Mad FinnTuners Co.™ - Finished 301010 with GT-Rdammerung - BIG THANKS everyone!

• Thread starter Greycap
  • 3,787 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just remember to keep the revs high and you'll do just fine.. and don't be shy about using first gear in the corners.

That's an interesting note, seeing that I had the same problem when I first got the wheel. It felt like I could never turn the car enough, in time, or both. Or that countersteering was impossible.

The truth, however, is that you'll never need more than about half a turn of lock if you know even remotely what you're doing... during my testing of the Pajero I took it to Grand Canyon, Chamonix and Tahiti - the most twisty tracks out there - and I didn't have to change my grip (I generally drive with only the left hand on the wheel) of the wheel once. It's all about making the smallest possible move and the said approach also tends to make you faster as smoothness is the key in GT4 rallying, even more so than in tarmac driving.

Youre welcome... rallying with a wheel is more of believing than knowing in the beginning, the feedback tells you next to nothing about where the front wheels are heading relative to where the car is heading so you'll just have to believe you're making the right steering movements. You'll know soon enough if that wasn't the case though as you're headed into the wall. :P

I more than know my way around a rally car so I was quite excited to get to review these.

I wasn’t all that pleased with the Pajero. It is not to say it isn’t somehow good, just that it doesn’t seem as good as advertised. It handles okay, but I don’t like the powertrain. For starters the engine doesn’t have enough torque under 4,000 RPM. That is unavoidable, but the gearing makes the situation worse. Maybe the low final gear would work great for the dunes of the Dakar Rally, but I don’t think it made the best use of the torque on this game. Frequently I’d find myself accidentally slipping below 4,000 RPM in a second gear corner and have to scramble to first to stop the car from bogging and spinning. This turned Grand Canyon into a rev limiter fest. But--and I don’t know how--but it was fast. As fast as Leon’s Starion around Grand Canyon, and maybe as fast as the RS200 he spoke of, but not as fast as a super rally car. Put simply, I don’t like the gearing and the car is too difficult to drive.

The Starion, on the other hand, is a lot like Leon: far too 80’s for its own good (xP). The turbo takes its sweet time spooling up like in the Pajero, but unlike the Pajero it doesn’t bother me. I can drive this car without having to worry about what RPM I’m at. At first I thought it did have a rather nasty case of understeer, but that was easily solved by plus sizing my Scandinavian flicks. It is a trick to get this thing around a corner, but I’m willing to give it my stamp of approval. The only thing I could say that I think would make the car better is if the rear diff was further to lock to help put that power down.

Good work guys 👍

AWDA, those are some interesting notes! I'm willing to call lack of experience as the main reason to the trouble with the Pajero... and part of it is the way GT4 models wheelspin on dirt. The gearing is the way it is because I wanted some overlap in the hairpins which usually aren't even meant to be taken in the second gear. Yep, you read correctly. The first gear reaches speeds above those from which the second pulls well but here the wheelspin modelling comes into play. If you shift when hitting the limiter in the first gear for the first time it'll bog down... because there's a good deal of speed left in the gear. It doesn't feel all that smart when you're beating the limiter for a while but it's the way to make it go fast. You'll just have to know where the gear has really given all it has. And about beating the Super Rally Cars, I'd say it's capable of that - 1'43,2xx against 1'44,6xx of the Impreza WRC '03 around Cathedral Rocks I.

The Starion, on the other hand, is a lot like Leon: far too 80’s for its own good (xP).
I take that as a compliment. :sly:

The turbo takes its sweet time spooling up like in the Pajero, but unlike the Pajero it doesn’t bother me. I can drive this car without having to worry about what RPM I’m at.
That would be the short ratio gearbox. It barely goes up to 200km/h.

At first I thought it did have a rather nasty case of understeer, but that was easily solved by plus sizing my Scandinavian flicks. It is a trick to get this thing around a corner, but I’m willing to give it my stamp of approval. The only thing I could say that I think would make the car better is if the rear diff was further to lock to help put that power down.

