Mad FinnTuners Co.™ - Finished 301010 with GT-Rdammerung - BIG THANKS everyone!

• Thread starter Greycap
  • 3,787 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I drove the two unwinged, S3-Tired cars:

Rex Jr: Honestly, I am disappointed with the car. I didn't expect that it would be easy to make an S3 drifter, but I expected that, if you said you'd made one, that you'd made one. The stock suspension is much more driftable than the setup you made. Technically, it is possible to hurl the car sideways through brief corners with the trusty handbrake, but that can be done in nearly anything. The car could only make it through lengthy corners at a miniscule angle, more a 'minor oversteer' than an actual drift. And I try to take hairpins sideways, but the car's high rear grip makes it nearly uncontrollable; the margin of error is tiny. It's not a matter of if I will snap back into the outer wall, it's a matter of when I will snap back into the outer wall. Though, that's a bit harsh; I could also lose all momentum and slide to a stop, too. The car is a bit more controllable than the stock version, much less weight transfer and slightly higher cornering speeds, but the car oversteers too much to be a true cornering ace either. So, to summarize: There's not nearly enough oversteer to be a drifter, and far too much oversteer to be a proper racer. I'm really sorry about this, but I must:

👎

:guilty:

RUF R-GT: The stock RUF felt kind of like a racecar to drive, minus the pace. There was no weight transfer, no playfulness, no oversteer, but still, plenty of understeer. The gearing was, as seems standard, way too high to be of any use. Also, the ride height just seemed, asthetically speaking, way, way too low, like it had a hydraulic suspension with a horrible leak (or perhaps like a Honda Civic owner got their hands on it...). The tune wrenched it up to a dignified height, and suddenly, the rear end got a little playful under braking! The cornering speeds rose a beat or two with the new tune, and the new transmission ratios were well-suited to the car. Overall, it was a satisfying improvement on a car that should have been a hero from the very beginning.

👍

I like the challenge? As for the masses, I'm guessing they just want more horsepower. Also, I like the tire choice for this car!
So it seems. Few people remember cars like the old MG sports cars, virtually no power but unrivalled fun of driving. Well, that's what the current culture has brought with it.

If you must use a method to obtain better handling with purchasing alone, R Tires are preferable to a wing: A wing tends to (in GT4, at least) completely disrupt a car's style, but R Tires actually make the car look better with larger (but never distastefully large) wheels.

However, in my opinion, it's both more commendable and more fun to use neither.
The downside of the R tyres is that they outlaw the car from most of the races in the game. There is no doubt that the Hommell's trackday racer styling would benefit from them, both aesthetically and performance wise, but then pretty much the only race for it would be the Tuning Car Grand Prix. The wing allows making the car faster while still enabling it to be raced. It's a compromise, but sometimes needed. What I can promise is that the next car by me won't have a wing.

And of course, thanks for the RUF review! I'll let Leonidae handle the Mazda review as it's his car.

It's rare to see someone making a positive comment about a drastic increase in ride height, but as you've noticed, this car really needed it. It really needed the gearbox too. I don't know why the stock one is as hopeless as it is, but the good thing is that we can make it better. 👍

As usually, need a car?

I drove the two unwinged, S3-Tired cars:

Rex Jr: Honestly, I am disappointed with the car. I didn't expect that it would be easy to make an S3 drifter, but I expected that, if you said you'd made one, that you'd made one. The stock suspension is much more driftable than the setup you made. Technically, it is possible to hurl the car sideways through brief corners with the trusty handbrake, but that can be done in nearly anything. The car could only make it through lengthy corners at a miniscule angle, more a 'minor oversteer' than an actual drift. And I try to take hairpins sideways, but the car's high rear grip makes it nearly uncontrollable; the margin of error is tiny. It's not a matter of if I will snap back into the outer wall, it's a matter of when I will snap back into the outer wall. Though, that's a bit harsh; I could also lose all momentum and slide to a stop, too. The car is a bit more controllable than the stock version, much less weight transfer and slightly higher cornering speeds, but the car oversteers too much to be a true cornering ace either. So, to summarize: There's not nearly enough oversteer to be a drifter, and far too much oversteer to be a proper racer. I'm really sorry about this, but I must:

👎

:guilty:

if it possible to get a video footage of the replay? Because both I and Grey found this car to be very entertaining to drive. Also, if you use DS2 instead of a wheel, it has it's effect on the car's behaviour as well.

