McLaren MP4-12C: Lets make it better.

• Thread starter paskowitz
  • 79 comments
I have a driven stock MP4-12C with only the CF spoiler at lowest downforce on Sports Hard tires at the Nurburgring. The rear felt fairly planted but it was the front that had the most issues, it seems to be hopping quite severely over the bumps. That said it handled pretty good and has great torque.

WHY!? WHY IS IT SO BOUNCY?

Seriously, even with the springs at the lowest it's still feels like you're driving a bouncy castle with wheels. This is the GT5 version of Jelly Car. And of course, all that bouncing makes it handle like crap fully tuned. I want to run the 4 Hours of NB with it, but I don't know if I want to put up with the smushy shocks. I hope they have a RM version for this to turn it into the GT3 racer. I bet it doesn't have soft shocks.

Most cars run that way because of the way GT does it shock system. The stock suspension regardless of whether it is representative of the way the real spring rates are in real life do not have the appropriate dampers and anti-roll bar settings. I've found you can buy the full custom suspension, port over the spring rates, then bump the dampers up to 3 or 4, and anti-roll bars to 2 or 3 for most high performance models in the game and the handling is drastically improved and what you expect from a 200k CR car.

This car needs a lot more front downforce to keep up with the Ferrari's (F430 Scuderia & 458 Italia) at similar PP levels...

I really want to like this car and use it more but its only drivable with racing mediums/softs as the corner exit oversteer is epic.

For all you guys having problems, try not using full throttle over the bumps, this thing still accelerates like a beast at half throttle unlike equivalent Ferraris, which seem to go for drivability.

Driving this car is a fine art that takes much practice. When mastered it is as fast if not faster than it's competition.

Yet its very much a drivers car IRL that is praised for its ease of use or predictable handling...

I don't have a lot of issue with the car when using racing soft/mediums but as a rule, I don't use anything more than sports softs unless I'm online.

Ok.... This is my next project after reading a time of 6:53 on the ring. I just did that last night with my Toyota X-runner in the seasonal event. Literally 6:53:?? seconds. I would hope that I can get a "super car" to run a faster lap time than a truck. I will let you know if I get a "Magical" tune for it.

Ok.... This is my next project after reading a time of 6:53 on the ring. I just did that last night with my Toyota X-runner in the seasonal event. Literally 6:53:?? seconds. I would hope that I can get a "super car" to run a faster lap time than a truck. I will let you know if I get a "Magical" tune for it.

I'm not a great driver and use D3 and AT shift. Using same tune I posted above with Race Soft I got 7:03". Bump the power up to max and have a wheel and it's probably easily doable.

A custom LSD might buy a few more seconds also, but the stock differential grips well enough on 680hp with sport soft, or a higher hp with some grade of race tire it's not a required upgrade.

Last edited:
After months of tuning my mp4 I'm doing 6: 20 nur online with relative ease on a dual shock with no more than 750 hp. The car just requires a lot of tuning to master.

Tuning is half the battle, I just find the car to both oversteer and understeer severely under numerous conditions that can't be tuned out; like I've said upthread I really want this car to be good, it just isn't. It's one of the best handling production cars IRL (in real life), its sad to see how its butchered in GT5.

Careful throttle control helps but only so much, Nurb is a good track for the McLaren as the amount of low speed corners isn't as cumbersome as a tight track with lots of low speed turns where you need to put the power down immediately out of an apex.

This car can handle lots of upgrades and keep its original feel but to start with I would,
Drop the weight,
Chip it,
Stage 1 the engine, [maybe]
Racing soft tyres,
Run it in.

I would'nt [for a light tune] fit...... areo, suspension, transmition, exhaust [especialy the exhaust, you loose the MP4-12 sound]
This car's a peach as it is, it's a RWD that feels like a 4WD

That's what I would do for a light tune......
I would do somthing quite complex for a medium tune to keep the original feel....
Hard tuning it will completey loose the original feel and only make it half a second faster and less consistent than the medium tune.

Last edited:
After months of tuning my mp4 I'm doing 6: 20 nur online with relative ease on a dual shock with no more than 750 hp. The car just requires a lot of tuning to master.

Care to share your tune? I spent about an hour or two with this car and still does not feel right. I was able to take the lofty feel out of the front and tweek the handling to make it more controlable. Still not falling in love with it!

