Mad FinnTuners Co.™ - Finished 301010 with GT-Rdammerung - BIG THANKS everyone!

• Thread starter Greycap
  • 3,787 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Review of The Grim R34per

I've always been a lover of Nissan Skylines, but it's been a tainted love over the past few years. Driving these beautiful machines out of the showroom is a pleasurable experience but I always got the feeling that beneath the bonnet in that sublime 2.6litre twin-turbo charged double-overhead camshaft, straight-six engine, there beats the heart of a caged animal that is just aching to be set free, to prowl the tarmac plains of the world, unrestricted by modern laws and technology.

I climb into a stock (R34) Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec 2 Nür...
Every time I drive this car I love the most, I always feel a twinge of disappointment, because I KNOW it is capable of so much more, despite already being so deliciously driveable as it stands. Where do I turn? I'm completely incapable myself of making this car into the beast it deserves to be, but thankfully, I've heard of a private tuning company comprised of a couple of petrol-head lunatics who are not worried about getting it wrong 100 times, so long as they finally get it right.... I leave my baby with Mad Finn Tuners who tell me to 'call back in a week' (charming!)...

Now I have to admit that I felt a little nervous when I went to Germany to collect the car. What could they have done to it? Was it destroyed? Could I drive it? So many questions swirled my mind, driving along the Autobahn until I reached my destination... Nurburgring Nordshleife.

After a few brief pleasantries, I got to see my car. It still looked like the same car, save for a descreet silver "MFT" emblazoned on each door.

I climbed in and started the ignition which whirred into life in a micro second.
The sound of the engine idling at the start/finish line is akin to an angel breathing softly into my ear... and when I opened that throttle, Thor himself would have stood back in astonishment as the gates of Hell themselves opened to the sound of the entire industrial revolution roaring into life.

My God.

As I tore off the line, my intestines set up base camp in my throat whilst my heart surged to the depths of my bowels. My face melted into the head rest and I gave up hope of actually breathing again. So much G was created on cornering that I could no longer tell where my seat ended and I began... This car, this wild tarmac-shredding beast took corners as though it were angry at the asphalt. Just a week ago I struggled to keep this GT-R on a track as it bounced around like the proverbial jumping bean but now... corners came and went so fast I wasn't sure if I was driving the car, or it was driving me. Towards the end of Kesselchen and Klostertal I dared to glance momentarily at the speedo.. 201mph!!! Christ, we're not even done yet!...

Not 5 minutes later I sat in the car park gathering my thoughts. And my internal organs... What did i think?...

Seriously? 10/10. I've driven almost 20 laps of Nurburgring today, each lap as enjoyable and as terrifying as the last and I am struggling to find fault with this car. I defy anyone to find a better car than this.. I can assure you that if you do, it'll probably have the letter "C" in the name.

👍

Last edited:
Firstly, let me say that I am very impressed with what MFT has done with this car. Lets face it, Lexus isnt known for their sporty sedans. This car is fast...no two ways about it. Its handling, I found to be okay but the car is still plagued by body roll. I found , while driving it, that the car isnt very agile...it really doesnt like changing direction quickly but then thats not what Lexus intended this chassis for is it?? The brakes worked great even though you can tell that this is still a big, heavy car. From my comments so far one would probably assume that Im not very fond of this car....you would be WRONG!!! I like it alot!!! Its tail happy for sure! I found this out a few times along the way while driving at GVS but Ill just have to learn to control it. An excellent job MFT, you guys really have created a Big Bruiser!!!!

with R-class tyres it has so much traction that it will have body roll no matter what I try.. and I tried to keep the setup somewhat civilized, making it lower and stiffer would have basically removed the need for any suspension and killed even the little driveability it has. And if I recall right, I did warn that when the traction runs out, it does so abrubtly and without warning. I'm glad that you still like it, despite the flaws. you know the drill.. and even if youddon't, then all you need to do is check the info in the posts number 1 and 11.

Review of The Grim R34per

I've always been a lover of Nissan Skylines, but it's been a tainted love over the past few years. Driving these beautiful machines out of the showroom is a pleasurable experience but I always got the feeling that beneath the bonnet in that sublime 2.6litre twin-turbo charged double-overhead camshaft, straight-six engine, there beats the heart of a caged animal that is just aching to be set free, to prowl the tarmac plains of the world, unrestricted by modern laws and technology.

I climb into a stock (R34) Nissan Skyline GT-R '00...
Every time I drive this car I love the most, I always feel a twinge of disappointment, because I KNOW it is capable of so much more, despite already being so deliciously driveable as it stands. Where do I turn? I'm completely incapable myself of making this car into the beast it deserves to be, but thankfully, I've heard of a private tuning company comprised of a couple of petrol-head lunatics who are not worried about getting it wrong 100 times, so long as they finally get it right.... I leave my baby with Mad Finn Tuners who tell me to 'call back in a week' (charming!)...

