Mad FinnTuners Co. - Finished 081213 - The Final Countdown, 4, 3, 2, 1, OUT!

• Thread starter Greycap
  • 1,705 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys would like to invite you to come join in my Wallbanger's "Tons of Fun" Gran Turismo Year End Blowout. Should be a great event and would love to see you represent there!👍👍

They only attend it if Mafiaboy runs it, right? :D

Just build it now and added the settings. Mine car specs are 413BHP and 554pp, I've added all the parts so I think you may have made a typo error.👍

Going to test shortly and will be back with some feedback.

Edit:
Gave it a go at Deep Forest and managed a time of 1:17.698, which is fast in my books. Nearly 4 seconds quicker than the AEM S2000 which had the previous record. All in all I think its a good setup, it took me a couple laps to get used to but I got it in the end. 👍 5/5

Oops.. My bad, the parts list has the racing titanium exhaust which my car doesn't have in order to keep it around 550pp. Fixing that right now.

Having a couple of hours between the last and the next business trip I decided to give the Great White a go. It has probably not done much to instill calmness and serenity in me, or in fact to lower my heart rate or blood pressure. Oh, well... ;)

In any case, just did GVS with it and entered the lvl 19 Polyphony Digital Cup in it - figuring it should have no trouble there. Somehow the choice of opponents was pretty much spot on, on which later.

To do a before and after, I first only installed the parts and adapted the gearbox ratios but left all other settings stock. While the car is still borderline controllable in this way it is neither pleasant nor particularly effective. One has the impression of steering a top fuel dragster along a track - it annihilates anything else on the straights but is super slow both into and out of corners and when turning it oscillates between hopeless understeer (if you are still braking or on light throttle) and dramatic oversteer (as soon as you touch the loud pedal a bit more vigorously). The oversteer is controllable but that means lots of fishtailing and very slow corner exits. Enter a corner too fast or brake into one and it's plowing straight on, no matter what you then do with the throttle (at least not at my driving skill level). Turn in is generally appaling and the car, while I managed to win, was a handful throughout, and the result much more uncertain till the end, than it needed to be with the PP advantge over the opposition (an S2000 was already a bit of a challenge at times).

Enter your settings and another round of GVS. The car felt immediately more responsive turning into the first corner and I felt much more in controll right from the start. Maybe that was premature, as the character of the car is not so much transformed, as just slightly mildened.

The supercharger will still overwhelm those rear tyres practically at will, so you need to continue being very carefull, when driving the beast.

Turn in is definitely improved but beware of the same understeer problems, in a milder form.

Stability under braking, not a stellar feature of the car with stock setup, is also better but it is not nearly as rock stable braking for the first corner at GVS as almost all others of your cars are.

And using the left curb on the top of the hill is likely to have the rear end brake loose, costing you a lot of time controlling it, rather than rocketing down the straight into the next U corner.

On top I never managed a completely stress free line between the first and the second tunnels, I either drove way too close to the outer line, giving me few options to correct, or battled with various degrees of oversteer, whic was amusing but not exactly fast.

Overall I managed to shave off 2 secs of the best stock setup time with your settings but I felt quite beat up after the experience. I find it a lot harder to drive fast than something like Greycap's Group A GT-R, a car rated advanced.

So in my opinion (and my hands), more of a muscle car from Untertuerkheim than a track weapon. Or more of a mallet than a bladed weapon :D And definitely the hardest car in your stable for me to drive fast (of the ones I have tried).

To calm my nerves from the rather rough Butcher Benz, I decided to go for something more likely to handle - namely your NSX GT2. It kind of looks cool, and I always wanted to give the RM'd Acura a try, so here goes.

Before I start, a couple of comments. I also got the 413bhp and could not replace the Titanium Race exhaust with a standard one, as it was inbuilt. Should I remove something else?

More worryingly, perhaps, I could not get the gearbox ratios specified - even following the instructions and resetting it twice, I still could not get the first three gears quite long enough (outside of the available range), 4 and 5, as well as the final were fine.

But these niggles aside, how did the NSX do? I tried it at the Supercar Seasonal at Trial Mountain, first with gearbox mods only, the other setup being stock.

The car handles pretty sharply right out of the box, with the one noticeable feature being a pretty lively tail. It was always fighting at a disadvantage in an environment in the 580 - 620 PP range with the same choice of tyres but I managed a pretty respectable 2nd place (starting from last) and apart from the lairy tail (which caught me out several times), it was quite a nice steer.

With your settings applied the car is similar in character but sharpened up. The tail (probably due to fairly skinny rears) is still the thing to take care off, as everything else is pretty much spot on.

