Mad FinnTuners Co.™ - Finished 301010 with GT-Rdammerung - BIG THANKS everyone!

• Thread starter Greycap
  • 3,787 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
iLex' carguide about the (MFT) Wolf R32:

At first glance the Wolf R32 seems to be a regular black Golf R32 with custom rims. MFT has done no visual tuning to the car, keeping true to the already sporty visual characteristics of the Golf R32. The true connaisseur might spot the upgraded brakes and suspension through the spokes of the rims, but for the average driver there is only one thing that reveals the true nature of this beast: A small badge on the dashboard that says "Tuned by MFT Co." This wolf definately wears the proverbial sheep's clothes.

But I didn't get the car to admire its looks. I got it to have some fun.
So I put the pedal to the floor and with a nice controlled roar the 329 bhp engine (91 bhp more than the original) swiftly propels the car forward, doing 400m in 12.6s. The Wolf's top speed is limited by the transmission. The red light of the 6th gear lights up at around 235 km/h (146 mph) and at 255 km/h (158 mph) the needle bounces off the end of the scale, indicating the rev limiter has kicked in. Although the Wolf would probably have a higher top speed with different transmission settings, MFT's choice for increased acceleration (or so I presume) is a good one.
After a few corners it's clear that cornering is the Wolf's strongest point. It turns with ease and speed, beating many higher powerd cars at this element. This is also where the fun comes in: The car seems to challenge the driver to brake late and accelerate early, although badly timed early acceleration is answered with a hint of understeer. If wanted, though, the car can be driven quite aggressively and can be pushed to oversteer a bit, adding to the fun of driving it.

All this comes at a price, however. At over Cr. 185.000 the Wolf R32 is almost 4,5 times as expensive as a regular golf R32. But then again, high quality tuners all cost considerably more than their untuned counterparts and for most of the people who shop at MFT, money is not a problem.
Another minor problem with the Wolf R32 is its tyre wear. Probably due to the toe settings, the tyres tend to wear relatively fast. This makes the wolf a bad choice for endurance races, save those with low powered cars in which a lot of pit stops are possible.

Conclusion
The Wolf R32, as all of MFT's cars, is tuned to be fun to drive. "We aim to produce the most enjoyable driving experience..." says MFT's website and ultimately their cars should be judged on that, not on tyre wear or price. In my opinion they've reached their goal with the Wolf R32, and in reaching that goal they've created a car that can beat it's higher powered competition as long as there are corners to beat them in.

Last edited:
Thank you for your splendid review of the Wolf, iLex! Indeed, some compromises were made in order to achieve certain goals such as acceleration. The tyre wear though is mainly due the heavy-ish nose that on the other hand creates the wonderful lift-off oversteer in R32 and A3 3.2 Quattro. Another reason for the tyre wear is, that VW's 4Motion isn't a genuine AWD, which sadly applies to TT and A3 as well since they share the same powertrain, which is most of the time FWD until slip is detected, which is when the system sends torque to the rear wheels.

Whoops, got a bit sidetracked. Feel free to PM your request to me.

Another reason for the tyre wear is, that VW's 4Motion isn't a genuine AWD, which sadly applies to TT and A3 as well since they share the same powertrain, which is most of the time FWD until slip is detected, which is when the system sends torque to the rear wheels.

Ah, didn't know that. That would explain the huge difference between front and rear wheel tyre wear.

Feel free to PM your request to me.

I will as soon as I have a request :)

HONDA S2000 TYPE R '03 REVIEW

The S2000 isn't much of a sports car, it's not quite as fast or good looking as his faster brother (the NSX), but he is just as fun to drive. I hardly notice any oversteer or understeer in this car. Very nice to drive, gets through the corners very well. It can even get through the big tunnel turn in Special Stage Route 5 almost perfectly, something I had yet to see from any of the S2000s I have tried. Even the most punishing of turns, like the Corkscrew at Laguna Seca, seem to just let it zoom on through with no problems at all.

MFT R4 '03 REVIEW

Audis seem to have one big problem with their cars: weight. they just can't seem to get their cars to go on a diet. Well, based on their handling, I'm guessing it's because they're stubborn. Anyway, that's not really a problem with this car. Weighing at 1377kg it's not exactly the lightest car on the road, but it sure is a lot lighter than it was (about 300kg less). It does have some understeer on the throttle (getting your foot off the gas helps it turn), but any problems that could be caused by weight are fixed. oh and did I mention it looks cool and is fast?