Now I have to admit that I felt a little nervous when I went to Germany to collect the car. What could they have done to it? Was it destroyed? Could I drive it? So many questions swirled my mind, driving along the Autobahn until I reached my destination... Nurburgring Nordshleife.

After a few brief pleasantries, I got to see my car. It still looked like the same car, save for a descreet silver "MFT" emblazoned on each door.

I climbed in and started the ignition which whirred into life in a micro second.
The sound of the engine idling at the start/finish line is akin to an angel breathing softly into my ear... and when I opened that throttle, Thor himself would have stood back in astonishment as the gates of Hell themselves opened to the sound of the entire industrial revolution roaring into life.

My God.

As I tore off the line, my intestines set up base camp in my throat whilst my heart surged to the depths of my bowels. My face melted into the head rest and I gave up hope of actually breathing again. So much G was created on cornering that I could no longer tell where my seat ended and I began... This car, this wild tarmac-shredding beast took corners as though it were angry at the asphalt. Just a week ago I struggled to keep this GT-R on a track as it bounced around like the proverbial jumping bean but now... corners came and went so fast I wasn't sure if I was driving the car, or it was driving me. Towards the end of Kesselchen and Klostertal I dared to glance momentarily at the speedo.. 201mph!!! Christ, we're not even done yet!...

Not 5 minutes later I sat in the car park gathering my thoughts. And my internal organs... What did i think?...

Seriously? 10/10. I've driven almost 20 laps of Nurburgring today, each lap as enjoyable and as terrifying as the last and I am struggling to find fault with this car. I defy anyone to find a better car than this.. I can assure you that if you do, it'll probably have the letter "C" in the name.

👍

You used '00 low miler GT-R? I think that works too, but if it's not too much trouble, try out the car as it should be, using '02 GT-R V-Spec II Nür as basis. Excellent review anyways 👍 and since you're so madly in love with the R, there's no need for tuning request yet, is there? ;) :lol:

Lololol...yeah Leo, you did warn about the abruptness of the chassis when it does let go....as for my request, Ill think about it and PM you....

Can I just point out that Rikki-GTR has written an awesome review? Admittedly, the R34per is perhaps the best thing we've seen come out of gtplanet, but that review is extraordinarily good. I even tested it for plagiarism (clean) due to the quality and the Clarkson-esque nature of the post. Well done mate, and keep the reviews coming!

Erm.. yeah I just realised it was intended for the V-Spec 2 Nur :D
I was actually wondering why the first 3 gear ratios wouldn't go as low as your settings - they do with the Nur which now has pride of place in my garage.

The review remains the same though 👍

Grim R34per review - Top Gear style!
It looks like an ordinary Datsun. But two crazy Finns - no, not Mika Hakkinen and Kimi Raikonnen - have tuned it to 911hp. So I took it to Tsukuba to see...what's what...

Unfortunately it had rained, so I was...s:censored:ting myself.

"OH MY GOD!!!" I screamed as I went into turn 1. The car's traction control and stability management systems were ditched to save weight, but suspension tuning had eliminated any hint of uncontrollable oversteer. But I decided to have some fun, and do donuts at turn 5. I came back the next day, when the track was drier. I posted a blisteringly fast time of 0'50.8 - a time I've only bested in the Formula GT. The car is very fun to drive. But on the Nurburgring - I only got 4 minutes before spinning out after clipping the curve. If you disrespect the Grim R34per it will try and stab you with its scythe. I love GT-Rs, and this has reinforced this. It shows why the RB26DETT is so unallergic (is that a word?) to tuning.

I was, however, scared s:censored:less at the 'Ring. As I before mentioned, I only managed to survive 4 minutes there. The car is so unforgiving in these environments.

FINAL SCORES:

Handling: This baby loves to oversteer. And I love oversteer too. But it can be a little skittish. 17/20
Speed: OH! MY! GOD! Sorry about that. But it is tremendously fast. It tops out at 350km/h, but I don't mind that. It still gets 20/20.
Fun: It is very fun when you respect it and you don't push too hard. But it can kill you if you do push. When you respect it it's fine, but pushing it - that can be fun when you do control it. 19/20 (loses one for trying to kill me)

Last edited:
No offense, but nowhere near Rikki GT-R's review.

Anyways, I shall see if I can try the car. It will take a week, though...

Thanks for the review. Feel free to PM a request if you have need for one.

