RKM Motorsport - Tuned Tuners - May '13

I don't know how the 147 RS will drive with a turbo, so I can't really be a judge on how the GTA feels like. The R32 was the one you did, and I don't think I can do my last review for today, mum came back, so my C4 review will need to wait till tomorrow... and take a guess what I'll compare it against :D

Oh okay. In that case, yes! In your face RJ! Take your R32 wannabe back to Tesco! :P

Looking forward to the C4 review. Let me guess, is it Loeb's C4 WRC with no spoiler? He just wont give up trying to reclaim his spoiler! :lol:

Looking forward to the C4 review. Let me guess, is it Loeb's C4 WRC with no spoiler? He just wont give up trying to reclaim his spoiler! :lol:

Wouldn't he have given up now that he's moved onto the DS3 for rallying? :lol:

When I get back from my holiday in Croatia :cool: on Monday, I'll be doing one more review before I set off and start my own tuning garage. Chances are...it WON'T be successful. :guilty: Knowing my previous attempts at other stuff really. Apart from the Vettel Challenge. :indiff:

RKM Motorsport’s C4 VTS

C4VTS.jpg

Me and this car have a little history. As hinted at yesterday, I've been talking to Master Junkie of the Rotary about it. Mine too was clad in WR Mica Blue, Enkei ES-Tarmacs and a stolen wing from a WRC C4. However, I’d been running it with the C30RS build. It wasn’t brilliant, obviously, but the car showed some heart. I asked Kyle if he or Roj would look at it, but he wasn’t having any of it. “It’s called the ****roën for a reason, and it’s ugly as sin..!!” Fair enough, not much I can say about that. However, I persisted, and Kyle relented on condition I could show him that it was competitive.

Obviously I managed to do just that. Now, before we go any further, it needs stating that I don’t run my Hot Hatches up to the same power levels that the RKM guys do. It’s just the way me and my race buds have restricted our cars. So the C4 VTS is only equipped with a Low RPM Turbo, not the mid range one.

My first 5 lap run around Trial Mountain produced a 1:34.550. Disappointed, I took the car back into the garage, rechecked my settings, and found I had additional rear aero. I trimmed this off and promptly went back to the track. 1:34.237, much better, but still I was disappointed. I’d posted fractionally quicker times with the C30.

Speaking of which, as a comparison, I took my C30 out to throw it around the track. My first set of 5 laps produced a 1:35.147 WHAT THE 🤬..!! I trolled back into the garage, had a look through my settings. The gearbox looked a bit off, so I reset it and applied the RKM setting. After this I took the C30 out again, 1:34.731.

:grumpy: ... :ouch: ...... :mad:

I don’t know quite what has occurred here. I know I can push the C30 around Trial Mountain 0.5 quicker than that (Kyle has seen the times I’ve posted in Practise Mode). This all looks favourably on the C4 at the moment, and I find myself in the curious position of both thoroughly enjoying the C4 having seemingly beaten the C30, but choked that the C30 seems to have lost some of its shine. It may be that I’ve spent too much time recently driving RWD cars around this track, and I didn’t give myself enough time to acclimatise to FWD again.

In short though, the C4 is lovely to drive, the rear moves freely and you can throw the car into corners with gay abandon. It’ll stick all the way. The only issue I did find was it liked to light up the front tyres a bit too often. Even after I’d adjusted the rear downforce to its correct setting, the outside front still glowed under heavy acceleration and braking. Otherwise the car is solid, it’s good for 137mph down the back straight, hugs its way through corners and generally makes a lot of noise whilst it goes about it. Just my kinda car.

It’s a shame we didn’t get the VTR car to play with. Overall I don’t think the C4 has the legs to keep up with the likes of the C30, but if you handicap the competition, then I think the C4 will prove to be the better car. I’m going to spend a bit more time with this car, racing online against my mates. I’ll have another crack later at setting some laptimes. I can’t help thinking both results were down on their actual capability. Maybe I was tired, lacking in focus or being a bit rubbish, I’m not sure… :indiff:

{Cy}

Made the review for the Crimson R (flip just one page back), and the link to the Gran Turismo S tune would lead to an "Invalid Post". Just a heads-up.

