Mad FinnTuners Co.™ - Finished 301010 with GT-Rdammerung - BIG THANKS everyone!

• Thread starter Greycap
  • 3,787 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Plymouth Superbird 426 Hemi '70

615 bhp, 910 Nm, 1456 kg

Clickable for full size

Parts to fit:
Racing Brakes
Brake Balance Controller
NA Tuning Stage 2
Port Polishing
Engine Balancing
FC Transmission
Triple-plate Clutch
Racing Flywheel
FC LSD
Carbon Driveshaft
FC Suspension
S3 Tyres
Weight Reduction Stage 3
Oil Change
New Wheels (optional)

Suspension
Spring Rate: 7.5 / 7.0
Ride Height: 140 / 170
Bound: 4 / 6
Rebound: 7 / 4
Camber: 2.0 / 2.0
Toe: 0 / -2
Stabilizers: 2 / 5

Brake Controller
Brakes: 5 / 8

Transmission - four speed

Note: First, reset the gearbox to the default settings, then set the Auto setting, and only then set the gear ratios.

Gear Ratios
1st: 2.213
2nd: 1.450
3rd: 1.050
4th: 0.800
5th: 0.650
6th: 0.530
Final Gear: 3.150 / 3.310 / 3.540

Autoset 25

Transmission - six speed

Note: First, reset the gearbox to the default settings, then set the Auto setting, and only then set the gear ratios.

Gear Ratios
1st: 2.352
2nd: 1.599
3rd: 1.235
4th: 1.000
5th: 0.820
6th: 0.665
Final Gear: 3.300

Autoset 19

LSD
Initial: 10
Acceleration: 30
Deceleration: 5

Driving Aids
ASM Oversteer: 0
ASM Understeer: 0
TCS: 0

Bird, bird, bird is the word... considered by many to be the ultimate muscle car, built from the beginning as a race car and to be the best, the Superbird is a true icon of its era. Immortalized by The King on the raceways it made a permanent mark on the history of stock car racing as one of the first cars that were designed using aerodynamics as a basis.

But onto our project of today. The shark-looking car with a huge rear wing didn't need much of exterior tweaking so a new set of alloy wheels has been the only change. Under the bonnet however, things are a bit different. The mighty 426 Hemi is lurking there as expected but it has been tickled a bit and through several modifications is now pushing out in excess of 600 horses - certainly enough to move the weight around. The suspension is based on the NASCAR technology without forgetting street drivability. For the transmission there are two choices - a modern six speed setup for those willing to extract absolutely everything from the car and a four speed setup (just ignore the 5th and 6th gear) with a couple of final ratios for those who want to get the feeling of the old race gearing. Watch out, the flaming red Road Runner is on the loose again after all these years... beep beep!

Reviews:

by PF

Last edited:
Writing down the settings as I speak. I will pay more attention to the four speed setup, but don't worry, I will test both. 👍

Being honest I didn't pay much attention to the six speed setup myself, just made sure it works. Even the banner time was driven with the four speed (using the 3.15 final) at it felt more appropriate for the car. The actual time difference on a GVS lap is less than half a second, the marginally better powerband usage is mostly gone into the extra shifts and less grip out of the hairpins.

Chevrolet Camaro Z/520

520 bhp, 650 Nm, 1202 kg

Clickable for full size

Parts to fit:
Racing Exhaust
Racing Brakes
Brake Balance Controller
NA Tuning Stage 3
Port Polishing
Engine Balancing
Racing Chip
FC Transmission
Triple-plate Clutch
Racing Flywheel
FC LSD
Carbon Driveshaft
FC Suspension
S3 Tyres
Weight Reduction Stage 3
Rigidity Increase (rollcage)
Oil Change
New Wheels (optional)

Suspension
Spring Rate: 7.0 / 4.5
Ride Height: 115 / 115
Bound: 8 / 4
Rebound: 10 / 10
Camber: 2.2 / 2.0
Toe: -2 / 1
Stabilizers: 4 / 4

