Mad FinnTuners Co. - Finished 081213 - The Final Countdown, 4, 3, 2, 1, OUT!

• Thread starter Greycap
  • 1,705 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Leonidae - Lack of power? Don't you mean the ~80 bhp advantage which still doesn't help with it being three seconds slower? ;)

Corthalis - Expert class, my friend, expert class. The red text isn't there for nothing.

In fact quite looking forward to my request being done :) Tried the MX-5 in the same race as the Ford and Volvo in the meantime - the tuner challenge. For some reason no S2000 GT-1 turbos around but the normal thing was there. Managed a second and a first place. While my best time was only marginally better than the Ford (and more than a second better than the Volvo), I found it much easier to recover from a mistake, of which I made more. The good thing was that you could easily bounce back after a failed braking zone, something difficult to achieve with the FF cars - a place lost there is often for good. And the MX-5 is definitely good for overtaking both an AI driven Yellowbird and a NA S2000 GT-1 - I guess something to be proud of :)

I have also had some time to test your 'request car' Greycap, with great success :) Not quite where I want to end up time-wise (working on my driving as we speak) - with low 1.48s around GVS but a definite improvement over previous form. Shaved almost 2 secs off the High Speed Ring, with same power and weight, too - which is none too shabby. :) As said, much obliged!

RUF BTR '86 "Robin"

663 bhp, 737 Nm, 1062 kg
Painted in Mars Red from Audi

Clickable for full size

Parts to fit:
Oil Change
Rear Wing Type B
Engine overhaul
Restore Body Rigidity
Chassis Weight Reduction Stage 3
Rigidity Improvement
Engine Tuning Stage 3
Sports ECU
Sports Intake Manifold
Titanium Racing Exhaust
Sports Exhaust Manifold
High RPM Range Turbo Kit
Fully Customizable Transmission
Fully Customizable LSD
Fully Customizable Suspension Kit
Racing Medium Tyres

Price: It's a RUF, what do you think..?

Aerodynamics
Downforce: 0 / 20

Transmission

Gear Ratios
1st: 2.721
2nd: 1.696
3rd: 1.183
4th: 0.870
5th: 0.674
6th: 0.551
Final Gear: 4.000

Top speed: 440 km/h

Fully Customizable LSD
Initial Torque: 60
Acceleration Sensitivity: 60
Braking Sensitivity: 45

Suspension
Ride Height Adjustment (mm): -25 / -20
Spring Rate (kgf/mm): 10.0 / 8.0
Dampers (Extension): 6 / 10
Dampers (Compression): 8 / 2
Anti-Roll Bars: 4 / 5
Camber Angle (-): 2.3 / 2.0
Toe Angle: -0.30 / 0.20

Brake Balance Controller
Brake Balance: 0 / 0

Driving Options
ASM: Off
TCS: 0
ABS: 1

Meet the latest member of MFT's bird-related axe murderers. Despite of the nickname "Robin" after a small, delicate bird, this machine commands serious power and strength. The size of the rear wing alone is a telltale sign that this little birdie will peck your eyes out if you even look at it in a funny manner. And as the action shots reveal, she will devastate her tyres just as fast as she devastates her opponents.. But with great power comes a great burden.. You need to know when to use the power for the greater good. Otherwise, you will only harm yourself and possibly other as you spin out of control on 4th gear at 120mph+.

Last edited:
3009sw7sw7yu.gif

Now look what you did.. You drove him batty!

I think that the MX-5 will be bit easier to drift due the light weight and power..

Review for the Dodge Challenger Hemi

Dodge Challenger Hemi T-A #18 '70

665+ bhp, 90+ kgfm, 1260 kg
Painted in Bright Red from Dodge

Clickable for full size

Ah yes, American cars. Somehow once you cross the big pond people suddenly forget that roads can have turns. This car was no exception in the base form, but after MFT worked around with it a bit at least it got somewhat better.

Still, thats not what this car is about, at least not for me. What this car CAN do is sticking to the road at high speed and its damn good at that. Driving it around the Nurburgring the car didnt feel close to getting uncontrollable even once. Unless of course you let some of those 650+ horses loose on the grass but at that point its really your own fault.

