Mad FinnTuners Co. - Finished 081213 - The Final Countdown, 4, 3, 2, 1, OUT!

• Thread starter Greycap
  • 1,705 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to have to review the Focus. Cause I want the Clio F1 back :D
Oh, can you rename the Focus as well? Instead of STR, it should be called... The ASBO [/Jeremy Clarkson]

Last edited:
I kindly ask you to post on my thread Initial Torque: What do you do? There are so many thoughts and ideas on what it does and i'm trying to get all these thoughts in one place, so we can compare them all to one another. I would like you to post as your a well respected tuner and probably have a well defined idea of what Initial Torque. You can find a link in my signature, it's the second one down.

FOCUS STR REVIEW
With a friend of mine looking to buy a Focus ST in real life, this quiet achiever hot hatch has come to my attention recently. With it’s 5 cylinder turbo engine supplied by their Swedish neighbours at Volvo, who better to tweak it than the Mad Finns. And the Focus RS best watch out, perhaps “weird brother of prime rib” (thanks Gob Bluth) can upstage its bigger brother at the hands of MFT!

(review using sixaxis controller, Region 4, update 1.05)
Parts only (default settings)
An impressive lack of exit understeer is the first impression. Even in 2nd and 3rd gears, it’s all very civilised as you get back on the throttle. Actually, “civilised” is a double-edged sword for this car. The rear absolutely refuses any slip angle so the driver is very limited in options to drive around the understeer.

The chassis also takes a while to settle in braking, which is most noticeable in the long sweeping RH corner in the tunnel. As to be expected for a car with all those extra horses crammed under the bonnet, the stock gearing is now far too short. Lap time: 2:08.0

MFT settings
The immediate difference is the gearing, which is now spot on. As for the “understeer from dawn till dusk”, it is much improved. My personal preference would be to get the tail wiggling a bit, however MFT have gone for a consistent, predictable setup and this has been achieved well. There are no transitions, entry to mid-corner to exit all link together in a smooth flow.

The car settles a lot quicker now in braking, although compared with other cars I still found the turn-in point in the tunnel to be a lot later than usual. And while the front stays accurate under power, acceleration is far better once the wheels are straight. I was often turning very hard mid-corner so that I could straighten the wheels quickly and accelerate out with minimal steering angle, which made for unusual driving lines. These are not criticisms, but notes that the driver needs to adapt his style to suit this car (perhaps this is why MFT have labelled it “advanced”).

My lap time was 2:05.9, the reduction compared to “Parts Only” actually surprised me, I guess this is testament to the tune being so consistent and predictable: no sweat.

MadFinnTuners/Chevrolet Camaro Z/28 RM '69 Review - Done with Logitech Driving Force GT on GT5 version 1.05

Today's muscle cars are great, but the originals cannot be beat. Even if outmatched in performance, there's something about a 70's muscle car that is just plain magical. Thus, my face lit up like a candle when I saw the Camaro Z/28 posted in this thread. I instantly ordered one, but requested that it had the best number painted on the side, and that it had the racing tires fitted on NASCAR-style wheels. Pure beauty.

When I turned the key to this beast, I couldn't help but smile at the wonderful sound that met my ears. The radio station I was listening to started playing AC/DC's "If You Want Blood (You've Got It)", and I rolled onto the track with chills down my spine...

I tore down the main straightaway, balls to the wall, and then found my braking point. I pushed the pedal down and the car amazingly obeyed in a comfortable manner. I turned and it still obeyed. I will admit that I was hungry for the return of the 560+ Horses, and thus got on the throttle a little hard and early, but the resulting problem was very easily solved. Great car for driving.

I will say that it isn't necessarily perfect though. My first complaint is honestly a little nitpicky, but it is a defect of sorts. I noticed that on flat corners the front tires are the first to lock up, which creates a bit of understeer. I have a feeling that changing the brakes to be 0/1 would solve the issue, but I didn't test it so I don't know what other effects it would have on the handling and braking distance.

Also, as a more personal complaint, I feel that the car is a little less dangerous than it should be. Half of my love for muscle cars is the skill that is required to be fast in them, but this car feels easy enough for a very large group of people to be able to control. But this is more personal of a complaint and honestly isn't the right one to have at a tuner when the tuner's goal is generally to make a car fast but controllable.

