Mad FinnTuners Co. - Finished 081213 - The Final Countdown, 4, 3, 2, 1, OUT!

• Thread starter Greycap
  • 1,705 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Leonidae,

Just wanted to make sure you got the Puegot for the tune, and about where I was in the queue :).

I know you took some time off for your Bday, so no rush. Just wondering what was going on.

Cheers!

yes, I got it, and i will start sending cars back around this weekend when they're completed.

First of all, a belated happy birthday to you Leonidae :)

I also took the (for me) brave step of trying out the Viper ACR after some gentle prodding earlier this week ;) This came after trying another car from the same stable of a slightly lower power, which I liked quite a lot (report to follow eventually).

So back to the Viper - again with a DS3, autobox and all other things as per description given here. I tested it at GVS and at Le Mans and can certainly attest to two things straight away - first, it is surprisingly driveable for a non-race car with 1000bhp going to the rear wheels; and the acceleration is pretty warp like, assuming you get to put the power down - wheelspin stops somewhere in fifth gear and it really only gets completely settled above 250kmh. Make no mistake, though, it is still a car with over 1000bhp going to the rear wheels, so it is not necessarily a relaxing experience - certainly got nothing in common with the RX-7 or MX-5 from the same stable ;)

As I have come to expect from your cars the braking is very stable and practically no steering corrections are necessary, even from high speeds. When it comes to handling, the boat anchor of the engine up front does not do it any favours but I guess the setup works to minimise this as much as possible. It will turn in initially but to be honest, the steering wheel is more of a secondary mechanism for determining direction, the throttle being much more powerful in this respect, as well as more reliable. :) As said in the description the tyres are barely sufficient to contain the power and cornering is perhaps not the car's strong suit - you try losing the least time there, waiting till you get it into a reasonably straight line, where all hell breaks loose (and somehow you find yourself in a corner in a split second again).

I could not replicate your time on GVS (I never can) but managed to get the car to a high 1.53, not to be scoffed at, certainly :)

I am afraid this will have to do for now but will complement the review with Le Mans in the dry and the wet over the weekend 👍

Part 2 of the Viper ACR review.

The other track I tried the car on was Le Mans, at the lvl 24 Dream Car Championship. I tried its stablemate (2 less cylinders, W210 platform) in the race previously and in spite of appearing as out of place as it is possible for a large sedan based 2 door coupe to appear at Le Mans I managed to bring it home second (the XJR-9 LM was on a slightly different plane).

So I figured an added 300bhp in a lighter, more athletic package would make easy work of the competition at the track. In the end it turned out quite differently. The acceleration was, as previously mentioned Millenium Falcon rapid and steering was again by throttle more than the wheel. In the dry the rear end would dance around accelerating on the Mulsanne Straight all the way till 250kmh and the section after Arnage was very tense (for me, at least). I do not know if it would improve with more practice but my speeds in the first section (before the Mulsanne Straight) were significantly lower than with the W210 offshoot (major surprise for me).

Speaking of which, I think a lot of the twitchiness could be mitigated if I was to use manual transmission and did my accelerating in a gear higher than the autobox selects.

I somehow managed to do a whole lot of crashing and never finished the race in the dry. On a later attempt it was pouring buckets but not in a mood to restart I went for it anyway. Surprisingly I found it not a lot more nervous (maybe because I was more careful with the throttle) than in the dry and the speeds in the twistier sections were no lower (again a wheel and manual gearbox might change that). Finally I won by a fair margin over the more natural Le Mans competitors, which on sport softs (as opposed to rain race tyres the rest were using) is still really impressive :)

The only real issue on the track is that the final gear is too short, so you will run into the limiter on several sections of the track. And it tends to punsi rather than reward driving a bit more gingerly - I found maximum attack easier to control than taking it easy - funilly slowing down got you back into the range, where the torque was more into the axe swinging part of the curve, so a finer throttle control was necessary. I guess a bit of downforce would really help the car, allow the driver to use the power more of the time.

