7th GTP F1 World Championship (F1 2010 edition) * SEASON FINISHED :'''( *

No problem, it didn't affect me in the end but it was a little confusing! I understand its hard to judge where to slow down and how fast the guy behind is catching, so I don't mind being held up a little bit as long as its not for several corners.
If I was you, I would have carried on into turn 7/8 and all the way to 9 and maybe pulled over after 9. I'd wait for the car behind to actually be behind me before pulling over, and I wouldn't pull over near the braking zone or entry point to corners because it gets confusing.

The best place to pull over is nearly always just after the exit of a corner or way before the braking zone of a corner. When it starts to get into the braking zones and turning in points, its much less confusing if you just take your racing line and pull over later. As long as its not for more than a few corners. The best place I can think of is if you pulled over to the tight inside after a corner, as the outside is the natural line the speed carries the car, so it makes the decision process easy.

I think another rule of thumb is to not try to let cars past in awkward places such as chicanes or tight corner combinations. Better to carry on and ok, you slow the guy behind a bit but its just less confusing and awkward than trying to place the car so its not in the way when the corner direction changes.

This is going to be critical at Monaco, as there is little margin for error and not much space to let people past. I'd actually say the drivers catching lapped cars are the ones who need to be most careful there - I think people should realise that lapped cars might make strange changes of direction if they are not careful.

Yeah I know what you mean, I really kinda confused myself, I've always pulled over on the straights but it was hard to judge how fast you were gaining on me and how long it would be before you were right behind me, guess I panicked a bit I really didnt want to mess it your race up.

No harm done though so all is well :)

GTP 7th F1 World Championship - Round 5 - Spain

05spainencmyk300dpi.jpg

Weather - Light rain during qualifying, dry race

Qualifying Results:

Pole - Shaggy Alonso (Tyrrell) - 1:22.482 (10 pts)

2nd. - DarkPSI (Benetton) - 1:22.5xx (8 pts)

3rd. - Pipeslice (Jordan) - 1:24.313 (6 pts)

4th. - Baumi27 (Brawn)- 1:24.481 (5 pts)

5th. - Mutu20 (Tyrrell)- 1:24.731 (4 pts)

6th. - Ardius (Brawn)- 1:25.091(3 pts)

7th. - AliT12 (Brabham)- 1:27.818 (2 pts)

8th. - MikeTheHockeyFan (Benetton)- 1:28.851 (1 pts)

9th. - Tombrooks97 (Jordan)- 1:29.000

10th. - kcheeb (Hesketh)- 1:29.838

11th. - jordy7777 (Hesketh)- 1:30.431

12th. - Upuaut (Brabham)- 1:30.635

Race Results:

1st. Shaggy Alonso (Tyrrell) (25 pts) - 46m12.879s
2nd. DarkPSI (Benetton) (18 pts) + 2.6s
3rd. Mutu20 (Tyrrell) (15 pts) + 77.4s
4th. Ardius (Brawn) (12 pts) + 77.7s
5th. Baumi27 (Brawn) (10 pts) + 79.9s
6th. MikeTheHockeyFan (Benetton) (8 pts) + 1 lap
7th. Tombrooks97 (Jordan) (6 pts) + 2 laps
8th. AliT12 (Brabham) (4 pts) + 2 laps
9th. kcheeb (Hesketh) (2 pts) + 2 laps
DNF. Upuaut (Brabham)
DNF. Pipeslice (Jordan)
DNF. jordy7777 (Hesketh)

Qualifying:

I entered qualifying not knowing if I had pole position in me, both DarkPSI and Pipeslice looked as fast if not faster than me in practice throughout the week. I had always thought Catalunya to be one of my strongest circuits, so maybe it isn't, or maybe it's just that everyone is strong here just like in real life :P

And indeed, Pipeslice's very first flyer was a 1:20.5 (the same as my best ever around here). I felt I had a 1:20.4 in me if I hooked all my best sectors together but i'd never be able to replicate Pipe's mind-bending 1:20.1 set during the week. So when Dark and Pipe got disconnected midway through quali, I certainly could have taken advantage by pressing on!

When we restarted the session, the rain had arrived which was a good thing from my perspective - changable conditions negate my rivals' carefully refined dry set ups :sly: 👍

My first lap was pretty timid, a 1:23.7 - no obvious mistakes but I didn't didn't commit very much to the corners. I ballsed up my following lap so it became my in-lap.

