Mad FinnTuners Co. - Finished 081213 - The Final Countdown, 4, 3, 2, 1, OUT!

• Thread starter Greycap
  • 1,705 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s christmas, and as such, I’ll be nice, and celebrate it with a special member of the G.T.R (Gran Turismo Review) crew who has had more ‘screen’ time than any car reviewed. It’s this. The G.T.R stunt car. A R35 GTR. It’s been a loyal friend, and despite how much of a thrashing I’ve given it, it’s still served us well. From being thrown off the edge of a jump track 200 feet or so in the air to being riced out for a demolition derby, it’s done the lot. Of course, there’s a good reason for this, I hate the R35. But on Christmas, I feel it is time I put aside this hate for a moment and do some good deeds to this rather essential part of the team. I felt it was time to put the teeth back into this godzilla. So…the MFT GTR Group A Evolution, just how big a difference has it made to our stunt car?

MFT Nissan GTR Group A Evolution

First Impressions-

Well…erm……it’s a R35. Except…this one isn’t actually that bad. The gearbox is tuned well, providing it with it with plenty of acceleration while giving it a more than decent top speed. It’s also not the sleep inducing thing that it was before, though the 600+hp do help it in that respect in no small part. It feels eager to turn in, which is a surprise as most R35 fail to feel anything to begin with. But I’m still not exactly smitten with it. It seems to drag its arse around when you lift off in the corners and the rear wheels seem to be lacking some tyres as the car corners more like a FF with ballast in the boot rather than a proper 4WD.

Few races later-

Oh. My. God. This is just…impossibly fast. All I needed was a change of style and suddenly, I see the light. I’m taking a hunch here, but I’m guessing that some left foot/finger braking is needed to keep the back from fish tailing on entry. Anyway, this car differs from most R35s that I’ve driven in one respect. That ‘safety net’ which made this car very easy for the inexperienced to drive has been…sort of removed. It’s still easy, but it’ll no longer kick the tail out for you for the sake of keeping you out of the sand pit. Or, since this is Trial Mountain, the unforgiving stone walls. This car, this requires skill and some throttle control. This removes one of the biggest gripes I have with the R35. And unlike almost all R35s I’ve driven, this feels fast as well. There’s an actual sense of mild danger when I blast through the section of turns between the 1st and second tunnel of Trial Mountain at speed. This feels like RKM’s CT230RR only without being as mad and also without being given racing tyres.

To conclude, this tune transforms the R35 from being a droning pile of dog turd in the GTR lineup into a track day monster which delivers the thrills of a true GTR and becomes a car that is truly worthy of the GTR badge.

So, thanks Greycap, you’ve given me quite a present for Christmas, even if it was completely unintentional. Thanks for giving me a R35 that I know I will enjoy driving almost everyday.

👍
-------------

(Early) Merry Christmas, by the way. :D

Gotta thank these chaps, now I actually enjoy playing GT5 again.

Accidentally found this thread while surfing at work (wich I shouldnt do...) and couldnt wait to get home and fire up some of these tunes up.

After testing the Challenger SRT-8, Camaro SS and Impreza tunes... All I can say is wow... Especially with the FR cars the driving feel is incredible, I didnt know I can throw in fast lap times and drift around corners like a champ with the same setup.

Cant wait to try some other tunes, keep 'em coming!

Gotta thank these chaps, now I actually enjoy playing GT5 again.

Accidentally found this thread while surfing at work (wich I shouldnt do...) and couldnt wait to get home and fire up some of these tunes up.

After testing the Challenger SRT-8, Camaro SS and Impreza tunes... All I can say is wow... Especially with the FR cars the driving feel is incredible, I didnt know I can throw in fast lap times and drift around corners like a champ with the same setup.

Cant wait to try some other tunes, keep 'em coming!

Thank you, and we shall do so! And, if you like these tunes so much, please, feel free to give us some more detailed reviews. As a reward either one of us will make you a custom tune for a car you've chosen, depending of whose car you review. ;)

Also, good to see a fellow Finn here. :lol:

Just ran the Focus ST in the Stars and Stripes seasonal event, Laguna Seca. Was averaging 1:30.xxx laps and won by quite a margin. I did go one step further and add the high-rpm turbo to it. This thing truly is mad!