Once again, I am impressed by you managing to turn out a 1000bhp RWD beast that I can semi safely pilot around the track, even if I cannot make the best of it yet 👍

EDIT: Had a Bob drive the car in the meantime as well. Managed a straight win without interference in the lvl 23 US Championship at Laguna Seca - somehow he did not get the tail out a single time (lvl 40 Bob now). I subsequently had him on the lvl 24 Dream Car race on the Nordschleiffe and here things worked less well. Namely it seems to be suspended a tad too hard for the circuit - where the other cars would float over the bumps the Viper skipped over them and consequently launched itself into the air more often than really necessary - leading to the odd jump off the track. It could keep up with all the other cars for most of the track but then got progressively worse on the second and third laps, when the tyres slowly gave way. Again it would not oversteer in a significant manner but the hopping around hurt the pace. Hope this helps a bit :)

Last edited:
Dodge Challenger RT/8 '08

766+ bhp, 923+ Nm, 1412 kg, PP 609
Painted in Lime Light from Plymouth

Clickable for full size

Parts to fit:
Oil Change
New Wheels, Rays Volk Racing RE30, finished in Black from Dodge
Front Splitter & Skirts Type A
Rear Wing Type A
Chassis Weight Reduction Stage 3
Window Weight Reduction
Carbon Bonnet (Body Colour)
Engine Tuning Stage 3
Sports ECU
Sports Intake Manifold
Racing Air Filter
Titanium Racing Exhaust
Sports Exhaust Manifold
Catalytic Converter: Sports
Supercharger
Fully Customizable Transmission
Twin Plate Clutch
Semi Racing Flywheel
Carbon Propeller Shaft
Fully Customizable LSD
Fully Customizable Suspension Kit
Sports Soft Tyres

Overall cost: ~200.000Cr for the parts plus the actual car

Aerodynamics
Downforce: 0 / 15

Transmission

Note: First, reset the gearbox to the default settings, then set the Max speed, and only then set the gear ratios.

Gear Ratios
1st: 3.503
2nd: 2.346
3rd: 1.800
4th: 1.450
5th: 1.200
6th: 1.000
Final Gear: 3.150

Max speed: 370 km/h

Fully Customizable LSD
Initial Torque: 15
Acceleration Sensitivity: 25
Braking Sensitivity: 5

Suspension
Ride Height Adjustment (mm): 0 / 0
Spring Rate (kgf/mm): 10.0 / 7.0
Dampers (Extension): 6 / 7
Dampers (Compression): 2 / 2
Anti-Roll Bars: 4 / 4
Camber Angle (-): 2.0 / 2.0
Toe Angle: -0.15 / -0.25

Brake Balance Controller
Brake Balance: 4 / 6

Driving Options
ASM: Off
TCS: 0
ABS: 1

Trying to make a two-door sports car out of a sedan doesn't sound like the brightest idea, especially if the said sedan is based on a Mercedes Benz. Doesn't mean it can't be done though, and certainly doesn't mean I wouldn't try to tune the end result.

So off we go with another Mopar product, this time with the reborn Challenger. It has the looks of its ancestor, it has a Hemi V8, everything seems to be set for success. Unfortunately it also has the stubborn understeer no matter what... but that's nothing that can't be corrected with throttle. Because power is something that isn't in short supply, the modern day Hemi in its tuned state churning out such an amount of horses that it makes the old one shudder in shame. The suspension does its best - and occasionally fails but such is life - in putting all of them to the road while still maintaining controllability in corners. In the end it's a surprisingly capable vehicle considering its roots but as so often before with American cars, the excess weight holds it from being a true sports car and limits it to a power cruiser. A fast one nonetheless, though.

Just wondering if you've done with the Delta yet? how is it? You may have sent it me but I'm at my mates while he's on holiday and he hasn't got the Internet so I can't connect my PS3!!

Some more from me on the kermit green SRT-8. I have tried the car out just prior to the Viper and it was the experience iwth this car that had me attempt a ride in the Viper in the first place.