My next flying lap I carried much more speed into the corners and did what would result in the eventual pole lap of 1:22.4. This was part of a 2 lap run but unfortunately I screwed my second lap again so this once again became my in-lap. Then on my final run, I was 3 tenths down on my best at the end of the 2nd sector so gave up on it and was relieved that my 1:22.4 held for pole position, even though Dark got within a whisker of it on his final run. Pipeslice was mysteriously off the pace and was hit with a 5 place grid penalty, for apparently no reason according to him 👎

Race:

Wet qualifying gave us a clean slate for which compound to start on, but given my obvious vulnerability to cars behind, I wasn't going to try any fancy strategy so I fitted a pair of fresh options and the plan was to build and consolidate enough of a gap to be able to turn the wick down near the end without losing the lead.

I got a great start (still haven't had a bad one yet, it's bound to come soon) and pulled several car lengths on the pack, before they drafted me and came closer. I braked at about 85 metres which was too late and made turns 2-3 really scruffy but it was well worth it because it helped to escape contact from behind. Baumi27 briefly made it past Dark after the start but mid-way through the first lap Dark retook 2nd position. My first lap was pretty cautious but I really stretched my legs on the second lap and did a 1:23 flat, which I was disheartened to see had only eked out a paltry 2 tenths on Dark - it was clear that I was in for a tough evening :scared:

We held station for the first 5-6 laps, and I noticed a trend where on average Dark would catch me by a tenth in the first sector, another tenth in the second sector, then i'd pull out two tenths in the final sector on him - it was a virtual stalemate and would simply come down to who made the least mistakes. Unfortunately, I made a couple; under braking for turn 5 which allowed Dark to get closer, then another at turn 15 which almost cost me the lead. But then I did lose it. Frustrated at Dark's ability to gain on me through 7 & 8, I carried a tiny bit more speed than the car would allow through here and understeered my right-front onto the gravel of 8 and Dark went round outside of me to take the lead by about half a second.

Amazingly, as soon as I saw Dark ahead of me, I found a couple of tenths. The problem with being the hunted is that too much of your driving is done consciously, for fear of making a mistake. When you're the pursuer this factor doesn't come into the equation so your subconscious takes over and does a greater proportion of the driving. It's the same in virtually every sport, where pressure takes its toll on performance.

Initially I stalked Dark's every move, then he pulled out a 1 second lead (this was about as much as there ever was between us in the whole first stint 👍 ) with a good lap of his and an average lap of mine. However next lap he made a mistake in the final sector and I was right on him going into turn 14. Conscious of needing a good exit from 15, I kept it really tidy going through here and got on the power nice and early for the main straight which worked a treat. I sat in his diffuser for two thirds of the straight before pulling out to the right to take the high-ground into 1. I just about inched ahead and braked at about 110-115 metres (late) but Dark braked even later (!) - this was ****ing EPIC! - and we both went into it side by side! Visions of Mansell vs Senna.......(not to compare us to them though it's worth making clear!)

Then the inevitable happened when neither of us would yield into turn 2 and we made contact, Dark tagging my rear slightly (just a sideways moment, but no spin), although he probably didn't have much choice as i'd forced him quite deep into turn one. He graciously gave the place back and the chase continued just as it had before, until Dark pitted on lap 12, and myself on lap 14. The undercut doesn't really work in F1 2010 unless you're pitting for options, so I find you're best stretching out the superior grip of the options and then fitting the primes later than scheduled so that there's a seamless transition in lap times. I made a decent pit-stop and came out a surprising 6 seconds in front of Dark. This would be the pivotal point in the race - Dark ran over his poor jack-man and lost a heap of time.

For whatever reason, Dark didn't seem to like the primes as much as I did and I found extending the gap between us more managable in this second stint. He no longer seemed to hold much advantage in the first sector, still a slight advantage in sector two, but I was eking out the lead in the final sector more and more. The gap eventually became close to 11 seconds when I set my fastest lap of 1:21.6 on lap 28 before turning the engine mode to cruise for the rest of the race. This was the target i'd initially set myself to ensure that I wouldn't be overtaken at the end of the race. Dark started reeling me in by roughly 1.5 secs a lap, but this wouldn't be enough with 5 laps to go so long as I didn't make any mistakes or get held up by traffic. Thankfully, traffic parted for me and I limped over the line, winning by a slender 2.6 second margin. What a great battle, and definitely the most draining I can remember having in this game. You Dark, are a most worthy adversary :drool:

Elsewhere, Pipeslice had made his way up to 3rd before getting disconnected, a shame as it should have been a 3-way tussle for the win. This promoted my team mate James, or his real name, Mutu20, to the final step of the podium and his first of the championship 👍
He just about held off a superb debut performance fromArdius who came home in 4th. The other debutant to impress was Dark's team mate, MikeTheHockeyFan who finished a solid 6th and picked up good points for Benetton.