Wouldn't he have given up now that he's moved onto the DS3 for rallying? :lol:

When I get back from my holiday in Croatia :cool: on Monday, I'll be doing one more review before I set off and start my own tuning garage. Chances are...it WON'T be successful. :guilty: Knowing my previous attempts at other stuff really. Apart from the Vettel Challenge. :indiff:
No. Loeb really feels a connection with his C4, so he really wants his spoiler back. :P

You'll do fine with your own garage. Just stick to your own thing and make tunes that make you happy. Like me and my army of FWD cars. :lol: As long as you have a wide range of tunes, people will come. 👍
Lol damn you got it, yes it's the C4 WRC, but with the spoiler since it can't be taken off.
He's found a spare, but he still wants the original! :lol: That sounds like an exciting shootout. :D
Thanks for the review! You can imagine the wheelspin when I initially had this car at 450 or so bhp. :crazy: Hence the downgrade to a mid-range turbo. Interesting that it beats a downgraded C30. But yeah, totally agreed that it's very easy to drive despite the power. Also I'd like to add that lacking Focus is a good thing. Focus' are slow. :P

Made the review for the Crimson R (flip just one page back), and the link to the Gran Turismo S tune would lead to an "Invalid Post". Just a heads-up.
Oops, missed it. I'll tell RJ to fix it. :P
Speaking of reviews, prepare for a giant wall of text with a bit of a flashback.

*clears throat* Gentlemen, here's my Review for your new Crimson R:
Thanks for the review! Yeah the Crimson R isnt that much faster than an untweaked Integra but it does add some nicer handling characteristics that make it more enjoyable to drive. Honestly I'm impressed that it could handle on comfort softs to begin with. In GT4 this would've been a complete disaster but GT5 has sorted physics so this sort of tune can be made and enjoyed properly. :D In any case, glad to see it can handle Eiger which is clearly the most demanding track for a FWD thanks to those tight hairpins. Again, thanks for the review! :D

Last edited:
Whoa, the C4 can go all the way up to 450hp?!! I'm so trying that out in tomorrow's review. But can the setup actually cope with all that power?

Whoa, the C4 can go all the way up to 450hp?!!

I know. I can just see the average C4 with that much HP just passing by every Group B rally car in the game...Loeb will be proud when he sees that poor Delta S4 getting left in the dust by a coupe/hatch.

And also, I WILL be doing a wide variety of tunes. And when I get to it, any tunes from my upcoming fanfic will be there too. My first tunes (including the C4, less powerful than yours) are all mostly done (just need to work on the tyres with one), but the second set (including a 147. Oh the irony) are still only partly done. But anyway...what am I doing giving away my plans in this thread?! :crazy:

Whoa, the C4 can go all the way up to 450hp?!! I'm so trying that out in tomorrow's review. But can the setup actually cope with all that power?
Yeah with a high-RPM turbo. But no, it just becomes a wheelspinning mess.
Could you give me the tune If I include NSX
You need to add more about how the car behaves and handles. There's a few examples linked on the first post as well as other reviews posted. 👍
I know. I can just see the average C4 with that much HP just passing by every Group B rally car in the game...Loeb will be proud when he sees that poor Delta S4 getting left in the dust by a coupe/hatch.

And also, I WILL be doing a wide variety of tunes. And when I get to it, any tunes from my upcoming fanfic will be there too. My first tunes (including the C4, less powerful than yours) are all mostly done (just need to work on the tyres with one), but the second set (including a 147. Oh the irony) are still only partly done. But anyway...what am I doing giving away my plans in this thread?! :crazy:
The only thing the C4 needs is 4WD and it'll own the dirt too. :lol:

Next you'll say you have a Maserari GranTurismo tune in your first batch. :lol: Dont worry, your secret is safe. :P

Thanks for the review! You can imagine the wheelspin when I initially had this car at 450 or so bhp. :crazy: Hence the downgrade to a mid-range turbo. Interesting that it beats a downgraded C30. But yeah, totally agreed that it's very easy to drive despite the power. Also I'd like to add that lacking Focus is a good thing. Focus' are slow. :P

My timings/pace for both cars seemed slower than I expected last night, I’ll try again later. The C30 has to make do with far less poke than the full blown RKM version. We run Hot Hatches around the 355bhp mark. FWD carry 250kg less than 4WD, so makes for tight racing. The difference between the C4 and the C30 is much like the difference between your Civic Type R Turbo and Kyle’s Mazda6. One is a rip snorting, dysfunctional creature, which spits torn up asphalt in the faces of small children as it blasts by. The other is much more civilised and goes about things in a far more dignified manner, delivering its goods in a calm, collected way. Polar opposites that reach similar results, I love it.