Edit: just been running it some more. The suspension settings as specified are superb, with or without the turbo. A touch of understeer, but not enough that it's annoying. I did find that I had to fettle the gear ratios some when the turbo is installed, but otherwise this setup is top notch.

One thing I am curious about, though: the wheels. Does it matter which ones are installed? Do they all react the same way?

Last edited:
People, feel free to write longer reviews if you can and want to. They'll help us to improve our tunes.

Oh, did I mention that I've already pushed 2012 GT-R Black Edition to 253mph? :D

People, feel free to write longer reviews if you can and want to. They'll help us to improve our tunes.

Oh, did I mention that I've already pushed 2012 GT-R Black Edition to 253mph? :D

So are you sayin' the one I wrote in the page before wasn't quite long enough? :grumpy:
It's a R35, so I don't care. :P

You didn't review my GT-R, so.. :D

……no chance in me buying another R35 for a review, that was a one off time that I was going to be nice to a R35, and it was only because of the hard labour that particular one went through. So yea…:P

As the probably last review before Xmas, I finally got around to trying the Murcielago LP680. After the encouraging words of Greycap I decided to give the beast a try, after my previously rather less than pleasant times with the car in one of the specials (sure, not quite the same car).

What I did not like about it before was the extreme reluctance to successfully navigate several direction changes in a row (without it braking out each and every way) and the pretty poor direction stability under braking.

As I did not tune the car from scratch but used a borrowed, already set up example, I cannot do a before / after comparison, though.

I tried it at R246, Trial Mountain, GVS and another track I cannot remember (and due to the new 2.02 pdate, which removed the Lambo Seasonal I used, I can no longer check, either).

So, the verdict? Had I not known the car was set up for speed, I would have sworn it was a drift tune. It has a good turn of speed and once you got used to it, it certainly posts some decent times. Not quite the same as your tuned R35s in my hands but close.

However the behaviour is a bit different. At no time did I feel the car had adequate grip on its SS tyres for its power. This was most prominent at the front, the rear being a tad better tied down but always ready for an oversteer on demand.

This made it more of a blunt instrument in the muscle car tradition than a clinical instrument - at least in my hands. In terms of perception, I felt that three tyres out of 4 were constantly red, or at least at any time when I was not going in a straight line. It was not extremely difficult to drive but always a bit messy.

Problem corners were the Asakasa Palace chicane at R246 primarily, and any other corner combination where a quick direction change was needed. Also braking from high speeds still means more of the standard Murci instability and constant steering corrections than the otherwise rock solid stability of almost all your other cars.

An interesting car, definitely, but in my hands a tad slower than your tuned NSX, or the R35s. Maybe it just needs a different type of driver, or at least one with a pedal and wheel setup, rather than the DS3.

As a BTW, the RS200 is amply sufficient to win all but the high speed events in the Stars and Stripes seasonals, in spite of being almost 80PP down on the competition and starting last. 👍

And it is good fun too, beating all that expensive machinery in a 27 year old Ford with a 2 litre engine ;)

To conclude, this tune transforms the R35 from being a droning pile of dog turd in the GTR lineup into a track day monster which delivers the thrills of a true GTR and becomes a car that is truly worthy of the GTR badge.
Always up to the challenge of making a boring car more lively! It's certainly far from the sure-footedness of most other GT-Rs but that's intentional and actually I would have liked to make it oversteer even more but corner exit was getting compromised so that's what I came up with. It's fast, very fast, but as with the real GT-R I have no idea how it does it. It seems to have too little power, too much weight and the cornering speeds don't seem that special either but at the end of the day it's still the fastest 600PP road car I've driven. Must be the magic of the red emblem.
An interesting car, definitely, but in my hands a tad slower than your tuned NSX, or the R35s. Maybe it just needs a different type of driver, or at least one with a pedal and wheel setup, rather than the DS3.
And an interesting result, I have to say. Nothing odd in it getting beaten by the GT-Rs, the Murcielago has to be driven really hard to match those rockets from the rising sun but the NSX really shouldn't be a threat of any kind to it - the difference with me driving is three seconds a lap, and that's on a relatively technical course. I guess that it tells more about how hard it is to extract the most from the heavy hitters than the NSX itself. And yes, this green lightning can definitely be a handful unless you're used to cars that try to escape to any other direction than the one you have in mind. Oddly enough I liked it a lot myself, it's refreshingly different from all the "running on rails" cars and in fact very similar to the RS200 in that respect. Perhaps the conclusion should be drawn that while mid-engined AWD cars with a lot more power than grip are very much to my liking they probably don't work all that well for everyone. :P