That aside, I still love the car and hope to see more Classic cars from you guys. 9/10

Daniel - Might make one eventually even if you don't. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't!

nomis3613 - Both of us being Volvo drivers to add to that. And that stability isn't as much of a desired trait as you may think... it just refused to oversteer. It's not like I didn't try. :ouch: Two seconds off the "parts only" isn't a lot (at least in my opinion) when there's clearly more to be had but the car doesn't want to cooperate so it has to be enough.

MadFinnTuners/Chevrolet Camaro Z/28 RM '69 Review - Done with Logitech Driving Force GT on GT5 version 1.05

Today's muscle cars are great, but the originals cannot be beat. Even if outmatched in performance, there's something about a 70's muscle car that is just plain magical. Thus, my face lit up like a candle when I saw the Camaro Z/28 posted in this thread. I instantly ordered one, but requested that it had the best number painted on the side, and that it had the racing tires fitted on NASCAR-style wheels. Pure beauty.

When I turned the key to this beast, I couldn't help but smile at the wonderful sound that met my ears. The radio station I was listening to started playing AC/DC's "If You Want Blood (You've Got It)", and I rolled onto the track with chills down my spine...

I tore down the main straightaway, balls to the wall, and then found my braking point. I pushed the pedal down and the car amazingly obeyed in a comfortable manner. I turned and it still obeyed. I will admit that I was hungry for the return of the 560+ Horses, and thus got on the throttle a little hard and early, but the resulting problem was very easily solved. Great car for driving.

I will say that it isn't necessarily perfect though. My first complaint is honestly a little nitpicky, but it is a defect of sorts. I noticed that on flat corners the front tires are the first to lock up, which creates a bit of understeer. I have a feeling that changing the brakes to be 0/1 would solve the issue, but I didn't test it so I don't know what other effects it would have on the handling and braking distance.

Also, as a more personal complaint, I feel that the car is a little less dangerous than it should be. Half of my love for muscle cars is the skill that is required to be fast in them, but this car feels easy enough for a very large group of people to be able to control. But this is more personal of a complaint and honestly isn't the right one to have at a tuner when the tuner's goal is generally to make a car fast but controllable.

That aside, I still love the car and hope to see more Classic cars from you guys. 9/10

Thanks for the review, old buddy! It indeed is safe car to push hard on track despite of all that power and light weight. I guess I could always blame the huge tyres it's riding on, but I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the traction. Perhaps it's just my personal style. And for the brakes.. Well, really tried but further adjustments of the brakes were fruitless.. They mostly caused snapping oversteer or severe understeer due the lack of ABS.

Ferrari 599GTC '06

838+ bhp, 745+ Nm, 1280 kg
Painted in Nuovo Blu Pozzi from Ferrari

Clickable for full size

Parts to fit:
Rear Wing Type B
Chassis Weight Reduction Stage 3
Window Weight Reduction
Carbon Bonnet (Body Colour)
Engine Tuning Stage 3
Sports ECU
Sports Intake Manifold
Racing Air Filter
Titanium Racing Exhaust
Sports Exhaust Manifold
Catalytic Converter: Sports
Fully Customizable Transmission
Twin Plate Clutch
Semi Racing Flywheel
Carbon Propeller Shaft
Fully Customizable LSD
Fully Customizable Suspension Kit
Sports Soft Tyres

Overall cost: Half a millionish Cr.

Aerodynamics
Downforce: 0 / 10

Transmission

Gear Ratios
1st: 3.523
2nd: 2.317
3rd: 1.668
4th: 1.261
5th: 1.002
6th: 0.836
Final Gear: 4.180

Top speed: 350 km/h

Fully Customizable LSD
Initial Torque: 10
Acceleration Sensitivity: 25
Braking Sensitivity: 5

Suspension
Ride Height Adjustment (mm): 0 / 0
Spring Rate (kgf/mm): 7.0 / 8.0
Dampers (Extension): 7 / 6
Dampers (Compression): 3 / 3
Anti-Roll Bars: 2 / 2
Camber Angle (-): 2.0 / 2.0
Toe Angle: -0.15 / 0.10

Brake Balance Controller
Brake Balance: 6 / 8

Driving Options
ASM: Off
TCS: 0
ABS: 1

"GTC", that could be interpreted as standing for "Gran Turismo Competizione". In this case, however, "Gran Turismo Compensation" is more like it. I'll explain.

