Mad FinnTuners Co.™ - Finished 301010 with GT-Rdammerung - BIG THANKS everyone!

• Thread starter Greycap
  • 3,787 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
:lol: Put your prejudices aside.. even if they don't have big, rumbling pushrod V8's from the dark ages or leafsprings from horse carriages, they might surprise.. just like my FD-R was faster than C740R..

Many modern day muscles don't use leaf springs and Ford use Twin Overhead Cam V8s, but the Pushrod V8 is an almighty engine nonetheless.
My guess for the Japanese Hatch is a Mirage and the Euro, I dunno a Mercedes A class?

Edit: Wait, I have a better guess, you said it was related to the Civic so it's probably a Honda, therefore a CR-X 👍 That car has a fairly unique look and I might have a go at it.

I'm guessing something French will be involved 💡:sly:

As for Leo's, I'm stumped. I'll have to guess, though, that it's a... Honda Fit!

Okay, maybe not a Fit, but he said it would be realted to Civic, so that's my best guess.

EDIT: No, I forgot it had to be 3-door. My new guess, I'm actually pretty confident in: Honda City Turbo II! It's a suprisingly rapid car from the 80s, hardly heavier than a Kei-car, but with 105hp stock. Doesn't sound like much, I know, but the speed is intense.

A Peugeot 106 Rallye might be interesting... here's hoping!

You like your Peugeots don't you, I'm still hoping for a Merc. And still hanging out for a CR-X, at least that one has some style.

Edit: I would still like to request that the Finns drive my CIEN at Aussie Tuners. It might earn me some respect, just like my Monaro did.

i'm curious about the new FF-cars, there aren't much, that are really good, but in your hands i think they will be good 👍

viper

well give a response to there cars...they may respond to ours

I do review some of there cars, don't I guys? But after talking it up so much they deserve to have hard evidence to talk me down, sorry guys. In the excitement of building a car that was so damn quick I got a bit cocky, so once again, sorry.

Edit: Well I'm just using the wrong words all the time lately, first it was the difference between here and hear and now it's there and their.

one of you guys guessed my car correctly. just wait and see. it'll have similar power as Greycap's car, but probably has less torque. I managed to fix the ridiculous oversteer issue too, now it's nice and neutral.:dopey: but naturally, slight power over is available when needed.

one of you guys guessed my car correctly. just wait and see. it'll have similar power as Greycap's car, but probably has less torque. I managed to fix the ridiculous oversteer issue too, now it's nice and neutral.:dopey: but naturally, slight power over is available when needed.

Yay, a 1990 CR-X, I just assume these things, I hope you got my apology earlier.......

Audi TT-S '03 Review

From the onset I had a very good impression of the car. With most setups I find it usually takes a good four or five laps before I feel I understand the car and push for fast laps, but as you can guess with this setup, the same feeling came very naturally in literally the first couple of laps.

This test was done on GVS and I have no doubt that the results would be the same given any other track. On the fast right-hand corner before the start/finish straight, the setup allowed the car to take this at full throttle very consistently. Also amongst the biggest surprises, seeing as it was on R3's, came at the first corner after the straight where the braking was so strong and well controlled (very little oversteer and no understeer), that in the end I was braking deep into the entry of the corner past the very last distance marker board! :eek:

Accelerating out of this corner, the traction given by the well mated suspension settings and tyres, meant that the car was never at risk of overwhelming the tyres; a point best demonstrated at the sharp hairpin where the tight corner, taken in a low gear, never once exposed any problems even under very demanding inputs.

In the tight mid section of the course, the car was quick to change direction and always held the intended lines with a racing car-esque cleanliness and precision. The well controlled lateral weight shifting meant that the car was hard to unsettle, and also the dampers are tuned as such that even unintentional clips of the curbs were of little concern.

Coming out of the tunnel and into the long left-right sweep revealed my only complaint for this car. Whilst the tidy nature of the car (which allows racing lines to be taken with ease) is good, it is very restricting, and at times I feel that a touch of power oversteer would help the car to be both more enjoyable and ultimately faster. For the rest of the lap the handling was great and the car took all the corners in its stride. Perhaps another fault, though admittedly I haven't had a good look at the power curve, the gearing for sixth could be slightly longer as I was consistently red-lining down the main straight; the thinking behind this being to make better use of the power available.