Toyota Supra Turbo A+'88 review

Don't let the wedge-like looks and black paint scare you away they say. Hah, that's the best part. How could I not love the classic looks that this car provides? :D

Recently I tried the MFT Supra Turbo A+. It's faster, stronger and better than the regular version, that's for sure. At first I tried the car on grand valley speedway with all the parts equipped, but with the standard settings.
It was awful. It had wheelspin all the way up to the 4th gear and with gearing like that you can imagine what fun it was in the corners. And like the massive power wasn't enough the car was also very unstable. Take a corner wrong or apply a bit more pressure on the brake and you'll be battling for control. Definitely not a pleasant car to drive.
Of course the car was not meant to be driven in this state, so I entered the correct setup and gave it another go.
The improvement was seen straight away. The massive wheelspin was gone which meant I could actually take corners correctly. Not only that, but the cars stability was improved massively. The car now had no problem tackling tight corners with some screeching of the tires if necessary. The car was much much easier to control, yet all the horsepower does still provide a challenge if you're looking for it. Careful throttle control through the corners is key.

Well that and you need to use the brakes. A lot. The cars stability seems to come at a price as the car does tend to understeer at higher speeds meaning that faster corners can surprise you if you're not careful. The car seems to have two personalities. The more fun personality in the tighter corners and the less fun understeery personality in the faster longer corners... and at the start of tighter corners if you don't apply enough presure on the brake. This double personality provides a bit of a mental challenge as you need to be wary of both understeer and oversteer in the same time. None of these two traits are too overwhelming, yet it's the contrast between the two that surprised me the most. Yet driven right it is a very fast car.

However this was not the end of my test. Seeing the nice thumbnail of the Supra in the snow left me wondering what it's like on Snow tires. Somewhere in France. Chamonix more precisely.
So without second thoughts I bought the tires and tried it out. As was expected the cars oversteery traits became much more apparent. But before addressing that I noticed I noticed a return of something I've noticed on tarmac with the version of the car with no settings. The car was very unstable going in a straight line up to the 3rd or 4th gear. Full throttle is a bad idea apparently as the cars power was just too much for the worse traction. In higher revs the car would start sliding even if you go in a completely straight line! Though it's nothing too concerning as you can easily regain control.
Now back to the oversteer. It's obviously quite apparent being a snow track and all, yet the car retains its stability. This may seem strange since I just said it's unstable in lower gears, but all that is needed is good throttle control. Good throttle control is crucial in this car. Especially on the snow. It's very fun and I encourage anyone to try it out. At first it seems like a beast, but as soon as you start thinking and using good throttle control the car rewards you.

Thanks for the thorough review of both good and bad sides! And it was quite brave of you to take this 550bhp+ monster to the icy track.. But, it was fun too, I bet! :lol:

In that case I request a VW Scirocco. Since it's DLC and I can't send you one I guess you'll have to buy one yourself (the remote racing I do for you should cover that anyway :P ) and send me the setup.

I'm not requesting anything specific. You can use whatever parts you want, just make it less of an understeering bore than it is now. And of course you can try and cram in as much power as you feel you can get away with without sacrificing too much of the handling. :D

In that case I request a VW Scirocco. Since it's DLC and I can't send you one I guess you'll have to buy one yourself (the remote racing I do for you should cover that anyway :P ) and send me the setup.

I'm not requesting anything specific. You can use whatever parts you want, just make it less of an understeering bore than it is now. And of course you can try and cram in as much power as you feel you can get away with without sacrificing too much of the handling. :D

Scirocco?

Understeering pig?

Erm, what?

Yeah, Scirocco really isn't that bad now that I and Greycap fixed it.. Oh, and it will be published bit later. But, on that note, today we will release two boxy and powerful legends.

But, on that note, today we will release two boxy and powerful legends.
I wouldn't put my money on "today" and about being legends... well, the first one was supposed to, yes, but the other one completely blitzed it - and everything else - with such crushing performances that the motoring world got changed forever.

