Aug 27-29 - United States, Indianapolis
Sep 03-05 - San Marino, Misano
Sep 17-19 - Aragon Motorland Aragon
Oct 01-03 - Japan, Motegi
Oct 08-10 - Malaysia, Sepang
Oct 15-17 - Australia, Phillip Island
Oct 29-31 - Portugal, Estoril
Nov 05-07 - Spain, Valencia​

The next race at Valencia, Spainon Sunday 7th November at 2pm race local time (Click here for your own local time).

Riders & Teams

Calender & Circuits

Results & Statistics

MotoGP rd 17, Estoril: Leading final positions after Moto GP Race:

14n02zr.jpg

15d5pau.png

Moto GP World Championship Standings:

21oqae0.png

In the UK the BBC will be showing the MotoGP races live with everything else through the red button. As always I'll be watching it on Eurosport even if it is delayed by an hour or two.

I’ll keep the first post updated with the latest race results and current championship standings as soon as I can after I’ve watched the race. I’ve subscribed to this thread so if you have any requests let me know

MCN 2010 MotoGP Season Preview

Last edited:
The more I think about it, I can't help but believe that this season will be very interesting given the introduction of Moto2(the next biggest transition since the switch to 800cc 4 strokes) and the fact Rossi competiton just bumped up a notching now that Spies in the title hunt.

Speaking of,for those looking for US broadcasting times&channels I suggest you consult this site:

TV Racer

Some footage taken at the past Sepang testing. Nice to hear the how the new bikes are sounding.

Ducati, sounds deeper, throatier now with the big-bang firing order of new engine. Similar to the yamaha actually.

As a comparison, the last year's gp9 sounded like this:

Yamaha

Suzuki

Honda

Enjoy.:)

Last edited:
Thanks Red7 👍

Good to hear they're sounding so good this year, I'm pretty tempted to go to the MotoGP this year but wish it was still at Donington, Silverstone is quite a bit further for me and not sure my 2 year old would appreciate it!

Hopefully the new Ducati engine will mean better results for Hayden and Kallio this year.

Rossi and Stoner are joining forces but only to try and bring the time of the Qatar race forward to an earlier time. The nighttime races look amazing under the floodlights but the unpredictable temperatures at night in the desert are causing problems for tyre choice and led to a few riders crashing at the recent test. Also last years race at Qatar was postponed for a day due to rain as the riders couldn’t see through their visors with the floodlights shining on them.

I’ll keep track of this and update the first post if the race time changes.

Less than 2 weeks to go to the start of the MotoGP season, bring it on :D

Source: http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/29/rossi-and-stoner-agree-on-one-thing-champs-call-for-earlier-sta/

Rossi and Stoner agree on one thing: Champs call for earlier start in Qatar

Losail-International-Circuit-Doha-Qatar-560x372.jpg

Few duos in history have offered up more raw two-wheeled entertainment than that of Casey Stoner and Valentino Rossi. Up to this point we are only sure that they ever agreed on one topic, that is, who should pass the chickened flag first. Each man would resoundingly agree that they, individually, deserve that honour.

Believe it or not, the battling duo has come together, united in purpose, to lobby for an earlier start at the Losail International Circuit's "night race." The event, held in Doha, Qatar, will mark the official kick-off of the 2010 Moto GP schedule. Traditionally, the Losail event barely squeezes into it's scheduled date, with a start time of 11pm. Is this just because track management is so proud of those awesome lights? Dorna, which promotes Moto GP events, has several good reasons to host the race at its scheduled time. First, daytime temperatures in Qatar can be so brutal that they would make T.E. Lawrence blush, and second, the time slot allows the race to be broadcast live during prime viewing hours in Europe and acceptable hours in the U.S.

The argument from the riders is that the primetime slot is just too late. At this time of night, temperatures in the desert begin to take drastic swings, adding complexity to tire choice as grip rapidly changes along with those temperatures. Are there valid concerns here? It would seem so – amidst a recent test session at Losail, not one but three premier riders hit the tarmac later in the evening, all within moments of one another. If any one, or in this case two, people had a chance to change the GP schedule, we would put our money on the Rossi-Stoner alliance. But this close to the race, it remains to be seen if their collectively high-pitched voices will make it to any listening ears. Either way, if you missed the point, did we mention Moto GP is starting again? What was it they were worried about?

its going to be one hell of a seson again!! Moto GP has really stepped up the last few years.

