2008 24 Hours of Le Mans

• Thread starter The359
  • 487 comments
Celebrating this years 40th anniversary of Gulf winning Lemans in 1968, Here's a tribute to their history at the Sarthe

M1.jpg

lemans-1968-gen-tm-0101.jpg

69lm06t%20Ickx-Oliver%20Ford%20GT40.jpg

917-JWA-LeMans.jpg

rodriguez_oliver_porsche_917_jw_e_2.jpg

LM73-nr8A.jpg

rw-lm74.jpg

gulf_mirage.jpg

img03.jpg

382.jpg

audi4gulf.jpg

00_Pre_PBR.jpg

12307.jpg

Here's what I think from last year's race. Peugeot led early until the Dunlop Chicane. I think they haven't really been much of a factor since. Two Audis out of the race would have beant that Peugeot could have had a chance to take it to Audi. But what car won? An Audi R10 TDI. I think Peugeot COULD win since this will likely be the Audi R10's swan song. Something tells me that Audi will win again and further cement the sportscar racing prowess of Audi. Would I want Peugoet (a former Le Mans-winning marque) to win this race? Oh hell yeah. Just that something tells me to expect another dominating Audi drive.

I think you people need a little entertainment. So how about some FACT OR FICTION? Remember...

FACT = likely to happen or at least possible.
FICTON = too good to be true or unlikely to happen.

So let's do this! Please let me know if any strange developments happen.

The 2008 24 Hours of Le Mans - FACT OR FICTION?

1.) Among LMP1 contenders, at least two Pescarolos will finish regardless of final classification.

2.) The highest-finishing Audi R10 TDi will be that of the Cabello/McNish/Kristensen Audi.

3.) The Porsche RS Spyder of Neilsen/Elgaard/Masssen will win LMP2 honors.

4.) Japanese power! Two Japanese entries are in LMP1- the Courage Mugen of Terada/Takahashi/Katohi and the Courage Oreca-YGK Suzuki/Kageyama/Kurosawa. Granted both finish, the Suzuki/Kageyama/Kurosawa entry will finish ahead of the Terada/Takahashi/Katohi entry.

5.) Creation Autosportif's lone entry will not finish.

6.) There are four Corvette C6.R's in the field. Both Corvette Racing entries will finish.

7.) The highest-finishing Aston Martin DBR9 will be that of Menten/Fittipaldi/Borcheller (yes, an upset of the Aston Martin Racing entry!).

8.) If they don't win the race, then the Melo/Salo/Bruni Ferrari team (Risi Competizione) will be the highest-placed Ferrari.

9.) Of the Porsches in GT2, the highest-placed Porsche will be Flying Lizard (Bergmeister/van Overbeek/Neiman).

10.) There are seven Ferraris. Of these, at least five will finish.

11.) Both Spyker C8 GT2R's will finish.

12.) The Radical SR9-AER will finish in the Top 5 in LMP2.

13.) At least one of the Charouz Racing System entries will finish.

14.) The Epsilon Euskadi-Judd (which I thought was a fantasy car) will finish in the Top 10 overall.

15.) No more than three safety car periods will take place during the race.

Let me hear it! More Epsilon Euskadi pictures: < http://www.motorsport.com/photos/se...Hours_of_Le_Mans/Test_day_Friday&Y=2008&O=192 >.

1 8 Team Peugeot Total LMP1 WURZ A. 3:18.513 3:20.566 4:49.449 Run ~ 1st Overall/1st LMP1/1st Diesel
12396.jpg

6 10 Charouz Racing System LMP1 ENGE T. 3:34.211 3:25.158 6.645 14:50.268 Run ~ Fastest Petrol Powered Car
12362.jpg

14 34 Van Merksteijn Motorsport LMP2 VERSTAPPEN J. 3:34.078 3:32.301 13.788 3:44.252 Run ~ Fastest LMP2
12347.jpg

31 63 Corvette Racing LMGT1 MAGNUSSEN J. 3:49.406 3:47.668 29.155 4:24.250 Run ~ Fastest GT1
12301.jpg

44 76 Imsa Performance Matmut LMGT2 LONG P. 4:00.793 3:58.152 39.639 4:14.041 Run ~ Fastest GT2
12279.jpg

Final Qualifying Results

24Q.jpg

Here's what I think from last year's race. Peugeot led early until the Dunlop Chicane. I think they haven't really been much of a factor since. Two Audis out of the race would have beant that Peugeot could have had a chance to take it to Audi. But what car won? An Audi R10 TDI. I think Peugeot COULD win since this will likely be the Audi R10's swan song. Something tells me that Audi will win again and further cement the sportscar racing prowess of Audi. Would I want Peugoet (a former Le Mans-winning marque) to win this race? Oh hell yeah. Just that something tells me to expect another dominating Audi drive.