You've done remarkably well to drill out as much wheelspin as you have with the C4. I’m looking forward to taking it to the track on Race Night, I’ll let you know how it fairs. Thanks again for putting this car out for the wider community... 👍

{Cy}

PSN Name: ACR_Phoenix
Your Car:Lamborghini Murcielago LP640
Sending Your Own Car? Yes
Tuning Request: I want a allround grip tune i like a little bit of oversteering and if its is possible to let it dive into a corner. I am a outbreaker with overtaking so i like to brake hard and late.
Link To Review
I will put it up when its ready and i have driven it.

I am organizing a tournament and i want to give some cars away as prizes.
I would like you guys to tune 3 great racing cars.
And i hope you guys can sponsor the cars.

Details of the tournament will come as soon as i get the preparations ready.
If you are interested please at my gamertag at PSN.

Greetz ACR_Phoenix aka Tim

RKM Motorsport’s Cappuccino

Cappuccino.jpg

Cappuccino_Big.jpg

Based on: Suzuki Cappuccino (EA21R) ‘95
Obtained: Brand new model at Suzuki

Drivetrain: FR
Horsepower: 128 BHP (@ 52.8 miles)
Torque:---- 15 kgfm
Weight:---- 619 kg
PP:-------- 451

PARTS
GT Auto

Enkei ES-Tarmac Wheels
Type B Front Aero
Type B Rear Aero
Type A Wing

Tuning Shop
Chassis Weight Reduction Stage 3
Rigidity Improvement
Window Weight Reduction
Carbon Bonnet (Body Colour)
Engine Tuning Stage 3
Sports ECU
Sports Intake Manifold
Racing Air Filter
Titanium Racing Exhaust
Sports Exhaust Manifold
Catalytic Converter: Sports
High RPM Range Turbo Kit
Fully Customisable Transmission
Twin Plate Clutch
Semi Racing Flywheel
Carbon Propeller Shaft
Fully Customisable LSD
Fully Customisable Suspension Kit
Sports Soft Tyres

SETUP

Body/Chassis
Aerodynamics

Downforce: 0/20

Ballast
Amount:-- 0
Position: 0

Engine
Power Limiter

Power Level: 100.0%

Transmission
Transmission

(Set Max Speed, then each individual ratio.)
1st:-- 2.622
2nd:-- 1.810
3rd:-- 1.337
4th:-- 1.061
5th:-- 0.878
Final: 5.415
Max Speed: 143 MPH

Drivetrain
Differential

Initial: 0/10
Accel:-- 0/30
Braking: 0/15

Suspension
Suspension

Ride Height: -10/-10
Spring Rate: 6.0/6.5
Extension:-- 5/5
Compression: 4/4
Anti-Roll:-- 1/2
Camber:----- 2.0/2.0
Toe:-------- –0.10/0.00

Brakes
Brake Balance Controller

Brake Balance: 4/5

Intended Driving Options
Transmission: Manual (MT)
ABS: 1
Everything else: OFF

Tuner Comments:
The Coffee Car is perhaps the ultimate Kei car. So ultimate in fact, that there’s nothing else in it’s class. So whilst it’s a great car, it’s practically stuck as a one-make series racer.

So here’s a regular Cappuccino. It’s just as fast as the Coffee Car and just as dominating, but at least you can race other Kei cars and not be shunned afterwards.

Last edited:
I can't keep up! Too many cars! :drool:

Friday schedule: 110 laps in hatchbacks + review, followed by 30 laps in the Audi ABT and Ford Falcon, then another 30 laps in the NSX and Supra Super GT cars. I've gotta put off my 5-car Z shootout 'till I get the 370z tuned car. Trial Mountain may need to be re-paved soon...

Last edited:
I can't keep up! Too many cars! :drool:

Friday schedule: 110 laps in hatchbacks + review, followed by 30 laps in the Audi ABT and Ford Falcon, then another 30 laps in the NSX and Supra Super GT cars. I've gotta put off my 5-car Z shootout 'till I get the 370z tuned car. Trial Mountain may need to be re-paved soon...
Friday, Friday, gotta get them posted on Friday! :sly:
Bloody Hell.