RENAULT CLIO V6 F1 EDITION '03 REVIEW

This car looks beefy, and the base model is fast and fun, but MFT improved on both of those vital qualities of a car a lot. This car slides just the right amount for you to get the fun, out of control type of feeling, but it also does it within a limit that will keep you on the track. A very nice tune, I hope to see more like this in the future.

-----------------------------------

this means I now have 4 request credits, right? I still have that civic type R that I didn't request anything with a few pages back (right here)

I'm about to post the beginner events that I did in my race reports thread once I have the images for them cropped/resized.

I hope that you'd have a small pause so I would have time to build your requests, the vettes and the truck.. :crazy: I know that our setups are good, but in your case it seems to be severe addiction. :lol:

don't worry, I'm not requesting yet, and I havent done any racing for the challenge in a few days, so yeah.

and yeah, I'd call it addiction. I think I'm addicted to your setups as much as I am to Pepsi (I have a feeling its a combination of the taste and the caffeine :drool:). Although recently I havent used your setups as much because I've been drifting.

AMG SLR McLaren 700 Edition '03

700 bhp, 860 Nm, 1467 kg

Clickable for full size

Parts to fit:
Sports Exhaust
Racing Brakes
Brake Balance Controller
Port Polishing
Engine Balancing
Racing Chip
FC Transmission
Triple-plate Clutch
Racing Flywheel
FC LSD
Carbon Driveshaft
FC Suspension
S3 Tyres
Weight Reduction Stage 3
Oil Change
New Wheels (optional)

Suspension
Spring Rate: 12.0 / 12.5
Ride Height: 125 / 140
Bound: 6 / 8
Rebound: 6 / 8
Camber: 2.0 / 2.0
Toe: -1 / -2
Stabilizers: 5 / 6

Brake Controller
Brakes: 6 / 11

Transmission

Note: First, reset the gearbox to the default settings, then set the Auto setting, and only then set the gear ratios.

Gear Ratios
1st: 3.267
2nd: 2.100
3rd: 1.535
4th: 1.191
5th: 0.961
Final Gear: 2.750

Autoset 15

LSD
Initial: 10
Acceleration: 25
Deceleration: 10

Driving Aids
ASM Oversteer: 0
ASM Understeer: 0
TCS: 0

The SLR, an almost direct descendant of the great McLaren F1, is a very impressive car as it is. The 722 Edition, built to celebrate Stirling Moss' fabulous drive in Mille Miglia, is even more impressive. That, however, wasn't quite enough when the car had to be made to really go. The edition number came slightly down and is now a nice round 700. But this time it isn't a symbolic number, oh no.

Fitted with the full arsenal of AMG goodies the engine puts out 700 bhp flat, not that big of an increase when you think of the percentage but the extra power equals the engine of a small daily driver. The weight has come down from the Titanic class, it's still heavy but not ungodly heavy anymore. Despite the increased power to weight ratio the top speed hasn't changed but the way the car reaches it has. Now the top end is limited by gearing, not by aerodynamics. The handling is rock solid, reasonably forgiving in the best GT style but capable of small miracles in skilled hands. The result is the fastest "normal" road legal car that ever has rolled out of our workshop. Oh, and if you want to see how this black arrow truly performs, the medium compound slicks are in the garage...

Reviews:

by Kurei
by PF
by viperpilot

Last edited:
Pagani Zonda C12R 7.3 Review

The Pagani Zonda, the very mention of it sends car fans weak at the knees. This particualar model, the C12S 7.3 makes use of a AMG Mercedes sourced V12, one of the largest V12's ever made to propel it from 0-60mph in just 3.5 Seconds. It's iconic looks is one of its main popularity features, no other supercar looks quite like a Zonda.

Now though, the tuning company MFT has been given one to see if they could make the original Zonda even better. I have fond memories of the original C12S, one of the most exotic cars that I owned, slung low to the ground, the big 7.3 litre engine behind my ears, simply amazing. But this is not the C12S 7.3 this is the MFT C12R 7.3 and that R makes a big difference.

Looking under the bonnet and you won't see anything major, all the work done on the car is on the inside, fine tuning the mechanicals and porting the heads. These small adjustments add up though, the massive 7.3 to 624hp and 826Nm of torque.

The number's come at you at incredible speed, Thought watch yourself at the lights, anything less the careful throttle control at the lights and you'll end up putting on a show for the children, 1st and 2nd gear are great fun on the twisties, turn in with no power, wait for the understeer to kick in then boot it out of the corner, do it right and you're rewarded with a tail happy supercar, how many people in life can say they have drifted a Zonda!