Codename L, feel free to do so 👍

TRD MR2 SC '86

Just got threw test driving this car. Nicely done Greycap. I like the fact the car still has its original handling trait but slightly improved. It makes the car that much more fun.

This car thrives on tight technical courses such as OPERA PARIS or SS STAGE R5. It has good acceleration and decent top end for a sub 300bhp car. The suspension is nicely done. More grip than you would expect even on s1 tires. Change the tires to n3 tires and it makes for a drifter that is very easily controlled. The brakes are nicely set up. It stops very quickly but stable. Allthough this car is well balanced, be careful topping a hill and turning at the same time. this car is VERY light and can lose grip quickly if not careful. Also, with the absence of traction control you should watch your throttle imput in really tight hairpin turns. This car makes a good starter car too. you can expect to run about 7-10 percent through before running out of races.

Hey, Great Work! thanks for all your tunes, epecially the Zonda C12R. 👍, I never thought a car would be that fun to drive or insane!
thanks again

NISMO FAIRLADY S-TUNE

A couple of weeks ago I went to a friends house for a cook out. We got to talking about the Club "Z" meet he went to last year. They had a swap neet there too so he took his 300zx twin turbo to try to sell it. Well during the swap meet this guy wanted to trade with him. at first he said "not interested" but then guy said he had a 68 fairlady 2000 that was wanting to trade. So not being a tool he said "ok lets do it!"

Anyways, back to the cook out. he showed me the car. it was a thing of beauty. The odometer read pretty high but you could tell it was taken care of. While I was eyeballing the car I told him how I was thinking about buying an MX5 that I found on Craigs List. He aksed me if I wanted to buy this car instead. I aksed him "Are you serious?! Why do you want to sell it?". He said "I need the money for a turbo kit for my 350z." So i bought it.

I drove it home that day. Ya know for a car that old and as many miles that it had it drove beautifully. When I got home i called the good ole boys at MFT and asked them if they could transform this thing into a good trackday racer. They said "Sure, bring it buy and let us take a look at it". So I didn't waste anytime. I got a flight on the next cargo plane to finland.

When I arrived with the car Leo came out to see the car first. The first thing out of his mouth was "Oh buddy, do i have something in store for this ride". I said "Alright, shes all yours dude. I now you'll do her justice". He told me that the Club "Z" meet was coming up in 5 days and that he could have it ready by then. Worked out perfect because I was already sceduled to go to Japan for that. So asked them if they could deliver it to Tokio when its down and he agreed.

So I got to Tokio and sure enough they were there and there was my car. At first glance I couldn't tell if they did anything to it aside for the black nismo wheels but Leo asured me that I would be very happy. He popped the hood and my jaw dropped. They transplanted a silvia spec r aero engine and transmission into it. "Hell yeah!' I said. He said "Wait till you drive it.

They put the car on a serious diet replacing everything they could with lighter weight materials, stiffened the chassis, threw in some race spec brakes and beefed up the suspension. Oh buddy did they deliver.

I headed out onto the track and got ready to start. The light turned green and off I went. Roasting the tires all the way through first gear then hit second and took off like a bat out of hell. passing the whole field with in the first lap. I got to the wide 180 and went through with out losing grip one bit. Then rounded the 90 before the big straight and let her rip. I topped out at 149mph before having to slow down to negotiate the back to back left handers at the end. This car executed the road course section flawlessly. I went on to finish in first place with a 6 second lead.

Pulled back into the pits to load up and talk with leo before he headed out. "This thing is awesome!" i said. He said "I told you so". The best bart about this car is its still street legal and very comfortable on the road. I love this car. I don't even use my car hauler for this one. i drive it to the events and love every minute of it. Very impressive Leonidea, very impressive!

mafia_boy - Your version might be in need of quite a few more tweaks if you were to lighten it as the balance gets altered. Not to mention that the racing slicks cause a good deal of twitchiness when compared to the sports it's running now. Yours may well handle better as is... but not necessarily after the changes.

mx5_runner_4583 - Now that's a great car choice you have there! One of the most entertaining I ever made but overlooked in favour of more powerful ones. You're absolutely correct about tunring when going over crests, or actually turning abrubtly at any speed because the car won't warn much before flipping into a wall.

mafia_boy - Your version might be in need of quite a few more tweaks if you were to lighten it as the balance gets altered. Not to mention that the racing slicks cause a good deal of twitchiness when compared to the sports it's running now. Yours may well handle better as is... but not necessarily after the changes.

Remember aswell Greycap, you have another 120hp, that would make a fair difference when it comes to changes of direction, etc. and would help to make it semi-unstable.

Meh, I'm not fussed, it was something I just threw in the air. :)

Used wheel lot. There's 30 different lineups so at worst, to get a given set of wheels, you're looking at... 15 grand.