Kyle's PS3 dies and you seem to be cranking out more tunes than ever!

This is just me making up for lost time when I had to put college before tuning, so at some point I'll stop with the daily cars. :lol:

What happened to all the cars that were sent to RJ for tuning? Does he still have them even though his PS3 is broken or are they gone?

REVIEW: NSX-R 3rd Anniversary

Having grown up driving only Volkswagens (my first car was a '91 Corrado followed by a '00 GTI) I normally snub my nose at anything Honda (and Acura here in the States). The NSX has always been an exception to that rule. It was something of an anomalous car among the ugly, boring econoboxes. Having seen all the positive reviews on this now legendary car I decided to give it a go and see how it performs under my hand.

Off the lot this car is neither boring nor exciting. It drives easily for the most part but you can get some excitement if you push it some. The back end is pretty tail-happy under braking, especially at higher speeds. But this is not anything new in the realm of MR cars. Also out back there seems to be quite a bit of lateral sensitivity. By example, running up over the rumble strips I was almost sure to see the back kick out coming back down off onto the tarmac. However, the swing is easily controlled and corrected. I would give credit for this to the longer wheelbase. It does not come up on you as fast as say a Lotus or other shorter wheelbase car. Lap time around GVS was 2'14.152".

Adding on the parts magnifies everything. The car is much faster but so is the rotation out back. With the added power and reduced weight it swings out so much faster and is more difficult to catch; it feels out of control. On the up side there is more stability under braking at all speeds. The entry to the first corner is much easier though getting through it is more difficult. Time around was 2'00.693".

Tweaking the settings produces...I don't know. It isn't a car any more. It feels like a go-kart, rocket sled, excitement machine! It is incredible fun. Fun fact: I am not much of a drifter. While it is fun to watch I lack the skill for the most part to be able to do it. Right off the bat I was pushing the NSX-R and hit the brakes late into the big right-hander. The tail came out, I mashed the throttle and held the angle with no countersteer through the entire thing. All of it. Start to finish. I was smiling and laughing so hard I forgot about the rest of the course. What incredible control and stability! The sliding has returned to more of a stock feel rotating slower but with more ability to control. But this is not the order of the day. I did say go-kart. I can push through corners with a hamfist and it will just stick. When I expect it to break loose it doesn't. It just plants and goes. I could run in the 2' range all day if I wanted. I decided to give it a real good push and knocked the lap time down to 1'59.194" on the first shot. A second and a half just on settings is pretty good I would say, especially given that the parts tuned form wasn't some uncontrollable beast.

Since it was mentioned, I brought out a jealous Juliet for some chase fun. She couldn't touch the NSX at all. Not close in any way, shape or form. As stable as I feel she is from what she was the stability of the NSX is on a whole other level. Juliet was a good 8-10 seconds slower on my best runs.

Overall I think if I had started out with an NSX from the get go I wouldn't have the distaste for MRs that I have. Given my experience so far I am starting to open up to them. The NSX I think will be my favorite car for a good while. I can't imagine what a car would be like that would be more fun this fast.:eek:

REVIEW: Mustang Mach R

In my younger days I was all about muscle cars. Every American teenager into cars was the same way. The throaty V8 rumble and tire melting power spoke of freedom and no-holds-barred fun. Someone forgot to tell the guys at Ford when they dreamed this one up.

I normally go at least 3-5 laps in a stock car to get a decent feel for it before changing anything. I didn't make it all the way through two in this thing. It is dull, lifeless and boring. Max speed stock is 110-111 MPH, which I reached shortly after the final turn on GVS into the long straight. I got a nice half mile of bouncing off the rev limiter and a quick nap. The car feels pretty stable but at the speed it can muster that isn't saying much. It understeers on power a good bit making it even less cool than it should be. If you set it up well enough and dump the throttle through the firewall you can get the tail to kick like a muscle car should, but only just. I got through the last turn on the second lap and called it quits with an initial lap of 2'23.575".

Parts tuning definitely makes it more lively, but maybe too much. It still will understeer in a few places but there is a very fine line between that and ending up facing the direction you just came from. At this point it is faster when it has grip but extremely unforgiving of errors or pushing harder than it likes. With all the sliding around and babying the throttle I managed a lap of only 2'17.049". With the difference in power and potential this time, I feel, should have been much faster but the lack of consistent control did not help.

