RKM Motorsport - Tuned Tuners - May '13

A review for the:

RKM Motorsport’s Mustang Mach R-itssm

FordMustangMachR.jpg

FordMustangMachR_Big.jpg

Based on: 1971 Mustang Mach 1
Obtained: New Car Dealer

After the nice respons on my mx-5 review i decided to do some more reviews, for these 2 awesome Tuners with their awesome Tunes.
(updated the mx-5 review with pictures of my own car)

The Mustang:

LagunaSecaRaceway.jpg

This car has many races it can be tested in.

I tested it in the classic muscle car championship,
the muscle car championship, and offcourse the laguna seca 200 miles.

The first feel:

After testing this car i renamed the car to Ford Mach R-itssm.
Ill explain that later when i come to the endurance race of Lacuna Seca.

The Mustang is one of my favorite cars out there. Allways was.
I allready had a Mustang wich i tuned myself. This one wasnt very special while using it. So i bought a new one, to tune it RKM style.

Before i went to the endurance race i wanted to get used to the car so i did both the classic as the normal muscle car championship.

Wooow, what a blast this car is. My first try was at monza, from start to the first corner it was nothing but extreme acceleration and a ******** of smoke.
I had to use very little throttle in the corners to get a nice oversteer. Than when i got control over the car again i could smack the pedal to the metal. And even than loads of smoke behind me. If you start accelerating from below 50kp/h you have one smoke burst till you get above 120kp/h.

I won both championships miles ahead off my oponents. But it doesnt come as easy as it sounds.

Lacuna Seca 200 miles

I menaged to learn how to handle the car, and tought i was ready for this event. I knew it would be harder to win, since there is faster competition than in the other 2 events.

After the countdown i gave full throttle, and even from a rolling start everything behind me turned into smoke. I went all the way, and pushed the car to the max. Every slow corner turns out to be a fast one with this car. And after the 2nd lap i was about 8seconds in front of my oponents.

Than i noticed something bad. When entering lap 3, my tires where almost worn off. So after the end of lap 4 i had to enter the pit (15 seconds ahead) to find i had to change my strategy. When coming out i was about 10 seconds behind #2. So i eased on the throttle but than after another 15 laps i was on the 8th position but couldnt climb up without shredding my tires.

So i went back into the pits and changed to hard sports tires (wich i had bought in case if the car would be shredding the tires completely).

On the hard tires the car just didnt had enough grip to put all the bhp on the track. So after about 35 laps i decided to quit.

The Verdict:

I absolutely loved this car, its extreme hard to handle. And you really have the idea you have to tame this mustang, or you will never be able to control it.

The rename stands for Mustang Mach R-Insane Tire Shredding Smoke Machine. The idea of having a car that produces smoke on about 30% of the average track is awesome. But smoke doesnt come from a smoke machine but from burning/smelting/shredded tires.

So therefor this tune is completely useless for races that let you burn up your tires.

For everything else its awesome.
I played it with a DS3 but i could feel it would be more fitting for a Race Wheel.

Thanks Kyle for making me feel like a rodeo cowboy on this ride.

Mustang Mach R-itssm
Handling: 6/10
Performance: 9/10
Fun: 10/10
For the Lacuna Seca 200 miles endurance: 2/10

LagunaSecaRaceway_1.jpg

Last edited:
The race went very well, 2-3 seconds ahead of the competition through qualifying.

Very stable and finished third. (I was first but i was waiting for others to catch up and they just passed me ><)

RKM Motorsport’s Rotary Junkie’s Roj’s Golf

RJsGolf.jpg

RJsGolf_Big.jpg

Based on: Volkswagen Golf IV GTI ‘01
Obtained: Brand new model at Volkswagen

Drivetrain: FF
Horsepower: 323 BHP (@ 168.2 miles)
Torque:---- 36 kgfm
Weight:---- 980 kg
PP:-------- 506

