RVV Motor Works - White Knight - 10/02/10

Keen observation, that thing is fantastic while idling!

I'd like, however, to take this moment to express my disappointment that noone's commented on the smiley at the end of my review. I was hoping that would be about 7 times as much fun as it was.

And we've got another fantastic idler coming up soon! :D

Sorry about that, I don't really watch them as much as I should. :P

Edit:

Here's the improved gearing for the Red Devil Z RJ made:

Reset to default. Autoset to 13, then set ratios and final.
Ratios of: [2.950/2.017/1.526/1.219/1.000/0.800]
Final of 2.730

Purple-Z-Banner.jpg

Parts List
Racing Exhaust
Racing Brakes
Brake Balance Controller
Racing Chip
NA Tuning Stage 3
Port Polish
Engine Balancing
Triple-plate Clutch
Racing Flywheel
Carbon Driveshaft
Stage 3 Weight Reduction
S3 Tires
FC Suspension
FC Transmission
FC LSD

The Setup

SUSPENSION:
--------------------------------------------------------------
Spring Rate:-------7.5/7.0
Ride Height:-------125/125
Shock Bound:-------4/3
Shock Rebound:-----2/5
Camber:------------2.5/1.8
Toe:---------------0/0
Stabilizers:-------2/2
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Transmission:
Final to 5.500. Autoset to 9, then set ratios and final.
Ratios of: [2.660/1.780/1.300/1.000/0.790/0.680]
Final of 3.730.

LSD/Downforce and others:
-------------------------------------------------------------------
LSD: 7/35/5

Brake Balance: 5/7

Ballast Weight: 0kg

Ballast Balance: 0 (neutral)

Downforce: None

Aids: None at all
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Notes: This is not a car. It lives, it breathes. It's almost human. You will not be bored, you will not be scared.

The car will meet you half way; hold up your end and it will be your best friend, be a tool and it will not forgive you. It does what is asked, and promptly, but if asked to do something stupid, it will do something stupid. And yet... It's not a car that has no soul, like a GT-R or something of the like... Driving this car, it feels like it WANTS to do what you ask of it, and it just begs you to push harder.

I may restart playing GT4 this weekend, when I'll finally have time again. Right now, I'm going to summerschool in the morning, working for the rest of the day, and getting home with just enough time to shower, eat dinner, come here for a little while, and go to bed.

I do imagine that that new (old?) Z (Which definitely is not purple) drives very well, as I found it to be remarkable even in stock form as a drifter. I had around 200hp on N tyres, with a 1-way LSD thrown in for good measure (It needed it dearly). The drifts felt somehow half-hearted, but they were definitely much better than I could manage in the majority of good driftcars that everyone loves so much. I'm becoming very fascinated in the Nissan Z series, that Z32 looks very interesting to me...

Purple Devil Z

This car is cursed to be compared with the Red Devil Z, an unfortunate fate for any car falling short of perfection. The Red Devil Z, let's remind ourselves, was lauded for its limitless controllablity, pace, and confoundingly accesible driftability. Its purple stablemate, however, goes about its business in a rather different way...

It originally began as a Midnight Blue Nissan 240Z, in the manga Wangan Midnight. It was the fastest car on the high-speed Wangan, thanks to its huge power in lightweight body, but had a most bothersome habit of killing its various owners, then mysteriously coming back to life again (car, not drivers). Akio Asakura, the driver of the Devil Z for the duration of the manga, finds himself posessed by its instinctive thrill of escaping death over and over again, but the Devil Z would betray him if he drove with any less than complete concentration and respect. It was an incredible car, that required an equally incredible driver.

The Purple Devil Z, though it has only half the power of its blue ancestor, has a soulmate in the genuine Devil Z. Driving it through Trial Mountain, it exudes the same aura of terror as a Formula Gran Turismo. Everything is happening so much more quickly than expected, just the slightest mistake can and will frisbee the whole affair into the nearest guardrail. This anxiousness breeds focus, and begins to train the driver to operate such a scary machine.

The Power/Weight ratio of approximately 333hp/tonne means that acceleration is in no short supply, but the 1971 engineering of the car is betrayed by the ever-present threat of wheelspin. Here, the sense that the car is pushing the very limits of possiblity is most present. But the car does still train the driver, and the wheelspin magically vanishes after a moment or two as it subliminally imparts fine throttle control into its pilot.

So, it'll be doing approximately Mach 6 when it reaches a corner, which leads to the only unambiguous shortcoming: the brakes. They are *just a hair* too weak for the car's motion, and any distraction will ultimately result in an entirely missed apex for the subsequent turn. Stability under braking is generally perfect, though extremely strenuous braking situations should still be approached with relative caution.

