Mad FinnTuners Co.™ - Finished 301010 with GT-Rdammerung - BIG THANKS everyone!

• Thread starter Greycap
  • 3,787 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
can't be helped. musclecars need the wing, otherwise they're not good on track at all..:indiff:

I gotta disagree with ya there.

I built your Chevelle and am in the process of testing. I don't have alot of test time during the week but I should have a review by wednesday.

What track(s) was it tuned at?

GVS as usual, since it gives one a good amount of different corners. And believe me, it's not the handling that's the issue, but the ridiculous amount of torque and how it's delivered.

And yes, as soon as I wake up, make the very final check of the setups, you'll get the Cobra and Spec C settings.

please do. All reviews are welcome, and reward will be a custom setup for the car you want.

Chevelle Reveiw
Ok I have built myself a Swiss Masterpiece and take it to Tokyo.I floor it and take it around the last corner.540Degree spin:crazy:.I thought it whould grip better to the road but oh well.Overall it is a good car,I will never see B-spec tool drive it though.

8/10

- Swiss masterpiece review -

So. After purchasing the car for myself and doing the necesary modifications, i head to seattle. The perfect testing ground for the musclecar, 90 degree corners linked by straights. Straight off the line i was astonished by the power, the low down torque is amazing, and i found myself hurtling towards the first corner, i brace myself for the inevitable crash that would result, as i turn in, instead of hurtling into the barrier, the car glided around the corner quite well, and with the back end eager to break free. You had better be awake.

As i exited the first corner i looked down to check that i wasnt driving with wings and a harp. I wasnt. A powerful musclecar that could actually go around corners without sending somebody to heaven (or hell.) was something of an oddity to me, after dismissing the thought of it being a fluke, i finished my lap, this should not be driven by amateurs, and giving it too much of the right foot on the corners will result in you facing the other way, overall. I was impressed, i wont be trading in my RX7 for one any time soon though ;)

Final semation: Be prepared to question youre driving skill. Not for n00bs.

Thanks to both of you for testing the Swiss Masterpiece! As you both noticed, it indeed isn't easy to drive thanks to the weight and immense amount of torque. But you both survived and may request a tuneup for a car, should you be in need of one.👍

Could be the Quattro (on which I've succeeded), the Buick GNX (on which I've failed) the Yellowbird (on which I expect at least partial success), the Shelby Cobra (to be released in the near vicinity), the Cizeta (not impossible)... of the rest none are THAT bad. Seeing that we managed to make the RUF CTR2 drivable I think we can do this too.

:D

Are you chaps scrying my mind since I joined up with MKT? I just ask because every car that I've been working on, you chaps seem to then release or announce you're about to release :lol:.

I've been taking the approach of trying to dial in some of the cars with the worst handling reputations in the game and make them useable (usually whilst trying to avoid R tyres, Wings and Stage 3 Weight Reductions). I thought it was a niche that hadn't been tackled with any great fanfare before so it would be a nice way to round out the GT4 years.

Clearly, I wasn't the only one to reach that conclusion :).

The same thing was asked in a very offensive way a good while back by a rival tuner garage member I'm not naming here, and the answer is still no. But what can you expect when we have about half of the cars in the game under construction! :D

Oddly enough some cars do handle better without the things you mentioned. R class tyres sometimes lead to overly twitchy behaviour, wings can ruin high speed stability completely and more often than not full weight reduction affects the balance of the car in a negative way. See our modern Type R Hondas (well, mine is named Mugen) and you'll see that they only have Stage 1 weight reductions for that very reason.

I don't know which one of those cars you actually meant but one thing is certain, I'll never touch that Buick again unless I'm forced to. The old Quattro is nimbler and that says a lot. The Cobra will certainly be released, the details on its tune and even the release date were set as early as on June 16th.

:lol:

A very fair point about the sheer output of Mad Finns 👍.

As to the cars where we've coincided ... well, everything you mentioned except the GNX plus the SLR McLaren, the De Lorean, the Lotus, the ... ROFL.

It seems I picked the wrong time to start working on cars that have seldom been given a serious 'treatment' before (in public at least).

Ah well - I shall have to hope that other glories fill my life that acclaim as a virtual tuner with a unique vision :D.