Dominating Audi? Not this year. Only hope they have is that the #2 Audi can stay within striking distance in case the Peugoets fail

1.) Among LMP1 contenders, at least two Pescarolos will finish regardless of final classification.

Fact

2.) The highest-finishing Audi R10 TDi will be that of the Cabello/McNish/Kristensen Audi.

Fact if they don't have any mechanical failures

Fiction

4.) Japanese power! Two Japanese entries are in LMP1- the Courage Mugen of Terada/Takahashi/Katohi and the Courage Oreca-YGK Suzuki/Kageyama/Kurosawa. Granted both finish, the Suzuki/Kageyama/Kurosawa entry will finish ahead of the Terada/Takahashi/Katohi entry.

The Japanese LMP1 Dome S102 sill smash them both, and I have no idea which one of the two will finish ahead of each other

Fact

6.) There are four Corvette C6.R's in the field. Both Corvette Racing entries will finish.

They will finish and finish 1-2

7.) The highest-finishing Aston Martin DBR9 will be that of Menten/Fittipaldi/Borcheller (yes, an upset of the Aston Martin Racing entry!).

False false false

8.) If they don't win the race, then the Melo/Salo/Bruni Ferrari team (Risi Competizione) will be the highest-placed Ferrari.

Fact

9.) Of the Porsches in GT2, the highest-placed Porsche will be Flying Lizard (Bergmeister/van Overbeek/Neiman).

False

False

False

Fact

Fact

14.) The Epsilon Euskadi-Judd (which I thought was a fantasy car) will finish in the Top 10 overall.

False

Fact

Wow that Charouz Racing Lola Aston Martin has done better than I expected! Maybe this will encourage Aston Martin to make a return to the higher end of Le Mans racing? Hopefully not ending up like the AMR-1. Although, a bit early for that kind of speculation, can't say how well the cars have done till after the 24 hours.

Wow that Charouz Racing Lola Aston Martin has done better than I expected! Maybe this will encourage Aston Martin to make a return to the higher end of Le Mans racing? Hopefully not ending up like the AMR-1. Although, a bit early for that kind of speculation, can't say how well the cars have done till after the 24 hours.

Radio Le Mans explained that the car is a little different to the other LMP1 cars because the engine is not a LMP race engine such as the JUDD but is from the DBR9 race car. Therefore ACO rules say that the engine can use less restrictive air restrictors and therefore makes more power.

I wonder If there will be a GT5P display at this race just like at the Nurburgring

Also, the RS Spyder has a subtle makeover at the front fancia in comparison to its ALMS counterpart

183420200822211781.JPG

189622008131035328.JPG

And finally, Some Captions:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

:D

Attachments

• Coffee.jpg
    Coffee.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 95
  • CITYO.jpg
    CITYO.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 93
  • IR.jpg
    IR.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 93
  • LM08.jpg
    LM08.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 94
Of course they are, they have been busting their butts off to get those cars ready for this event. Everything's perfect for Peugeot this year, after such hard work on those cars, they more than deserve this win. 2008 is their year 👍

much like 1992, 1993, 1998, and 1999 were toyotas years?

kjb
I hope Peugot wins but it would be nice if Dome or the petrol LMP1 would pull the upset.

That would be nice but there are too many diesels

Next year when the diesels get another performance restriction and The Lola Aston Martin and Dome S102 have more miles and development of the car and bring 2 cars each they will be a real threat for the podium and overall win I think

Anyways, this race will be far better then last year's race. Audi and Peugeot are now more equally matched, as Peugeot may have the speed but not the reliability, last year Audi had the reliability AND the speed.

