Formula 1 2009: The Launch Season

• Thread starter Metar
  • 601 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I don't really like the new looks so much, I love the technical look the complex aero packages generated. Whereas the new package looks much simpler and retro. So in an odd sort of way they look cool and I don't really mind about the changes because if it makes the racing more exciting then i am all for it.

The BTCC cars of old look cool and was fun to watch, if these cars look half as cool and half as cool and half as fun to watch then it should be a great season with the added bonus of being 'really fast' :dopey: Just thought I'd through in an extra does of subjective there yano :D

The height of the rear wing is more noticable in this photo, as Massa takes the new F2009 for his first run in the car at Mugello...

_45367451_af2b8598-e613-4b2a-b4dd-d3c32af58e03.jpg

From here...

Those wing mirrors look like an 'interesting' interpretation on the 2009 aero regs.

However, I thought tobacco branding was banned for 2009 ...

Wheres the tobacco branding on that car? Those white bar code stripes are the Ethad airways logo.

It’s boring. :indiff:

Normally at new car launches I spend hours going over every little detail but I’ve looked at this thing for 5 minutes and it’s just plain.

:(

Same, there just nothing interesting about it, its like looking back in time at a 90's F1 car if you ignored the sponsorship... I really think taking a step backwards was a big mistake, the cars looked excellent with all the crazy aero all over them. Also am I right in thinking that this is the only sport which has gone backwards in terms of machine development?

Robin.

Not bad looking. I like the F2008 a lot more, much lower rear and wider rear wing makes it look tougher than the 09 car. I do like the slick tyres on the new car, but rear wing looks weird.

Your face reflecting? :D

Anyway, I can't wait for the footage from Massa's helmet cam.

Yeah, if it weren't for the too-tall and too-slender rear wing (they're part of the rules), and those weird "periscope" mirrors, the Ferrari F60 is actually quite nice-looking without all the additional slits, cuts, appendages, and barge-boards of the past 7-8 years.

The car looks terrible IMO. I guess it will grow on me over the season but as of now I hate it, it looks like some sort of cheap toy car made by some company that didnt get the rights to make a full model.

As for the wing uprights (barge boards) another sign of Ferrari bending rules beyond breaking point.

The rear wing looks more and more awful the more I look at it. They should´ve gone for a one element, full width GT-style wing instead. I know, it´s for "cleaner air behind the car", but man... I really want to see how that turns out though. I have a feeling the full width front wing will take away some of the expected effect in a drafting situation.

the best one ever was 'BE ON EGDE' on the Hondas!

Or even the Jordans?

Not as bad as I expected. I think I'll get used to the looks of the new regulations over time.

No number on the car this year though - could they not bear to put a 3 on it?

As for the wing uprights (barge boards) another sign of Ferrari bending rules beyond breaking point.

All the F1 teams try to gain an advantage by bending the rules - that's hardly a Ferrari-only trait.

Ferrari F60:​

47193_3-4_2009.jpg

47196_profilo_dx_2009.jpg

47195_fronte_2009.jpg

47194_alto_2009.jpg

Notable:
  • "Victory Laurels" celebrating the 2008 WCC on the side of the airbox.
  • Externally-mounted mirrors in order to create flow-conditioners similar to last year's sidepod shields.

Other than that... Looks like the "simple" look was achieved - nothing interesting whatsoever. I will always remember the day I spent discussing BMW's F1.08 with Blake - now that was a car: Complicated, messy, interesting.

It's weird to see how the car body actually shapes up around the gearbox/engine with no aero flicks and wings obscuring the view. Certainly, curvateous. lol

:yuck:
The old one looks so much more technical and aggressive, this one looks much more annorexic.

That front wing is practically sitting upside down in the gravel detcatched from felipe massa's car at turn1, albert park already.

Ferrari F60 - High-resolution details:

Front wing:
GURNEYFLAP2.jpg

Front wing, side-view:
f60b.jpg

Front wing detail + endplates and adjustable bit:
dcd0912ja03.jpg

Mirror-shields, 3/4s view:
fr.jpg

Front nosecone, turning-vanes and suspension:
dcd0912ja03b.jpg

Rear bodywork, wing and suspension, top-view:
dcd0912ja02.jpg

Rear bodywork and sponsors, side-view:
f60.jpg

Rear shot in action, note the diffuser:
djm0912ja02.jpg

the car looks great. I love the clean look. I didn't realise just how rediculous the previous f1 cars looked. Can't wait to go to albert park this year!

I really think taking a step backwards was a big mistake, the cars looked excellent with all the crazy aero all over them. Also am I right in thinking that this is the only sport which has gone backwards in terms of machine development?
Robin.

How is it going backwards? Just because they are cleaner cars with less wing nonsense on them, doesn't mean the are less technical. In fact, the technical aspect is even more alive with KERS developments. To this point, most of the "developments" were more like refinements. The new regs pose gigantic technical, engineering, and developmental challenges.

Because it removes the technical challenge of modifying and manipulating airflow to the fullest degree. These rules only pose one challenge - KERS - and that challenge is laughably easy, since 2009-spec F1 KERS is neutered and restricted to death. A few teams will struggle, but by Melbourne, most of the teams (Toyota, for example, not) will have KERS running at nearly the maximum allowed power. BMW and McLaren already reached near-peak performance in the last test.

Effectively, the 2009 rules mandate a car that's even less complicated than the late-'90s cars. The simple fact is that in F1, simpler is backwards. Bodywork, with the tangential curve radius rule, is effectively "locked in" and there's barely room to maneuver. 50% of the front wing is spec-mandated, and the rest is highly restricted as well. The rear wing received additional restrictions, and the diffusers are now forced to be simpler. Engines can't get improved much (if at all), gearboxes have reached their peak (can't shift faster than no time at all, right? And the minimum weight is mandated, and maximum gears has been reached), tyres are spec-supplied, ECUs and electronics are regulated, and there's not much to improve with the brakes, either (they're already nearly fade-free, weigh next to nothing, and produce more force than the tyres can handle) - so what remains?

To this point, we had open areas where teams could truly innovate. Even if we consider just the cars of the last decade, which were already very restricted:

First we had engines rising in power and revs, producing a mind-boggling 1000hp from the 3l V10s, then 780hp (and touching 800) in the 2.4l V8s. Now what? After restricting them to 19kRPM and nearly no changes, they're now further regulated to a puny 18kRPM, and will be replaced by spec-engines - perhaps as early as next season.

Aerodynamics was an open field until now. While we had restrictions on dimensions, number of elements, "forbidden areas" and the likes, engineers were open to introduce new ideas. New ideas were implemented every season: From the curved new sidepods of the F2003GA and the unfortunate MP4/18, Renault's R25 cooling-gills, McLaren's bridge-wing, Ferrari's nose-hole, BMW's sidepod-shield connectors, and dozens of other new parts and ideas. Now, however, it's all pretty much dead: No special surfaces, specified dimensions and locations for everything, and only loopholes remain.

KERS is so tightly regulated and simplified that it won't provide a real challenge for the engineers after this winter break. By regulating maximum power, burst-length and energy stored, they've made it a neutered form of propulsion that will, at best, provide an extra two tenths - considering the extra weight at an unfavorable location (the Bridgestone tyres, and their slicks especially, perform better with a frontward weight bias - and KERS is heavy and in the rear).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back