Mad FinnTuners Co.™ - Finished 301010 with GT-Rdammerung - BIG THANKS everyone!

• Thread starter Greycap
  • 3,787 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
While I admit that it's not the prettiest, I still think that it's Toyota Boxster. it's small, cute, girly, yet has plenty of performance for a car of it's size.

mafia_boy - If it's a slow track, you'll win as you have more power to pull out of corners. If it's a fast track, you'll win as you have more power to keep going. If it's a track with long 3rd and 4th gear corners, I'll disappear into the horizon. :P

MinoltaMan89 - As much as I tried to make the MX-5 fast it shouldn't have a chance on too many areas. Perhaps a bit more balanced and slightly more power in the high rev range but other than that the Toyota is untouchable.

Hey :D my first post here.

Anyway, I’d like to give my opinion on the MX-5 and MR2.

The MR2 is everything you’d expect it to be. Being mid-engined with downforce it is what it is, basically a race car. It has a ton of grip when turning into a corner like a mid-engine car should have. I like the car, and I’m not just saying that to be polite. It is easy to control and if you stick to the racing lines it is fast, but I have to pick faults with it. The car doesn’t always seem like it wants to cooperate. I can slide it around all day long if I want too, but it requires faster reactions than I’d prefer to control in that sort of situation. It just seems that once you get this car unsettled it takes a lot of work to get it settled again. But then with so much downforce I imagine it wasn’t meant to be driven sideways in the first place. So it is a car that does what it is meant to do well, and that is all it needs to do with as much grip as it has.

Being a huge fan of the MX-5, impressing me with one is probably difficult. First thing I noticed was first gear is way too long. I could dump the clutch at 4,500 RPM and the car still makes like it is going to stall, which is probably not helped by the massive turbocharger. Handling wise this is a cleaver setup. It’ll slide ever so slightly through the corners you want it to during a race, and it is much easier to control while drifting than the MR2. That being said I am impressed. I’m not one to use much--if any--downforce on my street legal cars, but this car makes good use of it. It’ll still slide around and when you want it to it’ll go around a track like a race car should.

And (hopefully you guys don't mind) I put together a little .gif of my drive with Grey's MX-5.

First thing I noticed was first gear is way too long. I could dump the clutch at 4,500 RPM and the car still makes like it is going to stall, which is probably not helped by the massive turbocharger.

The solution? Dial in 7000 rpm and off we go! :dopey:

Seriously though, yes, it is too tall. So is the second. The first gear is as it is because there has to be some way to get it out of hairpins without shifting while still turning, and the second gear because otherwise the "driving gears" would be too widely spaced, robbing the engine of valuable power. It needs a six speed gearbox but it can't get one. About the handling, well, it would be a tough job to screw an MX-5 up so badly that it wasn't balanced anymore. I can't really take much pride in it seeing that the base car was a good handler already.

Ah, I get what you were after. Awkward still, but I suppose if anyone had a problem with it it could be changed easily enough. You should give yourself some credit for the handling of the MX-5 though. Sure there's many ways to get it right, but there's many ways to get it wrong too.

Interesting to see that the MX-5 has a spoiler that changes colour between photos!

Might give these a shot depending on time later on this week...

I've messed around with Miata's enough that I'm just tired of them, but I've only messed with the MR-S once, and yours looks close to what mine was, I'll be sure to test it out when I get the time since I know first-hand how nimble they can be 👍

Have fun. personally I think that I managed to tame the stock cars tendency to understeer pretty nicely.

Toyota MR-SC TRD'02 - Review
Way, way, way back when MFT hadn’t been created, like month’s before, I had been working on a dark green MR-S with a goal of setting a record at Tsukuba Circuit for that car. Naturally aspirated, Race tires, Wing, and fully prep’d chassis, it was the fastest MR I had at the time. Eventually I sold it to make room for new cars and fund a new exhaust for my red Evo 1.

Now that MFT has released one, the memories of my old one are coming back, the excellent braking, light-weight and responsive handling, and how it just seemed to look better with a wing, I wanted to see what MFT had done with it, especially since they implemented a Supercharger when mine was N/A.

First test track, Infineon’s Sport Car Course, heading out on the track and rounding the hairpin before the main straight, the car showed responsive braking and turn-in, with neutral handling through the entire corner. Coming out of that exit, I pin’d the pedal to the floor and the engine made a wonderful, crisp, make you go “ooOOhhh!” sound all the way to redline, made the shift, and the engine purred again, clearly liking the Supercharger and ‘massage’ work of MFT. Heading under the bridge going up the hill, the car showed excellent torque production, all of which the car had no trouble putting down to the road.