Well, as most of the cars I've tuned, this one too relies heavily on ones ability to manage weight transfer. And as for the diff.. well, I tried more agressive differential, but that didn't help too much.

I take that as a compliment.

I'm glad lol you know I kid.

And about [the Pajero] beating the Super Rally Cars, I'd say it's capable of that - 1'43,2xx against 1'44,6xx of the Impreza WRC '03 around Cathedral Rocks I.

I suppose it is a matter of which car we're more familiar with. I drove three laps around Cathedral Rocks last night and my best time in the Impreza was 1:42.9. It may have been the first time I've taken that car to record times around Cathedral Rocks, but I practically sleep in the thing. No doubt that Pajero suits you if you can drive it so quickly, it just doesn't suit me.

Renault 5 Maxi Turbo II '85

548 bhp, 596 Nm, 905 kg

Clickable for full size

Parts to fit:
Turbo Kit Stage 3
R3 Tyres
Oil Change

Suspension
Spring Rate: 7.0 / 8.0
Ride Height: 130 / 140
Bound: 6 / 7
Rebound: 7 / 8
Camber: 2.5 / 2.0
Toe: -1 / 0
Stabilizers: 4 / 5

Brake Controller
Brakes: 6 / 7

Transmission

Note: First, reset the gearbox to the default settings, then set the Auto setting, and only then set the gear ratios.

Gear Ratios
1st: 2.388
2nd: 1.630
3rd: 1.240
4th: 1.000
5th: 0.820
Final Gear: 3.540

Autoset 10

LSD
Initial: 10
Acceleration: 30
Deceleration: 10

Downforce
Amount: 13 / 18

Driving Aids
ASM Oversteer: 0
ASM Understeer: 0
TCS: 0

For today I needed a car that would present everything my GT style is about. Time to make a list of the things needed. Let's see... a small car - check... more than enough power - check... rear wheel drive - check... preferably mid-engined - check... some downforce - check... racing tyres - check... killer handling, both in good and bad - check! On the road!

So here it is. One small car from the '80s that sums it all up. On the edge is the name of the game but it's undoubtedly rewarding to get the corners just right in a rolling terror like this. It's hard to believe that it decimated the twincharged Delta around GVS but it did, and it's not even the first time it did it. Certain few people saw it happen more than three years ago and the ugly duckling is among us again wreaking havoc with some serious style. Entering the corners in graceful slides, exiting them with the throttle wide open - the slow spooling turbo works wonders as a natural traction control - and shooting off towards the next twisties. This is what hot hatches are all about. The engineers never got the power figures quite on a par with the rest of the car's capabilities back then but fortunately we've been able to correct this shortcoming, hence "Turbo II".

Disclaimer: Do not, I repeat, do not try to rally it. Just don't.

Reviews:

by AWDA

Last edited:
Looks good Rene, I am indeed intrigued. My little Renault 5 Turbo Road car is cowering in fear! Great job!

S-Line Audi Fan - Don't know about the presentation or the idea but the car is indeed great. More or less my entire driving style on four wheels.

senamic - Well, I'd be surprised if it wasn't. :P

Wrong thread very much. But while we're at it I'd say that TCS isn't needed with those tyres and you would be better off with a Racing Suspension as you're not using that extreme values for ride height and stiffness. Fitting an LSD would also help with the wheelspin more than the TCS and have an added bonus of actually improving the handling.

double-facepalm.jpg

Perhaps you should had read the posts #1 and #11.. anyway, I agree with Greycap. Only Hondas that might need TCS are the ones that actually have power, such as S2K and NSX.

I know this Renault is built for your style so my opinion doesn't really matter, but I thought I'd try out this little bit of madness. First off just let me say that it is incredible that Grey could drive this thing so quickly. Though I've never liked Grey's gearing in the past, this car does need to be geared the way it is, so I do like the gearing.

