No Cockpit eye level Hood view for standard cars CONFIRMED

I'm not going to say your wrong, but I personally can't tell, for sure it's a different view from the cockpit view, eg not just replacing cockpit with bonnet.
But whatever the case, this video gives the impression of what should be on all Standard cars so we can get the sense we are not just driving a invisible magic carpet but at the same time low enough in the car to be in first person
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWdtRu7ztRo
3:40 to 3:43 in 720p , look at the transition between cockpit and roof cam, its clearly higher.

I'm not going to say your wrong, but I personally can't tell, for sure it's a different view from the cockpit view, eg not just replacing cockpit with bonnet.
But whatever the case, this video gives the impression of what should be on all Standard cars so we can get the sense we are not just driving a invisible magic carpet but at the same time low enough in the car to be in first person

On that I totally agree, it would have been a better trade-off.

Is the final game like Prologue though, the roof cam was inconsistent, some car had the roof cam on the roof itself, some on the edge and gave a bonnet feel, this video of the SLR and Castrol Supra would suggest the roof cam in GT5 might be just as inconsistent, wasn't GT4 the same, sometimes you saw the roof, sometimes portion of the roof and hood, sometimes the bonnet alone.

Last edited:
I could never get into hood cam because it makes the car feel very small to me. Whereas bumper cam can feel too low sometimes but is still my favorite, cockpit is either amazingly awesome or rubbish depending on the car... It's little things like lacking a simple camera option or not being able to disable HUD (in Prologue at least) that make me wonder sometimes, but it's far from a deal breaker to me.

I've signed up principally because of this thread. Those who could reasonably be described as complaining about the complainers certainly have a point — genuine perspective is difficult to achieve — but they also need to be aware of the inevitable logic of their own position. If all complaints are dismissed, and given that the only recourse that anyone really has if they are not listened to is to no longer buy a product, those who would dismiss any and all complaints as unreasonable — and there are some, though not too many, thankfully — are effectively advocating against their own interests, because it will come to a point where the game is no longer a viable option due to too few people being prepared to buy it. That's highly unlikely to happen, of course, but it does show the value of being prepared to listen to reasonable criticism.

Also, those who claim that the game is going to be "cool", anyway, and so, there is really no point in complaining are also missing the point. The game could still be described as "cool" if there was just one track and one car, but few people would be happy about that. This is, unfortunately, a consequence of some people mistaking any minor (or even major) criticism as an attack on the whole, and therefore feeling the need to defend at all costs and against all criticisms, no matter how justified. Suggesting that the exclusion of a particular feature is disappointing says very little about how someone will feel about the actual game (sans that feature).

So, it would appear that what we really should be doing is assessing the relative merits of each complaint based on a number of factors, chief among them is the number of people making the complaint, for obvious reasons.

In this particular instance I believe that newbielives has a genuine complaint, for this reason: this is a racing simulator/ driving game. If it was a FPS with a little bit of driving, it would be reasonable to describe the complaint as petty and excessive, but the entirety of this game is spent in the cars driving. Also, I believe that the position of the camera is fundamental to the experience. The way to show this is fairly simple: if the only camera was either the chase camera, or even one directly above the car, several dozen feet in the air, that would clearly impact (and likely ruin) the experience for a majority of people. Fortunately, the difference here is not that great, but as newbielives has tried to explain, it is great enough to leave him disappointed.

Therefore, when four-fifths of a games cars don't allow you to experience the game from the position that is most comfortable to you, it should be no surprise to anyone that it becomes an issue for some people. Dismissing that is bizarre, to say the least, particularly when this very feature has been included in many other games, including the precursors to this one — which is why some of us have become accustomed to it — and it does not appear to have been a tremendously difficult thing to implement.

Let me finish by saying that I have absolutely no doubt that GT5 will be one of the most exhilarating gaming experiences that I will ever enjoy, but as I am currently playing Prologue, having bought a new LCD TV, a PS3, a racing wheel, and a Wheel Stand Pro, in recent weeks in readiness for this game, I am rather enjoying the cockpit view and I am mildly disappointed that it is not fully included in GT5 proper.

that makes no sense. when you drive in real life, is all you see a DFGT or a g27? hell no, you see what you're driving. the cockpit view is the most realistic and you're little argument there is rediculous although I would die laughing if I saw some moron walking down the middle of the street, pretending to be driving with a g27 in his hands, dragging the cables along behind him LOL that's you buddy

its not an argument, its called an opinion.