PARTS
GT Auto

Oil Change
Racing Modifications
BBS LM-R Wheels

Tuning Shop
Engine Tuning Stage 3
Sports ECU
Sports Intake Manifold
Racing Air Filter
Titanium Racing Exhaust
Sports Exhaust Manifold
Catalytic Converter: Sports
High RPM Range Turbo Kit
Fully Customisable Transmission
Twin Plate Clutch
Semi Racing Flywheel
Fully Customisable LSD
Fully Customisable Suspension Kit
Sports Soft Tyres

SETUP

Body/Chassis
Aerodynamics

Downforce: 15/25

Ballast
Amount:-- 0
Position: 0

Engine
Power Limiter

Power Level: 100.0%

Transmission
Transmission

(Set Max Speed, then each individual ratio.)
1st:-- 2.742
2nd:-- 1.844
3rd:-- 1.375
4th:-- 1.066
5th:-- 0.861
Final: 3.840
Max Speed: 174 MPH

Drivetrain
Differential

Initial: 11/0
Accel:-- 35/0
Braking: 9/0

Suspension
Suspension

Ride Height: -25/-25
Spring Rate: 11.6/4.5
Extension:-- 8/4
Compression: 6/5
Anti-Roll:-- 3/2
Camber:----- 1.9/1.6
Toe:-------- –0.20/-0.05

Brakes
Brake Balance Controller

Brake Balance: 7/9

Intended Driving Options
Transmission: Manual (MT)
ABS: 1
Everything else: OFF

Tuner Comments:
I was in the market for a Golf and this guy called Rotary Junkie had one up for trade. We struck a deal and I walked away with a hot little Golf. It already had the work done to it, racing modifications included, so I gave it new paint, some new wheels and started messing around with it. After changing suspension, gearbox and LSD settings, the Golf was faster overall compared to before. It easily gobbled up an R8 and a couple of M5’s around the Nurburgring.

24th Feb 2011 - Transmission & ballast/power settings.

Last edited:
R34 Skyline GTR VspecII NUR

465HP/431ft-lb
Aero, Racing Medium tires, Stage 3 weight reduction and Stage 2 Engine upgrade. ECU upgrade also. Intake upgrade, exhaust upgrade and stock turbo. Everything else maxed

Just wanted to drop you guys a line and thank you for putting together that tune for the R34. That tune has netted me a time trial time of 7:20 on NN . It was my first attempt and I know there is room for improvement once I feel how far i can push the car. Also I have used that tune as a base for my R33 and I have to say it has worked well. Again Thank you. Your garage will be my stop for any tune that I am having trouble with.

Hi guys i'm wondering if you would be able to do a tune for my Spyker C8 Laviolette. I have the car (with all parts unfortunately, it's how it came to me), but it's just unmanageable.

Last edited:
The March Super Turbo really looks great, deffinately on my to do list! "All you have to worry about is it imagining the look on that M3 driver&#8217;s face when he realises he can&#8217;t shake you. " Truly epic!

Really love the RX7 and RS6 tunes aswell, keep up the good (scratch that) amazing work.

Also I know its a fairly rare car, but could you tune a CR-X SiR? I was thinking of trying the (EK) Civic tune on one, but i read in this thread i beleive, that although cars may be similair they can behave quite differently. You were talking about using your RX7 tune on an infini RX7.

Last edited:
Can you guys do a tune for the RE Amemiya RX7 FD? I recently used your evo x tune and love it!

The Amemiya felt a bit wrong to me when I had one, it also seems to have somewhat less potential than the Spirit R.

R34 Skyline GTR VspecII NUR

465HP/431ft-lb
Aero, Racing Medium tires, Stage 3 weight reduction and Stage 2 Engine upgrade. ECU upgrade also. Intake upgrade, exhaust upgrade and stock turbo. Everything else maxed

Just wanted to drop you guys a line and thank you for putting together that tune for the R34. That tune has netted me a time trial time of 7:20 on NN . It was my first attempt and I know there is room for improvement once I feel how far i can push the car. Also I have used that tune as a base for my R33 and I have to say it has worked well. Again Thank you. Your garage will be my stop for any tune that I am having trouble with.