Upuaut appeared to crash his car purposefully, I hope he's not getting too frustrated and will be there at Monaco. Jordy7777 like Pipeslice, seemed to get disconnected (a frustrating reality of this championship will be that people getting d/c is always possible). I hope this doesn't discourage you Jordy from the championship.

So all in all an exciting race and many battles fought right throughout the field. Nice full house of 12 drivers which was great but for the connection issues some had. I look forward to seeing you all again at Monaco :) 👍

Here's the tables:

Drivers Championship

1st. Shaggy Alonso - 163 pts
2nd. DarkPSI - 125 pts
3rd. Baumi27 - 97 pts
4th. Mutu20 - 62 pts
5th. Pipeslice - 50 pts
6th. NumbPhase - 34 pts
7th. Upuaut - 34 pts
8th. tombrooks97 - 33 pts
9th. DOUQA - 19 pts
10th. AliT12 - 17 pts
11th Ardius - 15 pts
12th Jerry786 - 12 pts
13th. MikeTheHockeyFan - 9 pts
14th. kcheeb - 9 pts
15th. Shark33 - 3 pts
16th. Manios22DC - 2 pts
17th. jordy7777 - 0 pts

Teams Championship

1st. Tyrrell - 225 pts (Shaggy Alonso, Mutu20)
2nd. Benetton - 134 pts (DarkPSI, MikeTheHockeyFan)
3rd. Brawn - 112 pts (Baumi27, Manios22DC, Ardius)
4th. Jordan - 98 pts (Tombrooks97, Pipeslice, Jerry786, Shark33)
5th. Hesketh - 62 pts (kcheeb, NumbPhase, DOUQA, jordy7777)
6th. Brabham - 51 pts (Upuaut, AliT12)

Last edited:
Doing some testing for Monaco and thinking about how this race is going to be completely hilarious and awesome. I'm really looking forward to it but testing offline with the Red Bull doesn't seem to be replicating online conditions too well. I seem to be about 2 or 3 seconds off from where I should be, based on previous online races.

Just got my brand new G27!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I feel like a kid at Christmas.

I seem to not be able to keep a straight line in the straights though :/ ever so slightly weaving, is this normal?

Just got my brand new G27!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I feel like a kid at Christmas.

I seem to not be able to keep a straight line in the straights though :/ ever so slightly weaving, is this normal?

Excellent Ali, that's great and i'm sure you won't regret it.

Trust me, it takes a bit of getting used to but it soon becomes second nature and you can hold a straight line very easily. After i'd been on holiday for nearly 3 weeks, even when I came back to play for the first time it felt really weird, and I wasn't as easily able to keep a straight line as I remembered. It just takes a while to get accustomed to it.

However, there is a setting in the options, I think it's steering 'saturation' (or it could be linearity, though I think it's saturation) and if that's too low then the car does handle in a really knife edge sort of way. Turning that up to 100% if it isn't already is the most neutral setting.

Trust me, it takes a bit of getting used to but it soon becomes second nature and you can hold a straight line very easily. After i'd been on holiday for nearly 3 weeks, even when I came back to play for the first time it felt really weird, and I wasn't as easily able to keep a straight line as I remembered. It just takes a while to get accustomed to it.

However, there is a setting in the options, I think it's steering 'saturation' (or it could be linearity, though I think it's saturation) and if that's too low then the car does handle in a really knife edge sort of way. Turning that up to 100% if it isn't already is the most neutral setting.[/QUOTE]

Yea I love it already.

