Japan GT Champ- Too many races!!

• Thread starter S!Lpheed
  • 16 comments
Was anyone else like me? You started the Japan GT championship and then kept racing, and racing, and racing, until you realize there's more then 6 races, then you race the seventh, the eighth, the NINTH, whereas the other GT championships have like 3 races right? This game is just a bit TOO japanese if you ask me, and if you don't, too bad I already said it. Why so many races in these and not the others? Anyway, I'm the points leader, I've been racing some of the day and all night, and realize..tenth race?!?! I have to SLEEP!!

The Oval race was a nice change of pace though, since I somehow qualified in first when I'm always last. I'm a NASCAR fan so that was a fun race, but everything else, I felt like a robot, so many laps too. I've decided, I hate the twin ring motegi road course, because it's so easy to slide off the narrow track at the end of a straightaway.

Erm... didn't you check the amount of races in the series before you started driving? It's pretty easy to do, just scroll right in the screen in which you selected to drive the entire series.

It's not about being Japanese, its about recreating a race series that lasts for the entire year in real life so the series was made to be long in the game too. One of the main points in this game is the variety, races and race series of different lengths are featured.

Oh, and you wouldn't have had to drive all the races in one sitting, you can back out after any race, go save your game and turn off the PS2. When you next begin playing it takes you to the point you quit in.

Just don't take the attitude that everything more demanding is bad, otherwise you'll be in a hell of a trouble when you find out that there are even longer race series (GTWC, FGT Championship) and eight-hour endurances. Even the Motegi is fun when you get to grips with it! 👍

- R -

If you think the game is directed towards Japanese cars, you are correct. Possibly, because many japanese people had a hand in making the game. If you think the game has japanese races that are too long. You are wrong. Please invest some time looking at other races such as a race in the european races called 1000 miles! Race that and tell me the Japan Championship was long. :scared:

(Also if you like NASCAR and circle tracks, GT4 is probably not the game for you. Although road course racing, and rally might grow on you!)👍

Oops again, I just finished the Japanese Events. I did the Classic European(before 70's), Japan Championship and Japan GT Championship in one day. I did realize however that you can save during a championship, but I only saved on the ninth race of GT. It's amazing what emotional drive can do to you.

eg6 I like F1 just as much as NASCAR and I don't really like one more than the other because they're different. I'm just now gripping endurance races like LeMans 24 hours and 24 hours of Spa.

If you think that's a long race series get yourself a copy of GT3 and go to the Professional race series. They've shortened quite a few of the series compared to GT3 and yet there are more than double the tracks and we have B-Spec to race for us as well.

i think the fact theres 3 24 hour races pretty much sums up ur not gna get to 100% to fast r u? lol and the Formula GT is 15 full length races.
at least u can turn ur ps2 off and come bak l8er with them tho

If you manage your B-Spec and race A-Spec at times I don't see how you couldn't crack off all of those 24 hour races in just 3 days. If you keep an eye on mister bob, and you compress the time to x3 for the first 12 hours, thats about 4 hours of watching the television. So, if you can get 12 hours game time done in just 4 hours real life time. You could do the whole race in a whole Day. And if you want to, you could start doing B-Spec at about 6pm, do the time compression for 4 hours and you have 12 hours left. Then you could go to sleep and wake up with the race nearly finished. And you could possibly finish it on your own driving? Theres so many things you can do. If you look at this game with the mindset of "so many races so many laps". What the heck is the point of buying it? Just my 2 cents.:scared:

i actualy drove the 24hour Sarthe I race in 1 sitting, i was very bored and i hav little better to do with my spare time lol

This game is just a bit TOO japanese if you ask me, and if you don't, too bad I already said it. Why so many races in these and not the others?
Yes, you said it, but the stats do not exactly support your opinion.
  • Of the 143 events in GT4, only 6 are in the Japanese Hall.
  • Of the 522 races in GT4, only 35 are part of the Japanese Hall events.
  • Of the ~22,000 miles of races in GT4, only 351 miles are from the Japanese Hall events.
As for tracks, of the 50 in GT4, only 12 are Japanese (only 5; Fuji Speedway, Suzuka Circuit, Tsukuba Circuit, Twin Ring Motegi, and Tokyo Route 246, if you want to ignore variable track configurations).

