Lion's Den Performance - Widest Variety of Tunes on the Web

• Thread starter Paulie
  • 1,072 comments
Yep, I'd say QLD has bigger storms too. But we've had some massive storms here too, pretty scary at times.

Oh, btw, I cranked up the max turn angle on my Skyline Sedan to 50 to try and compensate for its weak steering.

Yep, I'd say QLD has bigger storms too. But we've had some massive storms here too, pretty scary at times.

Yay for Australia.:cheers: At least we don't have much threat from tornados/twisters and earthquakes etc. Not that we don't ever get them, but they're very very rare and often rather minimal.

Yep, We had a blackout for 9 days in O6. Luckily we were on holidays in Cairns.:D. We should be posting this in the weather thread, not the TLD tuning garage.:lol:

TLD/JCW Mini Cooper GTS
(164kw) (253Nm) (1014kg) (550 PP)

mini_cooper_jcw_1_x.jpg

Performace:

Power: +25
Weight: 86%
Tyres: R1

Settings:

Suspension:
Ride Height: -30/-30
Spring Rate: 8/3
Damper: 3/1
Toe: 0/-0.30
Camber: 0.7/0.5

Brake Balance: 5/8

Max Turn Angle: 45

All Driving Aids Turned off, except ABS set on 1 (Driving aids are inevitably up to the driver)

Gear Ratios:
1st: 3.758
2nd: 2.310
3rd: 1.275
4th: 1.089
5th: 1.333
6th: 1.186
Final: N/A

Description: Word going around is that the coming MiTo GTA from Alfa Romeo is going to leave the JCW Mini in the dust, and so looking to maintain a top dog performance edge, John Cooper's team have enlisted the help of The Lion's Den to give their Mini something special. With 23kw extra power and considerably less weight, coupled with track suspension, gearbox, tyres and brakes, give it something special we did. Problem now is, TLD eagerly awaits getting our hands on a MiTo GTA as well, and applying some of our expertise to it as well.

Tracks Tuned for/on:
Suzuka
Note- Same suspension setup likely anywhere else, just the Final drive ratio would need changing from track to track

Tuner's Notes:
Yes I'm aware the gearbox numbers are incorrect, must be a another glitch in the game
I'd say rev it to fuel cut-out, but it's right where the red-line begins anyway so I guess everyone will do just that. Instead, I'll say be careful of hitting the limiter, pretty easy to do in this car

Last edited:
I will be using this tune tomorrow. I'll report back and do a little mini review.

I will be using this tune tomorrow. I'll report back and do a little mini review.

Oh the hilarity.:P:lol: I'll post my RX-8 tomorrow as well assuming I have clear weather and electricity.

Ah...for sometime I have wanted a tune for this...I love it because it has that supercharger whine in the game...epic stuff. Hey, do you thing we could get a mini cup going like the Aussie series?

Ok, I see what I've typed.:lol:

I was having trouble with understeer today, hopefully your tune doesn't understeer like mine. My gears were terrible too, but my gear ratios are always terrible.:lol:

Out of curiosity, what does everyone think of the names I give my cars?

Ah...for sometime I have wanted a tune for this...I love it because it has that supercharger whine in the game...epic stuff. Hey, do you thing we could get a mini cup going like the Aussie series?

I don't know, but for this week only if you head to the Weekly Race Series forum you'll notice they're having online races for fun in this car. If you mean an actual championship though, I guess we could- But I wouldn't be organising it.:P

Hey Mad, this is where I go to put up reviews. I do a few for Blitz Tuning and he links them to here....you could do the same if you wanted. If you read them, look for later ones...first ones are not so good - everyone was new to the idea.

..and Paulie...I would personally name them a TLD special (or something) instead of giving them individual names that correspond with other cars of the same brand.....but no one's stopping you

I'd prefer if reviews of TLD cars were posted in this thread.:)

Edit: I just want to make some comments on the RX-8 here. It's a funny car where its strength is also its weakness and vice versa. You see, at high rpm where it makes all its power it can be rather loose, but at low rpm (doesn't have to be too low either) it is gutless, but this makes the handling planted and good. It also makes hotlapping and lap times in general rather random, because if you can hold that extra bit of speed you'll be in the power band quicker and you'll accelerate away much faster. Brake too late for one corner and the resultant low rpm/speed can cost you up to half a second.:crazy: That said though, for the avant driver it's consistently quick.

Last edited:
Paulie I've been free lapping this Mini and I still cant get the bloody thing to turn in. Can you give it any more bite up front. I see there's not too much camber on it, would that help?