Swiss Masterpiece Review

I took this car to GVS, plus alot of other places to test it out. It was either hit or miss with this car, some tracks it did pretty good, (GVS, Trial Mountain) some tracks it wasn't so good. (Midfield, Deep Forest)

Great power and acceleration, although traction was an issue even with R3's.. Brakes behaved weird for me, they were either great, or it took forever to slow down. Handling wise, pretty good in most corners. mild understeer in others.

Good car. 7.5/10

With the Chevrolet Corvette Z06 (C5) 2000, couldn't you change the stabilizers to 4 / 5 instead of 2 / 5 for better handling?

Adamgp

well, I assume that the not very constant braking is due different track surfaces. Hard to tune the car for that since GT4 doesn't have instant adjustment during drive like GT5P. :dopey:

gdmatt

Stiffer stabilizer in the front causes understeer in most cases, and this far, I haven't received any complaints about the C740R's handling in the corner. Soft it may be, but then again, it's still based on roadcar.

I have no complaints with the handling, I was just curious. I will tests it out later and let you know what happens.

Also, the comparatively stiffer rear stabilizer makes up for the softer rear spring rates on corner entry without preventing rear squat on exit as stiffer rear springs would do.

Stiffening the front stabilizer would require stiffening the rear springs quite a bit to get the entry balance right (noticeably stiffer rear) but that would screw exit up most likely.

Then again... That's not always best on every car... Some like the rear softer, some like it fairly equal... It's all down to what the vehicle wants. Knowing Leo's general good-to-excellent tuning, he's most likely got it to where anything short of an entirely different approach would hurt it.

Also, the comparatively stiffer rear stabilizer makes up for the softer rear spring rates on corner entry without preventing rear squat on exit as stiffer rear springs would do.

Stiffening the front stabilizer would require stiffening the rear springs quite a bit to get the entry balance right (noticeably stiffer rear) but that would screw exit up most likely.

Then again... That's not always best on every car... Some like the rear softer, some like it fairly equal... It's all down to what the vehicle wants. Knowing Leo's general good-to-excellent tuning, he's most likely got it to where anything short of an entirely different approach would hurt it.

^^ Thats true...

Just wondering, but are the Mad FinnTuners going to tune Race Cars as well, or only Road Cars?

Indeed, RJ did hit the nail in the head. Out of us two, I'm the one who makes the ridiculously safe settings with tons of grip and controllability that are easy to drive on nearly any track, whereas Greycap makes the insane axe-murderers..

gdmatt

we probably won't do racecars.. rallycars and tunercars are the limit for us. In race cars, a lot of work is already done, since the chassis is stiff, aerodynamics provide ton of grip and there's no flaws left for us to fix.

I find that there is usually PLENTY left to do with most race cars. ;)

It's just that it's harder to make improvements due to the sticky rubber and high level of downforce.

Making a race car quicker or at minimum more controllable is not horridly hard due to the incredibly CRAP stock setups, however.

It depends on the car. And the driver. Some time ago I tried to tune the Toyota GT-One and the results were surprising to say the least. It became faster, but only by less than two seconds which may even be due to my familiarisation with the car during the driving. The handling improved, yes, but the actual pace remained very much the same. This same thing was also seen on the Evo IV rally car I've made.

The conclusion, tuning race cars is more of adapting them to one's driving style than making them noticably faster (considering that one can drive the default setup to the limit). And as everyone has a different style there's not much point in tuning them without a specific goal, for example making a stable endurance racer.

I'd have to disagree a little, Grey.

When the car is easier to drive and on par to slightly faster through corners, it is an improvement!

Because using your exact reasoning... It's pointless to tune *insert road car that handles well with default settings here*, because there isn't much improvement. Improvement is improvement is improvement. I could understand not releasing something because it is still utter dog crap after tuning, but the car being "too good" as a base doesn't really work with me. If it gets better, it is better.

Also, I see a flaw in your logic. Tuning any car is only going to result in so much of an improvement in course time over default settings. So therefore, why do it? :X

But wait... We're all here because we are better at tuning than the general public. So obviously, we tune cars for the public to use. If it fits their style, good, if it doesn't, it doesn't. I'm just a bit perplexed as to why tuning race cars to be even just a LITTLE nicer is seen as pointless due to driving style, as driving style affects how anybody drives any car.

I realize I might sound like I'm trying to be degrading; I'm not. Just curious now.

I understand your point, improvement indeed is improvement.