As we all know, when a man buys a Ferrari he wants either a fast car or something to compensate his, erm, lacking areas with. This car is definitely better suited for the latter camp as the handling is hardly anything to write home about - actually it's more likely that somebody else will write to your next of kin as you've been extracted from the wreckage. Understeer? Yep, until the point in which you get familiar with it. By then it changes to extreme oversteer and off into the armco you go again. I don't know what causes it but then again, this is basically an Enzo (which is quite a pig to begin with) with the engine placed in a far less optimal position so perhaps that explains the situation. Not for those with lead feet, nor those with ham fists. Definitely not for those who expect every Ferrari to handle like a dream. The rest of you... careful out there. It's powerful and just waiting for you to lose your concentration for a split second.

Last edited:
A 599 tune! And by no less than MFT! Damn, your tunes in GT4 were perfect. I ditched my 599 long ago mainly because of the handling. But now I'm going to dial these settings and report back! Thanks! 👍

nomis3613 - Both of us being Volvo drivers to add to that. And that stability isn't as much of a desired trait as you may think... it just refused to oversteer. It's not like I didn't try. :ouch: Two seconds off the "parts only" isn't a lot (at least in my opinion) when there's clearly more to be had but the car doesn't want to cooperate so it has to be enough.
...And I was trying to be polite and avoid saying "understeers like a pig" :eek:
(joking)

The rear downforce seems high, I'm guessing there's some other reason for that?

can you tune my mclaren f1 into something mental and I mean absolutaly mental I don't want a quick and great cornering car I want a great snarling beast to try and kill b-spec bob :mad: oh and can you message me through psn I don't go on the computer much

Well I immediately tuned my Ferrari 599 to these settings...I was surprised when, after taking off like a dang rocket, it was easily gaining distance on the other 599's in a single make race @ daytona. There was no reason to need to brake on the turns either! The transmission has the top speed a bit slow for daytona, but for technical courses the braking and most importantly the insane acceleration will quickly separate you from everyone else with the max speed topping out (for my car) at around 209 which is enough for most of the courses. I would recommend this car to anyone interested in tuning their 599 and have already showed it off to 3 of my friends in the game. All they wanted to know was what other european would be taken from energetic to EXTREME!
accel 9 out of 10
brake 8 out of 10
top speed for transm. 6 or 7 out of 10

overall 9.5 out of 10

very outstanding overhaul of a (to me) once overlooked car in my garage...
keep up the great work!

note: to the hardcore ferrari fans, if you install the carbon hood the ferrari logo will no longer be present on either carbon hood...

Attila of the Huns

838 bhp, 932 Nm, 1313 kg
Painted in Gran Turismo Blau from Mercedes Benz

Clickable for full size

Parts to fit:
Oil Change
New Wheels, Rays VR.G2, finished in black from Rays
Rear Wing Type B
Chassis Weight Reduction Stage 3
Window Weight Reduction
Carbon Bonnet (Body Colour)
Engine Tuning Stage 3
Sports ECU
Sports Intake Manifold
Racing Air Filter
Titanium Racing Exhaust
Sports Exhaust Manifold
Catalytic Converter: Sports
Supercharger
Fully Customizable Transmission
Twin Plate Clutch
Semi Racing Flywheel
Carbon Propeller Shaft
Fully Customizable LSD
Fully Customizable Suspension Kit
Sports Soft Tyres

Cost: Flagship of AMG lineup + couple hundred grands..

Aerodynamics
Downforce: 0 / 35

Transmission

Gear Ratios
1st: 3.795
2nd: 2.498
3rd: 1.803
4th: 1.356
5th: 1.062
6th: 0.867
7th: 0.737
Final Gear: 3.670

Top speed: 400 km/h

Fully Customizable LSD
Initial Torque: 30
Acceleration Sensitivity: 15
Braking Sensitivity: 10

Suspension
Ride Height Adjustment (mm): 0 / 0
Spring Rate (kgf/mm): 12.5 / 10.0
Dampers (Extension): 10 / 6
Dampers (Compression): 2 / 3
Anti-Roll Bars: 5 / 3
Camber Angle (-): 2.3 / 2.0
Toe Angle: -0.15 / -0.30