Or am I just asking to much of a FWD, being a RWD tragic?

Paulie I've been free lapping this Mini and I still cant get the bloody thing to turn in. Can you give it any more bite up front. I see there's not too much camber on it, would that help?

I don't have problems with turn-in, the less brake pressure you apply the better it will turn in.

I will investigate changing the brake balance, but it is true that RWD cars generally seem to turn-in much better than all else.

My personal tune has some front toe-out, 4/9 brakes and rear S3s ... turn-in is, um, 'enthusiastic'.

Side note: Are the gearbox numbers really incorrect? IIRC, this thing has a goofy dual-final-drive box like a modern Golf.

My personal tune has some front toe-out, 4/9 brakes and rear S3s ... turn-in is, um, 'enthusiastic'.

Side note: Are the gearbox numbers really incorrect? IIRC, this thing has a goofy dual-final-drive box like a modern Golf.

Event regulations stipulate that we use R1 tyres only.

I don't know about the gearbox thing, I really have no idea.

lol metalhead suggested to me that we collaborate on a 599 tune... weird, but we could give it a shot. he suggested i do power, weight, and gears, and you do handling. what do you think?

lol metalhead suggested to me that we collaborate on a 599 tune... weird, but we could give it a shot. he suggested i do power, weight, and gears, and you do handling. what do you think?

I think I don't see the point, as even gears should work with the rest of the tune.

TLD Mazda RX-8 Shuriken​
(222kw) (254Nm) (1113kg) (550 PP)

mazda_rx8_2009_black_car_1.jpg

Performance:

Power: +5
Weight: 85%
Tyres: S3

Settings:

Suspension:
Ride Height: -30/-28
Spring Rates: 5/4
Damper: 4/2
Toe: -0.12/+0.20
Camber: 1.3/1.0

Brake Balance: 5/7

Max Turn Angle: 45

All driving aids are up to driver, tuned with all aids off except ABS on 1

Gear Ratios:
1st: 3.396
2nd: 2.123
3rd: 1.569
4th: 1.285
5th: 1.074
6th: 0.905
Final: 4.660 4.338

Description: It's a commonly accepted fact that the RX-8 is softer, uglier (by miles) and slower than its predecessor. While we can't help the hideous looks, we can sure as hell help the performance. This special addition RX-8 is very quick, even if it isn't the most driveable due to a horrible power pand.

Tracks Tuned For/On:
Fuji Speedway
Suzuka

Tuner's Notes:
Turns 2 and 3 should be done in 4th gear.
The infield hairpin in 3rd gear.
Tiny bit of lift-off oversteer you might be able to use.
Very narrow power band, rev it right to the cut-out, big spins = big grins

Last edited:
Hi Paulie,

I just wanted to thank you for your outstanding tune for the 650 pp
R35/Suzuka. I just finished running it at the Daytona Road 650 expert
race and for the first time I flirted with a 1:48" lap. I was running 1:50 flats and low 1:49's. That car is just awesome with your setup :bowdown:

At all the important places--turn 1, the long, slow unwinding right-hander in the infield, and the bus stop--the car behaves like a RWD :) with little to no unwanted wheelspin 👍 And perhaps best of all, the gearbox/engine tune provides the already sporty lump with plenty of grunt (as Steve Matchett would say::lol:) for the long full-throttle sections of the oval--I was racing a GT-LM Test Car and outpacing it on the straignts!:)

As a pad user who struggles to find manageable setups for some of the beasts in GT5P, many thanks for this great tune, and keep up the great work.
I'm sure I will be trying out many of your other tunes in the near future.

Cheers :cheers:

Hi Paulie,

I just wanted to thank you for your outstanding tune for the 650 pp
R35/Suzuka. I just finished running it at the Daytona Road 650 expert
race and for the first time I flirted with a 1:48" lap. I was running 1:50 flats and low 1:49's. That car is just awesome with your setup :bowdown:

At all the important places--turn 1, the long, slow unwinding right-hander in the infield, and the bus stop--the car behaves like a RWD :) with little to no unwanted wheelspin 👍 And perhaps best of all, the gearbox/engine tune provides the already sporty lump with plenty of grunt (as Steve Matchett would say::lol:) for the long full-throttle sections of the oval--I was racing a GT-LM Test Car and outpacing it on the straignts!:)

As a pad user who struggles to find manageable setups for some of the beasts in GT5P, many thanks for this great tune, and keep up the great work.
I'm sure I will be trying out many of your other tunes in the near future.