Brake Controller
Brakes: 3 / 7

Transmission

Gear Ratios
1st: 2.511
2nd: 1.681
3rd: 1.325
4th: 1.067
5th: 0.864
Final Gear: 3.100

Autoset 13

LSD
Initial: 25
Acceleration: 17
Deceleration: 5

Driving Aids
ASM Oversteer: 0
ASM Understeer: 0
TCS: 0

It started it's life as standard Z/28 Camaro from late 60's. it was nothing special, just another perky little Ponycar that took part in the great Ponycar wars of the era, and just like the competition, it had a V8, RWD and sleek, nice looking chassis. But this particular one ended up to Scandinavia, the realm of Santa Claus and other mythical beings. As years went on, the car received improvements over the stock one, until the owner decided that it was finished. He called it Chevrolet Camaro Z/520, as it produced 520bhp. And what a wild little Ponycar it is. He likes it sideways, but don't let its showboating manners fool you. This little beastie for a Ponycar outruns certain Plymouth with ease when it comes to top speed, but requires a skillful and foresighted master who can anticipate the small tantrums this car occasionally shows.

May have to test these 2 and compare the Plymouth to my reworked one, and the Camaro to the one I got under developement.

I try, but drive Greycap's Superbird before worshiping me too much. it's actually the better car out of these two.

I'm testing the Plymouth right now and god is there some understeer. Braking distance is really killing it for me. I'll check the settings (again) and hopt to come back with a better impression.

I tried the Superbird in the 4 speed configuration, hopefully tonight I'll have time to try the 6 speed configuration.

Haven't built the Camaro yet.

PF
I'm testing the Plymouth right now and god is there some understeer. Braking distance is really killing it for me. I'll check the settings (again) and hopt to come back with a better impression.

Understeer and braking distance? you have to remember that it's not a small and light car. However, when I tried the car myself in the 4-speed configuration, it was really manageable for a car of it's dimensions and weight. it even allows small, easily controlled slides that really make it feel smaller and more agile than what it actually is. just remember to stay on throttle, and brake early.. It has drum brakes after all, you know.. ;) (I think)

I tried the Superbird in the 4 speed configuration, hopefully tonight I'll have time to try the 6 speed configuration.

Haven't built the Camaro yet.

No rush, take your time.

Yes, it was my fault, must have pressed triangle cause the suspension was on default. Not pretty. The gf is keen for some 'adult time' so I'll have to retest tomorrow. If I'm lucky it'll be tomorrow afternoon.

Wrestling the Superbird around a course can be a bit of a shock after Elises or Miatas, a ton and a half of steel in a package nearly six metres long on tyres that would be badly undersized on a hot hatch of today... but surprisingly, it understeers very little. After a lot of thinking and wondering I came to the result that it probably doesn't understeer half the time you think it does, it's just that it's so outrageously huge that it just won't turn around that sharp corner you're trying to tackle at speed.

Ok, thanks, my doubts are vanished thanks to Greycap!
YEY!
Wrestling the Superbird around a course can be a bit of a shock after Elises or Miatas, a ton and a half of steel in a package nearly six metres long on tyres that would be badly undersized on a hot hatch of today... but surprisingly, it understeers very little. After a lot of thinking and wondering I came to the result that it probably doesn't understeer half the time you think it does, it's just that it's so outrageously huge that it just won't turn around that sharp corner you're trying to tackle at speed.

I retested the car with the proper settings and it has absolutely no understeer, and a satisfying amount of easily-controllable oversteer. I used the 4-gear version (manual) and once I'd remembered that I could use 1st adjusted immediately. 1st will happily take you into the 90s kph.

The car was really easy to stop and very stable at speed, the opposite of which are the two reasons I don't usually drive muscle cars. In fact I found it perhaps too driveable; you could maybe get a bit more speed out of it by taxing the driver a bit more.

re: the 4-speed, I did use 5th at GVS (maybe I'm driving it wrong) and it gave me the impression that it might be a good box for the 'ring, saving the trouble of shifting so often but long enough for the back straight.