I've signed up principally because of this thread. Those who could reasonably be described as complaining about the complainers certainly have a point — genuine perspective is difficult to achieve — but they also need to be aware of the inevitable logic of their own position. If all complaints are dismissed, and given that the only recourse that anyone really has if they are not listened to is to no longer buy a product, those who would dismiss any and all complaints as unreasonable — and there are some, though not too many, thankfully — are effectively advocating against their own interests, because it will come to a point where the game is no longer a viable option due to too few people being prepared to buy it. That's highly unlikely to happen, of course, but it does show the value of being prepared to listen to reasonable criticism.

Also, those who claim that the game is going to be "cool", anyway, and so, there is really no point in complaining are also missing the point. The game could still be described as "cool" if there was just one track and one car, but few people would be happy about that. This is, unfortunately, a consequence of some people mistaking any minor (or even major) criticism as an attack on the whole, and therefore feeling the need to defend at all costs and against all criticisms, no matter how justified. Suggesting that the exclusion of a particular feature is disappointing says very little about how someone will feel about the actual game (sans that feature).

So, it would appear that what we really should be doing is assessing the relative merits of each complaint based on a number of factors, chief among them is the number of people making the complaint, for obvious reasons.

In this particular instance I believe that newbielives has a genuine complaint, for this reason: this is a racing simulator/ driving game. If it was a FPS with a little bit of driving, it would be reasonable to describe the complaint as petty and excessive, but the entirety of this game is spent in the cars driving. Also, I believe that the position of the camera is fundamental to the experience. The way to show this is fairly simple: if the only camera was either the chase camera, or even one directly above the car, several dozen feet in the air, that would clearly impact (and likely ruin) the experience for a majority of people. Fortunately, the difference here is not that great, but as newbielives has tried to explain, it is great enough to leave him disappointed.

Therefore, when four-fifths of a games cars don't allow you to experience the game from the position that is most comfortable to you, it should be no surprise to anyone that it becomes an issue for some people. Dismissing that is bizarre, to say the least, particularly when this very feature has been included in many other games, including the precursors to this one — which is why some of us have become accustomed to it — and it does not appear to have been a tremendously difficult thing to implement.

Let me finish by saying that I have absolutely no doubt that GT5 will be one of the most exhilarating gaming experiences that I will ever enjoy, but as I am currently playing Prologue, having bought a new LCD TV, a PS3, a racing wheel, and a Wheel Stand Pro, in recent weeks in readiness for this game, I am rather enjoying the cockpit view and I am mildly disappointed that it is not fully included in GT5 proper.

You do make a few very valid points. But also think about this. There are ~400 cars in Forza 3 (I'm using this as the standard 'sim' racing game out right now), yes all of which have some form of damage, and all of which have a cock pit view. I would like to know how many people drive every single one of those 400 cars on a basis enough where not having a cock pit view would be detrimental to their game play. Honestly there are maybe 20 - 30 cars you REALLY drive a lot. Yes its nice having all the options there, but it isn't necessary for the few people that will be sad because the car they want to be perfect isn't.

With that said, GT will have ~200 premium cars. Thats 200 high quality, real to life cars, inside an out. It will look better, feel better, and be overall better than anything out on the market. Most other games that do have cockpit views barley even come close to that number, and they cant even compare graphic wise, and realism wise. So ON TOP of those brilliant cars, there is going to be ANOTHER 800 cars for you to play with. Yes, it would be nice to have over 1,000 premium quality cars, but lets be realistic. The standard cars themselves are not too bad quality wise either. Anyone who honestly expects GT to be able to model that many cars is just insane. But be happy with the 200 you will have.

On another side note, no one has actually played the game yet. All we have is speculation. Yes there is roof cam on one car in the video. But I do believe in the past when the hood of the car was too small for an accurate hood cam, you got the roof cam. Sometimes you got a bit of both. Honestly, it doesn't even make sense for them to not have a hood cam. PD knows the market it is in, and it knows how immersed the players like to feel. Only having roof cam and chase cam doesn't make sense. I'm sure they will offer hood cams, just not on that specific car. So please, will everyone chill out, and just wait for the game to come out before they start complaining.

/rant

On another side note, no one has actually played the game yet.
Well that's totally incorrect for a start! Plenty of people have played the game, and my local GAME store has (just this morning) received its shipment of GT5. The game is real, and the game is out there.

Well that's totally incorrect for a start! Plenty of people have played the game, and my local GAME store has (just this morning) received its shipment of GT5. The game is real, and the game is out there.

