Formula 1 2009: The Launch Season

• Thread starter Metar
  • 601 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't see how ANY of that is legal.....

No, really; I can't see it....Is it just me? :confused:
Of course it isn't! It's just a silhouette of a racing car; do you really think they're going to give away the surprise before the day?
is it just me or does it look like toyota is trying to build a new batmobile :crazy:
Well, Bruce Wayne id total the Tumbler in The Dark Knight.

...or THIS

Edit: I miss Catalunya's previous layout

Also...

Huge, format-breaking picture of doom

1 - Lengthened wingmounts to increase turning vein effect.
2 - New wishbone geometry compared to F2008 apparently for aerodynamic reasons and not for mechanical grip advantages.
3 - Odd shape extension on the sidepods cover the side-impact structure and/or aid aerodynamics.
4 - Smaller holes for cooling KERS.
5 - Exhaust cutouts much larger than pipe diameter to aid cooling.
6 - It's hard to find pictures of this, but Metar posted a good on-track photo of the rear on page 3 of this thread. This hole is gaping out the back, obviously for cooling.
7 - In order to maximize airflow to the now higher rear wing, the cross sectional area must be small. In order to maximize inlet airflow with the limited cross section, an ovular design was chosen.
8 - Vein/shield/mirror mounts. The reason is obivious - clever.
9 - No shark fin? I'm not sure why, but maybe the new rear wing doesn't favor it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ferrari F60

116941.jpg

116944.jpg

116943.jpg

116942.jpg

I like how they made the mirrors into pseudo-bargeboards.
Now that looks like a Formula One car! Very clean lines, and something that you'd expect results to come about as a product of a driver's skill, not of aero aids.
I think they did a good job on the car given what the 2009 regulations are. Though the eye-strainer of a rear wing will take a bit of getting used to.:boggled::odd: :embarrassed:

Those wheel covers have GOT TO GO! Otherwise, that's a great looking thing!
Sort of another way of saying hubcaps, you think?:confused:

G.T
I was expecting a more drastic change, but I suppose the cleaner look makes the car look a lot better than before.

But still, the real question is how they perform...
We'll see come time for Melbourne.;)

Notable:
  • "Victory Laurels" celebrating the 2008 WCC on the side of the airbox.
A.K.A. Bulls-eyes for the other teams contending for the Constructors title.:D Also, any idea if something in a similar vein will be done for Lewis Hamilton winning last years Drivers Championship be it on his car or helmet?

Roo
Anyway, I can't wait for the footage from Massa's helmet cam.
Looks like they chose better placement for this one, as the view is much better than from below DC's visor.
True, with DC's camera, the main object in view was the steering wheel... Provided for an interesting view of the crash, though.
I think DC's camera was more true to what the driver sees, although I do prefer the Massacam view.
No way, probably below the visor for DC, and above it for Massa. Neither of which is "true", but the ability to see the track is favorable as far as coverage is concerned.
I remember seeing a couple of ChampCar and IRL races on ESPN a few years ago where they had a few of the drivers have a camera the size of a lipstick tube on the inside of the drivers helmet right next to the eye. I believe darkfinal's YouTube link provides a good example of what I'm talking about....

THIS is what the drivers see:
As long as the TV crews get the horizontal angle level and correct, this would - in my opinion - be the best helmet cam view to use. Agreed?:)

Has anyone else noticed how Toyota's site lists the wrong time if you have it oen for too long? It doesn't tick over on the second; rather it takes a little bit longer, about 1.2 ... I had it open an hour ago an it said there was still 90 minutes until the launch; it was fifiteen minutes out (I've had it open pretty much all day to see how slow it is).

I also applaud Ferrari for those mirrors, its very innovative 👍

also 12 mins 05 seconds till the TF109 release :D

and there web master is asleep at the helm.all i get is the same page but instead of the count down clock i get the date and 12:00 CET. come on its 6 am here i want to see the car :'(

man, that site must be getting hammered right now :ill:

im in the middle of loading the picture section and no luck so far

I wish Toyota would change their livery a bit more. Sure, consistency is good and all in making the cars identifiable, but I'm struggling to spot the physical changes to the car. I keep seeing last year's contender.

Anyway, so far the main difference between the TF109 and the F60 is that there's defiantely more of an upward curve to the Toyota's nose cone. The fins connecting the front wing to the actual cone are much longer than the Ferrari's. There also appears to be more of a scallop to the back section - where the red streak is broken by the black of the exhaust (I think) - than on the Ferrari. The front wing is different, too; no plates pointing back inwards.

There was talk that teams may be able to field a third car that was ineligible for points as a means of making up the difference on the grid with the demise of Honda (but only one source reported it as far as I can tell, Honda's bailout seems to have put paid to that anyway), and there has also been some speculation that Toyota's paymasters don't like the fact that Jarno Trulli is so expensive and yet is not giving the team results (he's the best qualifier on the grid, but sadly lacking in the race department), and so Kamui Kobayashi might get a promotion to a race seat because he's cheaper and he's a Japanese national who would be driving for a Japanese team (Nakajima doesn't have that quality; Williams might have Toyota powerplants, but Sir Frank is British).

However, all of that is speculation and may or may not contrain traces of fact. Most likely Toyota are just giving Kobayashi the same treatment as their race drivers, even if he is filling in the test driver's role.

I actually quite like that Toyota now, First time I looked I thought "Eww, got one of those silly front ends like the old BMW Williams. ie Shark thing" but having studied it abit more in detail, I like it.

219dn2h.jpg

That looks like a freaking toy car! It's an antenna away from having a "full-size RC car" look.

Some guy called Sébastien Buemi has joined STR from Trust Team Arden in GP2. And he only finished 6th last season! Where do you reckon Giorgio Pantano is going? He won the GP2, so he should be going to F1 again.

Though GP2 is a great place to spot F1 talent, it differs greatly from F1. Buemi got his spot because of his performance in an F1 car. A good rank in GP2 doesn't mean anything in F1.

Also, Buemi's spot was established here a good bit ago.

For the record, Piquet challenged L. Friggin' Hamilton for the GP2 title. That's how big the difference can be.

For the record, Piquet challenged L. Friggin' Hamilton for the GP2 title. That's how big the difference can be.

Yup, some drivers can cut F1 and some just cannot, regardless of their previous racing history.

It's a difference that should grow smaller now, though. One of Piquet's greatest troubles was adjusting to the completely different type of tyre used in F1 - and it's speculated that his driving on slicks is much better.

Looks brilliant from the side view. It will be interesting to see what the mclaren looks like and where best to see Hamilton break parts of his car :mischievous:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back