Brake Balance Controller
Brake Balance: 2 / 6

Driving Options
ASM: Off
TCS: 0
ABS: 1

Attila of the Huns wasn't a nice man. He was a barbarian tyrant, a brute who somehow managed to gather and army of 700 000 and conquer most of the civilized world of his era. And this brand new Attila of the Huns, formerly known as Mercedes Benz SLS AMG, is no different. While he's fatter than most of the others in his league, do not underestimate him. He's agile, and easily out-accelerates and outhandles his opponents while dancing on the edge of his saber. While he has brute strength to overpower his opponents, he also has the cunning and agility of seasoned warrior. Be cautious and you might survive from this encounter.

Managed to try another two of your cars over the weekend, plus got some more points for the MX-5 and STR (for later).

First up the Ford GT LM spec. I used an unmodified one previously for the US championship (lvl23) and won easily, as well as for several rounds of the Indy circuit to make some money. It was never even close stock :) I subsequently modified the car but for various reasons did not get around to driving it much. I tried Indy once or twice and saw improvements (might already have commented on it) in time (will need to check for specifics at home) and then gave it to the B Spec driver for some work - he was clearly faster but I remember him botching the penultimate corner (a chicane) on the Nürburgring GP circuit every single time. Still with his lead otherwise it was not much of a problem. I subsequently let him use it for the Dreamcar championship (lvl) 24. He won all but R246 and Le Mans - for the latter he was following the XJR9 at practically touching distance throughout, only to spin twice in the last lap, and finish third (also within touching distance). Still, an overall win is a win ;)

I then subsequently tried the car on Laguna Seca and in Le Mans myself. I have driven both circuits with the car in stock configuration (primary difference lack of supercharger, and factory setup) and found it quite easy to pilot. Using your setup at Laguna Seca was a bit of a mixed bag for me. That might have as much to do with me using the DS3 controller instead of a wheel, AT and probably most importantly, my driving skills. ;)

The good things first - winning was easy - no matter how many mistakes I made, I could always catch up at warp speed and regain positions, or simply stay ahead. With a bit of practice, I got the odd good lap in and then the times were very, very good.

Now to the less good ones - maybe it is me (it probably is me) but I found the car much twitchier than stock. It took intense concentration to drive it around LS and getting a wheel on dirt usually did not end well ;) I either touched something, spun, or at least had to slow down quite a bit to get it back on track with no damage. The Corkscrew corner was particularly hairy - since learning to drive on the track this was the first car to make me feel uncomfortable there - so I slowed considerably and applied throttle much later than usually, to avoid the back end stepping out.

In short, a very fast car but one requiring a lot of concentration, so not something I'd recommend for an intermediate level driver for endurance races - unless it's the Indy 500 ;)

I tried out an alternative immediately thereafter (well, after the Le Mans race but...). I kept your settings as is but removed the supercharger. And the car became instantly friendlier - at the same time it was not much slower in my hands - perhaps 0.8 second off comparing the best laps at LS but better on average, since I had fewer offs. The lower power was not much of an issue on that circuit but it did make the car much more controllable. I could take the second corner, the Corkscrew and the next to last one all at a much better speed, simply by feeling more comfortable with the car. The acceleration was lower but the car certainly dropped back to the intermediate difficulty category in my opinion. Without the supercharger all the good qualities shone all the more - the super steady braking (something you seem to manage well pretty uniformly with all your cars), no twitchiness on corner entry and the possibility to recover from the odd lapse in concentration (read grass or dirt). While the first two were definitely present in the car as you intended it (with supercharger), too, acceleration out of corners demanded much more skill, getting a wheel off would usually end pretty badly, and it seemed like there was an evil dwarf with a battleaxe hiding on the exit of Corkscrew, waiting to maul the unsuspecting ;)

I subsequently tried the same car, again in supercharged and noncharged varieties at Le Mans. Here my conclusions were similar to LS but a bit less severe / pronounced. At Le Mans the corner exit is not that much of an issue, given that most of the circuit is high speed. Again, the areas that impressed were the immense stability under braking, especially for the Mulsanne corner. I easily managed to outbrake all opponents there, as well as at the chicanes. The Porsche curves were a bit of a tense affair - you could take them at a very good speed but the car felt very edgy. I did not park it in the barriers once but constantly had the impression that it was getting tired of its pilot by that point in the lap ;) Overall it was pretty easy keeping all others behind and while the ride on the Mulsanne straight was pretty bumpy, the car tracked straight and I do not suppose that a softer setup is necessary, at least not for this circuit.

