Mad FinnTuners Co.™ - Finished 301010 with GT-Rdammerung - BIG THANKS everyone!

• Thread starter Greycap
  • 3,787 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
well, child-safe version would be freaking quick.. but we all know how much Americans love their expletives.. ;)

Opel Speedster OPC '00

339 bhp, 378 Nm, 773 kg

Clickable for full size

Parts to fit:
Racing Exhaust
Racing Brakes
Brake Balance Controller
Turbo Kit Stage 3
Port Polishing
Engine Balancing
Racing Chip
FC Transmission
Triple-plate Clutch
Racing Flywheel
FC LSD
FC Suspension
S3 Tyres
Weight Reduction Stage 3
Oil Change
Rear Wing
New Wheels (optional)

Suspension
Spring Rate: 6.0 / 6.5
Ride Height: 105 / 110
Bound: 4 / 5
Rebound: 6 / 6
Camber: 2.0 / 2.0
Toe: 0 / 0
Stabilizers: 3 / 4

Brake Controller
Brakes: 5 / 7

Transmission

Note: First, reset the gearbox to the default settings, then set the Auto setting, and only then set the gear ratios.

Gear Ratios
1st: 2.748
2nd: 1.820
3rd: 1.375
4th: 1.070
5th: 0.850
Final Gear: 3.500

Autoset 13

LSD
Initial: 10
Acceleration: 25
Deceleration: 5

Downforce
Amount: 25 / 30

Driving Aids
ASM Oversteer: 0
ASM Understeer: 0
TCS: 0

Something of a cousin for the Lotus Elise, the Opel Speedster has never quite reached the level of fame its relative boasts. Well, for a reason. Straight off the showroom floor it isn't that impressive, sure it has the engine where it belongs driving the proper wheels but still, it doesn't have the "something" the Elise does. We gave it that, or at least tried to.

It's now the latest addition to the OPC range of Opel, the trusty Ecotec making more than twice the original power catapults it to speeds unknown to the stock version while the DTM-sourced suspension does its best to keep the car on the road. Quite a lot of extra weight was thrown out and the dynamics were further enhanced by the addition of lighter alloy wheels and an ugly but effective rear wing. Function beats form in this case.

By the way, did you think the Speedster cup was a really tough nut to crack? Let me guess, R class tyres were a necessity? Not anymore. In skilled hands this car wins the races by some ten seconds each as it is.

Reviews:

by senamic
by stidriver

Last edited:
That's nice looking Greycap ;) .. As you said about the speedster cup.. I had problems with it, but I managed it after coples of tries.. R class tyres? :lol: You're right at this point :P ..

Have a nice day and expect a few reviews soon ;) ..

Best wishes,

S-Line Audi Fan

Review of the Opel Speedster OPC

Suspension:
The Speedster is very good at all parts of the turn and is mostly neutral that can go into slite oversteer are low to medium speeds. In high speed turns I was seeing a slite understeer. The understeer is not a big problem because the car has drop throttle oversteer in the it that you can use to bring the car back on line with ease.

Trans:
The OPC gearing and final drive ar OK, but I did find that second gear was a little high for the last chicane and 180(turn 6) at GVS.

Braking:
The Opel braking is a little on the long side, but with good control and you can move the car around under them.

The Speedster OPC is a very nice car to drive and my best lap at GVS was a 1'51.884 with it. Good tunning boy's.:)

I tried your clio 2.0 tune. very nice, no wheelspin and its really easy to contain the understeer. i was really hoping you could do a faster version of the same car.

I tried your suspension settings with a full NA tune (stage 3) but it handled nothing like the slower version.

really interested in a stage 3 na tune with sports tires for this clio 2.0.

stidriver - Thanks once again! It it just me... or did I manage a car with practically no handling faults? :D The second gear is admittedly a tad too tall for the said corners but making it shorter would make the transmission grossly unbalanced with too short 1st and 2nd and too tall 3rd and upwards. If it only could have a six speed gearbox.

datman13 - To be honest I'm not surprised at all to hear that the high power levels didn't work. The chassis simply can't take the power. Either the wheels will spin or the LSD has to be set to ridiculously high levels which stops the car from turning. Or both, actually. As much as the power goes up the fun factor comes down, and there's not much I can do because it's laws of physics that the front wheels can only do so much.

img0019zm3.jpg

I don't know what it is about the Fiat 500. I really don't. I've always had a bit of a soft spot for it and I don't know why. I recently went on a holiday and came back with a scale model kit of one, and I don't even know why.

Maybe thats not a bad thing though. It prompted me to look at the MFT incarnation of the vehicle.

For a car that sports less engine volume than the volume of the glass I drink my beer out of, I have to be honest, I was not expecting much.

In some ways, I was right too. The engine is really the down point of this car. I know the technology is comparatively ancient, and the power that has been squeezed out of the little engine is truly nothing less than phenomenal, however I was always left with the feeling of wanting more.

It feels a little breathless. It feels like it needs another 1500 RPM on the redline before valve bounce. It needs more torque so you don't have to downshift while sliding, a relatively regular occurrence in the little Fiat. It needs...a motorbike engine. But we cant do that here, so lets just move on.