Good to hear it.

Hi guys i'm wondering if you would be able to do a tune for my Spyker C8 Laviolette. I have the car (with all parts unfortunately, it's how it came to me), but it's just unmanageable. I'll try to write a review for one of your cars if you'd like me to, but it may have to wait a couple of days until I get home from uni. Just tell me which car needs a review :)

It being a few days is no problem at all, I've got a few cars to finish up as it is. That said, a review on the Camaro would be great and a comparison to Lion's Den Performance's take would be even better (yes, I realize that's technically two tunes). Please don't just say our car is better if it's truly not in your opinion though.

The March Super Turbo really looks great, deffinately on my to do list! "All you have to worry about is it imagining the look on that M3 driver’s face when he realises he can’t shake you. " Truly epic!

Really love the RX7 and RS6 tunes aswell, keep up the good (scratch that) amazing work.

Also I know its a fairly rare car, but could you tune a CR-X SiR? I was thinking of trying the (EK) Civic tune on one, but i read in this thread i beleive, that although cars may be similair they can behave quite differently. You were talking about using your RX7 tune on an infini RX7.

The EK tune should actually work reasonably well on the CR-X although it may wind up being a little too tailhappy on throttle. If that's the case, stiffening the rear springs or front stabilizer slightly should sort it.

The RX-7 will be receiving a reworked setup soon, I was happy with it initially but not so much now.

I Love the March Super Turbo, you really should re-word your comments for that car, it was the look on the Murcielago driver's face I was wanting to see. I'ts funny but when they realise they can't shake you they drive even worse then they were, which in turn lead to me slipping by them. (london circuit)

I've used LDP's setup for the veyron, It did make it "better" but I would be interested to see what you guys could acheive with one, do you have any plans to tune a veyron?

Can't wait to try the new settings for the Rx7!! :D (can you even improve on what feels like perfection to drive??)

Can i put a link to this page in my sig? I really think that the people who don't know about you (If there are any) really ought to.

Last edited:
It being a few days is no problem at all, I've got a few cars to finish up as it is. That said, a review on the Camaro would be great and a comparison to Lion's Den Performance's take would be even better (yes, I realize that's technically two tunes). Please don't just say our car is better if it's truly not in your opinion though.

Well offcourse i dont mind if he would do this review.
But since the Mustang couldnt win the 200 miles of lacuna seca im planning on using the camaro, since i want to win it with a similair car as the competition.

Would love to use the Golf Roj posted for this event as well so i really dont mind ;)

Well offcourse i dont mind if he would do this review.
But since the Mustang couldnt win the 200 miles of lacuna seca im planning on using the camaro, since i want to win it with a similair car as the competition.

Would love to use the Golf Roj posted for this event as well so i really dont mind ;)

The Golf will likely have tire wear issues as well as being somewhat slower than the Mustang. The entire reason he wound up with it was because it wasn't really as fast in a straight line as the specs would suggest, so fine-tuning the suspension further wasn't entirely worth it to me. The Camaro on the other hand is about 4 seconds per lap MINIMUM faster than the Mustang at Trial Mountain.

What car would you recommend that is 600BHP or under with GOOD handling?

Looking at the GTR SpecV 09 but any other suggestions?

The Golf will likely have tire wear issues as well as being somewhat slower than the Mustang. The entire reason he wound up with it was because it wasn't really as fast in a straight line as the specs would suggest, so fine-tuning the suspension further wasn't entirely worth it to me. The Camaro on the other hand is about 4 seconds per lap MINIMUM faster than the Mustang at Trial Mountain.

Okey i will look into the camaro, and if you can give me a link for the camaro of the other guy you mentioned for the comparison i will look into that as well. Maybe even buy 2 camaro's :P

What car would you recommend that is 600BHP or under with GOOD handling?

Looking at the GTR SpecV 09 but any other suggestions?

If you buy an R35 I will be forced to at least disown you if not worse.