I subsequnetly tried the car uncharged (well, without the additional supercharger). The experience was a bit different. The section before the Mulsanne straight was a bit more assured, the straight was more work (had to weave a bit to keep the XJR9 behind), again weave a bit between the Mulsanne corner and Indianapolis, then get some good distance to the Jag from Arnage to the start - finish straight. Looking at the times, the best laps were identical, in spite of some 100hp difference. I guess it was the higher confidence especially in the last section that had me accelerate out of corners a bit more aggressively that seemingly compensated for the lower acceleration and top speeds on the Mulsanne straight. The difference was also that even with slipstream, the XJR9 would pull away on the straights if I was behind, while the charged one could easily keep up.

In conclusion I find that your setup works for the car both supercharged as well as uncharged. It is a very easy car to win races in and braking, straight line stability as well as turn in are all excellent in both cases. For some circuits I certainly feel the car, as you intended it, is much more in the advanced than intermediate ranking - especially compared to your Z06 Corvette, I tried next (there I would reverse the grading).

I then tried your tune for the RM Z06 Corvette. If you equip the base RM Corvette, so with ~550bhp with race tyres, you pretty much get the Fisher Price 'My first racing car' experience - I am not talking about the interior plastics, although they are pretty bad - but about how easy the car is to drive. I guess it is the easiest race car to pilot and an excellent learning tool.

I then bought all the upgrades, applied your settings and took it to GVS and LS. I will try Le Mans as soon as I can. While I found it a challenge to get the rears to lose traction anywhere on the stock layout, the added ~150 hp certainly give you that option. Overall, though, the car is still a very easy steer, deceptively fast and certainly an excellent tool for endurance races. It has all the qualities of your other cars I have tried, so rock solid stability under braking, especially impressive in high speed applications, steady corner entry and it is easy to accelerate out of corners without having the back step out too much. If you get a wheel on to the grass it will not kill you and I found it easy to catch the car in any situation that arose. The only point at the track where I needed to apply a bit of care not to swing the back out was the entry to the first tunnel and it is easy enough to control, once you know what you are facing. My overall times at GVS were very, very good - with the same ~3 sec difference to your posted time - something I get pretty uniformly for all your cars (explains my driving level more than your car setups). And I was still improving (more to try this week). I also managed as good times on the 5th lap as on the 2nd, so it does not really suffer from a performance loss when thread is scrubbed off tyres - at least not at that stage :)

I subsequently tried it on Laguna Seca, as a comparison to the GT. In spite of lacking over 100hp to the supercharged configuration of the GT I managed a better time overall and found it much easier to drive there. Try as I might, it was impossible to really lose it, it was really friendly throughout. The Corkscrew could be taken much more confidently and even if you had two wheels off on the dirt there, it would not bite when all four got back on tarmac again. The only corners where I felt the Ford was faster were the first and second ones - with a bit of throttle the GT just rotated faster, allowing a slightly earlier application of the throttle on corner exit. The added power of the GT allowed better times on the straights, while the easy, predictable handling of the Z06 ensured time was gained everywhere else, for a better overall lap time.

All in all, the perfect beginner's race car, something friendly enough to let you learn and improve your skills and finally a great, predictable endurance racer - for the price, little can touch it. As said in the previous post, I find it certainly much easier to drive overall than the GT (with supercharger), in spite of your difficulty classifications of the two being exactly the opposite.

Just another note on the tyre wear of some of your tunes in endurance applications.

For the MX-5 I finally had the time for the 4 hour Tsukuba race, plus I gave it to the B spec drivers for the 300km of GVS. At the Tsukuba track the best I managed on sports soft tyres was 30 laps. I am sure I could go on longer but the times dropped by ca. 2.5 secs per lap by that point, so there was little to be gained by waiting. The first 15 laps or so could be done with pretty consistent times, then then next 5-10 (depending if you had the rears spinning much) at ca. 1 second per lap slower, then from lap 20-25 onwards the times would creep up pretty consistently. So basically 20-25 laps of tsukuba is what I averaged between stops.