Don't get me wrong here, the numbers do speak for themselves, this is a fast car and an even faster car in Grey's hands, but I don't like it. I'm a hard person to please however. Of course I never do like cars with big turbos because I like instant power and my traction control is my feet and the differential(s). It is hard to say more then "I don't like it" though because it might all come down to driving style. What is refined for Grey could very well just be a mass of nonsense to me. Which is kind of what this car was to me. I don't mind the oversteer (think my MX-5 review should show that :P), it is how the weight shifted around during the slides that bothered me. I can't say exactly what I didn't like about it, the weight just seemed like it was all over the place. It was like being in a car full of nuns poking me in the ribs, I could never decide which one is most annoying. So though this car may be perfect for Grey, it isn't as composed for me.

Thumbs up for that lap time though.

My review of the Mitsubishi Pajero Dakar Raid

I did most of my driving at Cathedral Rocks trail 1 with a quick stop at Tahiti Maze.
I like the brakes and chassis setting alot. I was able to rotate the Raid as much as is need in the slow/tight turn without it over rotating in the fast one's. Over the jump's I found it is very predictable. The only time it's not is at the extreme angles. The brakes work will on the tarmac and the dirt. I did find the gearing of the middle gears to be off. Putting the Pajero out of the engine's powerband. With the setting a listed I was running in the 1'41.5xx at CRT1. I made same change's the gearing and dropped the lap time into the 1'40.8's. Here are my change's to gearing.
2nd: 2.100
3rd: 1.646
4th: 1.274
The quick spot at Tahiti maze I found the gearing to be off and the Raid's trail end to lively causing me to spin-out alot.
Overall this is a very nice car for Cathedral Rocks trail 1/2 and should be good at Swiss Alps also. Thanks for the drive Graycap. 👍:)

Last edited:
AWDA - OK, so someone was nuts enough to try that beast out. Saying that it's not composed for you may just be closer to the truth than you realize... it's not all that stable for me either but the reason to that instability is minimizing the hesitation to turn under all circumstances. If it's unstable but fast I can live with it, if it's stable but slow I won't bother because it won't do as a race car then. And the instability is probably built in to my driving style as those seem to be the cars I perform best with.

stidriver - Seriously guys, how early do you all shift out of the first gear? After the shift the revs should drop to around 4500 rpm with some 300 bhp and 450 Nm on tap and I doubt that's out of the powerband. Yes, I know that it hits the limiter much earlier - for the first time - but that doesn't mean the acceleration ends there. It's like wheelspin on tarmac, you probably won't shift on the instant the needle bounces off the limiter. Admittely the second gear could be shorter but then again there are situations (the last two corners of Swiss Alps come to mind) for which it would be too short and the third gear wouldn't cut it. Compromises suck but they have to be done.

My review of the MFT TVR Cerbera Speed 12

A lot of people are pretty divisive over this car, but I've been a real fan of the Speed 12 since it first appeared back in GT2. Over the years, my oppinion of the car had changed in accordance with both my driving style as well as my driving skill. It's been hated, loved and shrugged off with indifference, but you can't deny that it's certainly a unique, SCARY FAST car. With that all said, let's get down to the business of trying to tame the monster that Mad Fin Tuners has created...

Now, when i first read the spec-sheet on the MFT Speed 12, i was in total disbelief. "Turbochargers on a Speed 12?! That's like putting Antlers on a Canary!" But as i've experienced first-hand, the proof is in the driving, so i went to GVS to see if i could get close to the times that were set in private development testing.

Drawing on experience, i was fairly gentle with the throttle and brakes as i made my way around. I wanted to get at least one clean lap in before i went "Banzai!" and started to "Gun it" out of the last corner...My first thought after laying on the throttle down the main straightaway?:OH MY GOD!!!:crazy::scared::nervous::ill:

I've had fun in All kinds of Lemans cars, the FGT and others, but NONE of them can replicate the sense-shattering acceleration that this car can produce. If i had to make a comparison, the Dodge Viper ACR GT i tested prior would have to be the closest to this. I was so enthralled with the speed, in fact, that i nearly missed the braking point for the first corner!:dopey:

I was quite surprised with how well the TVR handled and breaked in corners. Sure, the TVR's naturally long wheelbase makes low-speed handling a bit of a chore, as well as having lots of understeer at high speeds. That along with a relatively long braking zone makes for quite an experience should you miss your mark (Which i did constantly at first...). All said though, this IS probably the best-handling Speed 12 out there...

