact patch and therefore little grip. Correct me if I am wrong, but is this how you've made it drift?

Delicious! I can't wait to try out the RX-7, my drift RX-7 on S3's was horrible to a remarkable degree, so an upgrade seems nice!

EDIT: I've started analyzing your setups as I see them, and usually I don't see much. But this car seems completely orthodox in almost every way, except the camber/stabilizer interaction. You put the front wheels at a low camber and with loose stabilizer, so it rolls on to its full contact patch easily and gives quick grip. The rears, though, were given a high camber and a high stabilizer rate, so the wheel is angled, and stays angled in cornering, giving tiny contact patch and therefore little grip. Correct me if I am wrong, but is this how you've made it drift?

That is quite much spot on. just a small trick I had learned while doing 300mph runs. :D mind you though, this setup isn't suitable for button smashers.

Hommell Berlinette RT '99

304 bhp, 336 Nm, 864 kg

Clickable for full size

Parts to buy:
Racing Exhaust
Racing Brakes
Brake Balance Controller
NA Tuning Stage 3
Port Polishing
Engine Balancing
Racing Chip
FC Transmission
Triple-plate Clutch
Racing Flywheel
FC LSD
FC Suspension
S3 Tyres
Weight Reduction Stage 3
Oil Change
Rear Wing
New Wheels (optional)

Suspension
Spring Rate: 4.5 / 6.0
Ride Height: 110 / 115
Bound: 2 / 7
Rebound: 5 / 4
Camber: 2.5 / 1.5
Toe: -1 / 0
Stabilizers: 2 / 4

Brake Controller
Brakes: 5 / 8

Transmission

Note: First, reset the gearbox to the default settings, then set the Auto setting, and only then set the gear ratios.

Gear Ratios
1st: 2.958
2nd: 2.080
3rd: 1.629
4th: 1.342
5th: 1.136
6th: 0.956
Final Gear: 3.500

Autoset 10

LSD
Initial: 25
Acceleration: 20
Deceleration: 15

Downforce
Amount: 30 / 30

Driving Aids
ASM Oversteer: 0
ASM Understeer: 0
TCS: 0

Michel Hommell had a dream. He wanted to build a sports car. His dream came true in 1994, in the shape of the Hommell Berlinette. The lightweight vehicle has an oldschool spaceframe chassis, mounts a Peugeot engine and is just about the least known car in this game. Quite a shame, because it deserves more. We gave it more. Now known as the Berlinette RT, the car packs a power figure similar to the Honda NSX-R, while weighing some 400 kilograms less. The road holding is superb, but beware, it probably has something in relation to our earlier French assassin. Just when you least expect it... but for most of the time, it's your best friend and just a laughably agile trackday racer.

Reviews:

by nd 4 holden spd
by oscarhardwick
by Pyrelli
by Rotary Junkie

Last edited:
Hmmmm, not for button mashers, this RX-7? I take that as a challenge...

It does seem fun to have a race-speed MFT drift mount. So far, I've fallen in love with my MR2 on N1's with ballast of +50 location and 0 weight. The driving dynamics are beyond belief (Damn, there's no 'love' smiley). Unfortunately, it seems no one else uses sportscars on N1s, so I can't really participate in any ghost battles. It still boggles my mind that S3 drifting is even possible, honestly.

Actually, your new Mazda may suit me quite well; I have loads of trouble trying to keep a car in grip when it wants to drift--"Which way will it go next?"--but, once sideways, it seems I have excellent ability to keep things going smoothly.

Only time will tell, though.

MR2's are indeed good platforms for drifting, as are MX-5/Miata's. Older FD's and FC's are well suited in this kind of activities too, but old FC is actually quite good match for R32 Skyline GTS-T in terms of performance and track times. They actually can even threaten 500bhp R32 GT-R's :eek:

It's happened again. Every time we publish something less than rocket fast, it goes without attention. I just can't understand why... somebody tell me why a fast car you have to fight with is more attractive than a slower fantastic handler.

It's happened again. Every time we publish something less than rocket fast, it goes without attention. I just can't understand why... somebody tell me why a fast car you have to fight with is more attractive than a slower fantastic handler.
I like the challenge? As for the masses, I'm guessing they just want more horsepower. Also, I like the tire choice for this car!

On second thought, I think I've cracked it: It's the wing. It's not extremely fast, but it's still trying very hard to do so. The Seat Cupra and the Toyota MR-2 were both very well-recieved. Wingless. If you must use a method to obtain better handling with purchasing alone, R Tires are preferable to a wing: A wing tends to (in GT4, at least) completely disrupt a car's style, but R Tires actually make the car look better with larger (but never distastefully large) wheels.

However, in my opinion, it's both more commendable and more fun to use neither. Thus, I'm about to try out the new RUF (finally) and the new RX-7.

OK, I'll give the car a go, I'm not sure if I even got one yet so this is a good excuse,it can have 100hp for all I care, it means I race 150hp opponents. Will a body rigidity increase have any major impact on its' handling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back