Turn in is excellent, it holds the chosen line really well, stability under braking is fantastic, over bumps as well as on a flat surface and the acceleration, while not quite of the same caliber as the cars around me, was pretty solid and relatively seamless.

In the end, it is the tail, where the secret lies. A pedal to the metal approach will rarely work and a much more gentle right foot is rewarded. Places to really look out for are when accelerating out of slow corners (such as the first tunnel at TM) so it is not a beginner's machine but a relatively stress free one, once you know what to look out for.

I found it difficult to extract consistent lap times out of the car - getting two laps within a second was a rare event. I did however manage to win the event against significantly more powerful machinery, so a sense of achievement was definitely there, and my best lap (I only managed a time like it once, never to be repeated) was a whole 2 seconds faster than my best with the stock setup 👍

Overall I find the car quite similar in character to the R390 you made for me, if a bit tamer (this one I can catch most of the time, when it breaks out, the Datsun, less so).

In any case, an excellent machine and great fun, too :)

Heh, the M-B was built as "sideways on demand / turn by throttle" machine primarily and everything else was secondary.. Well, almost. :lol: Once you get the hang of it, You can hang the tail out as long as you wish.

You can remove the racing titanium exhaust and replace it with standard one on the NSX. As for the gearing problems, I'm surprised. o.O

Obviously you want me to tune this GT500 GTR..? :P It just appeared to my inbox.. :lol: Next time, remember to PM me or grey first so we won't be so puzzled by cars popping up without explanation.

The gearing problems will be because of the exhaust change (due to the max RPM difference).

I didn't know that RM cars could have a standard exhaust installed :confused:.

I believe it's still possible to RM a car, and leave the Titanium exhaust unticked - but once ticked, you can't go back.

And, uh, thanks for all the great tunes. Must... review... someday.

[/relurks]

Indeed, that's how it is. And, please, do review when you have time. No hurry at all.. *keeps the axe hidden behind his back* ;)

Indeed, that's how it is. And, please, do review when you have time. No hurry at all.. *keeps the axe hidden behind his back* ;)

And I believe, it's time for me to reappear with a few reviews too! I've finally found that bleedin' Clio, so there's one review for everyone, now just gimme a week to type them out……

Yes, somehow the message followed the car, not the other way around - will try to avoid it in the future. :)

In the meantime, I also tried out the unequal (and certainly not monozygotic) twin of the NSX, namely the Supermarine S.6B. Unlike normally, I did not have an unaltered one to compare it to, so the whole review is of the finished article.

The races I did were on Suzuka, Trial Mountain, Deep Forrest, GVS and Tokyo R246. The car is brutally fast but as written in the description its rating is 'advanced', meaning it is not easy to extract the maximum performance out of it but it is also not something to give you sweaty palms just looking at it.

Let me explain. The car has much better acceleration than it has any right to be with the relatively light state of tune the engine is in. Braking is amongst the most assured ones, I have sampled, too. Cornering is vice free and getting the tail out is generally not something that will happen to you unawares. Sure, in slow turns, like the Hairpin at Suzuka, it will help turn the car in the direction desired but overall it does not come into play in a scary way and all the breakout attempts are easily thwarted by a bit of opposite lock.

These characteristics all conspire to make it an easier car to drive than the NSX twin. However, there is one but in this assessment - namely, the car still has little front end grip - I am sure not as bad as stock but something you need to know how to drive around. Getting it pointed in the right direction before mashing the throttle is generally a good idea, or at least being able to unwind the lock, when doing so - helps as well. On part throttle it understeers quite a lot and it takes a firm shove of the welly to get the front pointing more to where one wants, with the proviso that too firm a shove may well have you understeered out already, or pushed you towards a fishtailing maneuvre, which while amusing to watch does not really enhance your speed.

So final verdict? Easy to drive, even for a not too experienced helmsman but at the same time hard to get the most out of it. The tied down rear is great news for nerves (in endurance racing) but the slight grip deficit at the front makes planning and a certain precision in driving it essential, if you are to extract the times posted on the first page.

And while I had absolutely no trouble passing cars of up to 620 PP and with same tyres on Trial Mountain (and thoroughly embarassing them in the process), I did not quite manage to bag the McLaren F1 on R246 with the S.6B.

[...] if you are to extract the times posted on the first page.
That was actually a good reminder for me to put six new replay files into the archive.

But to the review... yes, it still shows some reluctancy to turn but thank God it's nowhere near the behaviour of the road going version which probably was fitted with a rigid front axle from the factory. I couldn't quite get the handling to match that of the legendary Cerbera LM from GT and GT2 but apparently it turned out to be a very manageable lightweight racer which is a lot more than one might expect after experiencing it full stock. When pushed hard it gives a pleasant (at least for me) feeling of being just enough in control to avoid getting integrated to the barriers but at the same time being slightly beyond the limits and thus using every ounce of grip the car has to offer. It's certainly a precision car, that I can fully agree with.