That said, the 2010 Camaro is freakishly good handling for how big it is, same for the BMW M5. That said, those are my best handling 600hpish cars so beyond that I really don't know of any true standouts in the game.

Okey i will look into the camaro, and if you can give me a link for the camaro of the other guy you mentioned for the comparison i will look into that as well. Maybe even buy 2 camaro's :P

Paulie's Camaro can be found here.

A versus review for the:

RKM Motorsport’s Camaro SC550

CamaroSC550.jpg

CamaroSC550_Big.jpg

Based on: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro
Obtained: New Car Dealer

And the Lion's Den Performance; LDP Camaro ZL1 Predator Edition
(542hp/404kw @ 6,500rpm) (673Nm @ 5,000rpm) (1318kg)

Found: here

Both cars are pretty impressive, while the RKM is supercharged, the Lion's Den version has its bhp from other parts.

The other differences can be viewed on both original topics.

The test:

AbdijvanSanGalgano_1.jpg

I test my cars on the Grand Valley speed way, due to its various straights corners, chicanes etc.

Every car in my favorites is tested here.

RKM's Camaro:

The Camaro is a pure muscle car. The car is a lot faster than you would expect from a muscle car with 550hp. Its acceleration isnt really special, but it eats its way trough corners really well.

While heading forward to the first hairpin corner i brake hard, the car brakes very slow but while braking your able to let your rear break out. When you do this you slam the throttle and you blast smoking through the corner.

On the straights its acceleration is okey but you get the feeling your not pulling the car to its max.

The handling of the car is pretty hard. Once you've driven more laps you get used to it, and it gets really fun to drive this car.

Fastest lap i menaged within about 20 laps is 2:01:302

Lion's Den Camaro:

When i gave full throttle in this Camaro i notice its acceleration feels faster.
You get a little less smoke than with the RKM version but still loads of it.

Driving forward to the first hairpin i braked hard again. I noticed that braking is easier cause it slows down much faster. Its a bit harder to let your back break out but its doable pretty well. Once you slam the throttle it will burst out of the corner, but its extremely hard to keep control, at least in the case of a DS3 controller.

While its so hard to control you make more small mistakes and ocasionally a big mistake.

The big upside of this car is that you have the absolute feeling of pressing this car to its limits all the time. Only while braking it feels a bit dull to me.

My average lap time is a lot slower than the RKM version about 2-10 seconds each lap.

But the fastest lap was made with the Lion's Den version.
Dropping below the 2 minute border with 1:59:486

Verdict:

RKM's Camaro
Handling: 7/10
Performance: 7/10
Fun: 8/10
For the Lacuna Seca 200 miles endurance: 2/10 (its tire shredding as well)

Lion's Den Camaro
Handling: 4/10
Performance: 9/10
Fun: 8/10
For the Lacuna Seca 200 miles endurance: 3/10 (shreds tires a little less than the RKM)

AbdijvanSanGalgano.jpg

Maybe my wheel tuning efforts on this particular car didn't suit the controller too well, but thanks for that review.👍
I won't boast about my own lap time at GVS either.;)

Very intriguing results. I think, no, I'm positive, that LDP's Camaro was tuned for a rather skilled driver and as a result is fast when you get it right but that's not as often for mere mortals as would be wanted.

I'm more interested in the fact you find my setup to stop slower as well as accelerate slower though; part of it is likely in where you're shifting as the Lion's Den Camaro is built to shift much later than mine. With my car, optimum shift point seems to be around 6250rpm which is slightly lower than redline whereas Paulie prescribes a 7000RPM shift point. Braking however I've only got a vague idea of what's gone wrong which will require some testing.

Also interesting is the LDP Camaro exhibiting less tire wear; it may be due in part to the peakier power delivery and lower torque output at low revs (resulting in less wheelspin, along with the stiffer differential settings making it even more difficult to induce wheelspin) but this is pure speculation.

Edit: @Paulie... I saw what you did in that thing at GVS online... Roughly 2.5 seconds quicker than my lap! Then again, that's your home track whereas Trial Mountain is mine.

