Mad FinnTuners Co.™ - Finished 301010 with GT-Rdammerung - BIG THANKS everyone!

• Thread starter Greycap
  • 3,787 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm, I don't know how busy I'm about to get what with TCV3 and all, but I will try and give this old bludger a review. (It can't beat an Alfa 8C I bet, hoping it's in GT5 :drool: )

Is this the same Alfa that you entered in TCV2? If so, I'm quite suprised that it got such an impressive laptime. Maybe it just felt slow when I tested it because I did so directly after testing a Lotus Elan. That matches a 300hp Spoon S2000, if my memory is correct. Either way, that's impressive, indeed.

It's the very same car, the only thing that has been changed is the name - in the VTC it was under the normal name to avoid confusion, now it has the "MFT name". The lap time is also very real, I know you drove a quite a bit slower one but for that there's only one explanation. :P

good to see a tune for one of the older alfas (i only use MFT tunes)

I've got a week off course so ill write up a review for you guys sometime this week and compare it to a standard car to see how you have changed it

NisMo FAIRLADY S-Tune'68

249 bhp, 285 Nm, 846 kg

Clickable for full size

Parts to fit:
Racing Exhaust
Racing Brakes
Brake Balance Controller
Turbo Kit Stage 2
Port Polishing
Engine Balancing
Racing Chip
FC Transmission
Triple-plate Clutch
Racing Flywheel
FC LSD
Carbon Driveshaft
FC Suspension
S3 Tyres
Weight Reduction Stage 3
Rigidity Increase (rollcage)
Rigidity Refresh
Oil Change
New Wheels (black Nismo 5-spoke)

Suspension
Spring Rate: 6.0 / 8.0
Ride Height: 110 / 130
Bound: 6 / 4
Rebound: 8 / 8
Camber: 2.5 / 1.5
Toe: -2 / -1
Stabilizers: 2 / 2

Brake Controller
Brakes: 7 / 5

Transmission

Note: First, reset the gearbox to the default settings, then set the Auto setting, and only then set the gear ratios.

Gear Ratios
1st: 2.623
2nd: 1.844
3rd: 1.420
4th: 1.130
5th: 0.930
6th: 0.780
Final Gear: 4.000

Autoset 10

LSD
Initial: 30
Acceleration: 20
Deceleration: 5

Driving Aids
ASM Oversteer: 0
ASM Understeer: 0
TCS: 0

Weight Balance
Ballast Weight: 0

Back in the late 60's, Nissan realized that they needed a tuning arm that would take care of the factory works cars. The result was later called Nissan Motorsports, NisMo for short. In order to celebrate Nissan's success in JGTC, Nismo prepped a very limited edition of old Fairlady 2000's. It looked like the old roadster from '68, but if you take a closer look, you'll start noticing little pieces of evidence about one of the most sneaky sleepers ever. First off, the body panels and the chassis are made entirely out of either CF composite or similar exotic materials. The suspension, the engine and the drivetrain are straight from Nissan Silvia Spec R Aero, which equals a 2l 4-cylinder engine and a 6-speed manual and a LSD. The LSD, suspension and gearbox are fully adjustable racing items in order to achieve the best performance. For the safety of the driver and to increase the chassis rigidity, there's practically no seams or welds in the body, and an integrated rollcage keeps things solid should the worst happen. The disc brakes come from Brembo, and the brake balance can be adjusted from a lever in the cabin. There you go, here are the keys. The driving gloves, the scarf, the driving glasses and the helmet are on the passenger seat. Godspeed.

Good to see you brought the Alfa out in the garage Grey, that was a VERY rewarding drive, couldn't pick it between you and CLS's Elan in that category in VTC. :)

Warning to all though: Have fun at 1000 miles before you get to drive it. ;)

TheBigMan045 - Great to hear that it's getting tried out! The difference in the handling isn't so big, the original feel has been retained but the faults have been taken out.

mafia_boy - The Alfa being as good as the Elan, that's probably the best thing that can ever be said about it. :D

viperpilot - Just wait until you see the next pair...