Rotary Junkie - thanks, I'll have a look through them 👍

@ M.F.T - Oh my God! Just tested the Proto Spirra for the first time, would you believe I've NEVER once driven this car? What a sensational little machine, utterly beautiful and a joy to drive. I would write a review but it seems to have already had quite a few.
No matter, absolutely top work. Again. 👍 :)

*So nice that I'm adding it to my 'Dream 10 car garage' - can't believe it's been there this whole time :D

It doesn't matter how many reviews a car has got... more is always good. Having said that, naturally it would be nice to have one for those that have gone without a single one this far. I've updated all my cars with the review links (very short reviews not included) but Leonidae's are still to be done.

About the used wheels, this link should work wonders. It's an .xls file once again. Made by me.

GT4 used wheels list, PAL version

holy crap!
Grim R34per

911 bhp, 948 Nm, 1294 kg

Clickable for full size

Parts to buy:
Racing Exhaust
Racing Brakes
Brake Balance Controller
Turbo Kit Stage 5
Racing Intercooler
Port Polishing
Engine Balancing
Displacement Increase
Racing Chip
FC Transmission
Triple-plate Clutch
Racing Flywheel
Carbon Driveshaft
FC Suspension
R3 Tyres
Weight Reduction Stage 3
Oil Change
Rear Wing
New Wheels (optional)

Suspension
Spring Rate: 10.0 / 6.0
Ride Height: 106 / 106
Bound: 6 / 8
Rebound: 6 / 6
Camber: 3.0 / 1.5
Toe: 2 / 0
Stabilizers: 5 / 2

Brake Controller
Brakes: 2 / 1

Transmission
Gear Ratios
1st: 2.928
2nd: 1.877
3rd: 1.327
4th: 1.081
5th: 0.884
6th: 0.728
Final Gear: 4.100

Autoset 25

Downforce
Amount: 30 / 33

Driving Aids
ASM Oversteer: 0
ASM Understeer: 0
TCS: 0

balance weight: 0

At first glance it looks like any ordinary GT-R.. But something isn't right. You can feel the presence of this car, and in the darkening night, you can almost see an aura around it. This car is vicious beast, faster than anything else. It diminishes even the almighty Godzilla, R32 GT-R that started the legend of unbeatable twinturbo monsters. This car is known as Grim R34per, and for a good reason.. Because you never know if it'll take you to the other side of the record time, or to the dark depths of hell. Development of this car took many lives, thus, treat it with respect.

Rest In Peace, and GodSpeed..

Leo

And that is a big no-no, since it's basically going around the swear filter. just don't use them, at all.

slide it huh...?

Wolfsburg Karmann Ghia GTI '68

107 bhp, 220 Nm, 764 kg

Clickable for full size

Parts to buy:
Racing Exhaust
Racing Brakes
Brake Balance Controller
NA Tuning Stage 3
Port Polishing
Engine Balancing
Racing Chip
FC Transmission
Triple-plate Clutch
Racing Flywheel
FC LSD
FC Suspension
N3 Tyres
Weight Reduction Stage 3
Oil Change
New Wheels (optional)

Suspension
Spring Rate: 3.5 / 4.5
Ride Height: 130 / 150
Bound: 3 / 3
Rebound: 4 / 6
Camber: 2.0 / 1.5
Toe: 0 / -2
Stabilizers: 2 / 3

Brake Controller
Brakes: 4 / 8

Transmission

Note: First, reset the gearbox to the default settings, then set the Auto setting, and only then set the gear ratios.

Gear Ratios
1st: 2.174
2nd: 1.563
3rd: 1.238
4th: 1.024
5th: 0.868
6th: 0.748
Final Gear: 3.700

Autoset 10

LSD
Initial: 30
Acceleration: 15
Deceleration: 5

Driving Aids
ASM Oversteer: 0
ASM Understeer: 0
TCS: 0

It looks suspiciously like the early Porsches, doesn't it? Well, the fact that it's the ancestor of those explains a lot and now it's time to show that the similarities don't end in the looks. We'll make it drive like one too. :mischievous: Forget the really sneezy engine of the stock model, the power has been more than doubled and the entire car has been virtually rebuilt as a serious sports version of the original. The handling characteristics approach those of the Porsches, lift the throttle and the tail will slide out in a gentle and controllable way - only to get back to the line with a press on the accelerator. That having been said, the most difficult thing to do with this car is resisting the urge to glide it sideways through the corners. :P

Attachments

• IMG0017.JPG
    IMG0017.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG0018.JPG
    IMG0018.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG0019.JPG
    IMG0019.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 22
And next we shall release a pair of old fossils that have been revived and brought back for Grande Finale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back