As for the cars in GT4, it seems too often, some people get caught up in the fact that a game from a Japanese game developer has so many Japanese cars. What they fail to realize however, is that they ALSO offer more non Japanese cars and more variety (car types, model years, and performance) than any other current GT copycat game.

Even if you were to completely ignore all the Japanese cars in GT4 you would still have cars from 12 different countries, from more than 60 different car companies, with nearly 300 different models to choose from. If you can, please list all the current GT copycat games that offer the same amount and variety of non Japanese cars than GT4.

If you want to see some other stats on how GT4 offers a great deal of choices for those who do not like Japanese cars, feel free to click HERE, and HERE.

Bottom line: While it is both true and expected that GT4 has a lot of Japanese cars, it is untrue that they do not offer a vast quantity & variety of non-Japanese cars. GT4 also offers many more non-Japanese tracks than those in Japan, and when it comes to races, the Japanese events account for a very small fraction of all the events, races, and miles driven in GT4.

• Of the ~22,000 miles of races in GT4, only 351 miles are from the Japanese Hall events.
As for tracks, of the 50 in GT4, only 12 are Japanese (only 5; Fuji Speedway, Suzuka Circuit, Tsukuba Circuit, Twin Ring Motegi, and Tokyo Route 246, if you want to ignore variable track configurations).

As for the cars in GT4, it seems too often, some people get caught up in the fact that a game from a Japanese game developer has so many Japanese cars. What they fail to realize however, is that they ALSO offer more non Japanese cars and more variety (car types, model years, and performance) than any other current GT copycat game.

Even if you were to completely ignore all the Japanese cars in GT4 you would still have cars from 12 different countries, from more than 60 different car companies, with nearly 300 different models to choose from. If you can, please list all the current GT copycat games that offer the same amount and variety of non Japanese cars than GT4.

If you want to see some other stats on how GT4 offers a great deal of choices for those who do not like Japanese cars, feel free to click HERE, and HERE.

Bottom line: While it is both true and expected that GT4 has a lot of Japanese cars, it is untrue that they do not offer a vast quantity & variety of non-Japanese cars. GT4 also offers many more non-Japanese tracks than those in Japan, and when it comes to races, the Japanese events account for a very small fraction of all the events, races, and miles driven in GT4.

Very great post, I agree. People just are ignorant to realize the facts sometimes. Jumping to conclusions is what makes people look ignorant.

There are 49 manufacturers' series. Of these,
  • 20 are Japanese
  • 10 are German
  • 7 are UK
  • 5 are French
  • 5 are USA
  • 1 is Italian
  • 1 is Korean
Out of all the halls, there are a total of 26 race series where a Japanese car is required.
There are 13 series where a German car is required.
There are 9 series where a USA car is required.
There are 9 series where a UK car is required.
There are 9 series where a French(6), Italian(2) or Korean(1) car is required.

This count of 12 tracks could conceiveably be extended to 19, counting Tsukuba and Tsukuba Wet as different tracks, and also counting SSR5 and Clubman as Japanese tracks. However I'll suggest 13 as the number of Japanese tracks, this being 12 of the 13 in World Circuits and Tokyo R246. I'm leaving out Suzuka West because you can race only a Family Cup race there, and I'm considering Tokyo R246 in either direction as a single track for the sake of the discussion. Incidentally I would have a very difficult time considering Twin Ring Motegi Super Speedway and Twin Ring Motegi Road Course as being variations of the same track. So we have far more Japanese tracks than we do of any other nationality.