It's interesting you say that Greycap as i felt it kinda lost its fun value with losing its mild oversteer, as it lost its "chuckability" where you feel as if you can push the car harder and harder. Case in point my fully tuned Elan with standard suspension, i kept it that way because it feels faster and its fun to drive. That said it was still a well done tune 👍

mafia_boy - The Alfa being as good as the Elan, that's probably the best thing that can ever be said about it. :D

Well it was worth wasting 12hrs of my time to get it after I did the mods. :lol: And in my opinion you should add your '73 Lancer from VTC aswell, people will understand how good it truly is like I did. :)

TheBigMan045 - I guess it's just a driving style difference, the stock model was too tail happy to be really pushed to the limits as it would get erratical in the hunt of the last tenths. The car can still oversteer happily but it takes a heavy foot out of corners in the second gear. Anyway, you reviewed a car, I owe you one. The posts #1 and #11 include what you need to know, PM me when you've made your decision. 👍

mafia_boy - The Lancer may make it some day, nothing is promised but it's possible. There's something rewarding in these old tincans, there's actually a chance of making them handle. :D

My review of my MFT Tuned Ginetta G4

Sorry its taken me a while to write this, been too busy driving the pants off it.

In February, I sent my Ginetta G4 to Greycap of MFT to be tuned.

Why a Ginetta, you ask? I had only recently discovered the car, and had quite frankly fallen in love with it. However, my attempts to tune it quite frankly failed dismally.

After some 'hands on' testing of another MFT product, I was very impressed, and quite frankly, had high hopes from the beginning. I asked for it to be tuned as a grip racer because quite frankly, I spend too much time hanging the arse out in cars I drive which can be, but is not always, beneficial to my cause. Good fun though.

But anyway, I digress. I received the car, and took it straight to the Ring. Big mistake. With a car that weighed less than some humans but had the power of a cavalry charge, I was in for a lesson I wouldn't easily forget.

The car shot off like a rocket. First gear was basically useless. Power shifting into second, the back end could squirm a little, but only under hard acceleration. The exhaust note is pure bliss as I shift to third, the resounding crackle reverberating off the walls. Down shift back into second, turn in. Boy does it turn! The little yellow British lightweight sticks like s**t to a blanket as I clip the apex perfectly...at which point I'm promptly hurtled into the outside wall with a bewildered look on my face. I start the car moving again, and as I reach speeds of 100 KM/H or above, the car really becomes rather unstable on the patchwork roads that make the Nurburgring. In my excitement, I had forgotten that the car only had 400 odd kilos under its belt....ahh.

I resumed testing at another, smoother track to get a feel of the Ginetta. And what a car it is! The under braked, overpowered vehicle that I had tuned had disappeared. In its place was the new king of my garage. With top gear whining loudly, the exhaust making the floor warm under my feet, the G4 is capable of speeds over 300 KM/H, yet is nimble as a housefly and accelerates remarkably well.

After becoming used to the car, I entered it in the 99 lap race in Monte Carlo, at the Côte d'Azur. I was limited to S3 tyres in this race. I spent the first few laps familiarizing myself with the track, the let the Ginetta have it. With a beautiful induction roar and screeching of the tyres, it was off.

As I started knocking my laps times down and down, I took a step back and looked at my driving style. I was going through far too many sets of rear hoops, with, on average, one set of fronts outlasting two rears. On a smooth surface, the Ginetta had really come into its own and I had been having great fun driving it. With the lower grip tyres on it, the G4 made a perfectly capable track car, and was also the most predictable car I have ever driven when taken past the limit. Drifting, and linking two or 3 corners was laughably easy, and as such I was putting on a smoke show for the crowd.

However my lap times were beginning to suffer. So I bunkered down, and concentrated on improving the regulation of my right foot. Believe it or not, it worked. I was making tyres last longer, and my lap times had improved remarkably by race end.

And my thoughts turned back to the Nurburgring. With an evil cackle, I entered a 25 lap race. Let me tell you, it was interesting. Within the first 5 laps, which were taken very cautiously, I learned the vices of the car on a rough track. Rumble strips, although posing a danger, could be easily overcome by anticipating the movements of the car.

One problem I did encounter though, was the extreme instability of the G4 on the straight at high speeds. As long as one left the steering wheel up to its own devices, the car is controllable. However, when steering input was required at high speed, the car would enter an uncontrollable fishtail. I countered this by using the brakes to put more pressure on the tyres during even the slightest of steering movements.

