Driving Challenges All golds *+gold member & 100% club*

• Thread starter Jay
  • 293 comments
Respect to all of you guys. I'm working on it now, and am more than half-way, but it's not easy for me ... I've driven with the wheel so long I have to relearn the controls a bit. I think I've saved all the gold replays so far, for future reference - some online databases for these kinds of challenges require you to supply them when challenged, or when you have a top 10 entry for instance. And some have even tougher requirements than the game itself - for instance in the overtaking challenges you're not allowed to touch the AI cars.

Did anyone else find that some challenges are much easier with the d-pad, and others much easier with the analog nub? Particularly with the slalom test for instance it seemed as if you could sustain higher speeds while slaloming using the analog nub.

I don't want to play down anyone's achievements but in my opinion the challenges in GT PSP were probably the easiest to achieve all gold of any of the series so far. Even though I haven't used a pad to play GT for over 5 years, most were done in the first few attempts and I didn't spend more than 10 minutes getting gold on any of the challenges. I hope the ones in GT5 will prove more of a challenge as the licence tests are one of the highlights for me.

Overall impressions of the game are very good though. I think this GT captures much of the spirit of the original game and the simplicity of the gameplay is refreshing and perfectly suited to the PSP. Great job PD 👍

I'm looking forward to trying out the ad-hoc mode with a couple of friends this weekend. :)

I don't want to play down anyone's achievements but in my opinion the challenges in GT PSP were probably the easiest to achieve all gold of any of the series so far. Even though I haven't used a pad to play GT for over 5 years, most were done in the first few attempts and I didn't spend more than 10 minutes getting gold on any of the challenges. I hope the ones in GT5 will prove more of a challenge as the licence tests are one of the highlights for me.

Overall impressions of the game are very good though. I think this GT captures much of the spirit of the original game and the simplicity of the gameplay is refreshing and perfectly suited to the PSP. Great job PD 👍

I'm looking forward to trying out the ad-hoc mode with a couple of friends this weekend. :)

I guess we will have to get PD, to make the licence tests a bit harder just for you.:sly: I think they need to make them a bit, easier for me though!

I don't want to play down anyone's achievements but in my opinion the challenges in GT PSP were probably the easiest to achieve all gold of any of the series so far.
I agree with you to an extent. The majority of the challenges were an easy gold; seemingly easier than previous Gran Turismo license tests/challenges. In fact, I was able to run through several with a gold time on my first attempt. However, a handful of these challenges are genuinely difficult, to which I'm sure many of the members here can attest. The two that immediately come to mind for me are both in the BMW M3 GTR race car... both deal with overtaking. One is the full lap at Grand Valley; the other is the brief section of the Nurburgring. Those proved to be just as hard for me (if not harder) than any of the previous challenges and license tests in the series. I probably spent between 30 and 45 minutes on each of those... they simply have no margin for error.

I think it's funny how GT has been slammed in the past by reviewers for the License Tests, but this time round they renamed them to Challenges and everyone is happy.

They just need to rename the first icon on the left to Career mode and I think it would get reviewed as 10/10.

I don't think it's the name, but rather in full GT it is a requirement if you wish to continue in the career mode you must obtain the licenses, which is easy to get bronze but it seems some people don't want to touch them at all.

All 102 done...

gtpsp_102.jpg

Any tips on both Tahiti Maze challenge ? I really struggle with those. Other one I'm missing is the Nurb bmw challenge but I know where I loose time there, I dont understand what I'm doing wrong on Tahiti maze tho.

Jay
Oh BTW I did it with Professional physics, manual (default layout D pad up and down) and no assist at all.

Who else has all golds?

You did it with Professional physics manual transmission and no assist at all. Thats very impressive :)
I have all Golds but i haven't finished the Driving Licences yet. I have gold A B C D E F G and H with Professional physics manual transmission and no assists. Till now it wasn't easy beleive me... When you finish N is the Driving Challenges over or it continues?

I say BS! The precision to some of those challenges can only be completed by a freakin' computer. I smell NitePR around this thread..
With the exception of a small number, most of these are easier than anything I have seen in previous GTs. While I haven't gotten gold on all of them, because I haven't tried, I do have a large number of golds and silvers without putting too much effort into it. I have zero doubt that the better players can easily get all golds and even average players can do it with some time and effort. I have even had a few instances where I went from repeatedly failing to gold on my first completion.

I'm not ploughing through the driving challenges on their own, rather mixing them with the single player stuff. But what I've done so far - which is all golds up to and including the G block - is a LOT easier than previous GTs.

Oh, and I'm using the D-pad rather than the analogue nipple.