Also the car is rather light for a car of this kind (after the racing mod of course ;P). So unless you want to take it to the GP/F track on the 'ring it will perform just perfectly. There are a few section on the Nordschleife that this car does not handle optimally, at least for me but 95% of the track seem just alright. What it lacks in nimbleness it makes up with raw power. Accelerating out of corners is a pleasure with this car. After playing around with it a bit you learn just the right spot to engage the throttle and set that rear loose just for a moment to get it facing in the right direction again.

All in all a pretty good and most of all fun car to drive: 7.5/10 (rating influenced by my general dislike of american cars except a few, dont take it personally ;P)

Also i got a Nissan Fairlady Z 300 ZX TT 2 seater (the premium one) for my birthday. In honor of it can i ask you to make me a tune for this car? Just what you would do with it if the car was yours.

Last edited:
Say Leo, judging by those LSD settings one could be fooled into thinking that BTR was initially a bit hairy to drive.:lol: I also noticed, it would appear Robin should have been named after an African frog, it would appear she changed to a he then back to a she while devastating tyres and opponents.;)

RUF BTR '86 "Robin"

663 bhp, 737 Nm, 1062 kg
Painted in Mars Red from Audi

Clickable for full size

I tried this out, i opted out of getting the wing, so it won't be entirely as intended, but i'm not too fond of the look of the wing, despite it's functionality.

Though, that said.
The car still handles beautifully, i wouldn't be able to say it's on rails...
I've kept mine in the baby blue stock color, and with all the power, the car is pretty much a baby blue smoke machine, this tuning setup doesn't change that, what the tune enables, is the ability to control the madness, even if it's only a hint of control.

Though, for a good driver, this is that little bit needed to control this beast of a RUF, something that actually reminds me of a Group B rally car of sorts, dancing from side to side through corners... and straights.
Even have that fun effect where if you brake hard, the car suddenly get sideways, much like you could see the Group B cars do, come sideways into the corner on braking.

That is pretty much what this beast feel like, a Group B machine, with the Mad Finn setup it's at least a glimmer of control there, making the beastly tire fryer a machine to be reckoned.
It won't be like driving your moms prius, but it will be a entertaining car, if not scary beast to toy with.
Though be careful, give it an inch, and it'll bite your head off, kill your family, stalk your lover , take incriminating pictures of him/her and posting them on the internet, and that's just the first corner.

Say Leo, judging by those LSD settings one could be fooled into thinking that BTR was initially a bit hairy to drive.:lol: I also noticed, it would appear Robin should have been named after an African frog, it would appear she changed to a he then back to a she while devastating tyres and opponents.;)

:lol: Thanks for pointing that out. Fixed.

Hemily, it indeed has exactly same kind of insanity as the Group B monsters do, and as you noticed, my setups intention was to bring some sanity into it. 4th gear can reach 155mph, yet it will still allow the rear end to step out in a corner which makes driving this car fast a more than hairy experience. But, as the rules say, request a tune and I'll see what I can do.

:lol: Thanks for pointing that out. Fixed.

Hemily, it indeed has exactly same kind of insanity as the Group B monsters do, and as you noticed, my setups intention was to bring some sanity into it. 4th gear can reach 155mph, yet it will still allow the rear end to step out in a corner which makes driving this car fast a more than hairy experience. But, as the rules say, request a tune and I'll see what I can do.

i quite enjoyed the setup, it's the first i've found for the BTR, most seem to tune the CTR, and it is quite interesting in long corners, going sideways at high speeds :P
i'm not good at drifting, but i have a feeling that car'll teach me :P
it's nearly as tailhappy as my Spirra.

and i get to make a request? awesome!

i have a couple cars i'd love a tune for, so it's up to you which you can get first, or have more interest in tuning.

1998 Mercedes-Benz SL 600 (R129)
2002 Jaguar S-Type R
2002 Chrysler Prowler
2000 Fiat Coupe Turbo Plus

so, any one of those, whichever you feel like, or find first.