NisMo 240RS-R'83

350 bhp, 317 Nm, 863 kg, PP 499
Painted in White from Nissan

Clickable for full size

Parts to fit:
Oil Change
Chassis Weight Reduction Stage 3
Rigidity Improvement
Window Weight Reduction
Engine Tuning Stage 3
Sports ECU
Sports Intake Manifold
Racing Air Filter
Titanium Racing Exhaust
Sports Exhaust Manifold
Catalytic Converter: Sports
Fully Customizable Transmission
Twin Plate Clutch
Semi Racing Flywheel
Carbon Propeller Shaft
Fully Customizable LSD
Fully Customizable Suspension Kit
Sports Soft Tyres

Overall cost:<250k

Transmission

Note: First, reset the gearbox to the default settings, then set the Max speed, and only then set the gear ratios.

Gear Ratios
1st: 2.720
2nd: 1.897
3rd: 1.464
4th: 1.179
5th: 0.975
Final Gear: 4.100

Max speed: 250 km/h

Fully Customizable LSD
Initial Torque: 15
Acceleration Sensitivity: 25
Braking Sensitivity: 5

Suspension
Ride Height Adjustment (mm): 0 / 0
Spring Rate (kgf/mm): 7.5 / 7.0
Dampers (Extension): 10 / 10
Dampers (Compression): 2 / 2
Anti-Roll Bars: 7 / 7
Camber Angle (-): 1.5 / 1.5
Toe Angle: -0.40 / -0.40

Brake Balance Controller
Brake Balance: 2 / 10

Driving Options
ASM: Off
TCS: 0
ABS: 1

Yes, it has ridiculous, boxy wheelarches made out of unobtanium. Yes, it has a bespoke naturally aspirated engine that revs stratospherically high and then some. And yes, it's lighter than mosquito. And, you guessed right, it's an outright riot to drive. Designed by Nissan to compete in Group B and Dakar rally, 240RS was the last hurrah of naturally aspirated FR rallycars. There was rumours of even more advanced and lighter model that was kept hidden on the Nissans own proving grounds and testing facilities, but as soon as Nissan realised that time has driven past the traditional FR layout, the evolution project was abandoned and buried into large industrial storage hall and forgotten... Until now.

This is the legendary 240RS-R, and you guessed right, that additional R brings more power, more torque, more sound, and less weight. Nissan tickled the legendary FJ24 racing motor to the very extreme limits due the fact that rallies were turning from endurance events to shorter, more strenuous sprint events, and as such, motor needed to give more power while sacrificing durability. And once you've driven this machine, you can only think of one thing: Mission accomplished. But sadly, there's a very good and equally legendary reason why this howling banshee never saw the road, and as soon as you see the pair of this car, you'll understand why.

Audi quattro Straße '82

395+ bhp, 445+ Nm, 1273 kg, PP 491
Painted in Alpine White from Audi

Clickable for full size

Parts to fit:
Oil Change
New Wheels, Rays Volk Racing CE28N, finished in Alpine White from Audi
Chassis Weight Reduction Stage 3
Window Weight Reduction
Engine Tuning Stage 3
Sports ECU
Sports Intake Manifold
Racing Air Filter
Titanium Racing Exhaust
Sports Exhaust Manifold
Catalytic Converter: Sports
High RPM Range Turbo Kit
Fully Customizable Transmission
Twin Plate Clutch
Semi Racing Flywheel
Carbon Propeller Shaft
Torque Distributing Centre Differential
Fully Customizable LSD
Fully Customizable Suspension Kit
Sports Soft Tyres

Overall cost: 200.000+ Cr

Weight Adjustment Ballast
Ballast Amount (kg): 200
Ballast Position: 50

Transmission

Note: First, reset the gearbox to the default settings, then set the Max speed, and only then set the gear ratios.

