Super-Cool Since 2013
Premium
United States
GR-MI-USA
YSSMAN
YSSMAN
They're here!

Autoblog
Finally got official shots from Toyota of the 2009 Corolla added to the gallery. While we're waiting for live shots of the car to arrive, we'll tell you a little bit about Toyota's new small car. The 2009 Corolla will come in five trims: Standard, LE, XLE, the "sporty" S and even "sportier" XRS. The car is about the same size as the last model, but the A- and C-pillars have been pushed out to give the greenhouse a more rakish look. Meanwhile, S and XRS models get a body kit that includes a chin spoiler, fog lamps, rocker moldings, spoilers and even an underbody engine cover to improve airflow beneath the car. Engines include the base 1.8L four-cylinder with dual-VVT-i producing 132 HP and 162 ft-lbs. of twist. The XRS alone gets a 2.4L producing 154 HP and 162 ft-lbs. of torque. Cars like the Honda Civic Si sedan shouldn't worry. S models also get 16-inch wheels that are unfortunately capped with wheel covers, while the XRS sports 17-inchers that are pure alloy.

There's no word on pricing yet, but the 2009 Toyota Corolla will be available in dealerships this February. Check out Toyota's full press release after the jump for more details.

aaaaand....

Autoblog
Along with the new 2009 Corolla, Toyota unveiled its closest sibling, the 2009 Corolla Matrix at the 2007 SEMA Show in Las Vegas. Think of it as a Matrix wagon, though Toyota would like you to believe it's inspired by crossovers and SUVs yet has the "soul of a two-door sports car. Sports cars, however, usually come with larger motors than what the Matrix is packing. The five-door hatch can be had with either a 1.8L four-cylinder producing 132 HP or a 2.4L four generating 158 HP, both of which are shared with the Corolla sedan. Trim levels for the Matrix are trimmed down to just the Standard, S and XRS. Both engines are available with any trim level, and are paired with either a five-speed manual or four-speed auto with the 1.8L engine and five-speed auto with the 2.4L engine. The Standard model rolls on 16-inch steel wheels with a six-spoke wheel cover, while the S model gets 17-inch five-spoke aluminum wheels and the XRS wears 18-inch twin five-spoke rims.

The Corolla?

I wish there was a way to verbalize the "disappointment" sound from The Price is Right, its pretty boring and just doesn't seem all that cool. Yes, the XRS model looks decent, but with only 154 BHP? Really? I mean, I can go next door at Chevy and get a Cobalt Sport with the same displacement and an extra 20 BHP, probably for less too...

The Matrix?

Dare I say it? It actually looks cool! Fun to drive? We'll have to see if the Pontiac "excitement" got baked in since it shares its stuff with the Matrix. Tough choice between those two this time around...

The interior on that Corolla looks pretty good to me; other than that, everything looks pretty standard ugly.

Some alright improvements, but not really enough of a change. I would definitely have expected something a little more than this. So close to being just a facelift.

I think just on the mechanical level we see the greatest disappointment. I would have expected Toyota to do much, much better.

Astra + Rabbit FTW!

Are people supposed to be able to see out the side windows of the Matrix?

Also, the lower grilles of the Matrix look awful, compared to the attractive ones on the Corolla.

EDIT: Maybe this is the problem: The Matrix is lacking the new corporate grille design. WTH?

XRS needs a -GE engine. that's it. when will that 2.4 get a Yamaha-headed variant?

(Actually, call it the "Levin" if you get a -GE.)

I suppose you could strap the Scion tC's Supercharger to it....

Otherwise, it looke more evolution than revolution on the Corolla side. Matrix looks good, but, again, that damn tC motor...

It looks like the Corolla's base engine got a nice boost in torque though, 162 ft-lbs. versus the current 122.

And here I was thinking that Toyota didn't have it in them to make their cars any uglier. Toyota has paid dearly for their "world's #1" spot. At least Honda's soul is still golden. And the stupid car hating liberals will gobble these and the new Tundra up..

So if the matrix was painted pink would it be the superPitz?

Speaking of the Tundra...the more and more I see it in person up-close and personal the more I find it hideous. I think the Dodge Ram looks better on the outside...and I hate the Ram.

Oh, and I'm not liking this new interior trend with the shifter basically attached to the dash as seen on these cars as well as the new Sentra.

I think its pretty clear to me that Mazda has evoloved to be my personal choice for best Japanese small car. Followed by Honda...wait did I just say that outloud?

-> Hmm, all that delay of releasing the Corolla for this? It didn't look to different compared to this:

Toyota_Corolla_Helsinki.jpg

2-2007-toyota-corolla-early.jpg

^ And it took Toyota USA a year and a half to release it, and its still bland! :indiff:

-> And what gives about the Matrix? It looks like my wagon from the behind! And those rear quarter windows looks useless. :indiff:

Oh my word......

Those are hideous. Both of them.

I can't wait until the sheep that buy these get the first door ding in their completely slab sided car and realise that Toyota may possibly fail at life.
Which they do. Yet somehow they still sell these things.

Well, that was… expected. Take the styling cues of the current Camry, morph them a bit to fit the Corolla, and there you go. Then grab the A-pillar and pull it straight up a couple feet, and you have a Matrix.

Boring, predictable, a bit ugly, and starting to look a lot like the Koreans.