After a few laps around the course, I honestly had trouble finding a fault with the car, I mean there was just nothing to complain about, the car always followed the line you wanted. I took it from Infineon to Suzuka and then to Autumn ring, and couldn’t find an issue, but I did start pondering one thing, the amount of downforce the car had, “was it too much ?, is it even necessary ?”.
Before I left Autumn Ring, I decided to test the car without its downforce to see how much of an influence it had, and the results were somewhat interesting. Without downforce, the car was just as quick around the course with about the same degree of handling, the only difference was an increase in ‘scrub’ understeer, or basically not full understeer, but without weight out front, the tires just had a tendency to ‘scrub’ or ‘skim’ across the pavement, they would grip, but not as they should.

What I think this shows is that the amount of downforce the car has is a little too much, and that something in the 10/15-15/20 range would be enough to let the car’s tires grip, but not aerodynamically drag the car down on the straight’s.

Other than that, I think the car is much like the Arial Atom, it has no flaws, follows the line you trace out without any issues, it’s also effectively Supercharged and light weight, and more than likely the closest to perfection than any of the other tuned MR-S’s out there, well done guys 👍.

Thank you Kurei, for the excellent, well detailed and long review! I was pretty certain that you would find this MR-SC of mine very pleasing, since it basically removes the biggest flaw of the car: the lack of torque. Now it has plenty of grunt on any rev range, as you noticed, and the driving is smoother when you don't need to go down to second or third gear. Just floor it and she goes on and on like Duracell-bunny. Although, I sort of agree with the downforce-thing you said, I also disagree. I did test various downforce levels and noticed that with my driving style, especially light and agile car like this, I could go WOT really deep into the corner thanks to the generous front downforce. And as soon as I stepped on the brake and steered, the weight shift took over generating the necessary grip to clear the corner. I was actually certain that the MX-5 would be faster.. it probably would had been if Greycap wouldn't had insisted on his high end power and torque. :P Each to their own, I suppose. :D

I was actually certain that the MX-5 would be faster.. it probably would had been if Greycap wouldn't had insisted on his high end power and torque. :P Each to their own, I suppose. :D

I think it actually would've been faster if he used the 1.8L like your MR-S is and not the inferior 1.6L Leo. ;)

I'm still eyeing that MX-5 RS-R Limited to go for a SRC against my RS-R and having someone put them head to head. Everytime I see it I want to just smash it with a club!! :mischievous::D

Indeed, but we did try out the 1.8 model, and it was far superior in terms of performance. In case you haven't noticed yet, we try to make pairs that are balanced against each other, at least on paper. Greycap's MX-5 has more power and torque to compensate the higher weight, and it didn't lose by large margin as you can see.. Besides, it was about a time that my car was faster than his for a change.. :sly:

Indeed, but we did try out the 1.8 model, and it was far superior in terms of performance. In case you haven't noticed yet, we try to make pairs that are balanced against each other, at least on paper.
I know that it's always one theme, two cars. ;)

Leonidae
Besides, it was about time that my car was faster than anyone else's for a change.. :sly:

Fixed the quote for you Leo. :P:lol: God, I love just being pure evil. :D:mischievous:

But seriously mate, it looks like a great combination of hairdresser cars from you two to come out with and I'll test the MR-S to see how it shapes up to my RS-R aswell. 👍

it probably would had been if Greycap wouldn't had insisted on his high end power and torque. :P Each to their own, I suppose. :D
Do I really have to, once again, remind you of a certain black car with a high end engine that decimated your Gunmetal Grey counterpart race after race with 75 Nm less and lacking one gear? :sly:

Yours was purpose built by in-house tuner arm that was far superior from the box. Mine was home-bred with sweat, blood and tears in the mix. :P

So do you guys think you will start a tuner garage in GT5:P just to get the hang of the new physics? Or are you guys going to wait for the real deal somewhere next year?

Probably not. IMHO, the GT5P Physics still have room for improvement, and since the suspension and drivetrain aren't fully adjustable, we couldn't achieve our performance goals yet. Also, some cars have false data (Ferrari California's weight, anyone? should be 1750kg.. locked final gear ratios, lack of sway bars and diff adjustments..) So no. I believe that greycap agrees with me, we shall wait until full game before moving on from GT4..

besides, we want to give other tunerhouses some head start so there would be some challenge for us. :sly:

Funny fact: we will soon pass Ducks tuner thread in the amount of visitors.

besides, we want to give other tunerhouses some head start so there would be some challenge for us. :sly:

See, but we're giving you the head start ;)

You guys at least have GT5P. Myself, Roj, Mafs, shoman, Lucas, D, and a few others all lack PS3s in the first place as it is now :P

In fact, isn't Paulie the only one to really have jumped ship on GT4?