As it is a 4 hour race, I also tried how it works on race hard tyres. Interestingly, I managed a best stint of 42 laps on a set, and they were a tad more consistent. I could get more than 20 laps at comparable times and when they started losing thread grip did not fall off so quickly - lap 30 was still only about 1.2 or so seconds slower than a good time from the first 20 laps. So on race hards you can definitely average 30 or more laps per set.

The 300km of GVS was done with B Spec drivers and there driver fatigue was usually a problem before the tyres ran out. Depending on the level of the driver, the sports soft tyres would probably last between 16 and 20 laps, on average. Again, I pitted them before they did so naturally, as they were losing quite a lot of time when thread decreased - while the best time came in at 2.13.xxx even telling the driver to get it going would not net a time better than 2.18.xxx by lap 15 or so. And while my lvl 25 B spec driver easily led the race for the first 10 laps, the NSX Type Rs started catching up and were already reasonably close by lap 20. I had to leave subsequently and the lvl 15 and two lvl 0 drivers then managed to have the car end the race in 5th :(

The Focus was similar in terms of tyre wear (well, it really was only the fronts that had any wear at all) but worked differently with the drivers. The overall best time managed was a 2.16.9xx, so significantly slower than the Mazda in the hands of my B spec crew and it never managed a place better than 4th - the 3 NSXs in the race were in a completely different league. Eventually it got passed by an RX-7 late in the race, so it finished 5th as well. Again, the fronts will be pretty bad by lap 20, and while I cannot say how much that would do to the times of a human driver, the AI ones suffered from lap 12 on.

Last edited:
As promised, just a quick report on the Z06 RM on the Le Mans circuit as well. It behaves just as expected, a bit easier to drive than the supercharged Ford GT LM although the difference in difficulty is less here than at Laguna Seca. The difference in time, though is slightly larger - not a surprise with this being a longer circuit. In the end I managed a 3.35.xxx time with the Z06, while my best time with the GT was 3.39.xxx. I am sure a bit more is in for both cars.

The Porsche Esses are a doddle with your setup and this and the Ford chicane are the two sectors where I gained most time. In terms of overall acceleration my subjective feeling went somewhere between a Stage 3 non-charged and a supercharged GT - the top speed on the first section of the Mulsanne straight was certainly a bit higher (topping 350kmh) than the non-charged GT.

The same rotation issues were observable as at Laguna Seca - it took a fraction of a second longer to get it set up for exits out of the chicanes at Mulsanne than the GTs. On top of that I felt the braking distances were a bit longer (using the driving line) - the most pronounced difference being the first braking zone before Indianapolis and a braking zone at the entry into Dunlop corner - which was simply a light throttle lift in the GT40. I guess the 3+ seconds better lap when compared to the GT must have come about as a result of higher confidence and the extreme ease with which the car could be driven.

While both your GT and the Z06 tunes are undoubtedly on my list of favourites in this power to weight category I can probably see myself putting more miles on the Z - especially since I dare not yet go for endurance races with the GT at my current level of skill - the GT certainly is a good way to learn to tame a more difficult beast ;)

can you tune my mclaren f1 into something mental and I mean absolutaly mental I don't want a quick and great cornering car I want a great snarling beast to try and kill b-spec bob :mad: oh and can you message me through psn I don't go on the computer much

Please, check the first page and follow the instructions.

~one of the multiple novels on this page~

Someone has been busy with our products! About the differences of the Z06 RM and GT40 LM Spec II's driving traits.. I believe it's due the drivetrain. MR cars such as the GT are prone to be twitchy and well rotating, where as Z06 with its more traditional FR layout is more confidence-inspiring and calm. It could also be because of the controller you use.

As for the MX-5.. It's light, eager to wolf down corners and is a very well balanced little car, tuned up for fun ( sideways) and business (traction). As such, its top of its class.