The downshifting, while happening often, is painless enough thanks to the quick, precise action of the five speed gearbox. The ratios are spaced out really well for the car.

The chassis is really quite well set up. The car has no bump steer characteristics, nor does it get tram lined by the contours in the road. This was really surprising in such a light vehicle. Sliding the car was easy enough to initiate, and to hold, as long as the engine held out.

img0020oi3.jpg

With sports or racing tyres, this could be quite a capable, good handling race car. Outfit it with street tyres and have some fun.

img0021jb8.jpg

I think that was most of the appeal of the little Fiat in the first place though. It was always a fun little car. Now MFT have just made it a different (and better) type of fun.

img0022gx9.jpg

Now what to do with that scale model...maybe some 500 RS stripes...

Looking at the state of the entire tuning section I feel we're reaching the point in which the actual model choice is becoming less and less important, as sad as it is. You may ask why... well, because the car isn't deemed to be a huge success no matter how exotic or outstanding it is.

Having said that there's still a couple of surprises to come, some of which you've seen in one place or another and some of which you haven't. Oddities? Yes. Some of those "why doesn't anybody ever tune this car" models? Oh yes. You'll find out.

"Young Thunder" '02

314 bhp, 310 Nm, 728 kg

Clickable for full size

Parts to fit:
Racing Exhaust
Racing Brakes
Brake Balance Controller
Turbo Kit Stage 3
Port Polishing
Engine Balancing
Racing Chip
FC Transmission
Triple-plate Clutch
Racing Flywheel
FC LSD
FC Suspension
S3 Tyres
Weight Reduction Stage 3
Oil Change
Rear Wing
New Wheels (optional)

Suspension
Spring Rate: 5.5 / 8.0
Ride Height: 110 / 90
Bound: 5 / 5
Rebound: 10 / 10
Camber: 2.2 / 1.3
Toe: -3 / -2
Stabilizers: 1 / 7

Brake Controller
Brakes: 3 / 6

Transmission

Note: First, reset the gearbox to the default settings, then set the Auto setting, and only then set the gear ratios.

Gear Ratios
1st: 2.249
2nd: 1.610
3rd: 1.236
4th: 0.999
5th: 0.833
6th: 0.716
Final Gear: 4.750

Autoset 11

LSD
Initial: 20
Acceleration: 13
Deceleration: 5

Downforce
Amount: 30 / 30

Driving Aids

If you were expecting more mid-engined exotica, you were right. Do you know ASL, a small car manufacturer from Japan? Their only car at the moment is ASL Garaiya, that is better known as GT300 class racer. This car is the roadgoing version of it, and after purchasing Tommykaira that was rolling around in the edge of disaster, they also picked up Tommykaira's bad habit of turning innocent little Nissan engines into true monsters. Well, maybe that's a bit of exaggeration, but 314bhp is not a bad achievement from a high-revving 2l inline 4, that originally was planted in a Primera, out of all cars. The thing is, this engine was planted into a lightweight mid-engined chassis, much like Tommykaira did with ZZ-S, but this time the aim is in the Lotus 111R instead of Lotus Motorsport Elise. And the wizards of Oz.. er, the Wizards of MFT used their magic and pushed the little car with it's little engine just a bit further, polishing it until it became fun and fast to drive, a complete trackday weapon. But, as you can see, the register plates are still there, meaning that it can be driven on road too. See you at mountain passes!

Sorry to be a pain in your butt Greycap, but your weight of the Opel Speedster Turbo is incorrect mate. :) I'm just about to use my one for an enduro, and with Stage 3 weight reduction it's actually 884kg, not 773kg as you've stated. Simple typo maybe?? ;)

Nope... it's the NA Speedster with a turbo, not an actual Speedster Turbo as the silver roof reveals. ;)

*slaps self* D'oh. :dunce:

That's why I noticed the absence of Racing Intercooler and kept thinking to myself, "Is Grey deliberately de-tuning the motor?.....WTF??" :dopey:

Thanks for the clear up. Once again, your efforts shine everytime and have always been my benchmark to beat. :)

*back to the hole I go for more car development of Speedster TURBO!! :P*

*added bit* Shaddup Leo!! :lol::P

Well, I don't blame you.. we have played this game so much that we occasionally recognize the car by BHP, weight or even the engine sound+tacho-combo.. not to mention the way it handles. Yes, we're GT-Geeks.

I'm the same in MOST of those categories you've mentioned Leo. Weights after S3 weight reduction isn't one of them however, that's why I got a bit mixed up then. :P

A review of the Scooby-Doo '95 WRX STi

Braking:
Braking on the Scooby-Doo is a little on the long side and you can move the car around under braking. But I think the car can be made to move around to much under braking. This makes the car harder to be conistent while braking. I tried dropping the brake controller front and rear by 1 and this made for more consistent lap times, but did not make for a faster lap time.

Suspension:
The Subaru is mostly neutral at turn-in and the middle part of the turn in low to medium speeds. Medium/high and High speed the car will understeer, but backing out the throttle will bring the car back on-line with ease as the AWD system sends some power to the front tires.

Trans:
The gearing and final drive are good for the STi.