With the tune on it feels better. It is still a monster FR but it is more composed. There is still some power oversteer present but the control has increased making it easier to drive. Getting back on the gas is less of an anxious moment and sliding through a corner will not leave you staring into the cloud of smoke that had been behind you. The braking character in particular is very nice, remaining very stable at speed and also snapping into a turn. The increased control gave the drop in time was expecting, turning in a 2'02.157". It will still bite back hard if you treat it badly; it is a safer bet to punch it and correct than to try to finesse it through...as it should be for American Iron.

For my taste, there is a bit much power. I do like big numbers but I like control more than anything else. The tune has increased both but the power is the key player here and will take getting used to for me. I will say though, this is the best sounding car I've heard in a while. Every American, and even non-Americans, owes it to themselves to pop out to chase cam for at least a five minute run to listen to the sweet music coming from the exhaust. :dopey:👍

Last edited:
Ok, this is my 4th review lined up of the 6, and this is the one I've been looking forward to doing the most.
Citroen C4 VTS review:
Before: Well, this is like sort of like a typical french hatchback, only more mental. It has nearly 400hp going through the front wheels, and is comparable to my mum's description of a man. Which means it smokes a lot, is hopeless at multitasking and really more trouble than it's worth. That description really does fit this car. The front tyres are trashed after 2 or 3 laps, it can't take a corner with any power on or you'll crash and do you know how much it cost me to buy and modify this? Over 200,000!!! That's 200,000 that I could have saved for my Maserati review!! Instead, I blew it on this. A tyre trashing, blundering piece of road-going dynamite. You see, while it maybe hopeless at turns, get it onto a straight, and it will take the tarmac, along with any cars on it, and swallow it whole. This car burns down the straights as quickly as it screws up its tyres, and will do a lap in 1:17.474.

After: Now, this is more like it. The wheelspin up front has been reduced, if not completely eliminated during cornering. The car can take corners easier and without too much of a fight, and well, it's fast. I mean really, really, properly fast! At one point, passing the ghost C4 without the tune, I thought it had stopped. I just catapulted ahead and left him for dead down long straights. It still at times refuses to turn, like it's going on strike, which is both fitting for a french car and rather irritating. The brakes could do with more work as well, it doesn't seem to forgive you if you miss the brake points. But that's just my views, and most these problems can be fixed once you get used to the car. It did a lap of 1:17.055. Not much gain in time, but laptimes are just a measure. What can't be measured is just how this feels compared to before. It feels tighten up, sharper, and overall, just better.

Now normally, that would be that. End of review, put the car in garage until next time. And I was going to do so, until the calm of the TGTT was disrupted by the sound of a engine popping and banging on the redline and the sight of a huge wall of tyre smoke coming my way. Creating the waves of smoke was another C4, just not a normal one. This has 440hp, 4WD, everything ripped out that isn't necessary to make it go, turn and stop, huge rally pedigree and a certain Sebastien Loeb at the wheel. He doesn't look pleased. Well, since I stole the wing from his C4 WRC and have no intention of giving it back, I sped off. Fast.
So, 1 lap of the track. I win, I keep the wing and it proves the C4's ability. He wins, I take the wing off and give it back to him.

Off the line, the WRC's 4WD and extra power launches it's lightweight body off the line, leaving me in the dust. But heading up to the corners, the VTS slowly claws some distance back, and by the entry to the first corner, we are neck and neck. Through the corner, the WRC isn't actually gaining any distance and we exit with barely 0.5 of a second distance. Predictably, in the small straights I'm left trailing behind, the C4 just can't match the WRC in terms of power. Honestly though, in the corners, I'm surprised at how close it gets. Exiting Chicago, the VTS is actually ahead! But down the long straight heading up to Hammerhead, the WRC just walks pass the little Citroen like it's standing still. The WRC just gracefully dances through the Hammerhead while the VTS plunders through clumsily, smoking its tyres on the exit. You see, that is the difference between a road car, and a purpose-built race car. The WRC can clear corners at speeds that will leave the VTS gasping. But passing the tyres, there still isn't much distance between us. As we head down towards the second to last corner, I made an ambitious attempt to pass on the inside. But the C4, being french and a slacker, couldn't be bothered to turn in and stuck us off the track. It wasn't over yet though, one last turn, one last chance to get by. The WRC was getting edgy, and loses it entering the last turn far too quickly. I took the chance and lunged for the lead, firing over the apex of the turn and dragging two wheels across the grass. The result? Well, look at the laptimes we acheived.
C4 VTS
403hp
1102kg
laptime:1:16.194