Yea I've been getting better at straight line already with it, it is kind of knife edge though I'll fiddle about with the saturation now see if it's better

Thanks for the help

GTP 7th F1 World Championship - Round 5 - Spain

05spainencmyk300dpi.jpg

Weather - Light rain during qualifying, dry race

Qualifying Results:

Pole - Shaggy Alonso (Tyrrell) - 1:22.482 (10 pts)

2nd. - DarkPSI (Benetton) - 1:22.5xx (8 pts)

3rd. - Pipeslice (Jordan) - 1:24.313 (6 pts)

4th. - Baumi27 (Brawn)- 1:24.481 (5 pts)

5th. - Mutu20 (Tyrrell)- 1:24.731 (4 pts)

6th. - Ardius (Brawn)- 1:25.091(3 pts)

7th. - AliT12 (Brabham)- 1:27.818 (2 pts)

8th. - MikeTheHockeyFan (Benetton)- 1:28.851 (1 pts)

9th. - Tombrooks97 (Jordan)- 1:29.000

10th. - kcheeb (Hesketh)- 1:29.838

11th. - jordy7777 (Hesketh)- 1:30.431

12th. - Upuaut (Brabham)- 1:30.635

Race Results:

1st. Shaggy Alonso (Tyrrell) (25 pts) - 46m12.879s
2nd. DarkPSI (Benetton) (18 pts) + 2.6s
3rd. Mutu20 (Tyrrell) (15 pts) + 77.4s
4th. Ardius (Brawn) (12 pts) + 77.7s
5th. Baumi27 (Brawn) (10 pts) + 79.9s
6th. MikeTheHockeyFan (Benetton) (8 pts) + 1 lap
7th. Tombrooks97 (Jordan) (6 pts) + 2 laps
8th. AliT12 (Brabham) (4 pts) + 2 laps
9th. kcheeb (Hesketh) (2 pts) + 2 laps
DNF. Upuaut (Brabham)
DNF. Pipeslice (Jordan)
DNF. jordy7777 (Hesketh)

Qualifying:

I entered qualifying not knowing if I had pole position in me, both DarkPSI and Pipeslice looked as fast if not faster than me in practice throughout the week. I had always thought Catalunya to be one of my strongest circuits, so maybe it isn't, or maybe it's just that everyone is strong here just like in real life :P

And indeed, Pipeslice's very first flyer was a 1:20.5 (the same as my best ever around here). I felt I had a 1:20.4 in me if I hooked all my best sectors together but i'd never be able to replicate Pipe's mind-bending 1:20.1 set during the week. So when Dark and Pipe got disconnected midway through quali, I certainly could have taken advantage by pressing on!

When we restarted the session, the rain had arrived which was a good thing from my perspective - changable conditions negate my rivals' carefully refined dry set ups :sly: 👍

My first lap was pretty timid, a 1:23.7 - no obvious mistakes but I didn't didn't commit very much to the corners. I ballsed up my following lap so it became my in-lap.

My next flying lap I carried much more speed into the corners and did what would result in the eventual pole lap of 1:22.4. This was part of a 2 lap run but unfortunately I screwed my second lap again so this once again became my in-lap. Then on my final run, I was 3 tenths down on my best at the end of the 2nd sector so gave up on it and was relieved that my 1:22.4 held for pole position, even though Dark got within a whisker of it on his final run. Pipeslice was mysteriously off the pace and was hit with a 5 place grid penalty, for apparently no reason according to him 👎

Race:

Wet qualifying gave us a clean slate for which compound to start on, but given my obvious vulnerability to cars behind, I wasn't going to try any fancy strategy so I fitted a pair of fresh options and the plan was to build and consolidate enough of a gap to be able to turn the wick down near the end without losing the lead.

I got a great start (still haven't had a bad one yet, it's bound to come soon) and pulled several car lengths on the pack, before they drafted me and came closer. I braked at about 85 metres which was too late and made turns 2-3 really scruffy but it was well worth it because it helped to escape contact from behind. Baumi27 briefly made it past Dark after the start but mid-way through the first lap Dark retook 2nd position. My first lap was pretty cautious but I really stretched my legs on the second lap and did a 1:23 flat, which I was disheartened to see had only eked out a paltry 2 tenths on Dark - it was clear that I was in for a tough evening :scared:

We held station for the first 5-6 laps, and I noticed a trend where on average Dark would catch me by a tenth in the first sector, another tenth in the second sector, then i'd pull out two tenths in the final sector on him - it was a virtual stalemate and would simply come down to who made the least mistakes. Unfortunately, I made a couple; under braking for turn 5 which allowed Dark to get closer, then another at turn 15 which almost cost me the lead. But then I did lose it. Frustrated at Dark's ability to gain on me through 7 & 8, I carried a tiny bit more speed than the car would allow through here and understeered my right-front onto the gravel of 8 and Dark went round outside of me to take the lead by about half a second.