Now given that the tech 3 yamahas look strong enough to battle the factory hondas and hayden it could be really tough to pick the order in which the top 5 -6 will finish!

One week to go! :D

Below is a fairly decent article to get us in the mood for next Sunday, enjoy.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/motorbikes/8600360.stm

With the first race of the new MotoGP season a week away, it is already hard to see past another battle between Valentino Rossi and Casey Stoner for the title.

Certainly, that is the way it looked in pre-season testing, the first five days of which Yamaha rider Rossi dominated until Stoner stole his thunder on the final day in Qatar.

Rules changes have restricted testing to just six days, and that means those who got their homework right are more than one step ahead.

With Rossi's team-mate Jorge Lorenzo sure to need some time to fully recover from a hand injury and Dani Pedrosa in desperate trouble on the new factory Honda, old rivals Rossi and Stoner look like they will take some catching.

Lorenzo missed the second test in Malaysia in February after breaking a bone in his hand in a motocross training accident, adding to a catalogue of surgical interventions to the MotoGP grid during the winter.

The Spaniard was the first to go under the surgeon's knife at last season's end, with doctors removing a plate that had been fixed to his left collarbone since 2005 just two weeks after the final race at Valencia.

At the same time LCR Honda's Randy de Puniet had an operation to remove screws from his left ankle, which he had broken in the summer, while two days before Christmas Pedrosa had a screw removed from his hand.

Pramac Ducati's Aleix Espargaro had what is a routine operation for MotoGP riders to relieve compartmental syndrome (arm pump) in his left forearm, as did Ducati's Nicky Hayden, who then needed a clean-up procedure to remove scar tissue in February, between the two Sepang tests.
San Carlo Honda's Marco Simoncelli has avoided the surgeon's knife but he did require CAT scans in a Kuala Lumpur hospital following the worst of a series of confidence-sapping crashes in Malaysia - exactly the kind that knocked the stuffing out of James Toseland at the same time last year and effectively ruined his season.

Perhaps more of a danger to the MotoGP field than their own maladies, however, is a clean bill of health for Stoner, who has enjoyed a full pre-season without a visit to the doctors for the first time since winning the title in 2007.

Stoner spent last pre-season recovering from major wrist surgery and the winter before that struggling with an old shoulder problem that had previously affected preparations for his rookie campaign back in 2006.

Furthermore, the Australian is benefiting from the revitalised well-being of the Ducati Desmosedici GP10, which features a new 'big-bang' engine configuration and higher seat position amongst the most significant updates to the GP9.

The changes make the notoriously wild Italian stallion easier to handle, particularly in corner exit, and give it more pitch under braking and acceleration, giving the riders better feel for the tyres.
Hayden has benefited hugely from the modifications, ending third and fourth fastest respectively in the two tests at Sepang, Malaysia and Losail, Qatar, respectively, making him a contender for early podiums.

Changes to the Yamaha YZR-M1 factory machines of Rossi and Lorenzo have been of a more subtle nature, with testing focused mainly around finding the right electronic mapping for the new long-life engines. The overall performance of what was already the best bike on the grid has been evident in the preseason form of satellite pair Colin Edwards and standout rookie Ben Spies.

For my money Spies, whose ability to surprise is becoming less of a shock with every test, joins Hayden as an outside shot for a top-three finish in the opening race. With Lorenzo short of 100% fitness and preparation, the Americans are ideally placed to capitalize - especially with Honda in such dire trouble.

Andrea Dovizioso papered over the cracks with a quick late lap in Qatar to finish third but his pace throughout preseason has been inconsistent, whilst team-mate Dani Pedrosa has been consistently slow.

The HRC pair were told before the Brno race last August that they would be switching from Showa suspension to Öhlins for 2010 and whilst Dovizioso opted to do so immediately, Pedrosa stuck with the Spanish brand that he has used throughout his career until the end of the season.

So, while the Italian has finally begun to make progress with the opening race on the horizon the Spaniard is still going around in circles trying to find the right chassis stiffness for the new forks.

Pedrosa was a massive 1.5 seconds off the pace in Qatar, although he is not the only Honda rider with problems - the returning Marco Melandri and rookie pair Hiro Aoyama and Marco Simoncelli were three of just four riders slower than him at that final test.

Even a return to his traditional number 26 has failed to rescue Pedrosa, who has used two and three without much luck in recent seasons.

There are some other interesting numbers to look out for amongst the rookies this season, with Spies settling for 11 after missing out on his preferred 19 to Alvaro Bautista and Hector Barbera taking 40 in a shrewd sponsorship deal with Spanish pop chart radio station 'Los 40 Principales'.