I really couldn't find anything substantial to criticise this car over, especially considering that I loathe the base model and almost never drive it by choice. Also, I was a bit sceptical of the tune, mainly the ride height and something else. But all fears were unfounded: you've made a very good car out of one that I really dislike, well done yet again.

PF - Thanks for breaking the ice of the winged warrior! Agreed, the tune looks like it will never handle like a car (more like a truck) but somehow it does. Sure it's no modern sports car but for a muscle car it does fine. About the easy drivability, Leonidae tested it and (for probably the first time) said that I had created a car that made him think "faster, faster, this thing isn't even moving" at speeds well over 200 km/h. Yes, you can use the 5th gear at GVS even with the 3.15 final but it's not necessary, personally I redlined it for the last seconds of the main straight. On the Nürburgring there was need for quite a bit more redlining and the 5th would certainly have been of good help there. After all the four speed setup is more for the realism hunters than for making the best results. And the first gear takes you not only into the 90's, but into three digits with the tallest final gear.

You may get the impression that I like this car a lot... and you're not wrong a bit. It has something very satisfying in it, it's the best of its class in absolutely nothing (if grunty looks don't count) but it feels very good. It's impossible to put a finger on what its secret is.

You may get the impression that I like this car a lot... and you're not wrong a bit. It has something very satisfying in it, it's the best of its class in absolutely nothing (if grunty looks don't count) but it feels very good. It's impossible to put a finger on what its secret is.

I know exactly what you mean. My comments say nothing bad, but there's nothing in there to say why it's good, beyond the fact that it's a car I hate and you've made it driveable. In fact I was initially suspicious that you'd found a glitch of sorts in the settings. You've just found a 'sweet spot' with the settings and it works really well.

I'd like to spend a bit more time in this car and was thinking the 4hrs 'ring. Any other suggestions for in-game races (as opp to trial mode, where I spend 95% of my time)?

Let's see about the races. I'll leave those that it'll completely steamroll right off.

- Tuning Car Grand Prix, might necessitate R tyres though.
- Super Car Festival, drive the wheels off it and you may win.
- Stars and Stripes
- Muscle Car Competition, the new one that is.
- Any road car endurance, with R tyres for Laguna Seca.

Roughly speaking, if you can win something with a full stock Ford GT you can win it with the Superbird too but it'll take slightly more work.

Greycap: My little revue of the Plymouth Superbird 428 Himi '70.
1. It drives like Macktruck.
2.It don't turn real well for me.
3.I don't like the breaks real well.
4.Ilike the 4speed tranny.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I used to drive truck awhile back and the truck turned better than this car does. It is probly my driving, driver eer. The breaks are something else, just can;t put my finger on it right now. I like the tranny works real well, it shifts great. The thing is I love this car alot. The styling, the looks the sound.
On a scale 1-10 I would give it a 8 1/2 for what the car is. Thanks for all the great cars.👍

...a ton and a half of steel in a package nearly six metres long on tyres that would be badly undersized on a hot hatch of today...

That quote pretty much explains what causes the problems you've encountered, it's a really large car. To top that off it has drum brakes in the rear but still reaches supercar speeds, a combination that won't stop on a dime no matter what and a situation nobody can help. About driving like a truck, I have to agree with your "self diagnosis" and call perhaps not driver error but ham-fisted driving on it. It takes smooth lines and thinking in advance to get the most out of it but it most definitely handles like a car when driven with the style it necessitates. 👍

Last edited:
I am a very new member to GTPlanet and I have quickly taken a liking to MFT. I have tuned up few cars from you guys and I LOVE them:tup:👍👍👍 my fave at the moment would have to be this. The Clio F1, it has very sensitive handling, so it really trains DS2 users. It is a fast little car for it's size and the only think that's close to it's coolness is the Grim r34per and the Audi TT-S. 9.9/10
💡 Do you think you might be able to make a good Polyphony Digital? With the Tranny and Suspension Set-up. That would be 🤬 :cool:!!

