Mad FinnTuners Co.™ - Finished 301010 with GT-Rdammerung - BIG THANKS everyone!

• Thread starter Greycap
  • 3,787 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll have to disagree about the camber. I lowered the camber on my Superbird and and pretty much all of my other cars and they now brake better and go through corners better. In real life tuning you may be right, but in a stupid game like GT4 where they didn't model everything realistically it doesn't really apply. But whatever, its your tune, do what you want.

Yes, mine is lowered, but it's not a full out time attack car. If it was, it'd probably have race tires on it. Also, if I were to build a serious time attack car, I wouldn't start with a car thats bigger then some of my friends apartments. But I find it funny how you preach about not wanting to ruin it's appearance by lowering it yet you slap some modern wheels on that look totally out of place. (and in the case of some of your other muscle cars, mounting a giant wing on the back and plastering them with Swedish and Finnish flags)

In every single case I've tried increasing camber increases the grip to a certain point which is usually around 3° for high speed corners and 2° for mid speed corners. Admittedly lower camber shortens braking distances marginally but the only situation I can see it improving handling is when a car understeers so much that rear camber needs to be zeroed to reduce the contact patch during cornering. Sure, it depends on the amount of camber you were running before but going much below two degrees - especially in the front - seldom helps.

Oddly enough I don't remember making a single Swedish flag (why would I have?) and looking for them reveals none. We've been here before with the exteriors and my old quote about the 'Cuda still stands.

adamgp - That's called customizing with the game imposing the limits. Sure, an old school NASCAR type aero package with a front spoiler and a small rear flap - or an adjustable stock wing - would have looked better but they didn't give us the chance to use those so I picked something that suits the colour scheme as there truely is a need for downforce. The same goes with the wheels, the classic style racing wheels are quite seriously in a short supply in the game so I picked something that suits the colour scheme. And you can't deny that modern alloys are better for racing than old timer steelies. ;)

Alfa Romeo Spider 1600RS'66

211 bhp, 249 Nm, 873 kg

Clickable for full size

Parts to fit:
Racing Exhaust
Racing Brakes
Brake Balance Controller
NA Tuning Stage 3
Port Polishing
Engine Balancing
Racing Chip
FC Transmission
Triple-plate Clutch
Racing Flywheel
FC LSD
Carbon Driveshaft
FC Suspension
S3 Tyres
Weight Reduction Stage 3
Rigidity Increase (Rollcage)
Oil Change
New Wheels (BBS)

Suspension
Spring Rate: 5.0 / 5.0
Ride Height: 110 / 110
Bound: 4 / 4
Rebound: 10 / 10
Camber: 2.0 / 2.2
Toe: -2 / -2
Stabilizers: 2 / 7

Brake Controller
Brakes: 4 / 10

Transmission

Note: First, reset the gearbox to the default settings, then set the Auto setting, and only then set the gear ratios.

Gear Ratios
1st: 2.709
2nd: 1.838
3rd: 1.336
4th: 1.026
5th: 0.831
Final Gear: 4.560

Autoset 5

LSD
Initial: 20
Acceleration: 17
Deceleration: 5

Driving Aids
ASM Oversteer: 0
ASM Understeer: 0
TCS: 0

Italian cars are often associated with things like "Passion" and "Soul". And most often these two words are mentioned when talking of any kind of Alfa Romeos, old and new. And this one is no different. It's completely rebuilt little hot rod, disguised as old, feminine Alfa Romeo Spider 1600 Duetto from 1966. It has round, passionate lines, rather sedate color and classic BBS wheels crowning the looks. All this pretty eye candy disguises the fact that the car is a lot lighter than what it used to be, and that the leather seats, dashboard and all are just barely hidden carbonfiber replacements. But if that's the passion department, the soul will be something else. The standard 1.6 liter DOHC design has been massaged to near Formula Atlantic-levels of performance, and WOT it develops 210bhp while revving above 7500 rpm. Close ratio 5-speed 'box with its direct cut gears will whine like dentists drill, forcing you to wear dual ear protection, but who cares when you're having more fun than ever. Only MX-5 comes close to the level of entertainment this car can offer, thus, fold the roof down and let the wind blow your worries away, replacing them with the symphony of soulful howl and passionate performance.