Down one, fellow Spaniard Esparagaro is at 41 - cleverly incorporating the number to make the AL at the beginning of Aleix on his name graphics and logos.

Espargaro is not the only forward thinker in the Pramac Ducati garage, which will be splashed in garish green paint this season in an attempt to raise environmental awareness. The team plans to use solar panels and wind turbines to power their hospitality units and trucks, although they chose an ironic venue to launch the initiative.

The 3,600 light fixtures that illuminate the Losail circuit require 5.4m watts of power - enough, the owners proudly claim, to light a street from Doha to Moscow. And who provides the generators? You guessed it… Pramac.

Green is not the only new colour to be appearing on a Ducati this season, with Team Aspar stepping up to MotoGP with backing from Spanish telephone directory 'Paginas Amarillas' (Yellow Pages), meaning the combative rookie Hector Barberá will be very much the yellow peril of the premier-class.
However, with three wins from the last three visits to Qatar, it is likely to be the more traditional red Desmosedici of Casey Stoner that steals the limelight on 11 April.

MOTO2

British teenager Scott Redding established his credentials as a contender for the inaugural Moto2 World Championship in the final preseason test, which ended at Jerez on Monday.

Moto2, which features prototype motorcycles with identical Honda-powered 600cc engines, replaces the 250cc series as the feeder class to MotoGP this season.

Redding, 17, finished fourth overall after three days at the Spanish circuit, clocking a best time of one minute 44.394 seconds, 0.3secs behind Italian pacesetter Claudio Corti and marginally outside the 250cc lap record.

Redding, who became the youngest rider to win a Grand Prix with victory in the 125cc race at Donington Park in 2008, moved up from the minor category at the end of last season but has struggled to adapt to the bigger four-stroke machine over the winter.

However, he made a significant breakthrough during a private two-day session at Jerez last week and continued to improve throughout the final session, clocking up 170 laps and consistently running inside the top five on the timesheet.

"It has all come together during the last two tests here in Jerez and I'm glad to say we're now well and truly on the pace," said Redding.

"We've made some big steps forward with the set-up of the bike but the biggest improvement has come from me changing my riding style - I was trying to ride the bike like a 125cc machine, when it requires a very different style to get the best from it.

"Having been in the top five on the timesheet throughout these three days, we head for the first race in Qatar (on April 11th) knowing that we're on the pace, but I'm determined not to be over confident.
"We'll be aiming for a top-10 finish but, if I'm honest, I think top five could be a possibility if everything comes together for us. I just can't wait to get there and get the season started now!"

I cant wait for the season to start, Looking forward to some great MotoGP and Moto2 battles. Hopefully Scott Redding will be up there challenging all year, im actually 3 or 4 years younger than Scott and met him a couple of times, Quality lad, deserves more success! Gonna be a good year i thinks!

Race is on this weekend!!, whos gonna win? podium places?

My biggest question is ben Spies.. How good will he go?

Im betting money he will beat a few factory riders, Hayden? the hondas? an injured lorenzo??. Should be a great race!

My biggest question is ben Spies.. How good will he go?

Good question. He's got tremendous talent but he might need some time to adjust to racing a gp bike. They go fast differently than the world superbikes do and their tires operate a bit differently.

I'm expecting a straight fight between Stoner and Rossi at Losail.

Looks like the race is still on at 23.00 local time (21.00 UK time) so Rossi and Stoner's attempt to bring the start time forward didn't work!

I think it's going to be Rossi and Stoner in the leading pack but it's hard to say who'll be with them.

Pedrosa could do well as he is unusually injury free at the start to the season but the factory Honda wasn't doing too well in testing so may not be on the pace yet. I would be surprised if Ben Spies didn't have a good start but may not be able to keep up at the end of the race when the top guys pull the pin. I'm hoping the new big bang Ducati engine will let Hayden stay with the front runners as it appears easier to ride by normal riders (i.e not Stoner)! As always I'll be hoping The Texas Tornado does well, it's about time he got some consistant good results

Apparently Bridgestone are taking medium and extra hard compounds to Qatar to cope with the unusal conditions, article below.

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2010/bridgestone+preview+qatar

Should be an interesting season though I'm a bit worried about the 250cc e.g. Aoyoma. If you were to ask me I though he should've gone Moto2 then the motogp class in 2011.

And yes, I'm eyes would be clearly on Spies.