True, it's bit too drifty to be fast all out racer, and bit too grippy to be a drifter.. but neither of those were the aims of this car. the main target was pleasure of controlling the car, picking out whether you want to drift or grip the corner, while being in total control of the car.

I do use the DS2, I've got a DFP coming in about 23 days. I did like the control of the car, but, after thinking about it for a few minutes, I got more and more opposed to it. I could post a .max file of me driving it if you want, but I don't really have a way to get actual video up. Sorry.

Just out of curiosity, what difference about the car would a wheel make?

Finally, I'd like to have I guess at the first 'mixed surface' car Greycap mentioned a while ago: The Lancia Delta Integrale. White, 4 Time WRC Winner, and the Finns do seem to have a thing for rallying... Just a guess, but I've gone through the logic, and I think I may have it!

Yeah, my first guess was an Evo IV Rally because Greycap (Or is it Leonidae) seems to have a fascination with it, but I checked the wikipedia article on WRC wins and Evo only showed up once.

I do use the DS2, I've got a DFP coming in about 23 days. I did like the control of the car, but, after thinking about it for a few minutes, I got more and more opposed to it. I could post a .max file of me driving it if you want, but I don't really have a way to get actual video up. Sorry.

Just out of curiosity, what difference about the car would a wheel make?

I cannot view ARMAX-files.:guilty:

there is rather large difference between wheel and controller: no more instant lock-to-lock action, since it's impossible with 900 degree wheel, so now steering is more accurate, requiring more finesse. At first, you'll feel awkward for few weeks, maybe a month, and mastering all cars might take as long as two weeks with a wheel. Even a stock MR2 '86 can be a challenge!:scared:

but generally, it's as fast or even faster way to control the car, and then you actually get a feedback from the tyres.

Yeah, my first guess was an Evo IV Rally because Greycap (Or is it Leonidae) seems to have a fascination with it, but I checked the wikipedia article on WRC wins and Evo only showed up once.
The car I mentioned indeed is the Evo IV, not the rally version but the road car. Painted Scotia White with Evo VI TME wheels.

I don't know how you've read the Wikipedia, saying that the Delta won the world championship four times and the Lancer just once. Or did you read the constructors' championship list, that would explain it?

The point is, it's not about the constructors' title. Check the drivers' list and you'll find one driver who has driven the Lancer fast enough to become the world champion. And not only once, he won four championships in a row with it and that's what makes it so special to me.

Here's a review on the Hommel Berlinette
First I think I'll just point out the flaws so I can finish on a high note. I think the biggest problem was that it still got a bit oversteery on high speed corners and I thought maybe all it needed was to be lowered but maybe not seein as you got the suspension so soft, other than that the only other flaw was top speed which can be changed from track to track. Now the good stuff- the car is very controllable under brakes which I like, doesn't go veering off in crazy directions but still turns when you tell it to and the car for the most part has go-kart like handling which is good- just keeps turning. I don't know why people don't like it's look, I think that straight on the front it's quite a beautiful car, in the middle where doors and windows are is where they screwed up but from the back it also looks fine. I would recommend this car to others because it's a very fun drive.

Thanks for the review! 👍

Here's a review on the Hommel Berlinette
First I think I'll just point out the flaws so I can finish on a high note. I think the biggest problem was that it still got a bit oversteery on high speed corners and I thought maybe all it needed was to be lowered but maybe not seein as you got the suspension so soft, other than that the only other flaw was top speed which can be changed from track to track.
Very true about the oversteer at high speeds. It was a tough one to get tamed, this is my second tune on the car. The first one was lethal to say the least. The tail got out and there was nothing to catch it. Now the tail still gets out but it can be returned to the line by quick and precise steering inputs.