Triumph Spitfire Mk V '74

175 bhp, 252 Nm, 736 kg

Clickable for full size

Parts to fit:
Racing Exhaust
Racing Brakes
Brake Balance Controller
NA Tuning Stage 3
Port Polishing
Engine Balancing
Racing Chip
FC Transmission
Triple-plate Clutch
Racing Flywheel
FC LSD
Carbon Driveshaft
FC Suspension
S3 Tyres
Weight Reduction Stage 3
Oil Change
New Wheels (optional)

Suspension
Spring Rate: 4.5 / 4.5
Ride Height: 100 / 130
Bound: 4 / 7
Rebound: 8 / 5
Camber: 2.0 / 2.0
Toe: 0 / -2
Stabilizers: 3 / 4

Brake Controller
Brakes: 5 / 10

Transmission

Note: First, reset the gearbox to the default settings, then set the Auto setting, and only then set the gear ratios.

Gear Ratios
1st: 2.306
2nd: 1.568
3rd: 1.230
4th: 1.000
5th: 0.823
Final Gear: 3.540

Autoset 11

LSD
Initial: 10
Acceleration: 20
Deceleration: 5

Driving Aids

The name every Brit knows from one source or another, it surely puts a lot of pressure on this tiny tin can from the foggy island. While the engine is short of twenty-five and a half litres of displacement and the top speed is barely a third of what the famous name sake was capable of, this is still a very true Spitfire.

While there never was a Spitfire Mark number beyond Mk IV it's quite fitting to christen this as the Mk V, not only to complete the range but also for the tribute reasons. And just like its spiritual predecessor it's far more capable than the models before it but not quite up to the mark when compared to the opposition. Slightly underpowered, a bit on the slow side but agile as hell. And that's just like it should be. If you can make the opposition fight with your terms the Spitfire will carve its name into history and carry the British colours to everlasting fame again. Tally-ho!

Reviews:

by DuoMaxwell
by PF
by stidriver

Last edited:
Well I don't think the Spitfire really had twenty five and a half litres. Perhaps 2.5 litres?

and that, everyone, is why I keep telling him that he should drink coffee instead of distilled dishwater better known as tea. :lol:

and that, everyone, is why I keep telling him that he should drink coffee instead of distilled dishwater better known as tea. :lol:

And that is why you are an amusing man, Leo. No seriously, what tea do you drink Greycap?

Oh, and nice tunes! They both look great, especially the Triumph with the VCD:lol:... Nah, it's all good guys.

The plane had a 27L engine. ;)
There's always someone who knows the odd stuff too. 👍

PF
I'd say that's the best question in a while. Absolutely no idea.

Coffee, to make me sleep even less when the problem to begin with was probably lack of sleep? I knew you were nuts but THAT much... :crazy: No, another Earl Grey for me.

oh well.. could be worse, you could be good friend of Mr. Jack Daniels. But, if I recall right, the time to release next pair is approaching quickly despite the lackluster interest for the latest one.. :odd: right, old buddy? 💡

Not to mention Jack's old rival, Johnnie Walker. But indeed. The next pair will introduce a new level of performance compared to power. This far making the "ghost run" below 1'40 has necessitated either 900+ bhp, unusually high downforce levels, or both. Not anymore... with less than 650 bhp and 30/30 downforce the limit has been cracked on several consecutive laps. And somehow the car isn't a total killer, it might even dodge the Expert badge.

No, another Earl Grey for me.
A classic british car, and a cup of tea (and Earl Grey, can't say you have bad taste - as I share it).
Well, you could say this tune was designed with the goal of sightseeing the english countryside, or, even better, to go to Goodwood ... ?

Anyway, I had testing that car in the back of my mind, but heavy schedule is making it a bit hard at the moment.

Review of the Wolfsburg Lupo GTi-R

As normal it's off the Grand Valley for the testing. I was turn in consistent lap time's in the 2'10.0xx with the GTi-R. I found the brake controller setting to be very good. The differential set-up did a nice job of putting the power to the road without causing the normal high power FF wheel spin problems. I did find the Lupo to be a liitle overgeared. It's not to bad, but could be closed up a little bit. On the suspension side the GTi-R's rear end is a little to skatey at turn-in. This makes keeping corner speed up when doing aggressive trail braking harder. It also has a slight high speed understeer. The rest of the time I found the Lupo handling to be mostly neutral. I had fun playing around with the MFT Wolfsburg Ed. You have one more good car boy's.:)👍

Also Leonidae on the Clio V6 Race car I change rear camber to 2.5 on the car. The change gave me the added front grip the car needed.

Last edited:
I made the Lupo's rear end skittish on purpose. with gentle steering and throttle inputs the car is decent to drive, and easily keeps up with the big boys. The gearing is as it is so that the button smashers wouldn't complain about excessive wheelspin that this little torque monster is more than capable of. And about the Clio.. I did what I could, the limited suspension options didn't leave too much choice setup-wise.