Gear Ratios
1st: 2.770
2nd: 1.892
3rd: 1.465
4th: 1.200
5th: 1.000
Final Gear: 3.650

Max speed: 250 km/h

Fully Customizable LSD
Initial Torque: 5 / 5
Acceleration Sensitivity: 20 / 30
Braking Sensitivity: 5 / 5

Torque Distributing Centre Differential
Front / Rear Torque Distribution: 30 / 70

Suspension
Ride Height Adjustment (mm): 0 / 0
Spring Rate (kgf/mm): 7.0 / 6.0
Dampers (Extension): 8 / 8
Dampers (Compression): 4 / 4
Anti-Roll Bars: 2 / 2
Camber Angle (-): 1.5 / 1.5
Toe Angle: 0.00 / -0.10

Brake Balance Controller
Brake Balance: 6 / 4

Driving Options
ASM: Off
TCS: 0
ABS: 1

One of the true legends of motorsports, the Audi quattro (don't ask me why it's lower case but it is) changed the world of rallying for ever when it was introduced in 1980. The fact that in its first race which it entered as a zero car it would have taken the victory by half an hour tells more than anything else. That's traction for you and the days of RWD rallying were numbered.

However, the quattro in its original guise is hardly a quick car by today's standards and to give it back the glory it deserves the quattro Straße - following the lines of the Delta Stradale - has been created to revive the capabilities of the old rally warrior. The power isn't much short of the racing figures and the weight balance has been adjusted for noticably improved handling characteristics. The turbocharged inline five pulls strongly through all five gears of the newly fitted but original racing gearbox found in a crate at Ingolstadt. The suspension was borrowed from an old Group B S1, the understeer is gone and so is the slowness. When the distinguished roar of the exhaust begins to echo from the hill sides there's little doubt about something previously unknown approaching, at a quick rate at that, and it really has to be experienced to realize why it made the difference it did.

Having seen the two rally getaways, I could not but give the Nismo 240 RS-R a try. It just looks so improbable and I have liked it on my PSP quite a lot (in stock trim), so the choice was natural :)

In order to pay for the investment, I tried it in the ltest 500PP seasonal, at Trial Mountain first. Having done that race quite often lately, I had a bit of a yardstick to judge the car by.

Funilly enough, the car's age hardly seems apparent at this track. The acceleration is very strong for a NA car with a still limited power (the weight probably does that), and as most curves are not of the tight variety, it took me all of 1,25 laps to emerge from last to first - the car is just too powerful to make it much of a race. While I did only one five lap race there, the times achieved were better than Greycaps lower powered '94 Skyline, a brand new stock '07 M3 and several other vehicles, stock and tuned.

The only corner, where some care was necessary was the first tunnel one, where it proved almost impossible not to get through it without significant oversteer.

Luckily the oversteer (also common after exiting the second tunnel) is certainly a fun aspect of the car, easily caught and often grin inducing.

Taking it to GVS next, the car was still fun but not so fast, and needed quite a lot of care to get the most out of (for me). While not something that would have trouble at the start finish straight in the lvl 19 GVS race with any opposition present (a good feature), it did not quite match the times of some other opponents mentioned before, at least not in my hands.

The car's strongest suit was the first sector, where I would make up up to one second on a Ford GT, for instance, only to lose it again over the next two sectors. While I never managed the super quick transition at the top of the first hill (leading down to the tight U) that Greycap taught me to do in another car, it was still the section that suited the Nissan best.Hopping over kerbs was well soaked by the suspension but like with its older brother, your '73 Skyline, any contact with a bump or kerb will likely induce further oversteer, which can be caught but occupies your attention and probably does little for laptimes.

Any tighter corners I just did not manage particularly well - or said differently, I managed them fairly well as far as fun goes but the speed was just a bit embarassing. My worst problem was the last tunnel, where a standard RX-7 driven by the AI would easily harass me.

In terms of behaviour, the car would eventually turn in better if the throttle was released and do so quicker if you tapped the brakes a bit. And in slow corners you could always steer it by applying heavy throttle dosages - something obviously not available in the higher speed sectors, where you have no reserve to play with it. There the rear will almost come into play if you add a kerb or mid corner bump into the equation. In terms of catching the rear, it is not rocket science and anyone with a basic understanding of how to control a FR car should cope.

Overall a very fun little machine, even if not quite as fast as the PP rating would suggest on the tighter tracks. But it is also a car that benefits from experience, and which will reward careful driving (and not a constant pedal to the metal approach). 👍 You also have the feeling that more can be unlocked if you persevere and a good result will certainly leave you happier than with some more anodyne machinery. :)

Last edited:
Next in line was another boxy thing, the '88 Supra A+. Before I proceed, a disclaimer of my own - disregard Leonidae's warning about insurance, willing organ donor etc. - this car is so much more benevolent than the 530hp+ in a 24 year old FR chassis would suggest.