Overall this is a setup that is ideal for people who love to stick to the "perfect" racing line. The car is very stable and holds lines with an uncanny precision, though this is also the cars main fault, as it doesn't allow for too much experimentation with lines which more often than not will be detrimental to the laps times. Be it by the well set brake bias or an inherent ability of the car, the braking is simply phenomenal and will probably be the main obstacle for reaching faster lap times; i.e. that the brake distances are so unnaturally low that it doesn't feel right to leave it as late as this setup allows. So great choice of car and setup Leo 👍, I only wish that I could make mine appear as good as yours :(

Pyrelli

Audi TT-S @ GVS - 1'51.214

Crikey! That's one awesome review for the TT-S!:dopey:

I'm glad that you liked it. It had a tendency to kick it's tail out under braking, just like any other AWD with heavy nose, so I had to wrestle with it for few months.. I had to put it away for a while since it was resisting my best attempts until I managed to come out with proper settings for it. Later in the future, I might, or might not try it without LSD and VCD just to see if it'll allow any more creative driving lines that you were missing. Anyways, ask for a car and I'll do my best to deliver!

Hommell Berlinette RT '99 Review – “the Berlinette isn’t confined by GT4s monotonous predictability”
Finally found the time to counter this one! 👍

I won't quote more as your findings are pretty much the same as my own ones. It still oversteers too much at speed, I know how to stop it from doing that but it would also lead to more understeer and losing the character of the car. Simply dropping the front downforce would do the trick. The lack of power is an unfortunate thing, the chassis could easily handle 400 bhp but we got what we got. Had to make the most out of it.

One thing that catches my attention is your lap times. While I definitely don't want to bash your achievements, let me throw a hypothetical question. Is it possible that the DS2 gives an advantage like that on nervous cars? The base for this assumption is my own experimenting with the Grim R34per (and some eight years of controller driving), the DS2 gave lap times almost a second and a half faster than the G25 thanks to the ease of control, the car basically corrects itself and the driver can concentrate only on the actual driving. Then again, with the quite neutral Griffith we were just about even. Just an idea. :dopey:

Echoing Leonidae's latest sentence here...

Mmmhmm.. now that I've gotten a grip of driving with G25, I believe that I've improved a lot. That setup was the last one I made with/for DS2 if I recall right..

One thing that catches my attention is your lap times. While I definitely don't want to bash your achievements, let me throw a hypothetical question. Is it possible that the DS2 gives an advantage like that on nervous cars? The base for this assumption is my own experimenting with the Grim R34per (and some eight years of controller driving), the DS2 gave lap times almost a second and a half faster than the G25 thanks to the ease of control, the car basically corrects itself and the driver can concentrate only on the actual driving. Then again, with the quite neutral Griffith we were just about even. Just an idea. :dopey:

Echoing Leonidae's latest sentence here...

I don't recall saying that the car was nervous but where I've used cars that are (such as the Suzuki GSX-R or a very highly tuned minolta at the ring), I've always found that the controller is very limiting. By that I mean that since it basically goes from lock to lock with no effort you don't get half the control that you need.

On that basis I assume that for slower more controllable cars, such as the TT-S, the wheel would give even greater control though the difference would be less. The only time I feel that the DS2 would be advantageous is for correction for misakes such as in countersteering.

Just to add a little more to the discussion, I don't know if you've noticed but I've got quite accustomed to the pressure sensitive buttons, but even so modulation is a bit tricky and inconsistent; without doubt that alone, particularly for high power/low grip cars, gives using wheel & pedals a big advantage.

To Leo and Grey, as with R.J I don't have any cars in mind and I'm happy to work off the list of cars available.. I trust that you guys will be able to find gems of cars that I haven't touched before such as the Hommell!

Pyrelli

Edit: The vid will probably be up tomorrow, I guess that'll give you the chance to have a good look at the difference in terms of controllers

Edit (ii): Audi TT-S @ GVS [Replay]

Renault Clio 2.0 Sport '02

205 bhp, 237 Nm, 910 kg

Clickable for full size

Parts to buy:
Sports Exhaust
Racing Brakes
Brake Balance Controller
Port Polishing
Engine Balancing
Racing Chip
FC Transmission
Triple-plate Clutch
Racing Flywheel
FC Suspension
S3 Tyres
Weight Reduction Stage 3
Oil Change
New Wheels (optional)

Suspension
Spring Rate: 4.0 / 3.5
Ride Height: 120 / 125
Bound: 2 / 8
Rebound: 6 / 8
Camber: 2.0 / 1.5
Toe: -1 / -1
Stabilizers: 2 / 4

Brake Controller
Brakes: 5 / 10

Transmission

Note: First, reset the gearbox to the default settings, then set the Auto setting, and only then set the gear ratios.