Edit 2: Updated brake balance settings, should be worth a few tenths at minimum. Oh, and Paulie... I tune with a wheel too, you're just an alien and therefore nobody else can drive your cars consistently. :P

Last edited:
Very intriguing results. I think, no, I'm positive, that LDP's Camaro was tuned for a rather skilled driver and as a result is fast when you get it right but that's not as often for mere mortals as would be wanted.
Edit: @Paulie... I saw what you did in that thing at GVS online... Roughly 2.5 seconds quicker than my lap! Then again, that's your home track whereas Trial Mountain is mine.

Edit 2: Updated brake balance settings, should be worth a few tenths at minimum. Oh, and Paulie... I tune with a wheel too, you're just an alien and therefore nobody else can drive your cars consistently. :P

Darn it, too many years practising on GT5:Prologue.:lol: Was that 2.5sec in qualifying? I seem to recall beating you at Trial Mountain as well.:sly: But it's much closer there. I also recall your car being faster off the line when that race started, I don't know if that was just you getting better traction or maybe your car has better acceleration, I would have thought yours would have accelerated faster. And me an alien? Have you forgotten our little slowest fast driver talk?:sly:

Darn it, too many years practising on GT5:Prologue.:lol: Was that 2.5sec in qualifying? I seem to recall beating you at Trial Mountain as well.:sly: But it's much closer there. I also recall your car being faster off the line when that race started, I don't know if that was just you getting better traction or maybe your car has better acceleration, I would have thought yours would have accelerated faster. And me an alien? Have you forgotten our little slowest fast driver talk?:sly:

The 2.5sec was in qualifying. I think the reason I got the jump was I launched at partial throttle and hit 2nd early. The parts differences are worth 2hp at peak in my favor once the car's worn in fully but about 50 ft-lbs more torque available 300rpm earlier.

And yeah, you're presently faster at Trial... But that's because I've not gotten a single lap in without at least half a second of known mistakes. :sly:

As for the slowest fast guy thing... You're still in alien territory, just not deep in it.

Cool, ill get on it tomorrow, add my psn and ill send you the car once I get online if you don't have one

Cool, ill get on it tomorrow, add my psn and ill send you the car once I get online if you don't have one

A'ight. Car doesn't go back to you until you post a review though. ;)

Would you tune a car for me by commission?
That would be very, very cool :)

Let me know, if that would be possible :)

PM me and define commission. The "normal" route is to just review a car and get one tuned in return, but if you've got something else in mind I'm open to it.

If you buy an R35 I will be forced to at least disown you if not worse.

That said, the 2010 Camaro is freakishly good handling for how big it is, same for the BMW M5. That said, those are my best handling 600hpish cars so beyond that I really don't know of any true standouts in the game.

Paulie's Camaro can be found here.

Why do you guys hate the R35 so much?

Ok, I just got GT5 today and I'm looking forward to tune up that honda civic ek. Can you guys give me an estimate of how much it would cost for the whole tune excluding the car price.

A'ight. Car doesn't go back to you until you post a review though. ;)

Hi I got back a bit early and have just got the 2 camaros, however, both you and Lions den say you have purchased the semi-racing exhaust for the two cars, so I did, but I find I am slightly below the power levels listed for each car, and that the only way to go from what I have to what you've stated is with the Racing Exhaust. I've got all the other parts on right, so could this be a slight error on the threads, or could my eu/signature edition have different names on it? I'll stick with the semi racing for now, unless you want me to change

Hi I got back a bit early and have just got the 2 camaros, however, both you and Lions den say you have purchased the semi-racing exhaust for the two cars, so I did, but I find I am slightly below the power levels listed for each car, and that the only way to go from what I have to what you've stated is with the Racing Exhaust. I've got all the other parts on right, so could this be a slight error on the threads, or could my eu/signature edition have different names on it? I'll stick with the semi racing for now, unless you want me to change

After driving the cars for a while and having changed the oil, etc, the LDP car will have 545hp and mine will have 547. It's just that you haven't broken them in yet.

Back