Well... I didn't see word on any of the really important changes (if they are there).
Three things matter to me in seeing this new generation.
1) The suspension.
2) The Brakes
3) The Weight

I drive a Corolla S '06, know it better than most who would pretend to know the Corolla. :sly:
It's a good day to day driver but lacks the sporting feel of cars with bigger wheels, smaller tires, and independent rear suspensions.
However, the Chassis is good and the weight with an automatic transmission is only 2615lbs./1188kg with a full tank of gas (weighed it myself). The engine produces torque well (helped by the 4speed transmission). The steering is very predictable. Also, despite gossip to the contrary, Toyotas are very reliable (180,000 miles of toyota testing here aka fanboy :P ).
The problems are the rear suspension, driver's seat, and the wheel-tire combo (brakes deserve an upgrade also).

Now the question becomes, what have they done with those "problem" areas?
I'll have to sit in one to test the seat for myself. :D However, the rest... Brakes, suspension, wheels and tires will come out on spec sheets eventually. 👍

Until I get word on the any possible changes I'm going to hold out on prejudicing my opinion on the new Corolla. None the less, I still expect it to be a great economy car (just like my Corolla).

Btw, I hope they've been smart enough to install a good LSD with 160+ ft.lb running through the front wheels (my 125ft.lbs. already overwhelms the stock econo tires easily). :ouch:

People think the new Corolla looks ugly and boring! I am shocked! Not!

I don't know about you guys(maybe I do?), but the most important details of Corolla for me would be: 1) Reliability 2)Fuel Economy 3)Price

I don't mean any offense to Kent or anybody else who owns a Corolla, but if you are judging Corolla by it's exterior design, I think you are missing the point of this car, completely.

Personally, I don't care for the looks of new Corolla. At least not by how they look in those pics. Just like how the new Sentra looks like the stubbier Altima, this one looks kinda like Camry. If I'm going to buy this car, it would be for the three items I mentioned. Some might find the current gen Corolla boring, but you gotta admit, it has pretty clean looking design. I'm going to miss it.

Matrix, it looks just a little bit more attractive, but that's about it for me. The dash is nice.

P.S. 162 ft-lbs for the 1.8 liter engine? That's gotta be a typo, right?

Didn't Toyota changed the name to Auris in America as well?

Anyway, I think the new Auris looks awesome, and it shows in sale figures as well but these are not pretty at all...The Rolla is just plain boring and ugly, the Matrix on the other hand, looks rather good but it's got too much from the new Impreza/Suzuki cars...

-> If someone said that I judged the Corolla/Matrix based on exterior looks is a complete lie. That is only my first impression based on the pics, as I have to see the car in person in SEMA (yes, I have access to the show and I live here in Vegas). But thats only 30% of my overall evaluation of the vehicle, the rest would be driving it. ;)

-> Based on my history of driving Corolla's (since 1993) except the AE86, every gen is basically the same somewhat. Numb, isolated, quiet, and boring. I hope this gen will change that (I still highly doubt it) especially that super-awkward driving position of the 2006 Corolla/Matrix/Vibe that made me shout WTF (and I'm 6'3, I cried for mercy driving it)! And needs more driving feel, the only thing that is more numb than a Corolla is the Saturn ION.

:indiff:

Toyota are such great artists - they've managed to take the word 'dull' and realise it in a metal and plastic sculpture.

Toyota for the Turner Prize.

Toyota didn't change the name to Auris because in North America, the Corolla name = big sales.

I knew I wouldn't like the new Corolla's looks, based on the fact my girlfriend described them rolling down the assembly line as "little Camries". The Camry's lines already don't really work for it, shrunken down and squished they'd end up even worse. That 1.8l torque figure has to be a typo, too. That being said; what's wrong with the engine sizes? I'm going to assume the car is still appreciably lighter than most others in the class, and buying an econo-box based on sportiness seems stupid to me. I'd rather have good gas mileage.

Then again, I want my Matrix sportier ;). I'm kinda liking it, but I've always been a fan of the current one. I wonder if they've ditched the four-wheel drive model? I really hope they kept it, but that it's actually available with the bigger engine. 2.4 + 4WD + TRD supercharger? That'd actually be fun. Strange that they aren't using the new corporate face. I think overall though, I'd probably still rather have a Mazda 3, especially if a new model is due in a year looking more like the gorgeous new 6.

Toyota needs to step back and stop going down the path of ugly.

TOYOTA NEEDS RETRO TREATMENT.

Yep. Its cool looking too.
2006064539142588012_rs.jpg

But I actually like the new Matrix, the only Toyota except the Avalon, that I like.

Well, I like how they look. And the engine options are nice.

People are indeed griping about the 2.4L, and I tend to agree they need a bit more power in there... possibly the supercharger kit for that engine will be offered somehow.

And now I retreat before I get attacked for being blind/old/brain washed or something else along those lines :dopey:

You shouldn't HAVE to buy an aftermarket blower. I don't care if it's covered in the warranty, the engine should make that much power on it's own. I could see dealers putting kits on cars as soon as they arrive, much like they did in the musclecar era with some models. The Mustang "California Special" comes to mind. (Actually, that's an unfair comparison, as those cars were Tape-And-Stripe packages.)

and, even then, the engine's nowhere near as dynamic feeling as that Honda 2.0 in the Si. That's why Toyota needs to invest in -GE heads for this engine. It's in so many "performance" models, but doesn't deliver.

There's nothing wrong with the 2.4 as a commuter or mid-level engine, but calling it a "Fast" engine and putting it in "Performance" models isn't right. There's something missing at the top.

And, In my opinion, it's a wide-angle, Dual Over-Head Cam Head.

Back