In order to test it out in an as unlikely environment as possible, I took it to Laguna Seca in the lvl 23 US Championship first. I cannot claim to have bagged a victory but a third place in such a car, against a Panoz, various GT Race Spec's and Chapparrals was quite a treat.

From unlikely to truly mental, Le Mans (lvl 24 Dream car Championship) was next. I figured the XJR-9 LM would obviously zoom away and if I could stay better than last it would be an achievement. In the end it worked much better than that.

Acceleration is strong - to the extent that most cars eventually surrendered. I never got the XJR-9 but overtaking a Zonda R in a glorified 1995 gen E Class MB is truly comical. ;) For Le Mans the last gear is a bit too short, topping out at around 315 kmh, so most of the straights are spent bumping off the limiter.

Braking is also very stable but this is an area where the car cannot quite match the LM machinery, so I often lost a place going into the Mulsanne Corner, to be regained on the straight after.

As with the Viper but to a lesser extent, turn in is reluctant - the only difference being that here it is reluctant all the time (the Viper turns in nicely initially). You need to steer the car with the throttle but this is also easier doe+ne here, at least if one is using a DS3. Just make sure to be a bit further to the inside of the corner than appears natural, since the rear will need to be pried loose (and need the space on the track) in order to get the car to turn. :)

All in all I found the car much easier to drive than the Viper and managed better corner speeds with it, too. That it cannot quite match the Viper's stupendous acceleration is a given but otherwise still a pretty interesting and unlikely tool - something that might prodiuce a chuckle from the other competitors but is unlikely to leave them amused for too long - especially not with its receding tailpipes in their sights 👍

At GVS I managed 1.57 laps with it, too, which is something I do with a well sorted ca. 450bhp NSX, so again not at all shabby for a straight line 'cowboy' :)

I there i'm here asking for permissions to add Mad FinnTuners tunes to the database that i'm doing.
Can i?

curious do you all plan on ever tuning the mustang cobra R or the premium 07 mustang GT? or did i miss that?

Xlsound: As fa as I'm concerned, go ahead as long as credit is given where it's due.. but wait until greycap gives his yay or nay.

Boomee: No mustangs yet. I've tried the Mustang cobra R, as well as Shelby GT350 and they are quite unpleasant to drive. I might give the latest Mustang a run soonish.

Xlsound: As fa as I'm concerned, go ahead as long as credit is given where it's due.. but wait until greycap gives his yay or nay.

Ok thanks for the answer i'll wait for greycap permission also.
Of course credits and links to this thread will be added.
keep the good work.

Boomee: No mustangs yet. I've tried the Mustang cobra R, as well as Shelby GT350 and they are quite unpleasant to drive. I might give the latest Mustang a run soonish.

its cool Ill be paitiant with the latest mustang tune subscribed gonna try out some of your others and see what i comeup with

xlsound - Sure, go ahead.

kingmoshoeshoe2 - I'll write a reply as soon as I recove from another Monday at work...

Chevrolet Camaro CSV'10

690 bhp, 843 Nm, 1318 kg, PP 607
Painted in Summit White from Chevrolet

Clickable for full size

Parts to fit:
Oil Change
New Wheels, BBS, finished in White from Chevrolet
Front Splitter & Skirts Type A
Rear Diffuser Type C
Front Extensions Type A
Rear Wing Type A
Chassis Weight Reduction Stag 3
Window Weight Reduction
Carbon Bonnet (Body Colour)
Engine Tuning Stage 3
Sports ECU
Sports Intake Manifold
Racing Air Filter
Titanium Racing Exhaust
Sports Exhaust Manifold
Catalytic Converter: Sports
Supercharger
Fully Customizable Transmission
Twin Plate Clutch
Semi Racing Flywheel
Carbon Propeller Shaft
Fully Customizable LSD
Fully Customizable Suspension Kit
Sports Soft Tyres

Overall cost: ~200k + the car.

Aerodynamics
Downforce: 0 / 20

Transmission

Note: First, reset the gearbox to the default settings, then set the Max speed, and only then set the gear ratios.