Care to share your tune? I spent about an hour or two with this car and still does not feel right. I was able to take the lofty feel out of the front and tweek the handling to make it more controlable. Still not falling in love with it!

Sorry, not a chance. I like being the only Mp4-12c that consistently wins online races. But I will give you a big tuning tip: use the toe values to help address the balance of under/oversteer, otherwise aim for a balanced setup.

Hi, I've had two, thought there must be a glitch with the first one. Tried much suspension / wing tuning without success. Sold them both. The McLaren F1 is a way better car on GT5.

Hi, I've had two, thought there must be a glitch with the first one. Tried much suspension / wing tuning without success. Sold them both. The McLaren F1 is a way better car on GT5.

I've been playing with this car for 5 hours tonight and have come to the conclusion that it can be tuned and did handle very well but and it's a big but....I could only find a base tune for tight twisty bouncy track's, as soon as I took it to the High Speed Ring It would understeer slightly under breaking in to the corner and the settings to fix that were almost a complete overhaul of the suspension that did'nt work back on the bouncy twisty tracks.
Stock this car is awsome and slightly warmed over still so, but when you start to push it it does'nt feel how it should.

Installing a spoiler on this car will cause front end isues,[vague and slow to turn]..... I found I could run mine at 700 break with no problems under accelleration, all systems off....

I have'nt given up on this car and I belive that once the suspension is sorted the problem causing the front end to wash at high speed under breaking is with the LSD deceleration...

Last edited:
I reckon all this car needs to be perfect is no extra power but more Toe and Anti roll bar play around because i suspect that the hydraulic suspension that was made for this car wasn't implemented in the game thats whats making it all soft on the corners and understeery.

Last edited:
Yet to play with this car, but based on previous posts I am guessing there is zero front downforce adjustment? If that is the case, it is going to be hard to get it to maintain the steer grip. Might have to have a play with the previously posted tunes to see if I can obtain better :P

We are currently tuning this car for the April Tuner Challenge Championship. This one is tough - almost as tough as the Yellow Bird.

For the competition we are using race hard tires, maxed out HP parts, all of the light weight parts, etc. Basically adding every part available for the car. So far, I have been able to find a driveable front/rear balance and a lap time improvement of almost 2 seconds over the stock settings. But the car still has an odd feel that I'm working on. I got rid of the push/snap loose problem, but now I get a wiggle, mid corner. Actually more like a couple of wiggles mid corner. The car just doesn't roll through the center smoothly. It doesn't seem to be slowing the corner speed much, but just looks stupid to drive.

Our tunes are due April 21st. Hopefully you'll have six or so different tunes to play with for this car.

We are currently tuning this car for the April Tuner Challenge Championship. This one is tough - almost as tough as the Yellow Bird.

For the competition we are using race hard tires, maxed out HP parts, all of the light weight parts, etc. Basically adding every part available for the car. So far, I have been able to find a driveable front/rear balance and a lap time improvement of almost 2 seconds over the stock settings. But the car still has an odd feel that I'm working on. I got rid of the push/snap loose problem, but now I get a wiggle, mid corner. Actually more like a couple of wiggles mid corner. The car just doesn't roll through the center smoothly. It doesn't seem to be slowing the corner speed much, but just looks stupid to drive.

Our tunes are due April 21st. Hopefully you'll have six or so different tunes to play with for this car.

I have only briefly looked at the challenge thread so may have missed it, but is ballast allowed to be utilised for challenge tunes? I have read that ballast may well be glitched as well, so maybe it it isn't the answer anyway.

This is why I leave the tuning to the pros and prefer to dabble and not post mine ;)

As an update to my previous post, after a few thousand kilometers more, I like this:

What to buy:
rear wing
oil change
sports exhaust
fully adjustable gearbox
LSD
fully adjustable suspension

Setup:
Ballast: 0kg at -7 position
Aero: 0/15
LSD: 8/17/5 (shamelessly stolen from Motor City Tunes, it's too good)
Height: -10/-7
Springs: 12.9/13.3
Damper Ext: 4/7
Damper Com: 6/5
Anti-Roll: 3/3
Camber (-): 2.0/0.8
Toe: -0.10/0.00
Brakes: 6/7 (ABS=1)

Gears:
highest gear: 3.600 (max speed: 383km/h)
1: 4060
2: 2680
3: 1930
4: 1485
5: 1190
6: 0985
7: 0840

Sport tyres of your preference. For use with racing tyres, increase camber to 3.0/1.0.