C4 WRC
440hp
1230kg
laptime:1:16.480

Ohh yeaa, we beat him, by a hair. This car is unbelievably fast, and it beating Loeb's WRC is just another example of what it can do when it's not being french and get serious.

right, 2 reviews left, tell me which you would like to see first:
Golf R32 vs Golf GTI RM
Maserati GT vs DB9 (sport soft)

Golf R32 vs Golf GTI RM

Damn I was almost gonna do teh Maserati but I can't be bothered to make the review. Never mind, I'll give teh chance to you, if you're gonna do one.

Well, since I'm bored, I'll just do the Golf GTI RM review now:
Before: This is the Golf GTI RM, the ultimate hot hatch. You can forget the 147, you can forget the C4 or any other hot hatch you care to mention, this will beat just about everything. Even on sport soft tyres, it doesn't feel anything like the C4. It's the opposite of it, but still maintains all the C4's good points. It explodes down straights like the C4 but can take corners with ease thanks to the high downforce and low weight. It actually feels like a RJ's R32, only with less power and less weight, think of this as the diet version of that car. But unlike other FF car, the only problem here is the slight understeer. That's it. No problems with dealing with power, no problems with using every last one of those horses either. With a laptime of 1:17.922, things are looking good, and that's before the setup was changed.

After: Well what a surprise, it's at least 1 second quicker with a time of 1:16.779. And it's not just faster either. The slight understeer has been neutered and this car really is complete. It grips and goes like an Evo, without the techy gadgets. This car relies on pure mechanical grip. But the combination of this is that it now feels, well, rather underwhelming. Actually no, underwhelming isn't the word, but it's just that is car is so good, it just walks over everything else and sort of leaves you feeling just a bit disappointed with everything else. So, it's a good car that will ruin everything else.

Laptime: (Tested on TGTT)
1:17.922(before)
1:16.779(after)

The Golf GTI vs R32 will come later, along with another one of 'me trying to prove Roj wrong' shootout. The GTI RM vs Audi R8/ BMW M5.

can't do the Maserati review yet, got to grind for more cash after buying the things for the GTI review

Meh, I'll leave it to you mate. I'll be doing another shootout involving four wild bulls ready to rip the flesh out of each other.

REVIEW: NSX-R 3rd Anniversary
And another one is converted. :sly: Haha. :P Thanks for the review! The NSX really does have an ability to change people's minds within a lap or two. :D It's just a blend of everything that an NSX should be. It makes me so proud. :embarrassed: As for Juliet, she isnt as fast when it comes to GVS because of the straights. It's a known fact that whilst an Elise can match and sometimes surpass the NSX's cornering speeds, the straights belong to the NSX. :D Again, thanks for the review!
Ok, this is my 4th review lined up of the 6, and this is the one I've been looking forward to doing the most.
Citroen C4 VTS review:
Sorry Loeb, looks like the spoiler is ours! :lol: So which racing driver shall we annoy next? Jeff Gordon? Vettel? :lol:

But yeah, the C4 does have it's problems and I'd like to blame it on the fact it's a Citroen and not a Honda. :P The brakes do take getting used to and the power is still a bit too much for the tyres sometimes, which in a FWD is lethal.

Thanks for the review and the final victory in the fight against Loeb. No wonder they retired the C4 WRC, if it loses to a boosted C4 VTS. :lol:
Golf R32 vs Golf GTI RM

Do the Golf war first then leave the GT fight as a season finale. :D

Edit: I reply too slow.

Well, since I'm bored, I'll just do the Golf GTI RM review now:
Before: This is the Golf GTI RM, the ultimate hot hatch. You can forget the 147, you can forget the C4 or any other hot hatch you care to mention, this will beat just about everything. Even on sport soft tyres, it doesn't feel anything like the C4. It's the opposite of it, but still maintains all the C4's good points. It explodes down straights like the C4 but can take corners with ease thanks to the high downforce and low weight. It actually feels like a RJ's R32, only with less power and less weight, think of this as the diet version of that car. But unlike other FF car, the only problem here is the slight understeer. That's it. No problems with dealing with power, no problems with using every last one of those horses either. With a laptime of 1:17.922, things are looking good, and that's before the setup was changed.