The biggest problem on this car isn't the long wheelbase, the Sheer insanity of racing it around a track, nor the weak brakes: It's the incredible amount of wheel-spin that can seemingly pop up at any time, in nearly any gear. Running over a rumble strip, exiting a low-speed corner, going up through the gears...You name it, the wheels could spin. You CAN contol it after enough practice and concentration, but to do that you have to drive this with sharp eyes (To study the Boost guage) and a VERY sensitive "Loud-Pedal".

Even with all of that, i can't help but smile at this beast of a car. Yes, it's pretty much insaninty incarnated with four wheels and an engine, but i'm starting to have fun testing my own limits like this...And this car, like the Viper ACR GT, is a true test of your own limits.

Fastest Lap: 1'40.672
Final score: 8/10

Next review: MFT Nissan Motul Pitwork Z GT500 '04

Renault Clio V6 Race Car

465 bhp, 450 Nm, 1115 kg

Clickable for full size

Parts to fit:
NA Tuning Stage 3
FC LSD
R3 Tyres
Rigidity Increase (rollcage)
Oil Change

Suspension
Spring Rate: --.- / --.-
Ride Height: 80 / 90
Bound: 5 / 6
Rebound: 10 / 8
Camber: 2.5 / 2.0
Toe: -2 / -1
Stabilizers: -- / --

Brake Controller
Brakes: 3 / 12

Transmission

Note: First, reset the gearbox to the default settings, then set the Auto setting, and only then set the gear ratios.

Gear Ratios
1st: 3.029
2nd: 2.142
3rd: 1.635
4th: 1.300
5th: 1.065
6th: 0.875
Final Gear: 4.000

Autoset 9

LSD
Initial: 20
Acceleration: 15
Deceleration: 5

Downforce
Amount: 13 / 18

Driving Aids
ASM Oversteer: 0
ASM Understeer: 0
TCS: 0

As a reply to the recent release of Clio's predecessor, the R5, I will now let loose the R5 turbo II rally cars spiritual counterpart, the Renault Clio Sport Trophy V6 24V Race Car as a reply to the question whether the newer is better or faster. First off, you have to remember that Clio has a naturally aspirated V6, with instant grunt and no lag. Since it's also a bigger car, it has more weight to carry around the bends. It also has more gears to play with, but due the regulations, the suspension is slightly limited which hampers the car down slightly. And now that I've done the necessary preparations, I have to tell the sad truth.

Clio has less power and less torque, and more weight, thus, it's sadly slower in overall laptimes. However, I dare to say that in the corners, especially when you enter and exit at highest possible speed, Clio has the edge. That's what nearly 15-20 years in chassis and suspension technology has achieved. In the R5 you will be sweating, waiting for the spike in the power that will cause wheelspin, ready to apply counter lock instantly. However, in the Clio you will just tug it in and keep going since the power is everywhere, it doesn't surprise you like it will in the R5. And this is why this car is more suitable for those who want to concentrate on improving their racing lines and laptimes instead of vehicle handling.

Kingofweasles - It's funny how the car can be so much fun while being a total disaster, isn't it? :D And you can cure the high speed (and some of the low speed too) understeer to an extent but I really don't recommend it... because it involves reducing the rear downforce. After that tweak the car would need a skill badge of its own and probably a flying licence. And as said before, don't look at the boost gauge, look at the tachometer because it'll tell you how much power you can use. The instructions are somewhere in the thread. 👍

Greycap- I know, right? It's crazy how much you can have just runnin' around, trying to slowly get to grips with such a "Wild-Child" of a car...