Gear Ratios
1st: 3.012
2nd: 1.984
3rd: 1.491
4th: 1.193
5th: 0.981
6th: 0.830
Final Gear: 3.450

Max speed: 400 km/h

Fully Customizable LSD
Initial Torque: 45
Acceleration Sensitivity: 55
Braking Sensitivity: 10

Suspension
Ride Height Adjustment (mm): 0 / 0
Spring Rate (kgf/mm): 9.0 / 7.5
Dampers (Extension): 10 / 10
Dampers (Compression): 2 / 2
Anti-Roll Bars: 7 / 5
Camber Angle (-): 2.3 / 2.5
Toe Angle: -0.20 / -0.40

Brake Balance Controller
Brake Balance: 2 / 10

Driving Options
ASM: Off
TCS: 0
ABS: 1

For a while, Chevrolet had watched from a distance how Ford offered huge amount of performance kits for the Mustang, each one with ridiculous amounts of power. Now, Chevrolet has decided to strike back at the blue oval, and has revealed it's own tuning arm, CSV, also known as Chevrolet Special Vehicles. And since Camaro was their response to Mustang, it was laso the first to receive CSV treatment. Every single part of the car was thoroughly modified for fast driving and heavy abuse, starting from the LS-series engine that got a supercharger and other tweaks, sending the power and torque soaring right to the levels of Super Snake. And while the manufacturers duke it out, we enthusiasts rejoice and enjoy of the show. But there's a difference: Unlike the Super Snake and its other slithering siblings, Camaro doesn't shine on drag strip and straight line only. It also carves the corners in a manner that is unheard of for a muscle car.

Aww man, why didn't you tell me you were going to/started work/ing on one of those a week or two ago when I was working on one?!?

Question for you mate.

Just going through the testing of your red robin RUF BTR. I noticed that you have the brakes set to zero front and rear. Just checking to ensure this was on purpose and what the logic might be behind it?

Thanks!

It was an early tune and I wasn't quite certain with the brakes yet.. Not to mention that it is twitchy as is, and snappy brakes wouldn't help that heavy arse to settle down.

It was an early tune and I wasn't quite certain with the brakes yet.. Not to mention that it is twitchy as is, and snappy brakes wouldn't help that heavy arse to settle down.

Oh I wasn't criticizing, I was just curious since you don't often see that. Thanks for the reply though... you've got nice tunes.

kingmoshoeshoe2 - Replying to the Dodges, in very random order.

First off with the Viper... there isn't much that can be done with the suspension being too hard, the springs can't be made softer. :P The compression damping isn't that hard either so I tend to believe the jumpiness comes from the lack of downforce, the opposition is made of race cars after all and they'll just remain glued to the track. I also found it quite surprising that the Challenger beat it through a technical section, I was matching the cornering pace of the winged GT-SHO with the Viper while the Challenger refused to turn everywhere. Possible controller differences? But agreed, a completely relaxed ride it certainly is not.

The Challenger then, you obviously got more out of it than of the Viper. Perhaps because it isn't half as deadly and actually allows thinking before acting. But I still can't understand how it can corner better... I just can't. In my hands it definitely didn't. Horses for courses though and if you like the Challenger better, more power to you! I'll stick with the Viper myself as it gives a lot more excitement.

The top speeds being relatively low is a result of my tuning philosophy, getting to 300 km/h rapidly and the hitting the wall is useful far more often than taking the time to get to 350 km/h. The decrease in acceleration hurts more over the course of the entire lap than the slightly better top speed helps.

Thanks for your comments :) I will give the Viper another try (but not tonight - too tired for that) and see if it gets faster with familiarity 👍

As said, I doubt the top speed would be an issue anywhere else but at Le Mans, just a general observation but completely understand your reasons for tuning it in this way :)

Your Setups Are AWESOME!!!

Im Using the Ford Focus ST Setup and i love it!!

Keep the Good Work Guys ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back