Mad FinnTuners Co.™ - Finished 301010 with GT-Rdammerung - BIG THANKS everyone!

• Thread starter Greycap
  • 3,787 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Toyota WedsSport Celica GT300 '03

327 bhp, 463 Nm, 1050 kg

Clickable for full size

Parts to fit:
R3 Tyres
Rigidity Increase (rollcage)
Oil Change

Suspension
Spring Rate: 12.5 / 12.5
Ride Height: 95 / 100
Bound: 5 / 6
Rebound: 6 / 8
Camber: 2.0 / 1.5
Toe: 0 / -1
Stabilizers: 4 / 6

Brake Controller
Brakes: 5 / 6

Transmission

Note: First, reset the gearbox to the default settings, then set the Auto setting, and only then set the gear ratios.

Gear Ratios
1st: 2.486
2nd: 1.720
3rd: 1.337
4th: 1.075
5th: 0,900
6th: 0.767
Final Gear: 4.250

Autoset 13

LSD
Initial: 10
Acceleration: 25
Deceleration: 10

Downforce
Amount: 30 / 50

Driving Aids
ASM Oversteer: 0
ASM Understeer: 0
TCS: 0

Race cars are usually thought to be bristling with power but the reality says otherwise. The GT300 class is a good example of this, the power levels pale in comparison even to road cars but the cars are still full blown racers with no compromises done in getting around the track in the shortest time possible, the class rules considered of course.

Today's target is the garishly painted WedsSport Celica with its turbo engine giving an edge over NA models but on the other hand lacking in the revving capabilities. Straight from the factory the car was slightly too stiff and understeered unpredictably at speed, we addressed both issues with slight tweaks to the suspension as well as opening the differential a bit. Somewhat increased braking power shortens the braking distances and a closer ratio gearbox ensures that the engine stays on the optimal power band regardless of the situation. Want to take on GT500 cars with a GT300 ride? Take this one!

Reviews:

by stidriver

Last edited:
iLex carguide on the Protomotors Spirra SC (mkII):

The Protomotors Spirra is commonly known (by the relatively few people who know it...) as the Korean Supercar. Supercar, ofcourse is a rather vague term and even Wikipedia is not completely sure about its meaning: Apperently, to qualify as a supercar, a car must be very fast/powerfull, eye catching, it must have sporty handling and its price should be "one in a rarified atmosphere of its own."
So, is the Spirra the Korean supercar? It has a mere 320bhp engine, suspension that doesn't prevent body roll enough and at Cr. 80.000 it's rather cheap. Although the car is eye catching, the conclusion is bitter: The Spirra is not the Korean supercar.

But there is hope for the Spirra. MadFinnTuning (MFT) has taken the Protomotors Spirra, stripped it of everything they regarded as obsolete, tuned the engine all the way up to 524bhp (!) and upgraded the transmission and suspension. Then they put a big rear wing on it to provide some downforce to compensate for the increased engine power, added a set of racing tyres (R3) to increase the cars grip on the road surface and called it the Spirra SC (MkII).
The power and weight are now in the same league as the Zondas and their supercar friends so technically, we may conclude that this made the Spirra a Korean/Finnish supercar. But before we jump to any conclusion, let's have a ride.

So I take the car to Suzuka, slowly drive the car to the track, and then I hit the gas. Immediately I get pushed into my seat. Like a true race car the Spirra SC darts forward with a loud scream. This is definately a different Spirra then the one I drove before. The downforce of the car can clearly be felt when I take the first corner, helping me take the corner rather easily. Although it lacks the downforce to take corners like a true GT500 car, the Spirra SC feels like one most of the time. This is a beast.
I race around Suzuka singing along with the roar of the engine, enjoying the sight of the world flying past me at enormous speed, when suddenly disaster strikes. I accidently touch the grass at the inside of a corner. Although it's just a small touch with one wheel, the Spirra immediately reacts.
A few seconds later I'm in the middle of a big sandbox, looking completely disoriented at my hands on the steering wheel when it strikes me: This car is unforgiving.
A few more laps only confirm this At high speed the slightest mistake will send you spinning off the track. If you so much as touch a bit of grass or tap the brakes while not driving completely straight, the Spirra punishes you and most of the time the punishment is severe. I've flown off tracks, lost complete sense of direction and almost killed myself and the car hitting a wall...
Don't get me wrong, as I said before it's not particularly hard to get this car to do what you want. You don't need to work hard to keep it on the track, nor do you need magic to get it around a bend. Only complex corner sequences can be somewhat of a challenge. Most of the time, however, this car is very driveable... But one hesitation or bad choice and... well, it's game over.

Regardless of this diva-like behaviour of the Spirra SC, I must conclude that this is a Supercar. It's very fast and powerfull, the black paint and the wing make it even more of an eye catcher, it handles almost like a race car and when MFT is finished with it, it's expensive.
However, I get the feeling that MFT went slightly over the top with it. They aimed high, almost for the GT500 class. A slightly lighter engine might have made this a car that would perform well on S3 tyres, a car that one could drive to a nightclub and get there alive. But maybe this is like asking Superman to stop flying so he could be a bit more like a normal man. Maybe we should just be happy with the birth of the Korean/Finnish Supercar: The Protomotors Spirra SC

Last edited:
I'll PM the setup after I've taken the sportscar back to my sister. I need some painkillers too.. no, not a result of wet evening but psychedelic anime special effects..