First to two questions. My Supra came straight from the shop, so a 0 mileage example, so I understand the figures will not be spot on but I found some interesting differences - 525bhp will probably get to 540 in time, but it also has more torque, funilly enough - namely 575 NM to your stated 564 and is 4 kg heavier (1239kg as opposed to 1235). Not sure how the last one is possible, to be honest.

The car - as I said - is very easy to drive. Where I expected something of a muscle car, it turned out to be a really decent performer allround, with adequate grip, and easy controllability, once that grip is gone.

From a standing start the rears will practically spin all the way to around 100 kmh, before settling down but it is so benign that you can do it in a curve, without having to possess some pretenatural car control skills.

Like with the Nismo 240 RS-R, it will kick its tail out when being manhandled over kerbs but it is even easier to control than with the little Nissan. It is a bit more nervous when braking for the first corner at GVS but compared to your standard, out of the box cars, still a paragon of stability. The extra weight does mean longer braking distances, when directly comparing it to the Nissan.

At GVS the only point, where I felt I was losing time was the last tunnel, where I found it impossible to get through without a massive drift angle - with massive fun, granted, but less than impressive speed. In comparison to the RS-R I got practically the same first sector time, gained around a second in the second sector, and had a comparable last sector time. Overall I came in some 4 seconds off your posted times, which is a bit slower than how I usually compare to your times but not completely out.

In essence I actually found the car to be something like a good trade up from your Mazda RX-7 - still very easy to control and learn but with a bit more speed (although far less than the difference in power would suggest). 👍

Next in line - the softly whooshing Mazdaspeed 3 MCR '03. In order to have a benchmark to measure it against, I did the 500PP seasonal at Trial Mountain with it's Lutecia brother that came in the same release - probably my favourite FF car so far (the almost 600k credits for the race were also a factor in choosing TM as a proving ground) ;)

In my haste I changed the brake balance and suspension settings but completely forgot to do anything about the gearbox or LSD (usually do it the other way around). :)

Even so I managed a best lap time of 1.5 seconds better than the Lutecia, which itself was so brutally dominant in the race that I managed the rush from last to first in 1.5 laps. The turbo truly was whoosing and the car very controllable, with a sliver more understeer than the Renault but the same general characteristics. It is easy to control and the car gives you so many options to alter your line mid corner that it's really a doddle to go for any line you wish. A lift in the middle will tuck the nose in, as will a slight tap on the brakes, and the car allows fairly early application of the throttle, which will pull you out of the corner nicely, too (as long as you brake in time).

The big surprise (where I figured out that the gearbox ratios better be adjusted) was in the long back straight, where the car topped out at around 210 kmh :) Another race, correct settings, the impressions were similar but slightly altered. With the gearbox and LSD set as well, the car seemed a bit less like the unruly eager terrier and a bit more clinical. In terms of speed, my best lap was a whole second better but this did include a bit of drafting on the long straight and I could not replicate the time afterwards. Still, I managed ca. 1.7 seconds a lap quicker times than the Renault on most laps, with the mentioned 2.5 second max - which for a track of this length and the same PP rating isn't bad at all. Especially since the Lutecia was my favourite FF car up to that point.

The main gains were in the first and second sectors, where I managed something over a second, the rest in the remaining two (OK, the differences are slight). The top speed down the back straight was on the order of 10 kmh higher than in the Lutecia and I managed to carry a bit more speed through the final chicane, too.

Otherwise the cars are remarkably similar in character, so if you like one, you will probably like the other just as much. In terms of your GVS laptimes, the two are practically the same, at TM I simply found the Mazda significantly faster, at practically all the fun of the Lutecia 👍 And if you like your cars unruly, do the brake balance and suspension but leave the gearbox and LSD stock ;)

Someone is on the roll, I see. The difference in the torque comes from the reason that we convert the Kgfm to Nm by multiplying it with 9.8, I hope that clears the things up a bit. Keep uop the good work, and feel free to send requests to both of us.. Or, atleast to me since Greycaps PS3 went into coma last night.

Another long overdue brotherly comparison I failed to make so far is between the Kentucky fiberglas clan - the RM Vette's. While I reviewed the Z06 one ages ago, it blew me away sufficiently that I never went for the ZR1 '09 variety (maybe it was the forced charging comment, that reminded me more of the race Ford GT I did try back then).