Cheers :cheers:

Thanks for the comments and using my tunes.👍 It's been a long time since I made that car, I haven't even touched an R35 in yonks.:crazy::lol: So I take it you had to make the gearbox longer to run at Daytona Road? So long as you only used Final drive to do it.:) Thanks again.👍

Edit: What about the tyres? Surely S2 isn't the fastest combo out there?

Paulie, your tune for WRS 20 in the Mini is spendid. The car is an absolute joy to drive with this tune, and I nearly aced my lap apart from a few mistakes. About to go try again with the new brakes.

Excellent tune, thanks a lot Paulie. Keep up the fantastic work 👍

Paulie, your tune for WRS 20 in the Mini is spendid. The car is an absolute joy to drive with this tune, and I nearly aced my lap apart from a few mistakes. About to go try again with the new brakes.

Excellent tune, thanks a lot Paulie. Keep up the fantastic work 👍

No worries nicko, glad I could be of help.:) Although I was kind of hoping my tune would be splendid, but if it doesn't deserve the 'l', then I'll have to try harder next time!:lol:

Monday nights is S3 tyres isn't it? Should I just add weight to the car to bring the PP back up?

I never released this tune for Monday nights, I released it for GTP's Weekly Race Series 20, and before that even by request from another driver.

Great WRS 20 Mini tune Paulie, I just can't fault it. The car has almost no understeer, it is stable and most importantly fast and easy to drive.

The handling is just fantastic, I can brake very late into turn 1 and still have no trouble making the corner. It does have a little bit of lift off oversteer which is nice to have for the esses in a FWD car. I'm able to get the front end to 'bite' through every corner on the track which means I can get onto the noisy pedal faster. Therefore, more exit speed from corners.

Speed-wise, here are my splits I've managed in the WRS:

T1: 59.026
T2: 1'50.048

I think there is a bit more left too, I've seen a 58.9xx to T1 and i've seen a 1'49.8xx to T2 but only to bugger up the casio chicane.:indiff:

Overall, fast and easy to drive. Well done Paulie, you really nailed this tune.👍 9.5/10.

Thanks for the comments and using my tunes.👍 It's been a long time since I made that car, I haven't even touched an R35 in yonks.:crazy::lol: So I take it you had to make the gearbox longer to run at Daytona Road? So long as you only used Final drive to do it.:) Thanks again.👍

Edit: What about the tyres? Surely S2 isn't the fastest combo out there?

Actually, I think you would be pleased to know that the gearbox worked extremely well and I wasn't even that close to redlining entering turn 1.
I didn't change the gear settings you provided by even one tooth.
Now, I'm not that great of a driver, and I know I'm losing chunks of time in the bus stop:banghead:, so I may not have been carrying as many RPM's onto the full-throttle section as the better racers. That may be why I still had a bit of 6th gear left entering turn 1. Also, I only ran this setup for the one race last night, and I was racing 1 on 1 with another driver in a GT LM spec II, so I wasn't really as aggressive drafting as I otherwise might have been. I think if you were planning on using the draft, you might need to lengthen the final gear just a smidge. I also was struggling with my entry to turn 1, so I didn't want to get too close to the other driver in case I had issues in turn 1. This wasn't because of the setup, I was just struggling to find the right line/breaking point.

Obviously, I don't know what kind of setup the other driver had in the GT, but I think you would be pleased to know that your GT-R was indeed just a smidgen faster in a straight line than the GT--that's saying quite a bit considering how heavy the GT-R is in comparison to the Ford.

Also, obviously, I am not a very adept tuner. At best, I can sometimes make small changes to the suspension to help improve mechanical grip to make cars slightly more manageable, and I can sometimes change a specific gear to suit a certain corner, so take what I am saying with a grain of salt. But, seriously, I don't think many changes would need to be made to your tune for the R 35 in order for it run just as well--if not better--at Daytona as it does at Suzuka.

I think you probably need a more skilled driver to test out this tune and see what they think. Obviously, my idea of a fast lap in this car at Daytona (a 1:48 and change :lol:) is not anywhere close to the 1:46 range I have seen posted in this car by some of the other GTP racers. And, as far as the tyres, I haven't had a chance to try out another combo yet. I would say that S3's would obviously be quicker through the infield and bus stop, but I wonder if I would be sacrificing too much straight line speed? Probably not. I guess with a minor gearing adjustment, assuming you could keep within drafting distance of the leader, an S3 setup would be quicker.

At any rate, I can't thank you enough for this older, great tune.
It just goes to show that a great tune is like a thing of beauty..it is a joy forever :) Tunes like yours give a guy like me a fighting chance.

Thanks again Paulie 👍

Last edited:
Back