Lowering might cure it, but it would also introduce more understeer in slower corners and there's already enough of it. An even easier way to stabilize it would be to lower the front downforce by five to ten clicks but that would also affect the slower corners too, taking away the responsiveness in them.

Now the good stuff- the car is very controllable under brakes which I like, doesn't go veering off in crazy directions but still turns when you tell it to and the car for the most part has go-kart like handling which is good- just keeps turning. I don't know why people don't like it's look, I think that straight on the front it's quite a beautiful car, in the middle where doors and windows are is where they screwed up but from the back it also looks fine. I would recommend this car to others because it's a very fun drive.
While it's no Elise thanks to the higher weight, it seems I got the handling down reasonably well. It's more at home on tracks like Autumn Ring or Suzuka than the likes of Midfield.

Indeed, thanks for this, need a car? :)

after all these reviews, i think i really should try out the Rex Jr., but sadly i have not much sparetime at the moment, but i will test it!

viper

I cannot view ARMAX-files.:guilty:

there is rather large difference between wheel and controller:

*snip*

but generally, it's as fast or even faster way to control the car, and then you actually get a feedback from the tyres.
So the tire feedback will help me figure out whether or not it's about to snap into the outer wall (during those kamikaze e-brake corners)? I guess I'll find out in about... 3 fortnights, by your timetable.

The intimidating thing to me about the wheel's large rotation is that there's an element of commitment not present in a 2.5cm wide joystick. Actually, I learned that lesson at excessive speeds in a golf cart.:dopey: The others were not amused.:nervous:

So the tire feedback will help me figure out whether or not it's about to snap into the outer wall (during those kamikaze e-brake corners)? I guess I'll find out in about... 3 fortnights, by your timetable.

The intimidating thing to me about the wheel's large rotation is that there's an element of commitment not present in a 2.5cm wide joystick. Actually, I learned that lesson at excessive speeds in a golf cart.:dopey: The others were not amused.:nervous:

:lol: I see. But indeed, the feedback is a thing to appreciate. and occasionally, I feel like the feedback would change if I make drastic changes in the settings.. I have to talk about this with Grey.

Thanks for the review! 👍

Very true about the oversteer at high speeds. It was a tough one to get tamed, this is my second tune on the car. The first one was lethal to say the least. The tail got out and there was nothing to catch it. Now the tail still gets out but it can be returned to the line by quick and precise steering inputs.

Lowering might cure it, but it would also introduce more understeer in slower corners and there's already enough of it. An even easier way to stabilize it would be to lower the front downforce by five to ten clicks but that would also affect the slower corners too, taking away the responsiveness in them.

While it's no Elise thanks to the higher weight, it seems I got the handling down reasonably well. It's more at home on tracks like Autumn Ring or Suzuka than the likes of Midfield.

Indeed, thanks for this, need a car? :)

About lowering it sometimes you might need to make some sacrifice in other parts of the cars handling so as to have a more consistent, quicker car with all-round abilities, but it doesn't matter that much, like you say, it's controllable. Rather than request a new car, you could just gimme a review on my Monaro at Aussie Tuners, I love it, it provides pretty good racing in the Dream Car Champioship but it could probably still use improving, either that or a Mitsubishi HSR II concept car would be nice.:dopey::dopey:

Rather than request a new car, you could just gimme a review on my Monaro at Aussie Tuners, I love it, it provides pretty good racing in the Dream Car Champioship but it could probably still use improving, either that or a Mitsubishi HSR II concept car would be nice.:dopey::dopey:
It's very hard to tell how to improve a car, everyone has a different driving style and what suits me, probably doesn't suit you.