This is a problem that I feel could be easily countered with a wing, an option not available for the G4. However, it is a problem I have only encountered on the Nurburgring (as yet untested on Circuit de la Sarthe), and is avoidable with adaptable driving techniques, and as such, is not a trait I am concerned with.

But overall, I have nothing but praise for this car. Nothing. The MFT tuned Ginetta is a wonderful piece of machinery. Its really a shame GT4 is the closest I will ever get to it, because I can think of a few roads near my house that would be incredibly fun.....

👍👍👍👍👍

sticks like s**t to a blanket
The expression of the year, no doubt! :lol:

But, a great review all round! Unfortunately I can't promise you a new car though as the reviewed vehicle wasn't a public release but I'm sure we can get into a good understanding after a shorter one of a public tune if you're in need of a new ride. :D

The Ginetta is a tough car to tune as a pure speed machine just because of the light weight and high speed aerodynamical lift but it sounds I managed to make it good enough. In the end much of it comes down to the driver, as you noticed it takes some calmness to extract the best out of it. You might have been able even to use S1 tyres, the handling characteristics don't change that much when the grip fades but the sharpness is reduced which could actually be a good thing in such a go-kart.

Thats ok, I knew I wasn't eligible for a car by writing the review. Just wanted to let everyone know about the high state of quality tuning that exists within MFT. I got what I asked for, plus more!

I'm afraid the "everyone" aren't interested anymore... GT5P has come and taken the glory for the time being. For me too, I have to admit. However, I firmly believe its heyday will be over a good while before GT5 arrives and the time for GT4 will come once more.

Y'all sound like you're starting a help group for GTP members that can't let go of GT4.:lol:

I jest, I jest.....

Just like it says..."If you want to win, hire a Finn" Great work on the tuning, you guys have done some unbelievable work. I would however like to see three particular cars in your lineup...The Nissan 240SX 1996, The Toyota Corolla Levin BZ-R 1998 and The Mitsubishi Mirage Cyborg ZR 1997. They don't have to be particularly fast or anything like that, I just want to kno what the results would be in the hands of MFT. Keep up the good work.

You're supposed to review a car before requesting one, then they would be more than happy to tune you one. But, if you want a good hot hatch (it seems you do), you should try Grey's Renault Clio or Leo's Starlet Glanza V. That second one escpecially seems like one in which you'd be interested. The only Silvia that I can remember here is their 450hp S15, and that was here almost from the very beginning, so you'd probably want to use your request on that 240SX. That said, there are two entirely distinct 1996 240SXs in the game, so you'll need to specify whether you want the S14 or the hatchback.

The only Silvia that I can remember here is their 450hp S15, and that was here almost from the very beginning, so you'd probably want to use your request on that 240SX. That said, there are two entirely distinct 1996 240SXs in the game, so you'll need to specify whether you want the S14 or the hatchback.

They have a 240RS as well. I thought of driving it but haven't got around to it yet. It's just sitting in my garage.

Count me in too, Grey, I'm totally out of cash...
The nearest I will get to GT5P is at my friend's house, but with my tight time schedule, important exams next week and my girl wanting to see me every day, it's not going to work anyway.

Anyway, how's life here at MFT? Haven't been around here for a long time, maybe even too long.;)
Oh and btw, I took a look at your ever growing amount of tunes in the main page and it seemed to me that all the really (unexpectedly) interesting cars to tune have been done... Maybe GT4 really did come to an end?

Skruffie - Come to think of it, I've considered all of those three in some phase of our garage. Everything is possible.

Vince247 - I don't believe GT4 is at an end yet, to be honest the only thing that has even a faint chance of keeping GT5P alive until GT5 is the online racing and even it isn't that good. The car selection in it isn't spectacular by any means excluding the few tuner models and the tuning part of it is, realistically speaking, hopeless. I'll complete my GT5P, buy the cars I want and then play it every now and then. In a way I liked GT4P a lot more, it was so different from the full games.

We definitely still have interesting cars coming, and some of the not so interesting too. There is one series still to be completed and I'll take care if it, that series ending on the very day MFT leaves GT4 tuning. The time to make the transition will come but not yet. Not before GT5 is at full swing, by then we've done everything there is to do so there's nothing to be regretted and we can move on taking only memories with us.

The next cars... the painting department has been working around the clock to produce two vehicles that will finally show the world what the capital M in our name really means. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back