Last edited:
As an update to my previous post, after a few thousand kilometers more, I like this:

What to buy:
rear wing
oil change
sports exhaust
fully adjustable gearbox
LSD
fully adjustable suspension

Setup:
Ballast: 0kg at -7 position
Aero: 0/13
LSD: 7/17/5 (shamelessly stolen from Motor City Tunes, it's too good)
Height: -5/-5
Springs: 12.0/13.0
Damper Ext: 4/6
Damper Com: 6/5
Anti-Roll: 3/3
Camber (-): 2.7/1.0
Toe: -0.10/0.00
Brakes: 6/7 (ABS=1)

Gears:
highest gear: 3.600 (max speed: 383km/h)
1: 4060
2: 2680
3: 1930
4: 1485
5: 1190
6: 0985
7: 0840

Tuned on sports softs and racing hards

Hi, i just want to say to check this ride height... -5/-5 is efectively +5/+5. Now i believe in this GT5 bug, i've make my own test and i fix it again slowly on alls my tunes. For some of them that use balance, there is a big diference..

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=202692

You're welcome to try these settings if you like... I was playing about with the car at the 'Ring and they felt nice to me.

Car was fully tuned on sports soft, and lap times were around 6'40.

Ride +15 -35
Spring 12.5 14.3
Rebound 8 6
Bound 6 4
ARB 4 6
Camber 3.0 2.0
Toe -0.10 -0.15

Brakes 3 2

LSD stock

Gearing isn't really relevent unless you're running >800 bhp.

I was running with a rear wing, so if you're not, you might need to lower the front ride height of take a bit of toe off the rear... not sure if it might be a bit tail happy without the wing.

Hi, i just want to say to check this ride height... -5/-5 is efectively +5/+5. Now i believe in this GT5 bug, i've make my own test and i fix it again slowly on alls my tunes. For some of them that use balance, there is a big diference..

Sorry, but you misunderstand it!
Reverse doesn't mean from negative to positive or vice versa. It means that the front setting influences the rear and the rear influences the front.
Example: you set -10/-5 but in the game it's -5/-10 (do you understand it?)
In my opinion it's not reversed, certain parameters (advantages, disadvantages) are just more important and have more influence than others and thats why people think it's reversed.

You're welcome to try these settings if you like... I was playing about with the car at the 'Ring and they felt nice to me.

Ride +15 -35
Spring 12.5 14.3
Rebound 8 6
Bound 6 4
ARB 4 6
Camber 3.0 2.0
Toe -0.10 -0.15

Brakes 3 2

LSD stock

I was running with a rear wing, so if you're not, you might need to lower the front ride height of take a bit of toe off the rear... not sure if it might be a bit tail happy without the wing.

I realy want to do this car better, but it's very dificult.
Mine was "happy tail" like you say, but the correction i tried to do on it was wrongs because of the inverted ride height bug.
But now it's corrected and it's more than good, ... another car.
Try it please and tell me what do you think about.
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=5224271#post5224271

Ride +15 -35
Spring 12.5 14.3
Rebound 8 6
Bound 6 4
ARB 4 6
Camber 3.0 2.0
Toe -0.10 -0.15

Brakes 3 2

LSD stock

Just gave it a go, in 5 laps cold I was able to go .3s faster around Tokyo than any of the tunes I tried in the tuner challenge (15 laps warmup and 15 laps on each tune). Understeer is gone, biggest problem now is my heavy foot + 880hp :)

Edit: 3 laps later another .23 improvement, then .2 faster again next lap. Your tune is now .730s faster than any of the tunes I've tried before.

Last edited:
Glad you're getting on well with it :)

It would probably be faster on a smooth track like Tokyo with stiffer suspension (springs, dampers & ARB's)... I was running at the 'Ring, so had to keep the suspension soft enough to cope with the bumps.

Ride +15 -35
Spring 12.5 14.3
Rebound 8 6
Bound 6 4
ARB 4 6
Camber 3.0 2.0
Toe -0.10 -0.15

Brakes 3 2

LSD stock

It's indeed quicker than the Tuner Challenge entries. I never doubted that those tunes work and are quick btw. But imo it has nothing to do with front being rear etc. With your tune you can clearly feel it's the front which has all the travel.
I don't know what makes those tunes so quick. I doubt a real car with -35/+15 (your tune reversed) would be. So I consider those tunes exploits.

Back