But the problem with race cars is that what is improvement for me might not be it for you as your driving style may work better with the default settings. Road cars can shed even ten seconds and more (the Quattro is a great example) off a lap time with proper settings as the defaults are often quite far from optimal, there's no doubt a case like that means improvement for anyone but on the race cars it's very much a preference thing. They're set up to be fast right out of the box, the biggest difference is made by adapting the car to the driver.

Having said that, it naturally depends on the style of the car too. DTM and JGTC cars can generally be improved much more than LMP's, no idea why but they can. Maybe it's the fact that they are still slow enough to be "driven" instead of hanging on for one's dear life but fast enough to require a proper setup.

Well, personally I feel that racecar setups should be dedicated to one track only, where as we specialize on "jack of all trades"-settings for roadcars that will be driven on large variety of tracks. in racecars, reaching this kind of setup will be harder since their limits are either ridiculously high ( FGT ) or impossibly low ( Amuse Carbon R ). But, should there be interest for race cars, we will publish few of them if demand is high enough. 💡

edit: let me point out one thing, Grey.. JGTC and DTM cars are based on roadcars, whereas LMP's have barely anything else from production lines than highly modified engine and badges. That might be the difference. ;)

Always forgetting the poor little (actually big) V8 Supercar. Blows the doors off your DTM and JGTC cars (in the game). I think if you do a race car, it should be to make it perform somewhere it normally can't, like taking a JGTC car up against GT1 cars, but the AI is so slow you can probably beat them with standard settings, and LMP cars are out of reach, so what do you do? Using a standard DTM car against other DTM cars is still a whitewash, but maybe, just maybe, modifying cars like the old-school Merc DTM car (The Evo II) to take on GT1 cars is a challenge someone could rise to.

Actually a stock GT500 class car can embarrass the LMP's and Group C's on a suitable track (read Nürburgring) and a skilled driver behind the wheel. Driven like mad they can clock laps close to 6'00 on R3 tyres and that's fast enough to beat the lumbering AI.

Plymouth 'Cuda 440 Six Pack '71

740 bhp, 1135 Nm, 1308 kg

Clickable for full size

Parts to fit:
Racing Exhaust
Racing Brakes
Brake Balance Controller
NA Tuning Stage 3
Port Polishing
Engine Balancing
Racing Chip
FC Transmission
Triple-plate Clutch
Racing Flywheel
FC LSD
Carbon Driveshaft
FC Suspension
R3 Tyres
Weight Reduction Stage 3
Oil Change
Rear Wing
New Wheels (optional)

Suspension
Spring Rate: 9.0 / 10.0
Ride Height: 160 / 170
Bound: 3 / 4
Rebound: 6 / 8
Camber: 2.0 / 1.5
Toe: -1 / 0
Stabilizers: 3 / 5

Brake Controller
Brakes: 4 / 7

Transmission

Note: First, reset the gearbox to the default settings, then set the Auto setting, and only then set the gear ratios.

Gear Ratios
1st: 2.663
2nd: 1.894
3rd: 1.486
4th: 1.225
5th: 1.040
6th: 0.888
Final Gear: 2.750

Autoset 10

LSD
Initial: 10
Acceleration: 27
Deceleration: 5

Downforce
Amount: 30 / 30

Driving Aids
ASM Oversteer: 0
ASM Understeer: 0
TCS: 0

Heard the big guys talking much good about the famous 'Cuda? They're entirely right. This less known cousin of the Dodge Challenger was not only the car that began the ponycar era (which alone gives it immortality) but also one of the fastest models of its generation. Boasting the huge 440-6 engine with truck-like grunt it looked good, sounded good, was good. Very good.

This car has always been a lot more personal for me than the other old Yankees in the game, being the model that got me interested in the good old American steel. Now it's come the time to give it the treatment it deserves. The engine is just unbelievably good after a full race modification, how many cars are there that routinely exit hairpins in the third gear and still top out beyond 300 km/h? Well, not many. Lots of work also went into the suspension and it really pays off, this hefty chunk of metal scraps the myth that muscle cars don't handle. Having said that, it needs you to be the master and not the other way round. The drivetrain does a marvellous job transferring the immense amounts of torque onto the road, the Dana differential certainly lives up to the legend. The exterior being finished with colour matching wheels and a wing we can call it a day. The old pioneer has returned, better than ever. Enjoy.

Then one more note about it. It's not a coincidence that it's finished entirely in our national colours blue and white, it has the honour of being our car #100 and it does it brilliantly.

Reviews:

by Codename L
by Finnish Bomber
by Tuuba-A

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back