ImprezaAddict - The handling is still a perfectly valid reason to ditch the car, even after the tuning. Sure it's better but better doesn't mean good every time...

nomis3613 - Perhaps it was better that I said it myself! :lol: Highish rear downforce because the combination of lousy front grip and good rear grip beats lousy grip at both ends after all.

ironmanthing - Crazy man! :crazy: Admittedly it's better than stock (so it should with those power and weight advantages) but still... 9.5/10?

kingmoshoeshoe2 - If you want a car that has more power than the Z06 but doesn't want to kill you quite like the GT, there's always the yellowjacket ZR1. It's more of a handful than the safer Z06 though.

Greycap referring to my review - Crazy man! :crazy: Admittedly it's better than stock (so it should with those power and weight advantages) but still... 9.5/10?

I always feel that 10/10 is just overused...like two thumbs up. but seriously it's a very good tune and I just enlightened two tuning disbelievers onto MFT and they are totally stoked and are tuning all their cars...i was going to send the toyota trueno to you but now i think im going to send the tuning Everest, as it has once been called...the '87 yellow bird...but i still can't make up my mind. i think I'll ask my friends to recommend a car for me as i have yet to decide...my friend tuned a mini marcos and a superbee and both cars seem to be extremely susceptible to prolific performance increases. i'm glad i found your tunes and have been spreading the word over the online races...

until next time...
ironmanthing

ps. kingmoshoe...dang that's one review that will be hard to top, way to raise the bar!

It must be my own chase for perfection then, personally I wouldn't rate the Ferrari above 8/10 as it simply won't do what I want it to. Just not enough grip and there's no tuning in the world to change that... and that could actually be the problem. I can't see the tune quality compared to stock as the final result still doesn't please me.

The car choice is purely yours. I think I can pretty safely say that at least one of those you mentioned will be done sooner or later anyway.

ps. kingmoshoe...dang that's one review that will be hard to top, way to raise the bar!

ironmanthing, once you get your first tuning request back you will know it is worth every ounce of effort to make the reviews :)

And thanks for the encouragement - not sure Greycap and Leonidae will be equally enthusiastic about my 'war and peace' like treatises on their tunes, though ;)

I have to admit that my eyes glazed over a bit when I read those, but it was due the somewhat late hour of the day. :lol:

I have to admit that my eyes glazed over a bit when I read those, but it was due the somewhat late hour of the day. :lol:

I already promised to Greycap to make them shorter and more up to the point ;) And now another one - only joking :lol:

On another note I also had my group of merry B Specs do Suzuka in your MX-5 yesterday. I was amazed to see that they just refused to pit - I finally ordered the first one in during lap 54 to change tyres. He'd still keep going but in several sections the spinning rears made it look like the Mazda was steam rather than petrol powered - the masses of smoke coming off it were incredible (looks like Bob thought it was a drift challenge, not a race). :) However the tyres worked very well for the first 30 laps or so, with the fastest time being on lap 21.

I already promised to Greycap to make them shorter and more up to the point ;) And now another one - only joking :lol:

On another note I also had my group of merry B Specs do Suzuka in your MX-5 yesterday. I was amazed to see that they just refused to pit - I finally ordered the first one in during lap 54 to change tyres. He'd still keep going but in several sections the spinning rears made it look like the Mazda was steam rather than petrol powered - the masses of smoke coming off it were incredible (looks like Bob thought it was a drift challenge, not a race). :) However the tyres worked very well for the first 30 laps or so, with the fastest time being on lap 21.

That sounds about right regarding the tyre life. It is an easy car to drive for the B-spec and the other nuts behind the wheel. :lol:

Mazda RX-7 GT-X(FC) '90

I would like to say upfront that even though my parts list match those of the shopping list provided, and enough use for the break in period + multiple oil changes, at no time during the coarse of my testing did my HP level match that of the one stated. I was only getting 254bhp tops, as apposed to the advertised 266. Note however that I do not take this into my review with negativity. My laps may have been slower because of this, but I feel I have spent enough time with & understand the car enough to share my thoughts…

A-Spec (racing)

For a while I ran this car stock: no mods at all. I had no deal-breaking issues with it, and couldn’t wait to see what the boys at MFT had done to it. My only modification to the described tune was the addition of some aero body parts – a personal preference. My first impressions with the car were actually quite lax. But then again, I’m under the impression that this is a good thing. As a beginner rated tune, I don’t think it’s supposed to tear your pants off and shove a firecracker up yo…. you get the point. I felt in total control while driving the car. My motions were well received by the handling and I didn’t feel like I was in a battle over which direction we were going to go. Another plus by my standards is that even without the custom gearbox (I understand you reasoning) you don’t have to gown to first gear. Call me crazy, but I have some sort of personal commandment that “thou shall not downshift to first gear unless thou has cocked-up and run off track and hit a wall” I don’t know why, but unless it’s a standing start or dealing with pit lane, I really don’t like first gear.