Also newcomers Lola Aston Martin and the Dome S102 will be much quicker and a bigger challenge to the diesels then Pescarolo was last year

I don't expect anyone to have major problems this year and finish on the podium

*snip*
Is there a way to open it in VLC?
Look, don't use WMP cause it sucks!!!! 👎 Use these instead. One of the most reliable media player out there, and its FREE!!!!!
http://www.cccp-project.net/

1. Fact.
2. Fact. Has been proven they are the better team,but hopefully they don't crash out like last year. :ouch:
3. Fiction. Unless the Van Merksteijn Motorsport LMP2 retires.
4. Fiction. Either way, the Dome S102 is gonna be better than both of them! :P
5. Fact.
6. Fiction. Thats a big maybe.....
7. Fact. I would love to see that happen as well! :D
8. Fact. They are the best of the other Ferrari team.
9. Fiction.
10. Fact.
11. Fiction. They did retire last year, so its likely gonna be the same.
12. Fact.
13. Fact. Lets hope its the Lola Aston Martin.
14. Fact. They seem to have the package, but lets hope they have the reliability..... :nervous:
15. Fiction. There is likely going to be more at the rate that these crashes are happening.

:bowdown:
Man, I can't help but support the Charouz Racing Lola Aston Martin. They are the best petrol car in the class, and have surprised many teams, even the Pescarolo is struggling to match their pace. :D

My ownself would like to see on of the Epsilon Euskadi etries on the top tier of the podium.
Yeah, me too but it has to pass the Dome S102, the Pescarolos and the Lola if they want to be up there. ;)

Fact. The Pescys are usually pretty reliable.
Fiction! That car has had notorious bad luck this year, allthough Kristensen may change that.
3.) The Porsche RS Spyder of Neilsen/Elgaard/Massen will win LMP2 honors.
Fact. That driver lineup is very strong. Jos Verstappen may object heavily though.
Fiction. The Oreca car will run very well, and has shown some fine form in the LMS.
Fact. Nothing to add really. Creation seem destined to never do well at Le Mans.
Fact. The Corvette Racing outfit is extremely well prepared for Le Mans this year.
Fiction. An AMR car will win the category.
Fact! A no-brainer!
Hmmm, I say fiction to this one. The Felbermayr Porsche looks strong, and has done so all year.
Fact. Of all the entries for Le Mans, there will be the least breakdowns in the GT2 category.
Fiction. If there is two cars that break down in GT2, it will be the Spykers:(
Fiction. The Radical is simply not developed enough to be competitive. And looking at their record, they will probably DNF.
Fact. Just because I hope so!:)
Fiction. They don´t have the speed. I don´t even think they´ll make top 20.
Tough call. Depends on the weather. I´ll go for fact just because I hope there will be no more than that.

Question for those who saw coverage on speed tv last year, so they're likely going to have live coverage from 8:30 - 12 EST as the race starts, then pickup again at 9pm EST with more live coverage, but everything in the middle is skipped?

Yes. The last Le Mans aired wall-to-wall was in 2001 (the final Le Mans under Speedvision). Not sure about 2002 and such. It almost seems like the night section is neglected. I know it's just nighttime, but that's one of the beautiful things about sportscar racing- racing at night. Those lights light up the track beautifully whereas the flood lights fail to. I'm telling you... I have an almost surreal love of Le Mans. Almost as if I overdose each year watching Le Mans.

We may as well call today "Le Mans Eve." I still think this should be a motorsports holiday. You know, 24th weekend of the year only means Le Mans is ready for 24 hours of speed, skill, and endurance. I wish all competitors the very best life has to offer. I always say that everyone who even starts the engines on the race cars are winners because they came to one of the world's greatest tracks against some of the world's best drivers. No. This isn't any NASCAR hype in which "best drivers in the world" means just America. No. It's the best of racers from four or five continents competiting in four different classes. Change drivers, stay on point, you win. I think if you've never seen Le Mans before, you're in for one of the finest racing experiences at any time of the year. You may like whatever racing you like. But this is an experience unlike any other. Since 2001, I have never missed watching Le Mans on television. So this will personally be my eighth watching of the 24 Hours of Le Mans. The last time I taped Le Mans coverage was in 2005 with Tom Kristensen's historic 7th Le Mans win. I almost wanted to cry because I found a new hero in Tom Kristensen. Love Le Mans or loathe Le Mans, it's still one of the finest races out there and hasn't really lost its spark and charm even if most of today's races seem like Audi blowouts.