So I tried both of them in the current 650PP seasonal at GVS, first with RS tyres (was not sure exactly how quick they would turn out to be), then with the intended RMs. The one disclaimer is that both were running slightly reduced power to get within the 650 PP - i.e. about a 5% power reduction did it.

While your description points towards a difference in character, while the posted times are practically identical, I found the difference slight. In other words, both are your excellent Fisher price 'My first race car' (not only speaking of the interior plastics) vehicles, and probably the easiest way to enter the world of truly high powered FR cars. They brake in a straight line or into corners without missing a beat, and usually no steering correction is necessary. The acceleration is strong but doing so out of corners will not result in sweaty hands, as the tail breakaway is minute at worst, and easily corrected. Sure, you cannot expect a ~700 bhp racer to be a pedal to the metal all the time ride but it is the closest thing to it I have experienced in GT5. In terms of corners, the car gives you plenty of options, i.e. it will turn in more if you let off the throttle or apply brakes, or the rear can be brought into play if you are more brutal with the throttle. In fact it needs really little in terms of adapting your driving style to the car - it seems to be able to deal with anything thrown its way.

There also does not seem to be a dramatic difference between RS and RM tyres - sure, it's 2 secs a lap but in terms of behaviour, there is little in it - with RS tyres the car is perhaps a tick friendlier but it's nothing you would recognize in a 5 lap race (may prove a difference in a 24h endurance event, possibly).

So, apart from it being the practically perfect race car, and within an inch of it's older brother's lap times (I recorded practically no difference between the two, both on RS and RM tyres), what's the difference? In my eyes, it is manifest to 95% in the engine note, in terms of driving they are practically the same. The Z06 has a bassier exhaust and thereby appears a bit more laid back than the more buzzy ZR1. Switch the sound off, though, and you may be hard pressed to tell the difference :) If you are attempting the 4 hours of Nürburgring, either one of the two is practically the perfect way to learn the track, without killing yourself or the scenery in the process, and the two are the perfect tools to ensure you will win without breaking a sweat 👍

Continuing the somewhat higher powered theme, I tried the DTM Calibra '94 next. 1994 seems such a long time back, and while perhaps not quite as pretty as its Alfa 155 nemesis, the Calibra was one of the greats of the series (for some reason PD sadly omitted the iconic DTM Audi V8 from the game - a car that truly brought life to the series, while it was around).

But as I do not have the Alfa just yet, it had to be the Calibra :) And I take some comments from the previous post back - no, the race Corvette's are still super easy to drive but it seems that this is even more so. In terms of a tool for a beginner, there is probably little to beat the Calibra, as it simply refuses to kick its back out, and this then really is a full throttle car on practically all occassions.

Its greatest weakness, when compared to more modern machinery, is the puny engine. Sure, it revs to the stratosphere but it alo has no torque, so the car is more of a momentum drive - if you want good times brake as little as possible and try to tae as much speed through corners as you can. Not that these are hard to do - in some sectors of GVS I achieved better speeds than with the Corvettes, sadly the overall time cannot hide the 200bhp + disparity at comparable weights.

While I could not manage to unseat a Chapparal 2J, McLaren F1 GT-R or a race Ford GT when starting last in the seasonal, the mere fact that a car so much punier could match or even slightly surpass the laptimes of these machines is thoroughly impressive.

When competing against machinery on a more level footing, such as at the Nordschleiffe in the DTM A Spec race, the rest simply do not know which way the Calibra went (at least not when driven by the AI).

When compared to the Corvettes, this car will turn in equally nicely, hold equivalent, if not slightly higher corner speeds, tuck in the nose both when braking into a corner or when simply lifting, brake as steady as one can expect but it will not, no matter the provocation (short of putting a wheel on the grass), get the back out in the dry.

Give it a slightly torquier and stronger engine, and it could very well worry much more powerful machinery. As it is, it is a perfect beginner's car (even I managed to get to almost 2 seconds off your best lap time), a wonderful endurance racer, and if you still remember the DTM from the early 90s, something you will relish every time you drive (forget that, you will do it in any case) ;)

I have a tune request, do i just post it here?

i'm looking for a fast road tune for a Chrysler Crossfire for ~450PP, on comfort soft/sport hard tyres and without fitting a wing. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back