The cornering itself is nearly the polar opposite of the Red Devil Z's; The suspension feels at the limit of stiffness, and being able to choose between grip and drift is a luxury which usually can't be afforded. It reveals a controllable chassis behaviour as it enters the bend with lift-understeer, then, as the driver progressively threads in the throttle (or dies), the aft edges out just slightly, in an angle classifiable as neither grip nor drift, it exits the corner with a light wiggle of the tail. Drift, too, is also entirely possible, but it is a treacherous venture, not for the weak of heart. Inversely, grip is possible as well, but is a rare, difficult thing to achieve. Rotary Junkie mentioned that the car will "meet you halfway," and his insight was impressive. The car can be incredible, but only when driven equally incredibly.

Where the 280ZX is a soft, forgiving car that lets you choose freely between drift and grip, the 240ZG is a hard, urgent, unforgiving brute that lets you choose neither grip nor drift. Unified only by their base cars' similarities and their unique transmission ideologies, the two cars are completely brilliant in two completely different ways. Yes, only the 240ZG is a true Devil Z, being incredible yet willing to betray, but it's best not to think of them as Devils. Just think of them as lovely tuned Zs, of different flavours and different intensities.

The relationship a driver builds with the Red Devil Z is one of caring and reassurance, the car being comforting, urging you to push harder, faster, and being kind when you exceed the limit. The relationship between the Purple Devil Z and its driver is one of mutual respect. The driver knows that the car is nothing to be trifled with, and the car respects the driver enough to saddle him or her with huge responsibility and duty.

Both Devils are incredible tunes, and incredible cars, and both earn the identical 98.5/100 rating. The question is, what do you want of a Devil Z: Effortless Obedience, or Limitless Challenge?

:eek:

Mazda 787B Enduro tune:
The Mazda 787B is a great car.But like all cars it can be improved.The RVV 787B is one of the best cars ive driven in a while.It turns like its on rails.Also it feels like a f1 on r5s.

9.9/10

Purple Devil Z

*a hell of a review*

Both Devils are incredible tunes, and incredible cars, and both earn the identical 98.5/100 rating. The question is, what do you want of a Devil Z: Effortless Obedience, or Limitless Challenge?

:eek:

Thank you for the MASSIVE review. It makes me feel good when people like my tunes, but that doesn't mean I mind a bad review; it'll make me go back to it and work on it some more.

Mazda 787B Enduro tune:
The Mazda 787B is a great car.But like all cars it can be improved.The RVV 787B is one of the best cars ive driven in a while.It turns like its on rails.Also it feels like a f1 on r5s.

9.9/10

It's also been known to pass AI driven Minoltas thanks to a combination of a better corner exit and the rear dropping on acceleration. Thanks for the review. I'll post the GTO later today after a bit more fine tuning... Anything else you'd like?

RJ's Sileighty Review

At first, I loved the thing. Perfect turn-in, no under- or over-steer, and a bit of extra oomph down the straights thanks to the drivetrain improvements. As I'm putting it through its paces, though, I realize something: This doesn't feel like racing; it's merely driving. While it's a very good car, it fails to bring out that excitement, that...rush, from driving a car of its caliber. Almost like it's ... TOO perfect. Although it's really the only gripe I have, it still kind of kills the experience for me.

Score: 82/100

Don't worry killer, just remind us when you found just the car. :)

@ EA11R: It might be a good idea to give a link in the main post of this thread to your reviews. Let's say we banner it with: "This is how we like our reviews, get inspired" ;)

Thought the last line in my sig would give many hints.The car id like tuned is...*drum roll please*...A MAZDA 6!My Mom has one so i thought it would be a good choice.Oh can It be red?The Mazda 6 we have is red :)

Thank you for the MASSIVE review. It makes me feel good when people like my tunes, but that doesn't mean I mind a bad review; it'll make me go back to it and work on it some more.

It takes an exciting tune (good or bad) to put me on a huge rant like that. Got anything crappy you'd like me to test? :rolleyes:

Actually, I've tested that Sileighty a long while ago, and, while it is a practical car to build and race, it is just a bit... mundane. It neither really excelled nor failed at anything particularly. I'd give it more of a 78ish/100. Perhaps if you could give it more balanced, more oversteering handling, it could be much more inspiring and fun to use? The rear tyres won't get worn out earlier anyway, because we're all still smart drivers, and we'll know not to fuss about with drifting during races. But, it's cool to know that we can have fun with the car, and that's not really something possible in this one.