So I'm wishing the very best to all the competitors. You made it this far... now go show the world what you're made of. All of you! All four classes. All drivers. You're among our motorsports heroes. You have our full respect as racing fans and that we'd love nothing more than a great show at one of the world's greatest circuits in one of the world's greatest races. From John to all of you competing at Le Mans... good luck and may God bless all of you.

The way I see it, racing is ephemeral (I love that word). Everything is constantly changing; if you can't find a tenth of a second a lap, you haven't got anything. Normal acing drivers, on the other hand have to be the opposite: they have to be consistent in a world that never stand still for longer than a moment. Racing drivers have to suppress the instinct of self-preservation and challenge the very structure of what most people have: we're cautious when driving, we're sensible, which is the last word I'd use to describe a raing driver.

But Le Mans drivers are something more again. Unlike Formula One, IndyCar or NASCAR drivers, they're not in the all-encompassing pursuit of speed, but rather they're taking a deliberate care in keeping the cars a few revs shy of their limit, changing gears with a gentle precision and lapping within seconds of a pre-determined lap time. They have to suppress the racing driver instinct of going as quickly as possible, and that's what makes them special, because they also have to suppress the instincts of self-preservation that we ordinary people have. Sure, there's the occasional racing involved - like the fiish of the 1969 race - but it's nowhere near as frequent as in other classes of racing.

The way I see it, racing is ephemeral (I love that word). Everything is constantly changing; if you can't find a tenth of a second a lap, you haven't got anything. Normal acing drivers, on the other hand have to be the opposite: they have to be consistent in a world that never stand still for longer than a moment. Racing drivers have to suppress the instinct of self-preservation and challenge the very structure of what most people have: we're cautious when driving, we're sensible, which is the last word I'd use to describe a raing driver.

But Le Mans drivers are something more again. Unlike Formula One, IndyCar or NASCAR drivers, they're not in the all-encompassing pursuit of speed, but rather they're taking a deliberate care in keeping the cars a few revs shy of their limit, changing gears with a gentle precision and lapping within seconds of a pre-determined lap time. They have to suppress the racing driver instinct of going as quickly as possible, and that's what makes them special, because they also have to suppress the instincts of self-preservation that we ordinary people have. Sure, there's the occasional racing involved - like the fiish of the 1969 race - but it's nowhere near as frequent as in other classes of racing.

You need to see the 1988 Le Mans to see what Le Mans is all about for me. The battle never ends.

I might be able to check out a good amount of Le Mans. A high chance of scattered showers and thunderstorms expected around my way for mostly the morning and afternoon here in Houston. I always say that Speed's coverage of Le Mans before switching off to NASCAR... if it rains, take me right back to Le Mans. I don't care for a 5+ caution race at wherever they may race because all I care about this weekend is Le Mans. Speed has to learn to put races on other networks and not spoil the experience for those who came to see a race like Le Mans.

Having said this, I'm looking forward to seeing Le Mans this weekend. Should be a great race at it usually is.

I really didn't expect a Corvette to take pole. They improved pretty well, 4 seconds faster than last years pole time. Of course last year it rained on the last day. The Saleen is also there in 2nd. I think it was fast last year too, but it proved unreliable.

Hey, does anyone know if Eurosport is going to have coverage for the race? I heard it on TV during a commercial that they were going to broadcast the race (but not very sure for how long) and its the only chance of me watching it on TV....... :(

From my FACT OR FICTION statements, #8 was about if Ferraris in GT2 can win the race. I obviously mean that they can win GT2. So here's the FACT OR FICTION just for fun:

The 2008 24 Hours of Le Mans - FACT OR FICTION? --- updated ---

8.) If they don't win GT2 honors, then the Melo/Salo/Bruni Ferrari team (Risi Competizione) will be the highest-placed Ferrari.

Good luck to all competitors. Feel free to continue speculating as we're only hours away from the big race! I need to take my ass to bed and be at least somewhat refreshed and ready to see this race.

yes eurosports is providing full coverage but only for europe :( that means i can only listen on radio le mans...
Well thats sounds convincing enough for me to watch the start of the race later tonight. Thanks for the info! :D:tup:

Back