We traded the mountain roads of Capri for Fuji Speedway, the reason for coming out to Fuji was mainly to test the power and the top speed, carrying as much speed through the sweeping corner on to the straight, what we managed was 300kph....In 5th and this thing has 6 gears.

During a race series we found that tyre wear was fully in the range of acceptable, 3 lap dashes around Apricot Hill found that the tyres where still showing bright green. Lovely. We found out a lot about the car on this track. First this car must be persuaded, never told what to do, nimbler Ruf's always found their way around the Zonda before I got back onto the straights again. A fair amount of left foot braking is required to keep it from understeering right off the track, only the best can get the most out of the car.

Which brings me to another point. You find the perfect line, brake early (the brakes are fantastic by the way) get on the gas and a tiny irregularity in the road surface sends the rears spinning in second gear, this make the car fairly frustrating on the whole. Having said only the best can get the most out of the car I managed a 1:23.083 around Twin Ring Motegi East Curcuit- Short Course. Given time you learn more and more about what the car is like, it never accepts you, it make you work for its respect and when you get it, it will give it all back to you in the form of perfect lines and blistering laptimes.

Buckets of power, excellent brakes and for the high school students, a crowd pleaser, though high wheelspin and understeer make it a tricky car. It should put a smile on your face.

6.8/10

Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VIII SE '03

581 bhp, 671 Nm, 1198 kg

Clickable for full size

Parts to fit:
Racing Exhaust
Racing Brakes
Brake Balance Controller
Turbo Kit Stage 3
Racing Intercooler
Port Polishing
Engine Balancing
Racing Chip
FC Transmission
Triple-plate Clutch
Racing Flywheel
AYC
Carbon Driveshaft
FC Suspension
R3 Tyres
Variable Centre Differential
Weight Reduction Stage 3
Rigidity Refresh
Oil Change
New Wheels (optional)

Suspension
Spring Rate: 5.0 / 5.5
Ride Height: 115 / 125
Bound: 4 / 5
Rebound: 10 / 9
Camber: 2.0 / 2.0
Toe: 0 / -2
Stabilizers: 3 / 5

Brake Controller
Brakes: 5 / 5

Transmission

Note: First, reset the gearbox to the default settings, then set the Auto setting, and only then set the gear ratios.

Gear Ratios
1st: 2.343
2nd: 1.646
3rd: 1.282
4th: 1.050
5th: 0.878
6th: 0.727
Final Gear: 4.100

Autoset 10

LSD
Initial: 5
Acceleration: 15
Deceleration: 10

VCD
Variable Centre Differential: 25

AYC
Active Yaw Control: 80

Driving Aids
ASM Oversteer: 0
ASM Understeer: 0
TCS: 0

Those of you who know what is the Division 1 of the European rallycross championship may notice the similarity of the specs of this car and those of the racers. I've seen those things go and my intention was to make this Evo such a rocket too. The result was quite successful, even without downforce it is fast enough to challenge its old stablemate, our 3000GT-R despite the latter having the advantage of more power and downforce. The build is based on the GSR model but the extensivity of the modifications takes it past the MR and produces a Special Edition, a one-off super Evolution. The car has Ralliart parts applied wherever possible, only the best was good enough. Driving it is easy under all but one circumstance: whatever you do, do not brake when going over a crest. It'll punish immediately.

Ive just tested this machine and I must say that it is fast!! Ive managed to get 183mph out of it on Fuji90s straight.Ive also done 55.019 secs on Tsukuba circuit.I find the car a little laggy but I attribute that to the stage 3 turbo.That said it is extremely stable in cornering...amazing given that the car has no GT wing.It has maybe a little body roll but not enough to be a problem.All in all a very good car....the brakes are simply incredible!! Well done MFT!! Another fine effort but the Raiden is my favourite!!!!

Thanks to the MFT chaps and Camry for reminding me that I've had a Zonda build sitting in the pile on my desk for weeks - it's one of those occassions where I thought I'd already posted it up :embarrassed:. It's a handling excercise build rather than power or race-targeted so it'll be interesting to see how it compares with the one Camry reviewed above 👍.

Be my guest and test them side by side. and for those who havce done reviews: you know the drill. some requests are already done, just small tweaks here and there before they'll be posted. Oh yeah, that reminds me..Belisario, you just had to choose The Toyota pick up, didn't you? it just isn't fair competition against the obese americans, atleast I can't make it SLOW enough to make the situation even slightly competitive.. so, if you have any other ideas for the pick-up race, I'm listening..

yeah, I fail at making slow car. so sue me. :sly: :lol:

go ahead and make it fast then, I don't like the RAM or the F-150, and I don't have access to the Silverado because that's the prize car for the truck series.

well, I could always do that really ugly retro-style Chevy pick-up.. I've tested it before ant it's not too bad for such a lard-ass..