I do have a Prowler in the garage.. if you havee any wishes, PM them to me.. power, tires etc, as long as they're reasonable..

Supermelon - Not bad for a first! Your version was even lacking a bit in the sharpness thanks to the lack of the close ratio gearbox but it doesn't make the handling findings any less valid. Admittedly the car is still close in spirit to the original but apparently the changes weren't for nothing. One piece of advice though, if you can, try it on the Sports Softs specified. I guarantee there to be less understeer.

Normal request rules in place. 👍

Thanks. I'll try it again with Sports Soft, but for most cars I tend to use SH as that is kinda like my "official" tire that I use to judge most cars on.

As for the request, is it possible for me to ask a favor to help me tune a Fiat 500 F '68? :lol: It may sound weird but I really like how the car drives. Mostly fully tuned with a few specific parts I don't want to add. Should I send you a pm with the full details? Thanks again 👍

Actually is it possible to help me tune a stock IS-F with only an oil change and the fully customized suspension and on Sports Hard tires? Thanks

Last edited:
Are they really that scary? Or perhaps all the valiant testers have crashed.. I guess I'd better prepare the carbonfibre coffins in case of casualties..

Just a quick note on the S2000 tune. It's got massive snap oversteer with the online physics. Bit hard to keep under control. Do you test these tunes online?

That particular tune was tested online as well. Unlike the Miata, which handled equally well online and offline, the S2K's handling changed dramatically when going online as you noticed. We believe it is because of simulated fuel load which isn't present when tuning in practice mode. Also, when Greycap tuned the S2K to fix the online handling, the offline handling was ruined.

Leonidae,

thanks a lot for the 'request'. Needs fine throttle control but is massive fun. Given how well these requests turn out, will need to write many more reviews :)

If you think that the 500bhp+ needed throttle control, just imagine how much fun the 700bhp+ was on Nurb.. :D

That particular tune was tested online as well. Unlike the Miata, which handled equally well online and offline, the S2K's handling changed dramatically when going online as you noticed. We believe it is because of simulated fuel load which isn't present when tuning in practice mode. Also, when Greycap tuned the S2K to fix the online handling, the offline handling was ruined.

That's one of the things that sucks about this game, why must they make the physics different for online? In particular with this car I was testing at Grand Valley for a race tomorrow, and the car is fast but given too much throttle, especially in tight turns, it steps out rather quickly. I abandoned the though of using that car and switched to something else that is a whole three seconds slower per lap, but I can at least hang on to it without worrying about spinning in every corner. In a 30 lap race, that could get old rather quickly.

Thanks for the clarification.

Tried out another one of your tunes yesterday, namely the Car of Tomorrow. I guess it was not tested on the M&M Camry but in short - it works there as well. I bought the car for the online challenge, where (unmodified) I placed it fifth - much to do with my driving to be fair (with the DS3, and none too fine a motoric control at the best of times, I did see quite a bit of grass). I later used the car in the A Spec NASCAR series and managed wins in the first four rounds without much trouble but came a disappointing 12th on both tries at Daytona.

I then let my lvl 22 B Spec driver do the honours yesterday in the NASCAR series (lvl22) to see how he would do with your tune. If I have the time today, I will try it out myself. First things first, he easiy won both the Indy and the Daytona circuits, the latter one with something like 8 seconds over the second placed car, which is a lot I suppose. While he seemed to brake much too heavily for corners on ovals previously (had serious trouble with him winning an Indy with the 908HDI previously, in spite of crushing the competition with the same car in A spec) he actually did a fair bit of overtaking in these corners with your setup. So in that respect, and for ovals, job well done. 👍

He also managed to crush the opposition on the High Speed Ring easily enough - it looked as if his car was simply in a higher league.