Finally got a chance to fully try out the Superbird, so heres a short review:

Racked up alot of miles testing this one at a couple tracks, and comparing it back to back with my own soon to be released revised Superbird. The 4 speed version was fun and a bit nostalgic, but the 6 speed version I found to be a little faster.

Power was great of course, but why not add a chip and get an extra 19hp?

Brakes were ok, I didn't have a problem slowing the car down any, but I'm an early braker. I did wish they were a little stronger though for a car this big.

I found the car to be good on corner entry, but otherwise cornering was an adventure. Going through some high speed corners, it seemed like the front end would lose grip and just slide. Grip would come back however and cause a bit of snap oversteer causing the need to countersteer on exit. This hurt straightaway speed a bit. Low speed corners it behaved a little better.

All in all I thought it was a decent effort. 8.5/10

Power was great of course, but why not add a chip and get an extra 19hp?

When was the last time you saw a carburettor that accepts a chip? That's why...

The brakes can't be helped too much, now they are at least predictable. Increasing the braking force led to sudden lock-ups and I chose slightly longer braking distances instead of putting it to a wall because it snaps out of control. The cornering is straightforward when one thing is found out, it needs a slight lift off or braking before entering the corner. That way the weight helps to plant the front tyres during entry and then fades away during the rest of the corner. The only corners I got it to oversteer in were those with hard acceleration (2nd or early 3rd gear), definitely not fast corners. Might also be a controller or driving style thing, my driving is said to be smooth with thinking in advance and no doubt this car needs it.

Now as I think of it, I would have been very surprised if you had liked it seeing that you also have your own version in cooking. One of the main rules: never admit someone else is doing a better job than you. :P

When was the last time you saw a carburettor that accepts a chip? That's why...

The brakes can't be helped too much, now they are at least predictable. Increasing the braking force led to sudden lock-ups and I chose slightly longer braking distances instead of putting it to a wall because it snaps out of control. The cornering is straightforward when one thing is found out, it needs a slight lift off or braking before entering the corner. That way the weight helps to plant the front tyres during entry and then fades away during the rest of the corner. The only corners I got it to oversteer in were those with hard acceleration (2nd or early 3rd gear), definitely not fast corners. Might also be a controller or driving style thing, my driving is said to be smooth with thinking in advance and no doubt this car needs it.

Now as I think of it, I would have been very surprised if you had liked it seeing that you also have your own version in cooking. One of the main rules: never admit someone else is doing a better job than you. :P

Why not put a chip on a carbureted engine? PD allows you to balance the pistons on a rotary engine. :lol:

When tuning mine, I found braking can be much improved by dialing back on the camber, especially up front. Instead of increasing braking strength.

I won't admit yours is better then mine, but I was much faster with mine. :)

Well, at least there is something to balance in a rotary, after all it's called engine balancing. Perhaps the chip on a carburettor engine pretends to be an injection conversion but then again the power gains are far too small for that scenario.

About the decrease in camber, I'd say that getting two car lengths off the braking distances isn't worth it when the tyres can't use their full contact patch in high speeds any more. I'll rather brake earlier and sacrifice some low speed handling instead of saying hello to the armco at 200+ km/h because only the outer edges of the outside tyres touch the tarmac.

And if you're faster with yours, well, you should be if you're any good in tuning the car to your preferences. During this two years we've been running this thing I've tried my own tricks on certain tunes by Leonidae and one of them got almost three seconds faster on GVS with what I would call just fine tuning. Some brake balance, 10mm of ride height, a couple of clicks of damper. On the other hand he couldn't drive it nearly as fast after that... this may well be the case here too. And I have a feeling that you've gone for a full time attack tune, mine tries to be a believable road car that can be tracked too as can be seen, for example, from the ride height. I simply can't put function completely over form if it means ruining the looks by overly lowering a car or turning a road going muscle car into a rock slead. Faster, yes. Far from faithful to the original car, even more so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back