So if you really want to let me decide, I'll go for that concept. It's one of the weirdest cars in the game, has reputation similar to the Honda Jazz when it comes to being good and looks so hideous that it deserves to shine once in its time of existence. It has a lot of components similar to the 3000GT so I bet it can even become quite fast. PM me for more details. 👍

Oh, it's winter and there's some snow? that means that MFT will break out two 4wd specials. And no, they're NOT GT-R's. ;)

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV TME '96

295 bhp, 370 Nm, 1147 kg

Clickable for full size

Parts to buy:
Racing Brakes
Brake Balance Controller
Port Polishing
Engine Balancing
FC Transmission
Triple-plate Clutch
Racing Flywheel
AYC
Carbon Driveshaft
FC Suspension
S3 / Dirt Tyres
Weight Reduction Stage 3
Rigidity Refresh
Oil Change
New Wheels (optional)

Suspension
Spring Rate: 5.0 / 4.0
Ride Height: 135 / 145
Bound: 2 / 6
Rebound: 6 / 8
Camber: 2.0 / 1.5
Toe: 1 / 0
Stabilizers: 2 / 6

Brake Controller
Brakes: 4 / 7

Transmission

Note: First, reset the gearbox to the default settings, then set the Auto setting, and only then set the gear ratios.

Gear Ratios
1st: 2.449
2nd: 1.741
3rd: 1.362
4th: 1.124
5th: 0.950
6th: 0.817
Final Gear: 4.500

Autoset 8

LSD
Initial: 10
Acceleration: 20
Deceleration: 5

AYC
Active Yaw Control: 80

Driving Aids
ASM Oversteer: 0
ASM Understeer: 0
TCS: 0

Most fans of the already legendary Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution know about the Evo VI TME built to celebrate Tommi Mäkinen's four World Championships behind the wheel of the Evolution. We wanted to honour the older Evo IV with a similar modification, after all it brought Tommi his second title in the most miraculous way ever seen in the history of rallying.

The changes made to the car are a bit more on the extreme side than on the Evo VI, this version has the full Group A suspension and gearbox fitted to ensure rapid changes of direction and speed. However, it retains the superb Active Yaw Control differential of the road going GSR model to give it extra manoeuvrability in tight cornering. The power wasn't increased that much, keeping with the Group A regulations of a 300 bhp limit and as an added bonus for the rally fans the trunk holds a set of four brand new gravel tyres. It only takes the time needed to unscrew the bolts, change the wheels and screw the bolts to turn a tarmac ripper into an effective rally racer. The weight is quite a bit below that of the race version, there is no rollcage as it's not needed on a road car. To top the package off are the wheels borrowed from the bigger brother, shod with special Bridgestone tyres for the ultimate road legal grip. I bet Tommi himself would be happy to have one.

Reviews:

by =drifting24/7=
by EA11R
by ranhammerR34
by viperpilot

Last edited:
AN EVO!! Now, soon as I'm ungrounded, it's my first order of business. So guys, did you tune her for rallying?

The power wasn't increased that much, keeping with the Group A regulations of a 300 bhp limit and as an added bonus for the rally fans the trunk holds a set of four brand new gravel tyres.

Yes, it seems it works on dirt. Which probably means it works on snow as well...

Also, it's nice to see MFT is using proper wheels from the used market! I don't really like to mix manufacturers, escpecially when the wheels aren't very pretty (STi wheels on an MR2?). I like to look for the fantastically shiny PDXXX wheels. Great fun, those ones.

mustangGT90210 - Be warned though, it's a good deal twitchier than the usual ones. ;) As much as I hate to toot my own horn, "guys" is a bit wrong. All our cars are 95% to 100% tuned by the one who posted it. Ideas are naturally shared, car pairs are thoroughly thought about, but when it comes to the actual tuning we work independently. About the rally capabilities, the next posting answered it, and to the reply we go...

EA11R - It definitely works on dirt. I promise nothing certain about snow but then again, I see no reason for it to suddenly stop handling. The TME wheels were the only option I ever even thought about for this car, the "family look" is retained, not to mention that they look very good. The problem has been, they show up once in the 30-day cycle and this particular Evo has three sets of them... and I'll get the fourth set too. :D

mustangGT90210 - Be warned though, it's a good deal twitchier than the usual ones. ;) As much as I hate to toot my own horn, "guys" is a bit wrong. All our cars are 95% to 100% tuned by the one who posted it. Ideas are naturally shared, car pairs are thoroughly thought about, but when it comes to the actual tuning we work independently. About the rally capabilities, the next posting answered it, and to the reply we go...