SpuddieT - Thanks for digging the Evo out of the black hole it disappeared in! It's quite different in style to the more raw and basic Raiden, the electronics replace iron in the differentials and four years of suspension development has left its mark.

viperpilot - It is stunning indeed, the speed is very well camouflaged in the handling. You feel you're going to run 1'55 and then it roars over the line in 1'50. About the GT4 disc, yes you do but precision my friend. It's a DVD. :P

Brief review of SLR McLaren '03

I've never been a fan of the big Euro roadcars in GT4, but the MFT and Esatezza models are slowly changing my mind. The SLR can typify the sluggishness and understeer that irritates me so much, but this tune is very user-frindly. In fact the first thing I noticed is that it's not as adventurous as most MFT cars; although I jumped in this immediately after thrashing the Cobra, so this may have coloured my judgement.

My only issues were with a bit of mid-corner understeer - easily managed with some coasting and throttle control - and with the gears. Top speed was too low on GVS and Fuji (especially for a 700hp car), and the wheelspin in first is annoying, as the 5-speed gearbox means you have to use it for some corners.

But it's a great tune, very responsive and really really stable, especially when you figure out how to move the weight properly. A couple of the settings seemed strange on paper, but the whole thing seems to fit together beautifully. Next test run will be on R3s with a little bit of downforce and a higher gear ratio.

Comments on the Cobra '67

This car is just insane. I'm a fairly poor driver, so my driving this is like a toddler playing with a chainsaw, and it's just as entertaining. This car is beautiful and scary and getting a good clean lap with it quite testing, but immensely rewarding.

PF - Thanks for both!

First about the SLR and its transmission troubles. You never have to use the first gear even though that's how it looks. The engine gives 700 Nm already at 2000 rpm, exceeds 800 Nm at 2500 rpm and pulls with the full figure of 860 Nm from 3200 rpm. The torque delivery is, simply said, exceptional. 2000 rpm in the second gear equals less than 50 km/h and I doubt you're going that slow in normal track driving. So keep it in the second in the hairpins, you'll save time in the process. About the top speed issue, I honestly have no idea what you're talking about. The car tops out at 346 km/h in the fifth gear (tested on Sarthe II, didn't even hit the limiter) and that should be plenty enough, especially seeing that you say the gearing was too short for GVS but the car can only reach ~290 km/h on the main straight. There's certainly something that doesn't match here, I have to suspect you've gone wrong with the gearbox setup.

Then about the rambunctious reptile... volatile is a good word to use when describing it. Don't try to push it at full speed if you feel you can't control it, the edge of grip is very narrow. Keep your pace on the safe side and you'll do fine, then increase the speed when you have enough experience with it. The actual handling isn't bad, not at all, but everything happens at such a great speed that you simply don't have time to think. So give yourself that time. 👍

Then about the rambunctious reptile... volatile is a good word to use when describing it. Don't try to push it at full speed if you feel you can't control it, the edge of grip is very narrow. Keep your pace on the safe side and you'll do fine, then increase the speed when you have enough experience with it. The actual handling isn't bad, not at all, but everything happens at such a great speed that you simply don't have time to think. So give yourself that time. 👍

I've had problems with that car when I tested it. I'll try it using those tips soon, thanks!

Pagani Zonda C12R 7.3 Review
This car is improved in everything.It handles so good on the sport tires that I can do a clean lap around the Nurb.The top speed is improved and it can have no wheelspin if you dont go full throttle in 1st or 2nd.Also the brakes are improved
8/10

Yeah, I've messed the SLR tranny up somehow.

Transmission

Gear Ratios
1st: 3.267
2nd: 2.100
3rd: 1.535
4th: 1.191
5th: 0.961
Final Gear: 2.750

Autoset 15

I understood this to mean:
Default->Auto 15->Gears1/2/3/4/5->Final 2.75

I just had a look at the tranny and all settings were followed down to 0.001 accuracy, applied using the method above. How could I have messed this up?

Will try later after reinstalling the tranny in case it's a bug of some kind. Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the tips on the Reptile Greycap, but I don't think I'll be getting a really good time with it in the near future. It's just an adrenaline rush for me, kinda like skydiving blindfolded while playing Russian roulette and wrestling a bear. Truly exhilarating.