After: Well what a surprise, it's at least 1 second quicker with a time of 1:16.779. And it's not just faster either. The slight understeer has been neutered and this car really is complete. It grips and goes like an Evo, without the techy gadgets. This car relies on pure mechanical grip. But the combination of this is that it now feels, well, rather underwhelming. Actually no, underwhelming isn't the word, but it's just that is car is so good, it just walks over everything else and sort of leaves you feeling just a bit disappointed with everything else. So, it's a good car that will ruin everything else.

Laptime: (Tested on TGTT)
1:17.922(before)
1:16.779(after)

The Golf GTI vs R32 will come later, along with another one of 'me trying to prove Roj wrong' shootout. The GTI RM vs Audi R8/ BMW M5.
Thanks for the review! The Golf is a really nice car to drive and I'm glad RJ let me take it off his hands. :P My only fault with the Golf isnt the Golf's or my fault. It's PD's for not letting me give it more power. :P

Meh, I'll leave it to you mate. I'll be doing another shootout involving four wild bulls ready to rip the flesh out of each other.
Lambo fight? I think I'll watch... from a very high up place where it's safe. :scared:

Golf R32 vs Golf GTI RM

Golf R32
401hp
1216kg
laptime: 1.16.635

Thoughts: After getting out of the GTI RM and into this, it feels like all the feel and contact has been taken away. It's just a fast golf now, nothing special. It goes like the GTI, looks like a GTI, and has the same, if not more, grip as the GTI. But it isn't a GTI. And that makes a difference. It doesn't have the same sense of eagerness that the GTI had. I now know what Jeremy Clarkson meant by VW ruining the GTI as the generations came and went, because what was originally a hyper fast, hyper fun, supercar slaughtering hatchback has now become something rather common, rather dull. You see what I mean about the GTI RM ruining other cars now?

Golf GTI RM
318hp
980kg
laptime:1:16.094

Thoughts: Well, this time isn't too surprising to see an underpowered car winning, is it? The GTI RM is much lighter than the R32, and isn't that down on power comparatively. But that laptime took 2 laps of solid concentration to pull off, and if we remember, the C4 VTS when pushed, did a 1:16.194, just 0.1 of a second off. So really, despite the GTI beating the R32 and making the other cars feel inferior, it's actually just ahead of a wild, uncontrolled, mental french box with a wing nicked from a rally car and an engine with a HUGE turbo stuck to the back. I have to say, I was expecting more from it this time, but still a win is a win. So the King of the Golf's, the GTI RM. Which means it's the best Golf, which means it's probably the best and most all-round FF car there ever was.

If you look at the tuner comments for the GTI RM, near the end, Roj makes some claims I found hard to believe. He claims that this little golf, built to go to the shops and to carry furniture everywhere could beat an Audi R8 and an M5 around a track. Obviously, this I had to see.
(tested on TGTT)
Audi R8 vs GTI RM

Audi R8
414hp
1560kg
laptime:1:17.023

Thoughts:This feels quick, until you look at the laptimes. It's a very deceptive car, this. It feels much quicker than it really is, but it's actually quite fun to drive. Compliant, fun, doesn't bite unless you want it to and feels faster than it is. I have no doubt the GTI RM will walk pass this like it's standing still. Anyways, bring on the GTI!

Golf GTI RM
318hp
980kg
laptime: 1:16.585

Thoughts: First off, can I just aplogise for that rather moody shootout earlier. I had a headache which blinded me from anything good and compounded issues to make them unbearable (I ran into the kitchen door while getting some water and couldn't open it until I remembered to turn the door handle first, what was said after that can not be typed out as it will definitely need to be censored). Anyways, as expected, it crushed the Audi. The fact that the GTI is down 100hp doesn't matter here, because it's light enough to compensate and corners quickly enough to leave the R8 in the dust. I would hate to see the face of the R8 driver when he notices his flash new supercar can't shake off a Golf. And I would really feel sorry for the poor guy when the GTI soars pass him at the next stretch of road. 149,000 or so wasted on a car that could be passed by a run-of-the-mill hatchback. Shows you the power of a well sorted car tuned by people who knows what they are doing.

Last edited:
Back