Awesome! any chance of getting a pic? this is worthy of a "news update" (imho,ymmv)
:)

Hood cam would be almost as good as cockpit view. I would use hood cam in drifting as current cockpitview with limited steering animation disturbes my brain in drifting.

Put the 900 steering animation in!! (i have requested this like two years now but masses won't care)

Quite honestly, I think I'll be using 3rd person view where you see the entire car (when cockpit view isn't available) Somehow hood, roof and bumper cam feel too much like my car is 'floating' on the track as opposed to actually being firmly grounded on it.

This is great news, although its hard to tell if that is a roofcam or not it looks pretty good and if the leaked copies are not actually the full versions of the game, that is even better news.
Look in my thread :
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=132536

Edit 2 :
Also in this new video posted yesterday 16 november 2010 there is a real great hood cam in replay mode ! min 1:18
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XlZU7-MWEE&feature=player_embedded

lets hope this is the real deal, the final build of GT5 and this hood view is also present in gameplay !!!

Not all is lost maybe:

Picture1-11.png

Picture2-6.png

Patrocles
Awesome! any chance of getting a pic? this is worthy of a "news update" (imho,ymmv)
:)
I have no means to acquire such a picture, just heard through word of mouth. Given the game is out next week, it's hardly news-worthy.

I have no means to acquire such a picture, just heard through word of mouth. Given the game is out next week, it's hardly news-worthy.

This is extremely newsworhty considering the game release has been delayed! Do you think your source is incorrect or mistaken about GT5 being in the shops?

Last edited:
as some guy found out by doing 3D models:

the "hood" cam is actually a camera that hangs around the same place as the rearview mirror... (if my memory serves me right?)

anyways, i dont care. we have the typical "oldschool" cam view for those pathetic low polygon cars.. :P (even though.. we all know that we're gonna drive the cars we like the most.. premium or not)

Unfortunately there is No Hood cam for GT5, why polyphony ?!!! why ?!!! you have it in some demos...

It is now confirmed by amar212 :

"First to say that sound is greatly improved (I have a large 5.1 setup). Best sound is from the roof-cam (no hood cam, it's final), while tyre sound is refined additionaly. Spund of impact is vastly improved when you bump into other cars."
👎:nervous:

Doesn't bother me in the slightest. I intend to only use premium cars with in car view throughout my time with GT5. I tested the 3D at the beta room event in Birmingham and made my decision there and then to get a 3D tv. The effects are incredible (contrary to some other impressions online) when using the in car view in 3D. No screen pop but loads of depth and a sense of immersion that's hard to describe. Nurburgring at night in a Castrol Supra is only a week away :)

Unfortunately there is No Hood cam for GT5, why polyphony ?!!! why ?!!! you have it in some demos...

It is now confirmed by amar212 :

"First to say that sound is greatly improved (I have a large 5.1 setup). Best sound is from the roof-cam (no hood cam, it's final), while tyre sound is refined additionaly. Spund of impact is vastly improved when you bump into other cars."
👎:nervous:

This is embarassing. I hate that damn roof view and everybody in this world does so. Why didn't just leave it like it was in prologue? (which might have been roof too, maybe, but was definitely looking way better: you were able to se only the bonnet) Why did they stick to that crappy PSP fashion? I really do not want to race seeing half the roof. I'm gonna have to stick to the chase view :grumpy: since unlikely other people here I will run the standars more than the premiums, since most of my favourite cars are standards.
aaaaaagh... they stabbed my heart with this :nervous:

Doesn't bother me in the slightest. I intend to only use premium cars with in car view throughout my time with GT5. I tested the 3D at the beta room event in Birmingham and made my decision there and then to get a 3D tv. The effects are incredible (contrary to some other impressions online) when using the in car view in 3D. No screen pop but loads of depth and a sense of immersion that's hard to describe. Nurburgring at night in a Castrol Supra is only a week away :)

Agreed- it's in car or nothing. 200 cars is plenty for me.

Doesn't bother me in the slightest. I intend to only use premium cars with in car view throughout my time with GT5.

Agreed- it's in car or nothing. 200 cars is plenty for me.

We need to buy a used car at the start of the GT Mode, don't we? From Amar his thread:

"When in Used Car/Dealership garage, every car (all in Used Car are Standard Models) have a Demo."

So you guys gonna wait for GT6? :)

Mmmm, interesting point. Though do we have to buy a used car to start? Or will there be a cheap enough brand new premium we could afford? Not long to find out I suppose!

Back