NFS Shift(PC) VS GT5 [Graphic Comparison]

• Thread starter okami11408
  • 99 comments
Arguing over which one is the prettiest is pointless, seeing how both games look stunning. Now if we compare sound, that would be interesting.

Indeed, and the one big advantage the PC has, is mods. If the sound is weak, people will mod it. Hell, people will mod it anyway.

Very unfair if you ask me , most of your GT screen are from the photomode, all the NFS screens are from the ingame gameplay. GT is beautiful, but not that beautiful when you actually PLAY THE GAME.

here some of mine DIRECT FEED from the game I play, just REASCALED down:

Gtr2-02.jpg

bmw3.jpg

lotus2.jpg

Shift1.jpg

and:
Now if we compare sound, that would be interesting.
no comparison here, at least for the one who tried both games with a bose system 6.1 ;-)
Shift is WAY ahead!

Last edited:
Very unfair if you ask me , most of your GT screen are from the photomode, all the NFS screens are from the ingame gameplay. GT is beautiful, but not that beautiful when you actually PLAY THE GAME.

here some of mine DIRECT FEED from the game I play, just REASCALED down:

and:

no comparison here, at least for the one who tried both games with a bose system 6.1 ;-)
Shift is WAY ahead!

THE GAME IMO ;). No photomode, all ingame.

r83rik5.jpg

62633823dx8.jpg

isf4rtx9.jpg

111r2sih6.jpg

n1xn2a.jpg

f12.jpg

2mdgi1h.jpg

15qxohk.jpg

wd29.jpg

2z8vyap.jpg

11jqbo9.jpg

2gt5c2g.jpg

314w1ky.jpg

wd33.jpg

F40-rear-on-track.jpg

2329079929_65d84a33a4_o.jpg

f40gt5ppq7.jpg

dsc082392hh9.jpg

2qb9n5d.jpg

91m0dz.jpg

gtb.jpg

gtb2.jpg

fq24.jpg

fq31.jpg

fq32.jpg

fq34.jpg

wd54.jpg

art8.jpg

gran_turismo_5_prologue_165.jpg

gran_turismo_5_prologue_159.jpg

gran_turismo_5_prologue_158.jpg

gran_turismo_5_prologue_156.jpg

chswl.jpg

2jagupu.jpg

33yrlme.jpg

mm62s2.jpg

2gwvts8.jpg

oa10mg.jpg

ruliweb_ghokor_11.jpg

ruliweb_ghokor_21.jpg

ruliweb_fr_15.jpg

ruliweb_fr_22.jpg

And none of these pics are 1080p and i bet only a few of you view them via an HDMI cable on your HDTV (which makes a huge difference).

Photomode is exactly what you see in game, just supersampled with added motion blur and depth of field. Easier on the eyes and better looking, yes. However, if you're able to see past the added effects, you will see all the rest are exactly the same. Textures, polygons, lighting, shadows, reflections...

Agree.

I also notice the graphics on shift really suck at times, like in replays and on the menus too. Theres usually alot of jaggies. And yes im running it at 720p HD.

Shift seems to have a Forza look to the lighting and reflections which isn't always very realistic. A few years ago, we would have wet ourselves over them, but the PS3 still gives the PC a hard run.

SHIFT has better looking TREES! BY A MILE!!

:mischievous:

What else can make you want to buy a racing game more, than better looking trees. One 👍 man :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Shift fails because its on PC and it looks worse than GT on PS3. You can't make an excuse for that. Average PC runs over PS3, High-end PC destroys PS3 yet EA takes none of those advantages and spends no real effort on detail.

Typical EA merchandise, they wrap it up in a pretty marketing campaign and then wait for the fish to take the bait. Quantity over quality, simple economy of scale applied in the gaming world. Why should they change when it works? EA is one of the biggest and richest game company’s out there. Its not all crapy games but most of them are.

Well Shift is better than Forza 3. Though it holds well against GT5, but those trees are just textures it seem, I could show you some flaws in the cars.

Look at the Elise 2 pages behind, at the right fender (away from the view) you could see bumps and an uneven and unsmooth surface, and also note the jagged reflections on the Porsche below it.

Its those little things which make a big difference, which make GT5 look miles better than any racing game.

And none of these pics are 1080p and i bet only a few of you view them via an HDMI cable on your HDTV (which makes a huge difference).

True True, and if you don't play thru HDMI in 1080p i dont think you can say if it looks bad, because if you're RCA'ing your PS3 everythings gonna look clunky and blurry.

And that BMW Shift pic, are you kidding me, the wheels are halfway in the ground on some quicksand ish.

The fact that Shift's graphics are equal with GT5P is astonishing frankly.

I would be shocked if Shift's development team had even 10% of Polyphony's budget at their disposal.
Additionally, how long was Shift in development?
1 year, maybe a year and a half? How many staff did EA assign for Shift's development?
Probably around half the staff that worked on GT5P (just a guess, but I'm sure the fanboys will correct me if I'm wrong here).
And Polyphony are basically the "Works" team for Sony. Are there any other developers who have better access to the full
might of the PS3's processing power, and the means to take advantage of it?

And, judging by screenshots of GT5, the graphics there are only marginally--not dramatically--improved from GT5P. So Shift's visuals should be on par with that game too.

And the PS3 version of Shift is pretty much on par with GT5P as well if you ask me, and a lot of other people would agree.
Shift's graphics had to be optimized for two platforms, whereas GT5P was only developed for one platform. Another advantage for Polyphony.

Last edited:
Shift's dev team had more people working, and I don't think its budget could have possible been only 10% of GT5's, it must certainly be more than that.

And the graphics of GT5 have vastly improved over GT5P. I can note the lighting and reflections are the main points which have been improved. To top that off, PD managed to get damage as well as an improved physics engine in two years, that's something impressive.

Shift certainly looks better than most racing games, even Forza 3, but its nowhere near GT5's graphics.

And the PS3 version of Shift is pretty much on par with GT5P as well if you ask me, and a lot of other people would agree.

I have to disagree.

The PS3 version of Shift doesn't look nearly as good as in the video's and pictures EA showed (as usual), and the framerate isn't smooth.

GT5P on the other hand looks great and runs very smooth.

PS3 version of shift is not even on par with 360 version and game also runs only 30fps(cs 60fps on forza 3 ang GT5:P)

As I said before the Shift pics posted look much better than those of GT5P... however whenever I play GT5P on PS3 I'm amazed how clean( and a bit lifeless ;) ) it looks.
So in the end it's not fair comparing PS3 to PC games, you can't even turn off the motion blurriness on PS3.
However I like Shift a lot and I think despite the bugs they have done an amazing job overall! 👍

GT5P owns Shift Graphically and physically. (When played on PS3) But when I look at the PC screens, shift doesn't look that bad. Still, GT5P owns it. But they really need to do something about those jaggy shadows.

Also i noticed in GT5P, a reflection or two shine on the cars at the wrong time ( happens on Fuji ).Also the door mirrors reflections are shown in the wrong mirror ( 3rd person view ).

Back