My biggest test for this car was the GVS endurance race. I wanted to see if I could do it with an “underpowered” car such as I had. I ended up riding to a smooth first place with only one pit stop. My laptimes were generally around the 2:09/:10 mark, with the occasional hot lap of 2:07. My overall fast lap on the track was a 2:06, but admittedly that was on racing tires. I doubt I could best your time without the extra ~12bhp.

The second comment is that the car isn't at all throttle sensitive in a corner - so releasing the throttle a bit will not improve the turn in of the front (like you often get with FF cars that understeer). In essence if you brake in time, it is a wonderfully stable and nice machine, you brake a bit too late and there is understeer throughout (cannot be reduced by letting go of the throttle, or corrected by stepping on in a bit, either).

I’m glad you pointed this out. I encountered the same phenomenon but couldn’t quite tell if it was the car, or myself, at fault. There are times when I take a corner on a new track I am not familiar with yet and I miss a braking zone and the car just says “No”. It is perfectly controllable and forgiving through corners, provided you do it “right”. It doesn’t show mercy on mistakes, but more helps prevent them in the first place. That’s how I felt anyway.

An excellent beginner car indeed. For a late-braker like myself, I love being able to go from full throttle, to brakes through the floor, to back on the horse without the tail getting away from me or introducing myself to the nearest tree. I don’t see any reason why a normal, more sensible driver, would have problems with this.

A-Spec (drifting)
Ah, a subject that once upon a time I felt very at home with. Let me tell you, after not even playing GT4 for years and then trying to learn the new physics system, it helps to have something familiar with to help settle in. Back in the day this was a car I had success with in the sliding department.

This car needs no modification other than lesser tires to go from grip masterpiece to sideways bliss. Seeing as you can have only one tune at any given time for a car in GT5, this is a big plus. You don’t have to spend time fiddling with the settings every time you want to go from one style to the other (or buy a second car). Most of my success came in third gear. At Trial Mountain I took most of the corners in that gear with no issues at all. The weight transferred easily and could be performed by any number of famous methods. My own “home brew” technique combines: braking, lift off, feint, and power oversteer. Though not all of those are needed at once for this car, I’m so used to it that I made it work. Point blank, if you want to get into drifting you aren’t doing any harm to yourself by starting here. Sure you can get a better ‘purpose-built’ tune, but this is a 2-for-the-price-of-one deal that doesn’t rip you off or sell you short.

Slides are easy to initiate and maintain, end of story.

B-Spec
You say this is a good car for your crew to learn in, but as far as my bunch goes, they can’t tell proper track driving technique from group C rally cats… I can’t attest to the car’s B-Spec ability one way or another because sure, they didn’t win the FR race series in this car like I did, but then again this is the same set of drivers who can’t win a Yaris race with an overpowered car. Needless to say my data is.. inconclusive on this subject. Perhaps you will see a revisit when they are potty tra.. I mean racing ready.

Honestly, my J.May drives worse then the real one…

Verdict
This is everything a beginner could want in a single package. A nice looking car to show them the ropes by helping them find the right way around. A braking system that will let you know when you push the limits to far. A drift ready car needing only standard tires. And the satisfaction that the product was delivered by the best in the business. Ah, you hear that? That’s peace of mind calling, your relaxing drive is ready.

Ok, the 599 came back from some testing round the 'ring.

The car oversteers a lot, and doesn't seem to have enough grip in most situations. But, I would be lying if I said the car isn't fast. I blame the possibly different driving styles, but I had to adjust my lines and braking quite a bit for the car to be decent. I tried changing the suspension and LSD settings slightly so it could suit me, and it did help a bit. So for now, that's what I've got. Thanks for making my 599 remotely driveable again.

Back from thread fail...:dunce: :dunce:

/fail of epic proportions.

So yeah, that's your 599.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back