It's now my bedtime, but that was about all I had to say there. Ty was pretty correct about your SilEighty. Peace.

@ EA11R: It might be a good idea to give a link in the main post of this thread to your reviews. Let's say we banner it with: "This is how we like our reviews, get inspired" ;)

Aww, thanks!

Thought the last line in my sig would give many hints.The car id like tuned is...*drum roll please*...A MAZDA 6!My Mom has one so i thought it would be a good choice.Oh can It be red?The Mazda 6 we have is red :)

My mom's got a white Mazda 6. Nice cars. Sorry the GTO didn't make it out like it was supposed to yesterday, but it keeps beating me over the head with the understeer stick.

It takes an exciting tune (good or bad) to put me on a huge rant like that. Got anything crappy you'd like me to test? :rolleyes:

Actually, I've tested that Sileighty a long while ago, and, while it is a practical car to build and race, it is just a bit... mundane. It neither really excelled nor failed at anything particularly. I'd give it more of a 78ish/100. Perhaps if you could give it more balanced, more oversteering handling, it could be much more inspiring and fun to use? The rear tyres won't get worn out earlier anyway, because we're all still smart drivers, and we'll know not to fuss about with drifting during races. But, it's cool to know that we can have fun with the car, and that's not really something possible in this one.

It's now my bedtime, but that was about all I had to say there. Ty was pretty correct about your SilEighty. Peace.

After I clean up the mess of request cars, I'll revisit the SilEighty. I do remember it being just a little biased towards wearing the fronts first, indicating understeer, so there is a bit of work left to do.

NoTOUCHIEGoat.jpg

Parts List
Semi-Racing Exhaust
Racing Brakes
Brake Balance Controller
Racing Chip
Triple-plate Clutch
Racing Flywheel
Carbon Driveshaft
Stage 2 Weight Reduction
S1 Tires
FC Suspension
FC Transmission
FC LSD

The Setup

SUSPENSION:
--------------------------------------------------------------
Spring Rate:-------4.8/4.8
Ride Height:-------140/140
Shock Bound:-------2/2
Shock Rebound:-----4/4
Camber:------------2.2/0.5
Toe:---------------0/0
Stabilizers:-------2/2
Transmission:
Reset to default. Autoset to 15, then set ratios and final.
Ratios of: [2.780/1.930/1.337/1.000/0.800/0.630]
Final of 4.100.

LSD/Downforce and others:
-------------------------------------------------------------------
LSD: 7/45/5

Brake Balance: 3/10

Ballast Weight: 0kg

Ballast Balance: 30 (rearward)

Downforce: None

Aids: None at all
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Notes: Just drive it.

Like you stole it, preferably. Make sure to kick it sideways a few times as well. It corners as quickly as the 1960s suspension design and tire widths allow on these hard tires, and it's surprisingly calm when the very long tail is out.

Just no leaning, please. Zippers and buttons scratch.

i will not touch a tuned GTO. Im afraid the barriers at seattle arent strong enough ;)

Plus im still addicted to my mustang. Once ive finished doing donuts ill have to try this out, time to see how good i really am!

Actually, I've got a tune card from Vince I still have to use. Try the Jaguar XJR-9 if you can.

Preferably stock, although you can kick it up a notch if you feel like it. TCS is OK, ASM not. R2/R1 combo for tires.

Oooh sounds good, it'll be in league with the R89C easily! Speaking of the R89C, I never got around to reviewing it properly. Here goes...

Nissan R89C Review

Ok, the R89C is a one-of-a-kind car. Very rare to own. So hard to get, that I had to keep the car stock, as I was out of money. And, to cap it all, I had a GT Championship race on a tight track! :indiff: So I came to GTP and asked for help, a kind of setup that would enable me to have a chance against the likes of the C9, R92CP, XJR-9, and others. I wouldn't have stood a chance without the tune. With just enough Traction control to accelerate, and more than enough power and handling, it was apparent that the car could do it. The first 3 laps proved it! Using hard tyrers, and my rather harsh driving, I was able to pull a good lead and pit at a good distance. Though the pit crew were very sluggish, (or rather my steering wheel disconnected :ouch:) I won easily. One side note: The TCS disappears on worn tyres, I was fighting with the steering wheel on two occasions :).

+: Great turning and breaking capabilities, nice wide gears for cornering.

-: Practically impossible to use once tyres go past a certain point, and TCS stops making effect.

Overall: 96/100. Yay!

-Macca

Back