PS3 Failures Featured On Watchdog

• Thread starter Robin
  • 80 comments
Costco it turns out, and we also can't find a receipt (which is odd, we normally keep them). We aren't sure if we paid with cash or credit card, at the moment we can't find any evidence (in bank statements or otherwise).
Assuming Costco is the same over there as here, I think they keep a database of what every member buys(hence the reason they swipe your member card before checking you out). You could call and ask though, normally member based stores are the easiest when it comes to returns.

A friend of mine wrote to Watchdog regarding his console. It broke under warranty and he sent it back for repair. Two weeks later he received it back with a refusal note, citing water damage and tampering (missing screws) - the console had never been opened and spent its life in a "cinema" room, never coming near water. The case had gouges from where it had been pried open by the engineers (he took several photographs before and after).

He tried to boot it up and it generated a completely different error to before. After several attempts to get an explanation - each time being fobbed off with "water damage" and "tampering" - before eventually getting a complaints address. 2 weeks later and there is no word on any progress.

Yep. XBox360.

Update!

"Hi, I'm Chris from Xbox support. I'm just calling to say that we're not going to be fixing your Xbox, now or ever. This complaint is now closed."

Wow, you could take that for a sarcastic reply, couldn't you? Poor Nev, that is really woeful service. I may have something up my sleeve on that one, though....

Could this issue with the new PS3 have anything to do with GT5 delay?

The issue that they "investigated" was with the launch consoles, not the Slim. Also, a problem with the PS3 wouldn't delay any game.

There is an issue? I thought we established that Watchdog was full of crap because they were arguing with Sony over whether it was the 12,500 they claim or the 5% Sony claims (which is the same).

Famine
A friend of mine wrote to Watchdog regarding his console. It broke under warranty and he sent it back for repair. Two weeks later he received it back with a refusal note, citing water damage and tampering (missing screws) - the console had never been opened and spent its life in a "cinema" room, never coming near water. The case had gouges from where it had been pried open by the engineers (he took several photographs before and after).

He tried to boot it up and it generated a completely different error to before. After several attempts to get an explanation - each time being fobbed off with "water damage" and "tampering" - before eventually getting a complaints address. 2 weeks later and there is no word on any progress.

Yep. XBox360.

Update!

"Hi, I'm Chris from Xbox support. I'm just calling to say that we're not going to be fixing your Xbox, now or ever. This complaint is now closed."

Update!

Apparently he decided that the draw of FM3 was too much and temptation got the better of him... I'll leave it to his own words from this very morning...

Yeah baby!
Got me one of the very first Xbox 360 Super Elites in the country!

NewSexbox.jpg

Look at it, all sexy, boxed up there with Forza 3 ready to go!

Lets unpack the little beauty and see what we find:
PSU.jpg

Woo Hoo! It's even a Falcon Core. Smaller PSU and 12.1 Amp power rating confirm it. Manufacture date is 25/08/2009 if that bothers you....

Twotowers.jpg

Side by side, old and new. Not much to see apart from the Speshul Edishun 250Gb Hard Disc Drive.

Of course, these two consoles are the same in one very important respect:

RRODLol.jpg

NURSE!

I genuinely :lol: 'd
That's what you get for crawling back to Microsoft with £250 in your sweaty palm.

:lol:

Woah, he already has red ring of death?!!

He should stop tampering and spilling water on them!

RROD out of the box. A Falcon-core Super Elite, FM3 Special Edition.

It's hard not to laugh, I have been tempted several times to get another 360, but I know it'll end with me getting very annoyed.

That's shocking, pretty identical to mine. Which was faulty out of the box.

I bought my first 360 after they switched to 65nm on GPU and it has been working nice. My PS3 and 360 have tilted couple of times but no major problems with either of them.

My friends PS3 finally went down. First it gave him the blinking red light and would turn itself off, and finally last night it gave him the YLOD. He had a release date 60 gig that he plans on keeping (possibly fixing himself). He plans on buying a PS3 slim tonight (he needs a new controller, so he's planning on just spending the extra money and getting a new one) but wants to know if he can still get his save files off his old one at all?

Would switching the HD from the old one to the new one, transferring saves to a USB stick and then switching HD's around again in order to put his old saves on the new HD in his new PS3 work?

My friends PS3 finally went down. First it gave him the blinking red light and would turn itself off, and finally last night it gave him the YLOD. He had a release date 60 gig that he plans on keeping (possibly fixing himself). He plans on buying a PS3 slim tonight (he needs a new controller, so he's planning on just spending the extra money and getting a new one) but wants to know if he can still get his save files off his old one at all?

Would switching the HD from the old one to the new one, transferring saves to a USB stick and then switching HD's around again in order to put his old saves on the new HD in his new PS3 work?

No the HDD won't work from another PS3. It'll just ask you to reformat so that it can be used.

All you can do is fix it yourself and hope it lasts long enough to recover the data and backup your data in future.

RROD out of the box. A Falcon-core Super Elite, FM3 Special Edition.

Do you mean Jasper units or is it really a Falcon?

Just that I read the Forza 250GB bundles were not Jaspers and I phoned shopto up and they said they won't be as well so I bought a 120GB elite that I think has the Jasper chip-set.

Going by the date, that FM3 bundle should be a Jasper.

Speaking of console ****-ups. I got a 360 elite on friday for forza 3, it had a manufacture date of september (Last month!). It was a Jasper with the smaller PSU.

I played Forza 3 and enjoyed it on saturday. Came to play it again on sunday........... No discs would read in the console.

**** you microsoft. It went back to the store for a refund. Which is a shame as I liked Forza 3, but i'm not putting up with MS's cheap **** hardware.

Never again, microsoft.

I don't like that FM3 has "Bundle Copy" written on the front?!

Why do they do that? - Seems very odd... it's a bit like writing "multipack - not for indiviudal resale" on the back!?

C.

After not using my PS3 for 4 days, i have just tried to turn it on and got a green light for a second, slight yellow then red light/off.

it happens evrytime i try to turn it on.

my COD disc is in it still.

DO I........

....Buy a secondhand one and copy the hard rive?? or is my hard drive the problem??

....Buy a new one and swap the hard drive over?? do they fit??

....try and get a replacement from sony??

....get mine fixed locally??

boo hooooo

Back