iLex - Big thanks! The Spirra is one of our most iconic cars (considering the "Mad" part) but quite overlooked. Apparently you've found the reason to the red badge. :P It's indeed very unforgiving, the smallest mistake will turn perfect cornering into a survival fight. But it's just the way I wanted it to be, some cars should test the driver's limits instead of being easy cruisers. The Spirra is one of those, if you know what you're doing it'll be blindingly fast. If you don't... well, you've seen it already. :D

RX-7 GT300

340 bhp, 344 Nm, 1100 kg

Clickable for full size

Parts to fit:

R3 Tyres
Rigidity Increase (rollcage)
Oil Change

Suspension
Spring Rate: 13.0 / 12.0
Ride Height: 45 / 45
Bound: 4 / 6
Rebound: 10 / 10
Camber: 2.2 / 1.3
Toe: -3 / -2
Stabilizers: 4 / 7

Brake Controller
Brakes: 4 / 8

Transmission

Note: First, reset the gearbox to the default settings, then set the Auto setting, and only then set the gear ratios.

Gear Ratios
1st: 3.027
2nd: 2.165
3rd: 1.670
4th: 1.340
5th: 1.104
6th: 0.920
Final Gear: 4.500

Autoset 13

LSD
Initial: 25
Acceleration: 13
Deceleration: 5

Downforce
Amount: 30 / 50

Driving Aids
ASM Oversteer: 0
ASM Understeer: 0
TCS: 0

While the RE-Amemiya RX-7 resembles it's more humble roadgoing version only generally speaking, the real changes lurk under the carbonfiber bodywork. Gone is the nice interior, replaced by a jungle of rollcage and other safety equipment and a dashboard that looks like it came off from a fighter jet. And that's not all. While the engine is still an exotic Wankel Rotary engine, it's no longer from a twin turbocharged roadcar. This triple rotor unit originally resided under the bonnet of a Mazda Cosmo, a big luxury coupe. It had two hairdryers on it too, but the regulations of GT300-class didn't allow those. MazdaSpeed and RE-Amemiya couldn't do anything else but build the engine to rev high, higher, and beyond. And what a glorious sound it makes while tearing around the track! But this is not all. Since the JGTC exists no more, these old but still powerful racers were contributed to a racing school, and that's where MFT stepped in. The racecar was either very unwilling to turn, or then it spun. We adjusted the suspension and differential to allow more balanced handling without sacrificing the speed. And ever since the car was completed, it has carried many future superstars of Super GT class, teaching and guiding them into the world where the man and the machine are one.

Last edited:
iLex - Big thanks! The Spirra is one of our most iconic cars (considering the "Mad" part) but quite overlooked. Apparently you've found the reason to the red badge. :P It's indeed very unforgiving, the smallest mistake will turn perfect cornering into a survival fight. But it's just the way I wanted it to be, some cars should test the driver's limits instead of being easy cruisers. The Spirra is one of those, if you know what you're doing it'll be blindingly fast. If you don't... well, you've seen it already. :D

You're welcome. Thank you for all the tunes.
I was really surprised the first time I spun off the track, since the car doesn't really handle like a 'bad boy'. It was funny, since I really ended up in a sandbox not knowing for a second in which direction the nose of the car was pointing. :scared:

Don't worry. you're not the first one, nor the last one to do that, I can promise that. You should be happy that you didn't drive it on Nurb, or you would still be wandering around the track after about gazillion spins. :D

well, you know.. I'm a small guy myself (5'5/164cm and 165lbs/75kg).. I have to defend small-engined torqueless wonders.. :D

Sorry it's taking me so long to test you GSX-R/4 setup Leonidae, I haven't had any time. Should have it done on Friday though. That's Friday GMT. Just to clarify.
And just so you know, short people are AWESOME!

:lol: Stop attacking the wookie Leo!! :P

On a brighter note for myself, I've found my Tacoma setup again, hidden away amongst a pile of paperwork!! :embarrassed: I'll bring it up soon. ;)

Opah! I'm a bit busy with GT1 right now (bloody fantastic game, that is), but it's very cool to see that I'll return to a substantial garage of MFT JGTC wondermobiles.

Might I suggest a GT500 MR-S? Though, the thought of a 500hp MR-S is a difficult one...

hmmm.. *considers for a moment* nah, it's more fun to stretch the car as far as it can go with it's current power, no matter how low it will be. then you need o drive like MAD in order to keep up with the big boys.. and that's the most entertaining thing to do, is it not? :sly:

Ah, but you said that the "big boys" were coming. I just though a gentle nudge in that direction might give a... mid-engined result.

well, now that you mentioned.. I have even that one ready at my garage. :D This is what we mean when we say that we have a lot of cars in the back burner..

Lotus MotorSport Elise 260RS '99

A fantastic tune, there. A bit tail-happy through 5/6-gear sweepers(Degner in particular), but immenesly controllable, and it can form a great weapon.
A bit dreary on sports tyres, with the tail-happyness even more pronounced, but after an ugly transition from understeer. To get the best from this car, you need racing tyres.

Put it on normal tyres, and it becomes a very controlled drifter, very easily throttle-steered.

I'd like to make a request, too. One of the newer Elises, doesn't matter which, but preferably the 111R, because that's sitting in my garage.​

Last edited:
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV Group A '97

I tryed this rallycar with your setup and I found that it's well balanced and quite easy to drive. I especialy liked the gear ratios, they work fine in those thight corners found in rally courses. I also tuned the car for dirt and snow with the suspension setup from your road going EVO IV, and it worked nicely. I won all the dirt/snow races with this babe, in a spirit of Tommi Mäkinen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back