I made the Lupo's rear end skittish on purpose. with gentle steering and throttle inputs the car is decent to drive, and easily keeps up with the big boys. The gearing is as it is so that the button smashers wouldn't complain about excessive wheelspin that this little torque monster is more than capable of. And about the Clio.. I did what I could, the limited suspension options didn't leave too much choice setup-wise.

That is what I did to keep the rear in check and keep the mid turn speed up.
It's was also good that you made the engine N/A over the turbo upgrade. The turbo just makes the Lugo a wheel spin crazy with it's small powerband.

Oh yeah, For the Clio, you could always try increasing the rear toe value to -3.. if it has one. can't remember. :lol:

Last edited:
Mazda MX-5 1600RS R-Limited Reviewed

Starting with the brakes on The MX-5. I found them to be very good with nice overall control. The differential setting also did a very nice job of using the engine's power and working with the suspension. For the chassis set-up the R-Limited handling was neutral most of the time. But at time would go into a slight understeer needing more steering to stay on line. I found added a little more rear camber eliminated this. On the gearing side I found that overall it was good with second gear is a little high in a few places. This would put you a little low in the rev range if you do not keep you entry speed up. By added a little more gear to second I was able to make more consistent lap time's. I think this a great set-up for the MX-5 1600 NR-A that it is based on and with some small change's it is super. I had alot of fun driving this car and was lapping Grand Valley in the 2'00.4xx range with the MX-5. Nice work Graycap of MFT.👍:D

Rotary Junkie - Believe me, it is. Quite a good thing I didn't tune this car two years ago as I had planned to.

DuoMaxwell - Goodwood would be quite a good destination indeed seeing how the car handles. For the sightseeing it might be a tad too harsh as I've understood that your country roads aren't exactly silky smooth... well, as aren't ours.

stidriver - Thanks for an excellent choice! The second gear is too tall as also noted in the setup post but it was a trade off between getting more revs out of the engine at higher gears and bogging down a bit at certain corners, after all it only affects a certain speed range (50-60 km/h comes to mind) so I went with this approach.

About the recent comments concerning the understeer in both the MX-5 and the Clio, a thread from some time back came to mind. Not addressed only for stidriver but for everybody, it might even have some truth in it... or then not. It would explain some things though.

I recently obtained a hard copy of GT4 PAL (I've been collecting them all, only Korean left to find). Now that I've found a way to boot it on my NTSC machine I've been playing it recently.

I set up the options and steering wheel (DFP) settings just like my NTSC gamesave and then immediately took to the track. I noticed a tendency towards more oversteer that is also more easily controllable.

Perhaps there really are slight differences that are big enough to affect the handling? I have no idea.

DuoMaxwell - Goodwood would be quite a good destination indeed seeing how the car handles. For the sightseeing it might be a tad too harsh as I've understood that your country roads aren't exactly silky smooth... well, as aren't ours.

Unfortunately, I'm not a loyal subject of her majesty the Queen ;)

Down the Channel, I believe our roads are a bit better than those of our neighbour. Not sure, but well...

Spyker RC8 '02

649 bhp, 648 Nm, 941 kg

Clickable for full size

Parts to fit:
Racing Exhaust
Racing Brakes
Brake Balance Controller
NA Tuning Stage 3
Port Polishing
Engine Balancing
Racing Chip
FC Transmission
Triple-plate Clutch
Racing Flywheel
FC LSD
Carbon Driveshaft
FC Suspension
R3 Tyres
Weight Reduction Stage 3
Oil Change
Rear Wing
New Wheels (optional)

Suspension
Spring Rate: 9.0 / 10.0
Ride Height: 100 / 110
Bound: 5 / 7
Rebound: 9 / 6
Camber: 2.0 / 2.0
Toe: -1 / 0
Stabilizers: 3 / 5

Brake Controller
Brakes: 6 / 8

Transmission

Gear Ratios
1st: 2.993
2nd: 1.992
3rd: 1.511
4th: 1.215
5th: 1.000
6th: 0.829
Final Gear: 3.540

Autoset 16

LSD
Initial: 10
Acceleration: 30
Deceleration: 10

Downforce
Amount: 30 / 30

Driving Aids

Netherlands may not be among the first answers to come to mind when thinking of countries that produce supercars. After all they used to make the (in)famous Volvo 300 and 400 series there... but they sure know how to make something quicker too.