Oh, and thanks of course! 👍

Last edited:
Next in line I tried the mad VW aka the Nardo. I was actually a bit surprised it came on RS tyres, most of your machinery being shod with the SS variety.

Long story short, it is massively faster than a road car at that PP ratio has any right to be. I tried it on Trial Mountain, as well as in its more natural habitats of Monza and Le Mans. The surprising aspect was that in Le Mans, I easily managed to keep an XJR-9LM behind (a bit of weaving on the straights necessary), which has something to do with the AI but also with the car being much faster than it has any right to.

In Monza in the World Series seasonal, I bagged a solid second place (starting last), with only a C60 Hybride finishing in front of me (had I had another two laps to go, i would probably have bagged that one, too).

In essence the car is super grippy, super fast, with a steam locomotive acceleration and excellent stability under braking. The one area that needs a little bit of care is accelerating out of slow corners, where the rear may break out somewhat but it is generally quite controllable. Even if you get it into a fishtail, 9 out of 10 times you will catch it before a major drama and while it hops around a bit on both Le Mans as well as on the long straight at Trial Mountain, it does not completely lose contact with the ground and therefore control at any point.

Overall a very unassuming, unbelievable production car that will stamp practically everything in its way into dust. 👍

In Monza in the World Series seasonal, I bagged a solid second place (starting last), with only a C60 Hybride finishing in front of me (had I had another two laps to go, i would probably have bagged that one, too).
I tried myself and passed that Pescarolo on the fourth lap. :dopey:
And then had to fight a Sauber C9 in the lead. :ouch:
And eventually won by 0,2xx seconds. :sly:

But yes, it IS fast. That's also why slicks were used, on sports tyres it would have been just another supercar among others but now it has a fair chance of beating anything the AI can throw at it. And, one thing to be considered, it's not fully tuned yet...

GT500 Calsonic Impul GTR returned to its owner.. Next time, no chassis reinforcement, please..?

Not yet, but if you review a car from either Greycap or me, there will be. The list is on first page, as well as instructions.

Toyota Supra Turbo A+'88

540 bhp, 564 Nm, 1235 kg, PP 537
Painted in Black from Toyota

Clickable for full size

Parts to fit:
Oil Change
New Wheels, Enkei RC-T4, finished in original color from Enkei
Chassis Weight Reduction Stage 3
Window Weight Reduction
Carbon Bonnet (Body Colour)
Engine Tuning Stage 3
Sports ECU
Sports Intake Manifold
Racing Air Filter
Sports Exhaust
Sports Exhaust Manifold
Catalytic Converter: Sports
High RPM Range Turbo Kit
Fully Customizable Transmission
Twin Plate Clutch
Semi Racing Flywheel
Carbon Propeller Shaft
Fully Customizable LSD
Fully Customizable Suspension Kit
Sports Soft Tyres

Overall cost:<200k

Transmission

Note: First, reset the gearbox to the default settings, then set the Max speed, and only then set the gear ratios.

Gear Ratios
1st: 2.472
2nd: 1.664
3rd: 1.252
4th: 1.000
5th: 0.818
6th: 0.696
Final Gear: 4.100

Max speed: 360 km/h

Fully Customizable LSD
Initial Torque: 40
Acceleration Sensitivity: 25
Braking Sensitivity: 5

Suspension
Ride Height Adjustment (mm): 0 / 0
Spring Rate (kgf/mm): 7.5 / 7.5
Dampers (Extension): 10 / 10
Dampers (Compression): 2 / 2
Anti-Roll Bars: 4 / 4
Camber Angle (-): 1.5 / 1.5
Toe Angle: -0.30 / -0.10

Brake Balance Controller
Brake Balance: 2 / 10

Driving Options
ASM: Off
TCS: 0
ABS: 1

Come on now, step closer. Don't let the old-fashioned wedge-like looks and black paint scare you away. This, ladies and gents, is the perfect weekend car. As you can see from the promotional pictures, its right at it's home doing 120mph on snow and ice, as well as ludicrous angles on same conditions, while staying perfectly planted and controlled. So, it is not your usual Supra Turbo A from the late 80's, but one of the less spoken of special models, the Supra Turbo A+, and that one little addition in the name means worlds worth of difference. Its powered by trusty old 7M-GTE, but this time round it has upgraded turbo and internals, and stronger Group A headgasket to meet the demands of the larger power output.
How much, you ask? Well, this particular one was dynoed at 540bhp and 560+ Nm of torque, and when you combine that with a 6-speed transmission that was being developed for the next generation Supra at that time, you get a seriously fast machine, while retaining the sophisticated sound levels at highway speeds on top gear. Chassis and handling weren't left alone either, they were honed to trackday levels for occasional blasts on circuit, but still prove enough comfort for city driving. Now, sign here (Insurance) and here (Willing organ donor), and have a nice drive.