I was running alot of laps in the 1'57.2xx at Grand Valley Speedway with the Scooby-Doo. That's fast for a car with no downforce on sport tires. I had fun driving this WRX STi.:)

Ah, thank you for giving the old dog a run for it's money. It is indeed bit of a handful, which was quite unexpected when I tuned it. you know the drill, old buddy. ;)

I wasn't at gtplanet last few days and I haven't posted anything, so that you know: I'll review few cars at the weekend and I'll give you some feedback ;) ..

PS2 and GT4 don't work, but I have some reviews done before they gave up :) ..

Best wishes!

S-Line Audi Fan :cheers:

Still none of those tested setups here then Leo? I'm quite upset, it's been a long time, and those setups are really worth posting. :(

They will be published sooner or later. The thing is that Greycap will need to find a pair for those cars with similar performance. Maybe you should let him know what cars you tested so he can prepare them in advance as we wait for a time when publishing them is possible?

Really nice garage you got going here 👍 ... any chance you guys moving on to GT5 when it DOES finally come out?

Last edited:
They will be published sooner or later. The thing is that Greycap will need to find a pair for those cars with similar performance. Maybe you should let him know what cars you tested so he can prepare them in advance as we wait for a time when publishing them is possible?

I can barely remember what I got from you!
I got a Cappuccino setup, and a Caterham one I remember that much, but I'm sure I got some others.
Give me a while and I'll check. I'll edit this post when I think I have gotten them all.

EDIT:
I got a Suzuki GSX-R/4 from you as well, but I'm sure that was it. If you can come up with any more, PM them to me, or just straight to Grey, whichever is more productive. I'll get these ones off now.

Hello MFT!!!

I'm going to review The GrimR34per.

At first time I thought that the car isn't controllable, because of the enormous amount of bhp. The weight was alright.

I went to Grand Valley Speedway. First I didn't want to floor the car too much. The first 5 laps I just tested the brakes, balance and stuff like that..
But.. As always I got a kick while playing and I tried to get a fast lap. The car was well balanced and there was no under- or oversteer.. There was only some oversteer, if you braked too late. But: This was fun, too, because the car was controllable..

The car was controllable and well balanced.. But what about the speed? - Right! I went to Circuit de la Sarthe I and II. The car accelerated fast, there was enough grip when accelerating and the gearbox was well set.

All in all an excellent car.. I can advise it for every event (where such a car is allowed).. You ask why? - Well, I liked the tyre wear.. The car is fast as LMs, if it is driven correctly and even faster.. The car is also controllable when the tyres are weared and red (attention: oversteer!).

Total laps on GVS: 53 (yes, I'm crazy.. crazy after Skylines :P)
Best lap: 1'36.889

10/10

Leo, with this car.. You made me smile :) 👍

Best wishes,

S-Line Audi Fan :cheers:

Nismo 600R '96

597 bhp, 645 Nm, 1286 kg

Clickable for full size

Parts to fit:
Racing Brakes
Brake Balance Controller
Turbo Kit Stage 4
FC Transmission
Triple-plate Clutch
Racing Flywheel
FC Suspension
S3 Tyres
Weight Reduction Stage 3
New Wheels (optional)

Suspension
Spring Rate: 8.5 / 9.0
Ride Height: 110 / 125
Bound: 4 / 4
Rebound: 8 / 8
Camber: 2.5 / 1.5
Toe: -2 / -2
Stabilizers: 1 / 2

Brake Controller
Brakes: 8 / 10

Transmission

Gear Ratios
1st: 2.935
2nd: 1.970
3rd: 1.480
4th: 1.180
5th: 0.962
Final Gear: 3.750

Autoset 13

Driving Aids

The brightest star in the GT-R sky until the introduction of the R34 Z-Tune was the mighty Nismo 400R born in 1996 as the ultimate R33 to celebrate the race track success of the R33 GT-R LM. Some might say that the resulting car was even better than the one it was made to honour, building on the strong points of the already capable R33 V-Spec.

Now, however, it's become time to take it back to the lights and show that newer isn't always better. The Nismo 600R has been born, doing the same to the 400R as the 400R did to the V-Spec. More power - especially to the high rev range - from a bigger turbo, an improved drivetrain to deliver the said power to the ground, and revisited suspension settings to keep it from flying off the road when the going gets serious. The exterior changes were kept to the minimum as there was little to change, the tin can shape of the LM edition wasn't all that attractive. One thing that unfortunately remains is the more or less ridiculous redline of the RBX-GT2 engine, it's purely a cosmetic thing and the "useful redline" can be found at the same 8000 rpm as in the normal RB26DETT. The engine graph tells everything you need to know about it.

Oh, and for those who have been around since the original GT... you know the amount of work it took to get this car back then. This time it took about the same amount of work to make it handle but the legend deserved it.

Wow :eek: Grey, you made me smile :P .. I waited for the release of this car, I always let it untuned, because I hoped you'll upload a setup for this car and.. huh.. I don't know what to say, I'm just happy :) .. Sadly that my GT4 doesn't work :( ..

Go on this way, buddy 👍 ;)

S-Line Audi Fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back