It gets worse. Here's a breakdown of how often each track is represented, counting those used ten times or more:
  • 33 Tsukuba Circuit (not counting Tsukuba Wet)
  • 23 Suzuka Circuit
  • 22 Mazda Laguna Seca
  • 19 Fuji Speedway 90's
  • 16 Infineon Sports Car Course
  • 15 El Capitan
  • 15 Nürburging Nordschleife
  • 15 Opera Paris
  • 13 Suzuka Circuit East
  • 12 Twin Ring Motegi Road Course
  • 11 Twin Ring Motegi East
  • 11 Tokyo R246
  • 11 Côte d'Azur
8 of 13 are Japanese. Rather topheavy with Japanese tracks, I'd say.

Even if you were to completely ignore all the Japanese cars in GT4 you would still have cars from 12 different countries, from more than 60 different car companies, with nearly 300 different models to choose from.
"Nearly 300" out of somewhere around 730 still means that almost 60% of the cars in the game are Japanese.

Agreed, GT4 offers far far more non-Japanese cars than any other game. I'm not arguing that. I'm agreeing with the assertion that Japan is over-represented in the game, even given that the developers and Sony are all Japanese.
I believe I have shown that the stats do in fact support it.

Out of all the halls, there are a total of 26 race series where a Japanese car is required.
I believe you mean individual races, and not race series (aka events).

There are 94 events (317 races) among all the Halls, and of all of those, I am aware of ONLY 6 events (26 races) that require a Japanese car:
  1. Japan Championship (5 races)
  2. Japanese 70's Classics (5 races)
  3. Japanese 80's Festival (5 races)
  4. Japanese 90's Challenge (5 races)
  5. Japanese Compact Cup (5 races)
  6. Roadster 4h Endurance (1 endurance race)
6 events out of 94, and 26 races out of 317 is less than 10% of all those events and races.

In terms of actual mileage driven, the percentages drop even further!

That's hardly what I would call a significant Japanese bias.

BTW: Interestingly enough, the OP started this with a complaint about how many races are in the All Japan GT Championship, and used that as a catalyst for yet another “GT4 is waaaay too Japanese” rant… He may not have realized it, but the All Japan GT Championship doesn't even require that you use a Japanese car! :)

Yes there are more Japanese manufacturer races than from other countries, as expected considering how many more Japanese cars there are, but even they represent a very small fraction of all the races in the game. In fact those 10 events account for only 330 miles of racing... less than 2% of all the miles driven in races in the game.

So even when you include all the events that require a Japanese car, it still represents a very small part of GT4:

Out of all 143 events, 522 races, and about 22,000 miles of racing in GT4, only 26 events, 118 races, and 892 miles does the game require you to use a Japanese car.

There are some problems with your “breakdown of represented tracks", but more importantly, if you compare the actual mileage driven on all tracks for all events, those raced on Japanese tracks represent a small fraction of actual playing time… but then again, we are just talking about tracks after all.

"Nearly 300" out of somewhere around 730 still means that almost 60% of the cars in the game are Japanese.
So what? They could have a million Japanese cars, the fact remains that they offer a vast collection and wide variety of non-Japanese cars, tracks, events, races, and actual race mileage, more so than any other current GT copycat game.

Agreed, GT4 offers far far more non-Japanese cars than any other game. I'm not arguing that.
Well that's a start at least. ;)

I'm agreeing with the assertion that Japan is over-represented in the game, even given that the developers and Sony are all Japanese.
If by over represented you mean cars, then I agree whole heartedly. In terms of racing, then I cannot, unless the assumption is that by representing less than 5% of the game playing requiring Japanese cars is now considered "over-representation".... of course, judging by some peoples ranting over how they believe GT4 is "too" Japanese, maybe for them, 5% is too much and will only be happy with a game that requires the use of a Japanese car less than 1% of the time. :rolleyes:

I believe I have shown that the stats do in fact support it.
For which we will have to agree to disagree.

I will say though, it is somewhat disturbing that anyone (not anyone here specifically) would be so offended by having so many Japanese cars and tracks in the game. After all, its not like they are going to give you cooties. In the end, why does it even matter what country they are from or located in?