Nismo GT-R V-SpecII R-Tune '94

667 bhp, 655 Nm, 1350 kg, PP 576
Painted in Black Pearl (M) from Nissan

Clickable for full size

Parts to fit:
Oil Change
New Wheels, Rays Volk Racing CE28N, finished in Black Pearl (M) from Nissan
Front Extensions Type A
Chassis Weight Reduction Stage 3
Window Weight Reduction
Carbon Bonnet (Body Colour)
Engine Tuning Stage 3
Sports ECU
Sports Intake Manifold
Racing Air Filter
Titanium Racing Exhaust
Sports Exhaust Manifold
Catalytic Converter: Sports
High RPM Range Turbo Kit
Fully Customizable Transmission
Twin Plate Clutch
Semi Racing Flywheel
Carbon Propeller Shaft
Torque Distributing Centre Differential
Fully Customizable LSD
Fully Customizable Suspension Kit
Sports Soft Tyres

Overall cost: around 200.000 Cr

Weight Adjustment Ballast
Ballast Amount (kg): 105
Ballast Position: 50

Transmission

Note: First, reset the gearbox to the default settings, then set the Max speed, and only then set the gear ratios.

Gear Ratios
1st: 2.845
2nd: 1.915
3rd: 1.470
4th: 1.200
5th: 1.000
6th: 0.832
Final Gear: 4.111

Max speed: 360 km/h

Fully Customizable LSD
Initial Torque: 5 / 5
Acceleration Sensitivity: 15 / 30
Braking Sensitivity: 5 / 5

Torque Distributing Centre Differential
Front / Rear Torque Distribution: 25 / 75

Suspension
Ride Height Adjustment (mm): 0 / 0
Spring Rate (kgf/mm): 6.0 / 6.0
Dampers (Extension): 9 / 7
Dampers (Compression): 3 / 5
Anti-Roll Bars: 3 / 4
Camber Angle (-): 1.5 / 1.5
Toe Angle: 0.00 / -0.20

Brake Balance Controller
Brake Balance: 4 / 7

Driving Options
ASM: Off
TCS: 0
ABS: 1

Not as a fully tricked out monster, oh no, time for that comes later [...]
The time has come.

One year after being spotted for the first time the black GT-R surfaces again, now as a grown up supercar instead of the slightly improved stock model. Many things have changed - many enough to warrant a name change, now running under the Nismo flag. The bodyshell is still the very same, as are the wheels but under the surface very little of the original model remains. Gone is the sports transmission replaced by a straight cut racing version, as well as the stock engine which gave way to a N1 spec powerplant which in turn was subjected to quite serious modifications with the power being more than doubled from the starting point. While it's still unmistakeably an R32 it now rewards determined drivers like never before thanks to newly tuned differential locks and thoroughly revised suspension settings, bringing the Group A cornering knowledge to the street.

Wickedly quick? Yes. Rock stable when needed? Yes. Nimble through twisties? Yes. Well, shouldn't those last two take each other out? Yes, if it wasn't a GT-R... but it just happens to be.

I've witnessed an intercity bus drifting in a roundabout, so Supra is nothing to write home about.. :lol:

Lamborghini Murciélago LP 680-4 SV/J '09

675+ bhp, 675+ Nm, 1268 kg, PP 600
Painted in Verde Draco from Lamborghini

Pretty sweet car from what I've driven of it so far....

That's something we haven't seen yet, a video review! 👍 Perhaps someone will pull it off in full scale some day?

Aston Martin Vanquish GT '04

584 bhp, 638 Nm, 1384 kg, PP 558
Painted in Grasmere Blue from Aston Martin

Clickable for full size

It's not a Grand Tourer if it has 'Le Mans' suspension. That's arguably the most basic GT rule right there. GT = Soft suspension = comfort.

Last edited by a moderator:
First off, reading the opening post would have told you this and I'd greatly appreciate you editing the quote.
If you want to quote the setup post, please keep it down to the essentials. Do not quote the entire post.
And then, about what GT really means. It depends entirely on what the manufacturer wants it to mean. Your logic holds for a split second until cars like the Ford GT and the Nissan GT-R, or even entire racing classes such as FIA GT or Super GT are considered. We're actually playing a game called Gran Turismo which happens to translate as Grand Touring and included go-karts and F1 cars which are about as far removed from comfortability as can be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back