Now to the final two ones, GVS and Laguna Seca. The feedback for here might somewhat depend on the type of B Spec driver (I honestly do not know - mine is a fairly cool one generally) and it is obviously not definite, until I try it out myself. The massive problem here was rear tyre wear. The B Spec races here last for 8 laps on GVS and 10 on Laguna Seca and in both cases the tyres were shot well before. At GVS Bob was running in third in the fourth lap, when the rears gave way completely on the S bends after the third tunnel. When he finally decided it was safe to reverse out of the barriers, he was more than 15 secs behind 11th place, after pitting this was much, much more. However, once fresh tyres were on and no competitors around, he seemed to oversteer a lot less and was making up time in leaps and bounds. Finally he finished fourth, within a nanosecond of third place and could have done better, had I pitted him on round 3 already (but then I did not expect it to be necessary so soon). Again, I want to try it myself, before posting a conclusion on it.

In the end, the situation was similar at Laguna Seca, only slightly less severe - but with worse consequences as a result. Tyre wear was heavy and while he was a solid third and within grasp of the overall win, he started having real trouble on lap 9. He lost two places and then (before I could stop him) decided to pit. He could make up some time but with only one lap to go, it was impossible to compensate for a pitstop, so he came dead last :( Again, not saying there is anything wrong with the setup - the car really flew when the tyres were good but the wear was simply murderous the way Bob was driving. Overall the three other wins were enough for him to gold the series :)

I do not know if it is the Camry, or the driver but maybe a slightly 'stabler' setup would work better for road courses with B Spec drivers. It is not that the oversteer really cost time but the tyre wear and consequent pitting certainly did. I will try and do the same courses with the Car of Tomorrow on A Spec today but unfortunately these run over fewer laps. Feedback from that to follow 👍

That's one of the things that sucks about this game, why must they make the physics different for online? In particular with this car I was testing at Grand Valley for a race tomorrow, and the car is fast but given too much throttle, especially in tight turns, it steps out rather quickly. I abandoned the though of using that car and switched to something else that is a whole three seconds slower per lap, but I can at least hang on to it without worrying about spinning in every corner. In a 30 lap race, that could get old rather quickly.

Thanks for the clarification.

PM Grey. He might still have the tweaks for the online written down.

PM Grey. He might still have the tweaks for the online written down.

Too late I think. Race starts right when I get home and I don't want to start it unless I know for sure the car will stay pointing in one direction. No big deal, I have a plan. :)

ChinaRestaurant - Somewhat better indeed. Significantly better doesn't seem to be possible. :P For some reason the car really likes Nürburgring, at least judging by people's opinions, but that's probably down to the corners being fast and flowing. The rating isn't that much off as an overall car as it indeed has its downsides. And yes, I'll create something for you of the 300ZX. I've been wanting to buy one of those anyway.

R1600Turbo - Don't PM me as I can say all the necessarities here. Use the tweaks mentioned at the end of the setup post. That's all it takes, really.

kingmoshoeshoe2 - Thanks again! About GVS and Laguna Seca, it's a fault of B-Spec instead of the car, I believe. Nothing can be done by adjusting the car as Botcher simply wants to floor it out of every corner. But you can get around it... the trick is to tell him to slow down and settle for 5th or 6th place until there are two or three laps left. By then the opponents will have their tyres in shreds and he can overtake them relatively easily.

R1600Turbo - Don't PM me as I can say all the necessarities here. Use the tweaks mentioned at the end of the setup post. That's all it takes, really.

I'll try them, but I think it's more of an online physics problem than a tune problem. :nervous:

Thanks for the tip, Greycap! Will instruct the 'Botcher' accordingly next time around. I seem to have a similar problem with them in the lvl 22 Japan series - they pit on lap 27 or so if I am not around watching them and then do not speed up to get back to a decent placing. Have not played GT4 before, so B Spec arcana are all new to me ;)

While I have devoted most of my playing to something blue and very interesting today, I have tried out one round of GVS with the Car of Tomorrow (again applied to the M&M Camry). It was an easy win, with much lighter tyre wear than 'Brutus' managed. Will need to check for the time (do not have the PS here) but it was certainly an easy car to drive - quite a feat, given that you tuned it for Indy first and foremost. 👍

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back