Gear Ratios
1st: 2.603
2nd: 1.851
3rd: 1.436
4th: 1.189
5th: 1.009
6th: 0.868
Final Gear: 4.000

Autoset 8

Driving Aids
ASM Oversteer: 0
ASM Understeer: 0
TCS: 0

Does it look like a Type R killer? Hell no! Does it perform like one? Well, yes. Believe it or not. Lightened to the max this deep blue pocket rocket storms through corners with great ease and rips out onto the next straight without a hint of the irritating wheelspin if the driver is anywhere up to the task. The engine isn't the most powerful out there with only 205 wild horses harnessed to move the body but still the movement is nowhere near sluggish, eight minutes is an achievable goal on the Nürburgring by slightly taller gearing and a great driver. I achieved 8'07 and more than a half of the back straight had to be driven on half throttle as the car ran out of ratios. The suspension takes just about anything you can throw at it and still retains the smoothness of the road going Clio, only unleashing its true capabilities under the forces of hard cornering. If you want a sleeper grocery getter, this really is your car.

Reviews:

by EA11R
by viperpilot

Last edited:
So thats the unknown warrior? I have to say, I've never raced it...Bit ugly, but I think I'll try her out.

Honda CR-X Type R concept'90

205 bhp, 192 Nm, 897 kg

Clickable for full size

Parts to buy:
Semi-racing Exhaust
Racing Brakes
Brake Balance Controller
NA Tuning Stage 1
Port Polishing
Engine Balancing
Racing Chip
FC Transmission
Triple-plate Clutch
Racing Flywheel
FC LSD
FC Suspension
S3 Tyres
Weight Reduction Stage 3
Rigidity Increase (rollcage)
Rigidity Refresh
Oil Change
New Wheels (optional)

Suspension
Spring Rate: 6.0 / 3.0
Ride Height: 115 / 115
Bound: 2 / 4
Rebound: 4 / 8
Camber: 2.0 / 1.5
Toe: 1 / -2
Stabilizers: 6 / 3

Brake Controller
Brakes: 5 / 4

Transmission

Note: First, reset the gearbox to the default settings, then set the Auto setting, and only then set the gear ratios.

Gear Ratios
1st: 2.837
2nd: 2.017
3rd: 1.570
4th: 1.284
5th: 1.092
6th: 0.947
Final Gear: 4.000

Autoset 8

LSD
Initial: 15
Acceleration: 40
Deceleration: 15

Driving Aids
ASM Oversteer: 0
ASM Understeer: 0
TCS: 0

Back in the early 90's, the Honda Motor Company was looking for revitalizing ideas for the new sportscar. Both of Honda's best selling cars, the Civic and the CR-X, already had their SiR-models and the NSX was on sale as well, but they needed something between these two extremes.
Enter the Honda CR-X Type R Concept. Seen only by the big brass of Honda, this car was the thing that really got Honda to think about even hotter hatches. But the second generation CR-X was already closing in the end of its life cycle, and a new chassis was already on the design boards, so this spectacular little banshee never saw production. Most of its credentials were passed on to the first Civic Type R that made its debut with the new chassis almost half a decade later.
Later this car ended up in Honda's Museum in a worn out state after some fierce testing sessions. After all, it had been the test bed for the furious 200bhp+ in-line four that now shrieks under modern Type R's bonnet. To celebrate Type R's success on the road and racing scene, Honda decided to ask MFT to rebuild the car to it's former glory, and the result can be seen here in its smooth, menacing black. This car still oozes the promise of power and agility, which still is nearly unmatched by other hot hatches.

I must say, it looks like that CR-X is gonna be a beast in that power category. I think I'll enlist the help of a fellow GT player and test the 2 against each other...

I must say, it looks like that CR-X is gonna be a beast in that power category. I think I'll enlist the help of a fellow GT player and test the 2 against each other...