I do have GT5P, BUT.. I don't play it too often. I do play some, but then the lack of tuning option starts to irritate me and I leave it alone again and start playing HAWX for example.

It's not the physics that keeps me away from GT5P, it's the overall lack of content in the game. 70 cars doesn't cut it, no matter if one car needs several setups for different PP races or not. It gives about as wide of a scope for the tuner as GT Concept and I don't think anybody would take a GTC tuner garage seriously.

Shedding some light on our next releases, there will be a pair of cars that very few people care about for races that very few people care about. But those who do care are in for a big surprise.

Oh yes, they're indeed interesting. They both share the engine, but his car prefers open places and mine likes tighter spots.

Mitsubishi Pajero Dakar Raid '85

404 bhp, 473 Nm, 1202 kg

Clickable for full size

Parts to fit:
Turbo Kit Stage 3
Dirt / Snow Tyres
Oil Change

Suspension
Spring Rate: 6.0 / 5.0
Ride Height: 210 / 220
Bound: 4 / 7
Rebound: 6 / 8
Camber: 2.0 / 1.5
Toe: -1 / -1
Stabilizers: 2 / 4

Brake Controller
Brakes: 5 / 5

Transmission

Note: First, reset the gearbox to the default settings, then set the Auto setting, and only then set the gear ratios.

Gear Ratios
1st: 2.885
2nd: 2.020
3rd: 1.535
4th: 1.230
5th: 1.017
Final Gear: 4.400

Autoset 9

LSD
Initial: 5 / 10
Acceleration: 15 / 30
Deceleration: 5 / 10

VCD
Variable Centre Differential: 30

Downforce
Amount: 13 / 18

Driving Aids
ASM Oversteer: 0
ASM Understeer: 0
TCS: 0

If I told you that I have an ancient off road SUV that can decimate WRC cars in my possession you'd think I'm nuts. Well, I am, but I also do have that SUV. Or actually I don't know if the term "SUV" was even in existence when this thing was constructed but... whatever.

This car doesn't obey the laws of physics, oh no. It should be on its side (or its roof) in every other corner but some magical force keeps it upright and going at breakneck speed. Maybe it's the same force that makes drunken people ride a bicycle as fast as they ever can, you don't have time to roll over when you have something better to do. The modifications under the hood mainly incorporated a larger hairdryer but simple is effective once again and the car leaps from the line with surprising ability. The suspension received minor adjustments - if it isn't broken, don't fix it - and as the result it indeed leaves most of the others out there eating the dust kicked up by its huge wheels. Around the full version of Cathedral Rocks this car managed 1'43 and change, only a second off the time of a 580 bhp RS200 driven by me. In other words, seriously fast. In a test run against the Super Evo rally car I was leading by some 35 seconds when the checkered flag called the fun to an end. Now THIS is a proper rally sleeper.

Reviews:

by AWDA
by stidriver

Last edited:
Mitsubishi Starion 4WD '84

607 bhp, 609 Nm, 1250 kg

Clickable for full size

Parts to fit:

Turbo Kit Stage 4
Dirt / Snow Tyres
Oil Change

Suspension
Spring Rate: 4.5 / 4.0
Ride Height: 140 / 160
Bound: 4 / 4
Rebound: 10 / 6
Camber: 3.5 / 1.0
Toe: -1 / -2
Stabilizers: 5 / 6

Brake Controller
Brakes: 3 / 13

Transmission

Note: First, reset the gearbox to the default settings, then set the Auto setting, and only then set the gear ratios.

Gear Ratios
1st: 2.775
2nd: 2.125
3rd: 1.620
4th: 1.258
5th: 0.900
Final Gear: 4.250

Autoset 5

LSD
Initial: 20/15
Acceleration: 40/15
Deceleration: 5/5

VCD
Variable Centre Differential: 27%

Downforce
Amount: 13 / 18

Driving Aids
ASM Oversteer: 0
ASM Understeer: 0
TCS: 0

The Mitsubishi Starion was one of the first Japanese turbocharged production vehicles. It was offered in two forms, with a normal and a widebody, and with multiple engine choices. Later, a 4WD version was introduced, and it did well in most events it entered. But just when Mitsubishi was about to enter to the most famous rally class ever, The legendary Group B, it was banned, and most powerful Starion never saw action. Luckily, you can now correct that.

Last edited:
Amazing cars, guys.. I love them.. I've a feeling that that Starios is evil 💡 Well, I think I've to find out myself :scared:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back