While the majority of cars that I have the most appreciation for are generally pre-1970 classic GT cars and sports cars, and from that group, there are not many Japanese cars that thrill me. Among the hordes of modern cars, I am mostly drawn towards those from the marquee German automakers, especially Porsche, BMW, and Audi... however, I try to be nationally agnostic in my appreciation for cars.

For me though, a great car is simply that... a great car. And a lousy car is simply that... a lousy car. Where it was made, or even who made it does not change that fact.

Despite my lack of divine interest in most Japanese cars, I can still appreciate what they offer, and frankly I’m glad they are in GT4 as they simply add far more diversity to the game then if most of them were not there… like so many other GT games.

Everytime I hear a rant like this, I wonder if these people just got on the GT bandwagon now.

I've been on GT even before the first GT came out. My friend told me about a new racing game that offered over 100 cars, realistic physics, and tuning of your cars. I knew I had to get it, as soon as it was released.

Back then, it was mostly Japanese cars. Looking at the list of cars in GT4, the effort Polyphony Digital makes to include more international variety of cars are obvious.

As Digital-Nitrate pointed out, P.D. have already included plenty of Non-Japanese cars in the game already. But some people don't care about that. You can put one million American, European, Australian cars in GT(figure of speech ;)) including the Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, etc., and as long as this Japanese game made by Japanese car enthusiast has more Japanese cars than the rest, there will always be someone who will complain.

And, No. We don't want different cars for different regions(In a way, already done). That means less cars for everybody, except Famine. He gets his hands on all of them.

Well said a6m5. 👍

One more example to consider in regards to any perceived over-representation of Japanese cars and events in GT4:

Of the 143 events, 33 are Championship events.
Of those 33 events, only 6 require the use of a Japanese car.
Of those 6 events, they account for only 187 miles of racing.

[THREAD PLUG]
On that note, be sure to vote for your favorite championship events:
[/THREAD PLUG]

It's to be expected that a game by a Japanese publisher and Japanese developers would have more Japanese stuff in it. My opinion is that they overdid it. And I'll concede they've come a ways since GT1 which had a much higher percentage of Japanese cars in it.
Digital-Nitrate
BTW: Interestingly enough, the OP started this with a complaint about how many races are in the All Japan GT Championship, and used that as a catalyst for yet another “GT4 is waaaay too Japanese” rant… He may not have realized it, but the All Japan GT Championship doesn't even require that you use a Japanese car! :)
Yeah, I saw the irony in that as well.
BobK
I should have phrased that as "Out of 143 events, there are a total of 26 race series where a Japanese car is required."
My contention is that Japan is overrepresented relative to any other nationality. For instance there are 26 total events requiring a Japanese car. This is twice as many as any other single nationality (Germany at 13). And 13 Japanese tracks is far more tracks than any other nationality (US at 5 or 8, depending on whether or not you count rally tracks).

My issue with this. Go to the used car lot, do you see a firebird? a 5.0 mustang or 4.6 liter for that matter? do you see any of the good DSM's?(talon/eclipse awd turbo) do you see any of the cars you would any given night at an american dragstrip? or what a good portion of the general populace drives fast in america?

i can't say what's missing for other countries, and i don't care about where the races are a tracks a track japanese or german or american. all that bugs me, and it really is a minor issue, is that this game is missing some of the most popular cars that people DO drive in America, and alot of cars people WANT to drive world wide.

I'm sure there are assorted reasons for this(copy right issues for sure) but i blame the people that PD called in america to ask"hey what cars should we put in the game from your country?" for gods sake we have volvo station wagons and fords crappiest year of the SHO, but no older mustangs or camaro's? We have 13 versions of the rx 7 of which only 3 or 4 or worthwhile, but we don't have a pantera? What about some of these high performance cadillacs with the ls series engine? They missed the heart and soul of american sports cars. most of europe too.

this is one sided but it's my .2 cents, i feel for the other countries but i don't know whats missing from there so i can't really speak for them.
facts and figures aside, anyone from america knows that PD missed alot of cars that could have made the game more interesting.

Back