*gasps in realisation* I'm a GT player, nah you already got someone, I was just kidding. Looks like I was right, it was a CR-X, now I've got to drive it, it just looks sporty for such an old hatch. I've a question though, is the Clio the same as in Tuner Challenge? If it is then I've already got it and you know I like it.👍

Edit: This will be a quick review sorry guys as I'm going to have to go to work soon
Honda CR-X Type-R Concept '90
Well I wish I had it in black but such is life. This is a good feeling little car for an FF, it doesn't have any nonsense wheelspin and it has a quirky exhaust note that at the same time sounds beefy for a four banger. The car shows it's FF by some mild understeer under partial acceleration around corners, but put the foot down and it power oversteers just like you said it would a while back. What a way to solve problems, flaw it. The car feels just right under brakes, it aint twitchy and it won't careen off the road. If I remember correctly and that is the same Clio from TC then I think the Clio was quicker but what can you do? I love the torque curve btw, no matter what revs you are at the torque will be there, very useable.

yup, it indeed is that very same Clio. And I'm grateful of that quick review, yet I hope to see bit longer one when you have more time.

Next thing for me to do is see if I can update some of my old settings. This far R4, Frost and Mister Black have been through some updates recently, and next on the list are some others, such as Z/520.

OK, here's a slightly more in depth look at the CR-X type R
Like I said before the brake balance is near spot on, I wouldn't change but here's the car's flaws. Mid corner it has some pretty bad understeer, now like I said earlier you can flaw it and send the car into a slide to correct this on low speed corners but obviously this will only work sometimes and even more obviously for doing it you just lost a fair bit of speed that could have been better put to use. So you need to improve mid-corner drivability or you'll need to be sliding all day long. Hopefully as a side effect you can then improve high speed cornering a little too, I want to be able to take the final corner at GVS flat out with only 205hp but I can't, nearly though. The car's gearing is good though, maybe first is a little long as is second, but if that is stopping wheelspin I'm all for it, if not make them a little shorter I recommend, the overall final gearing is good. Turn in is exceptionally good, and once you get past mid corner and you're on the gas it's fine too, no having to wait until your pointing straight again to step on the accelerator here. Just improve drivability mid-corner and maybe at high speed just a smidgent and the car will be a real little ripper then, and also maybe consider what I said about first and second gear. 👍

Alright, I'll see what I can do about it. 👍 Thanks for the more in-depth review. Let me know if you have any requests in mind.

Alright, I'll see what I can do about it. 👍 Thanks for the more in-depth review. Let me know if you have any requests in mind.

You know what I want, a test of a certain mid-engined American Supercar that I made at Aussie Tuners recently, I just want you guys to see how good we can be, we don't get much in a way of respect at times......:guilty: Don't worry though, once you test the CIEN I won't stop testing your cars, or RRV's cars, I love cars, so the more the merrier. I stopped selling cars now after using them. There was once a time I would sell anything I didn't like (before I came here) only to regret it later.

Fair enough. If I recall right, I do have a certain mid-engined car in my garage already, all I need to get is money. and just a heads up: my new setup for the Z/28 is just divine..:dopey: so much grip, yet so easy to slide when you get it going..

Fair enough. If I recall right, I do have a certain mid-engined car in my garage already, all I need to get is money. and just a heads up: my new setup for the Z/28 is just divine..:dopey: so much grip, yet so easy to slide when you get it going..

I take it that's for the Classics Challenge, I'll give you a run with my C3 'vette I'm betting, similar to what you just described and no wait, mine's going to be in the race car category. I'm still deciding what to use for that category, I'm going to wait and see what that category is first. I might wanna use a Chevelle but wheelspin is chronic on that car so I may have to reconsider. Anyway, I look forward to your review 👍 I wish sometimes we weren't all in different countries so we could all get together one day and have a BBQ or something. Oh well such is life.

*gasps in realisation* I'm a GT player, nah you already got someone, I was just kidding. Looks like I was right, it was a CR-X, now I've got to drive it, it just looks sporty for such an old hatch. I've a question though, is the Clio the same as in Tuner Challenge? If it is then I've already got it and you know I like it.👍

Well, actually, I don't have on in mind yet. But I'm gonna take a guess from all your Holden stuff that you live in Australia. Australia and Florida are just a little too far away for this kind of thing...

Well, actually, I don't have on in mind yet. But I'm gonna take a guess from all your Holden stuff that you live in Australia. Australia and Florida are just a little too far away for this kind of thing...

I'm honest though, we could do lap times if you want.......I'll take the CR-X.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back