EA11R - It definitely works on dirt. I promise nothing certain about snow but then again, I see no reason for it to suddenly stop handling. The TME wheels were the only option I ever even thought about for this car, the "family look" is retained, not to mention that they look very good. The problem has been, they show up once in the 30-day cycle and this particular Evo has three sets of them... and I'll get the fourth set too. :D

Twitchier? Beautiful, my rally EVO is a bit too stable for my liking.

i'm not really a fan of the EVO IV, because i don't like the look..............but maybe i'll try it out to change my opinion...............hopefully it's easier to get in the used-car-lot than the Rex Jr..............

viper

Wolf R32'03

329 bhp, 427 Nm, 1241 kg

Clickable for full size

Parts to buy:
Sports Exhaust
Racing Brakes
Brake Balance Controller
NA Tuning Stage 1
Port Polishing
Engine Balancing
Racing Chip
FC Transmission
Triple-plate Clutch
Racing Flywheel
Carbon Driveshaft
FC Suspension
S3 Tyres
Weight Reduction Stage 3
Rigidity Increase (rollcage)
Oil Change
New Wheels (optional)

Suspension
Spring Rate: 9.0 / 7.0
Ride Height: 86 / 86
Bound: 2 / 4
Rebound: 4 / 8
Camber: 3.0 / 1.5
Toe: 1 / -2
Stabilizers: 2 / 5

Brake Controller
Brakes: 5 / 4

Transmission

Note: First, reset the gearbox to the default settings, then set the Auto setting, and only then set the gear ratios.

Gear Ratios
1st: 2.775
2nd: 1.928
3rd: 1.433
4th: 1.115
5th: 0.908
6th: 0.774
Final Gear: 4.235

Autoset 9

Driving Aids
ASM Oversteer: 0
ASM Understeer: 0
TCS: 0

On a sunny day in Wolfsburg, the engineers on the VW Motorsports decided to make a limited edition of the already desired Golf R32. Codenamed as "Wolf R32", the project started swiftly. But no matter what they did, they couldn't sort out the nose-heavy handling. One of the chief engineers made a short, discreet call to Finland, and in two days, MFT arrived with their private jet. When Finnish and German talents were mixed together, the problems were solved in no-time, and soon the car was shaving off seconds from the previous laptimes, without a trace of nose-heavy behaviour. As a display of honour, VW's main engineer agreed to attach a small badge, "Tuned by MFT Co." to every Wolf's dashboard.

thankies. and I promise that 4wd-theme will continue, in form of two turbocharged, fire-breathing, tyre-burning beasts that are pushing out nearly 500bhp.. and are still running on sports tyres, and without a wing.:scared:

Since I have not been here on GTP for a long time, I thought I would do a little visit.

You guys have released some new great cars, I see..
Myself, I have taken a break in my Gt playing..

Keep up the amazing work.. You guys are true masters

Hommel Berlinette RT:

It's not easy to drive.

It's not fast or consistent.

It's a helluva challenge to get a handle on, though!

Anyhow, my impressions: There is some slight understeer on entry to some corners, isually at low speed. Others the tail will simply snap out and bite you.

But, I do believe, a good driver (And I mean REALLY good) would be able to set some very nice laptimes with it; and when you DO get a corner right in it, it feels bloody awesome. Tail just slides a little bit, perfectly arcing through the turn...

Just don't expect it to do that every corner every lap. If you put the car one inch off the perfect line, it will bite you.

Grey, if you DO wind up making changes to this car, please keep these settings up as well, I feel that someone with enough patience can improve their driving by slowly getting closer and closer to a clean lap with it.

Then they can move on to the fast monsters like the Spirra and Blackbird and still complain about how dead they are afterwards. :lol:

Still yet to test the original setup, but I know MFT would never release something worse than stock.

So, while it scores low as a race vehicle (too unpredictable and ultimately lacking in power to make up for that), probably about a 6.5/10, as a toy and atool to improve oneself, it gets an easy 8.5-9/10. 👍

I'll think I'll try the Wolf R32, I couldn't help but notice the irony whether intended or not that in some countries an R32 is called a Rabbit and wolves EAT rabbits so this is gonna EAT a standard Golf judging by that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back