Anyone else pick up a video pass from motogp.com? I got a weekend pass and so far I'm actually impressed. Costs about 10 euros but your getting well over an hour of material on each gp going back to 1992 as well as 2010 preseason testing and every practice/qualy session and race live this weekend. I sort of missed out on the whole two-stroke era, so the first thing I did was jump to the 2000 season.:dopey:

I haven't but it sounds pretty good value for money. I've got a pretty busy weekend so I'll probably just watch the MotoGP qualifying and race on Eurosport UK although they do have today's practice sessions and tomorrow's qualifying live for all classes. The only downside is the race isn't live on Sunday as it's about an hour behind but I'd rather watch it with their commentary than the BBC's awful drivel.

I used to follow WSB and BSB more than MotoGP in the Foggy/Bayliss/Edwards days but the 2-stroke era was awesome. Mick Doohan was a legend so be sure to check out footage of him.

I can't wait for the race on Sunday, it feels like ages since I've seen any decent racing.

:D

Can't wait to see the new season of MotoGP! If I had to pick a winner for the MotoGP race at Qatar this weekend, It would be safe going with Rossi, Stoner, or somebody like that. How about you?

:drool:Video pass is like content overload. I've been watching live practice sessions for about 3 hours now.:crazy::lol:

I’m going to stick my neck on the line and go with Rossi for the win on Sunday. Stoner is looking really fast but if he doesn’t pull away at the start of the race it’ll be hard for him to keep Rossi at bay. Lorenzo is looking quick too but is carrying a hand injury so isn’t 100% fit for the race and may not be able to keep up the pace for the duration.

All the coverage in the UK is on Eurosport and the BBC has everything throught the “red button”. Not sure about in the US for TV but you can get everything through the MotGP website below.

Free MotoGP Class of 2010Video

MotoGP VideoPass Subscription Page

Matt Roberts' MotoGP column

Last edited:
Last couple of weeks has been jammed packed with bikes. We had British Superbikes on Easter Monday, Moto gp & World Superbikes this Sunday then British Superbikes the following Sunday at Thurxton! :)

BTW here is the timing sheet for Fridays free practice.

mr7nf6.jpg

I must admit with the sun shining like it is today I'm gutted I haven't still got my motorbike but I've just been for a ride on my mountain bike so it's not all bad. :)

Stoner on pole as expected....

Still my hopes go out for a Rossi win,his race pace is probably just as fast as Stoners...maybe(hopefully)even faster...but the Ducatti seems to have enormous topspeed(10km/h faster than the Yamaha's)so if Stoner can stay in front,and doesn't make any mistakes he will be very hard to overtake...

But i have seen Rossi do the impossible in the past many times soooo.....we'll see tomorrow!!!

spy.

Ducati's love Losail and I know this isn't much of a prediction but I expect Stoner to win his 4th straight at Losail.

MotoGP Losail

2007 Stoner
2008 Stoner
2009 Stoner
2010 ?

Last edited:
Stoner seems to be able to make all his ground in T3, about .3, which is huge.
Rossi just needs to stay with him and hassle him till they get there on every lap to have a chance. That said, the start is all important and the Ducati's enormous top end.
It does seems that Stoner has an affinity with this track though, that's some record.

Wow... great pace set by Texas' own Ben Spies. I think Ben Spies WILL be a MotoGP World Champion eventually. Losail is a pretty tough course. I remember turning laps in "MotoGP 4" around Losail (WAY before the night racing setting). It's a pretty long course with some tough corners. You've got to have a great bike setup to properly tackle Losail.

Good luck to all teams and riders this season. Put on a great show, boys!

It's getting exciting :D

I thought Rossi was going to get pole on his last lap but Stoner is mega quick in the last 2 sectors. It's too close to call between them to predict a winner but the good thing is we should be in for a great race. Bring it on :gtpflag:

Great race.Rossi fantastic,Stoner big FAIL!!!!

Unreal topspeed from the Honda.

Lowest topspeed from Rossi!!!...

Strong performance from Hayden and Spies!!

spy.

Was impressed with Spies and Hayden. Clearly there were fuel concerns thats why the Honda was pulling away from the Ducati. Early on in the race the Ducati of Stoner's was able to pull away on the straight so easily. Makes me wonder if later in the race Stoner would have had to lean out the engine which in the end may have given the win to Rossi anyway.

For some reason I think Motegi is going to be something. As for Spies, talk about suprised especially to see him come from 11th for a top 5 finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back