Any tips on both Tahiti Maze challenge ? I really struggle with those. Other one I'm missing is the Nurb bmw challenge but I know where I loose time there, I dont understand what I'm doing wrong on Tahiti maze tho.

I suggest taking some laps in time trial mode. Remember, slower is faster sometimes.

Yeah, I have some gold and silver medals myself, but some of the challenges are freakin' tough to accomplish in gold. And yes, I'm using the d-pad as well, I find the analog lol "nipple" to sensitive to race with it.

I'm not ploughing through the driving challenges on their own, rather mixing them with the single player stuff. But what I've done so far - which is all golds up to and including the G block - is a LOT easier than previous GTs.

Oh, and I'm using the D-pad rather than the analogue nipple.
I have gotten to O because I am not focusing on getting all golds yet, and am mixing it up with Single Player racing. O-1 is the first time I actually felt like it might be impossible to pass (finally got it though). It was the first challenge I saw where miniscule mistakes were the difference between pass and fail. In fact, up to that point I think I may have had no more than two or three challenges where I crossed the finish line with a failing time. I have overcooked it and gone off track/hit a wall numerous times, but it is very rare for me to cross the line and not have a passing time.

The first set is similar to licenses and compared to past games they are extremely easy. The second set remind me more of the Missions in GT4, and these are much easier in comparison as well.

And before I got a wheel I was a 100% button guy. I feel as if that decade of button dedication has paid off.

I'm not sure if anyone noticed this, but if you saved your driving challenge replays, you can see (go to xmb/saved data utility and see the name under each replay file) that they are all done using Standard physics :crazy:. I'm shocked as well, but then again I don't recall seeing a physics option for the driving challenges (the physics option for single player mode is separate), so maybe PD kept it at Standard so it wouldn't be too hard for the average player.

As for getting all golds, I only have three words of advice to give anyone trying to attempt it: Exit-Oriented-Cornering. Keeping this in mind, I have been able to reduce my times by crazy amounts, but I'm not used to this kind of driving style so sometimes I still mess up repeatedly lol.

Is there a award for all silver? :)

I will gold them all in time, but frankly some of them I was just happy to be done with. However I don't settle for bronze ever.

I think us mainly silver guys should have a "That'll do stig, that'll do" badge.

This is what I usually do with full GT's, GT4 I didn't complete all golds until about a year after release, I was too busy playing the career and driving all the various cars on various tracks. I got the modivation to finish them off when I wanted the Model T.

This is most likely what I will do in GT5 again, mix them in and do the licenses as I am required.

With GT PSP I got my nice button tapping technique back, been a wheel only guy since GT4P. :D

Is there a award for all silver? :)

The only award for silver is you get more cash than bronze and the gold award is more cash than silver.

Last edited:
Jay
The only award for silver is you get more cash than bronze and the gold award is more cash than silver.

I was just joking. :cheers: I'm a more casual sort of GT player then most, but more serious than quite a few. Kind of like how I was described on my motorcycle forums, "A real mellow sort of guy who rides like he's trying to pass himself."

So take most things I say pretty lightly, cause that's how they're meant :D

On the serious though, if I hadn't seen you guys do all gold on these tests I would have written some of them off as impossible.

I doubt I'll ever get all golds. I'm having a hard time coming to grips with steering with that little slider button thingy.

The hardest test for me was H-1, passing the NSX on Fuji's front straight. I tried it over a hundred times (that's not an exaggeration, I counted. I finally got it on the 104th try) before I finally got it. I finally resorted to using the d-pads to steer, and it gave me the minute control I needed to keep in his draft and pull off the pass.

I swear the grand canyon mission with the Lancia is really pissing me off. Hopefully ill achieve all golds by the weekend.

I swear the grand canyon mission with the Lancia is really pissing me off. Hopefully ill achieve all golds by the weekend.

I believe I have my gold replay saved for that one. One of the corners can be cut in very, very close, probably much closer than you're going... I had trouble with it until I discovered that.

yeah its the first right corner right? because ill cut in and if I do it to close its a dnf. im stuck at 12.015 or some crap

I got all golds on A, they are easier than what has been in previous GT's. But they are still hard.

I got all Golds. I struggled a little with one of the Nurburgring ones, and the Lancia Grand Canyon one. For the latter I'd say watch the demonstration, it feels like it should be done a gear lower than is apparently a much faster way of doing it.

Good fun, and the best source of credits in the game. If I'd known how hard (time consuming) it would be to make 8million for the Ferrari F1 after doing these I wouldn't have spent them all so eagerly.

Back