And that's where you messed up. You have to do the settings in this order:

Auto>final>actual gear ratios.

changing the order will change the results. I know, I was bit puzzled too after discovering this.

Killer, feel free to PM me your request for a tune if you wish.

Last edited:
And that's where you messed up. You have to do the settings in this order:

Auto>final>actual gear ratios.

changing the order will change the results. I know, I was bit puzzled too after discovering this.

Killer, feel free to PM me your request for a tune if you wish.

No, that's NOT where he messed up.

Because after the autoset is set, the final makes ABSOLUTELY ZERO DIFFERENCE IN THE GEAR RATIOS THAT ARE AVAILABLE.

Funnily enough, bot I and grey set our gearboxes as I described, and the top speed is 346km/h. it doesn't run out of gears at any point.

PF
I just had a look at the tranny and all settings were followed down to 0.001 accuracy, applied using the method above. How could I have messed this up?

Will try later after reinstalling the tranny in case it's a bug of some kind. Any other suggestions?
I don't know what has gone wrong but something for sure. Having said that it can be a bug, I had it when setting up the Skyline 350GT-8 Leonidae made. For some reason, in Set A the gearbox was completely nuts and the eighth gear was shorter than the seventh. I moved to Set B and it worked, you could try this too.

Sorry I haven't replied earlier, something wasn't letting me submit it properly:

Thanks Grey and Leo for the tranny advice. It worked immediately, and the car moved into 5th at about the same speed it maxed out on before.

Sadly, the extra power gave it the attributes that I don't like in Euro roadcars: the car got back almost all of the understeer of the stock version; coasting entering corners is no longer enough to keep a good time; any touch of the throttle is enough to disrupt a corner, and exiting is a slow and laborious process.

I'm sure much of this has to do with my preference for sticky 4wd cars (this is why I dream about Raiden every now and then), but the understeer still seems like a killer. Will try agian with power mods turned off and maybe softer front suspension. Any further suggestions for removing understeer?

This also means that I have to go back and setup the ratios for every one of your tunes in this manner. This may explain any criticism of gear ratios I've given in reviews.

EDIT: Grrrr, not good enough, will give a reasonable review when I learn how to bloody drive. I've been going so badly lately that B-Spec Bob is looking like a champ and I might get kicked from the team.

Last edited:
German mentality? Isn't that like getting out of your bed on the left hand side instead of the usual right?:sly:

PF
I'm sure much of this has to do with my preference for sticky 4wd cars (this is why I dream about Raiden every now and then), but the understeer still seems like a killer. Will try agian with power mods turned off and maybe softer front suspension. Any further suggestions for removing understeer?
Only one suggestion, change your driving style from the agile Mitsubishi. Compared to the Raiden the car is a total land barge and the sports tyres don't help any as you're trying to corner like it had medium slicks. Brake earlier, don't throw the car around. Be smooth and gentle. Having said that, if you're using the DS2 you might be in trouble as you can't "overdrive" the car in corners. It only lets you turn the wheels enough to follow a perfect non-slipping line at the speed you're doing, and thanks to the laws of physics the maximum grip is achieved when the tyres are slipping by about 15%. In other words, when the car begins to plow out of the road you can only lift off and hope it stops in time, whereas with a wheel you can simply turn more and save the situation. It's particularly pronounced with fast and heavy cars that tend to understeer, a description that fits the SLR perfectly.

I won't admit that the car is bad just yet... if it was it certainly wouldn't be our fastest wingless car on sports tyres. It just can't be driven like lighter and grippier cars, find the way to handle it and it will shatter a couple of lap records. As a matter of fact it went around the Nürburgring in 6'43, something usually reached by R compounds or downforce. Or both.

Maybe DS2, maybe lack of experience or skill. Either way, I'm going back for another few laps to try again. Thanks all

EDIT: Thanks Grey for the advice. I get lazy after driving cars like Raiden where it's easy to readjust your position just before or even during a corner. The SLR demands a good line and will punish you if you miss it or try to readjust too far. Another thing I had to do was pay far more attention to the weight shifting; what I had mistaken for understeer is a phenomenal amount of stability if used properly.

Once I started hitting proper lines this alleged 'car' turned into a bloody jet engine, it's astounding. This is perfect for me at the moment and has become my training car. A few laps with this at the start of a session will make me actually pay attention to proper lines and entry/exit speed rather than relying on sticky tyres and 4WD. Thanks MFT, sorry you had to give me a driving lesson before I could appreciate the tune!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back