Like the Spyker C8 Laviolette. The tiny car is packed with a luxurious looking interior and a big V8 making it something of the TGV of sports cars but the combination doesn't suit our needs. Screw luxury, we want raw power and speed. After a good working the engine is putting out almost 650 bhp and the interior has been torn apart in favour of a more purposeful approach that results in a featherweight figure of less than 950 kg - almost 300 kg less than a WRC car. Transferring the power to the road is a race spec package supplied by Audi and supposedly based on their R8 racing program parts. The already good aerodynamics didn't need much fiddling with but a rear wing of quite impressive size was fitted to combat instability at high speeds. And the name? It's a cross between a C8 and an R8 so it's obviously an RC8.

:drool: I want that Spyker! Expect a review in a day or so...Oh, and i'll probably review the second of your "Midship Madness" cars too.

img0019zm3.jpg

I don't know what it is about the Fiat 500. I really don't. I've always had a bit of a soft spot for it and I don't know why. I recently went on a holiday and came back with a scale model kit of one, and I don't even know why.

Maybe thats not a bad thing though. It prompted me to look at the MFT incarnation of the vehicle.

For a car that sports less engine volume than the volume of the glass I drink my beer out of, I have to be honest, I was not expecting much.

In some ways, I was right too. The engine is really the down point of this car. I know the technology is comparatively ancient, and the power that has been squeezed out of the little engine is truly nothing less than phenomenal, however I was always left with the feeling of wanting more.

It feels a little breathless. It feels like it needs another 1500 RPM on the redline before valve bounce. It needs more torque so you don't have to downshift while sliding, a relatively regular occurrence in the little Fiat. It needs...a motorbike engine. But we cant do that here, so lets just move on.

The downshifting, while happening often, is painless enough thanks to the quick, precise action of the five speed gearbox. The ratios are spaced out really well for the car.

The chassis is really quite well set up. The car has no bump steer characteristics, nor does it get tram lined by the contours in the road. This was really surprising in such a light vehicle. Sliding the car was easy enough to initiate, and to hold, as long as the engine held out.

img0020oi3.jpg

With sports or racing tyres, this could be quite a capable, good handling race car. Outfit it with street tyres and have some fun.

img0021jb8.jpg

I think that was most of the appeal of the little Fiat in the first place though. It was always a fun little car. Now MFT have just made it a different (and better) type of fun.

img0022gx9.jpg

Now what to do with that scale model...maybe some 500 RS stripes...

It took me long enough...

I was genuinely going to do the stripes, but this is the first real model I have done and I rapidly ran out of talent...hope the number plate is sufficient.

1002793gu.jpg

1002794.jpg

It took me long enough...

I was genuinely going to do the stripes, but this is the first real model I have done and I rapidly ran out of talent...hope the number plate is sufficient.

1002793gu.jpg

1002794.jpg

Sweet! Thanks for the dedication, pics saved on my computer :D really cheered up my day, I had a wisdom tooth pulled today :ouch:

Kingofweasles - Be careful with the one to come. Rumour has it that it's one of those that pushes the boundaries of our Expert badge... and from past experiments I believe the rumour might be true this time.

Review of the Triumph Spitfire Mk V '74

Braking:
The Triumph's brake/controller setting are very good and are very controllable.

Trans & diff
I also found that the gearing and differential well suited to the chassis/engine set-up.

Suspension:
The Spitfire chassis setting are almost spot on. It's mostly neutral at all points of the turns with a stight oversteer at high speed. I find that the Mk.V is a little slow reacting to steering inputs at high speed causing the small oversteer condition. So nice slow steering inputs are needed to give the car time reacted to input and the oversteer will not be a problem just like a Spitfire.

Overall this Spitfire is a great car to drive. I was running alot of 2'09.2xx lap times at GVS with the Mk.V. One more for the keeper's bin from the Mad Finntuner's.👍:cheers:

stidriver - Thanks for an excellent choice! The second gear is too tall as also noted in the setup post but it was a trade off between getting more revs out of the engine at higher gears and bogging down a bit at certain corners, after all it only affects a certain speed range (50-60 km/h comes to mind) so I went with this approach.

About the recent comments concerning the understeer in both the MX-5 and the Clio, a thread from some time back came to mind. Not addressed only for stidriver but for everybody, it might even have some truth in it... or then not. It would explain some things though.

Perhaps there really are slight differences that are big enough to affect the handling? I have no idea.

On the handling differences that slowman between NTSC and Pal version. I wish that I could try it out and see if that is the case.

On the MX-5 I must have missed the notes part when the set-up was printed.
It's a great set-up as is. I just see it as with 2 small tweaks allow you to make more fast laps easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back