Also, i mentioned the Boost Gauge being a big factor because i was using it in conjunction with the tachometer limits you guys recomended and I found that the RPM's would sometimes cause a "Spike" in the powerband, which lead to the boost gauge dumping earlier thn you'd expect, causing excess wheelspin. That and i have both "Lead Feet" and whatever the DS2 version of it is! "Lead Thumbs" maybe?:dopey:

Anyways, on to the next Review!
==========
My Review of the Nissan Motul Pitworks Z GT500 '04

After going through the proverbial wringer reviewing the Viper ACR GT and the Speed 12, i wanted to relax a little and review something that WOULDN'T bite my head off if i tried to push for a quick lap-time. In short, i wanted to see what the Mad Fin Tuner's could do to make a good, real-live race car handle. After checking my garage for reasonable canidates, i stumbled across a Nissan Motul Pitwork Z that had exactly ZERO MILES ON IT. On that note, i headed back to good ole' Grand Valley Speedway in store for another test.

The Nissan Motul Pitwork Z is, at least in my oppinion, one of the best JGTC-Spec cars in the game out-of-the-box. It has good handling characteristics, produces enough horseower and torque to keep up with others in it's class but DOESN'T produce enough to ruin the balance of the car's fine handling. Truthfully, this is probably the car to get if you're new to GT4 and wanting a nice, balanced race car to use for a while...And that was BEFORE the wonderful guys at MFT worked they're magic! :)

Now, i'll admit that i was pretty smug before testing this car. I had warm, fuzzy memories of completly crushing the JGTC opposition with the settings set to standard save for adding more downforce and cutting out all of the driving aids. "What could make this car go any faster?", i wondered. Well, i'll happily answer my question right here and now: MFT's Set-Up, THAT'S what can make this car go faster! :sly:

O.K., where to begin...Well, to cut it short and put it into perspective, every good quality that the Motul Pitwork Z had to start with has seemingly been amplified through MFT's set-up. The gear ratios benefit from having improved response AND being low enough that wheelspin is pretty much a non-issue (Response to that after the last two reiews: THANK GOD!). The handling has been improved to a point where, if lined up properly, I could take turns 4 & 5 FLAT on R2's(:crazy:), yet still having all of the stability the car's known for having. Low-speed handling and response were improved as well, making it much more tractable at low-speed corners...Though it DID have a tiny amunt of Understeer through the Turn 7-8-9-10 complex (Though to be honest, i think EVERY car has a little understeer through there!).

Though rarely needed, the brakes on this car were top-notch allowing you to dive deeper and deeper into corners, further improving stability. The one thing that really impressed me about this set-up? Driver Feedback. With the stock set-up, you pretty much pit it, shoot it and "Whooosh!" there it goes. While this isn't a ba trait for a car to have (ot by a LONG shot!) it got kind of boring to drive after a while, at leat for me. With the MFT set-up, however, i could actually feel the car reacting to bumps, pushing through the dreaded 7-8-9-10 complex that makes up a lot of a car's lap-time around GVS...Without sacrificing the "Point & Shoot" feel of before.

In short: While the Nissan Motul Pitworks Z GT500 '04 was good before, Mad Fin Tuner's set-up for it pushes the car leaps and bounds beyond the competition into a class of it's own!

Fastest Lap: 1'39.827
Final Score: 10/10!!!👍👍

Next review:Isuzu 117 Coupe Rallye '68
==========

You're welcome. I'm glad that that I managed to tune an already good car into a better and faster one.

I was wondering, if you could make a setup for one of my race cars? It's the Fairlady Z Concept LM i'm jusing for the Japan GT Championship? I need it all, suspension, LSD and transmission. If you wan't to do it, i will post the current setups etc. :)

@Greycap, re those gear ratios in dirt,

I was playing around with that concept a while back but didn't pursue it (being an awful rally driver). I found that having really short gears you xould downshift approaching a corner to break traction, slide, then shift up to regain grip on exit. Sadly the idea was not pursued beyond changing the autoset on an otherwise stock Evo/Impreza, but I'll be keen to look at your tunes once the heady excitement of TCv5 is over.

Are both the Renault and Pajero geared in this manner?

I was wondering, if you could make a setup for one of my race cars? It's the Fairlady Z Concept LM i'm jusing for the Japan GT Championship? I need it all, suspension, LSD and transmission. If you wan't to do it, i will post the current setups etc. :)

Mad Fin Tuners has an explicit "NO RACE CAR REQUESTS!" policy, so you're out of luck...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back