Amazingly, as soon as I saw Dark ahead of me, I found a couple of tenths. The problem with being the hunted is that too much of your driving is done consciously, for fear of making a mistake. When you're the pursuer this factor doesn't come into the equation so your subconscious takes over and does a greater proportion of the driving. It's the same in virtually every sport, where pressure takes its toll on performance.

Initially I stalked Dark's every move, then he pulled out a 1 second lead (this was about as much as there ever was between us in the whole first stint 👍 ) with a good lap of his and an average lap of mine. However next lap he made a mistake in the final sector and I was right on him going into turn 14. Conscious of needing a good exit from 15, I kept it really tidy going through here and got on the power nice and early for the main straight which worked a treat. I sat in his diffuser for two thirds of the straight before pulling out to the right to take the high-ground into 1. I just about inched ahead and braked at about 110-115 metres (late) but Dark braked even later (!) - this was ****ing EPIC! - and we both went into it side by side! Visions of Mansell vs Senna.......(not to compare us to them though it's worth making clear!)

Then the inevitable happened when neither of us would yield into turn 2 and we made contact, Dark tagging my rear slightly (just a sideways moment, but no spin), although he probably didn't have much choice as i'd forced him quite deep into turn one. He graciously gave the place back and the chase continued just as it had before, until Dark pitted on lap 12, and myself on lap 14. The undercut doesn't really work in F1 2010 unless you're pitting for options, so I find you're best stretching out the superior grip of the options and then fitting the primes later than scheduled so that there's a seamless transition in lap times. I made a decent pit-stop and came out a surprising 6 seconds in front of Dark. This would be the pivotal point in the race - Dark ran over his poor jack-man and lost a heap of time.

For whatever reason, Dark didn't seem to like the primes as much as I did and I found extending the gap between us more managable in this second stint. He no longer seemed to hold much advantage in the first sector, still a slight advantage in sector two, but I was eking out the lead in the final sector more and more. The gap eventually became close to 11 seconds when I set my fastest lap of 1:21.6 on lap 28 before turning the engine mode to cruise for the rest of the race. This was the target i'd initially set myself to ensure that I wouldn't be overtaken at the end of the race. Dark started reeling me in by roughly 1.5 secs a lap, but this wouldn't be enough with 5 laps to go so long as I didn't make any mistakes or get held up by traffic. Thankfully, traffic parted for me and I limped over the line, winning by a slender 2.6 second margin. What a great battle, and definitely the most draining I can remember having in this game. You Dark, are a most worthy adversary :drool:

Elsewhere, Pipeslice had made his way up to 3rd before getting disconnected, a shame as it should have been a 3-way tussle for the win. This promoted my team mate James, or his real name, Mutu20, to the final step of the podium and his first of the championship 👍
He just about held off a superb debut performance fromArdius who came home in 4th. The other debutant to impress was Dark's team mate, MikeTheHockeyFan who finished a solid 6th and picked up good points for Benetton.

Upuaut appeared to crash his car purposefully, I hope he's not getting too frustrated and will be there at Monaco. Jordy7777 like Pipeslice, seemed to get disconnected (a frustrating reality of this championship will be that people getting d/c is always possible). I hope this doesn't discourage you Jordy from the championship.

So all in all an exciting race and many battles fought right throughout the field. Nice full house of 12 drivers which was great but for the connection issues some had. I look forward to seeing you all again at Monaco :) 👍

Brilliant race report! I fully agree that it was an epic and fair race. Gongrats to Shaggy who showed a brilliant pace.
I also want to thank all other drivers for their fair driving. I think we have a really nice championship league at the moment. I think its the right time for monaco now. For me it is one of my favourite circuits cause of its unpredictability and it suits my driving style perfectly.

See you in practice

DarkPSI

Really seems like the only proper way to test and setup a car for this series is to create a private room online and add an AI or two and test during the qualifying session. I have about a five second difference between offline with the RBR car and online with an Equal car.

1:15.3 at Monaco so far on Options

Well my best time around Monaco is 0:00.000 partly because I really can't be arsed to practice :lol:

Really seems like the only proper way to test and setup a car for this series is to create a private room online and add an AI or two and test during the qualifying session. I have about a five second difference between offline with the RBR car and online with an Equal car.

1:15.3 at Monaco so far on Options

How do you do this? I've tried before and when I hit ready, nothing happens? It's like it doesn't let you practice just against AI, do you not need another opponent in the lobby?

How do you do this? I've tried before and when I hit ready, nothing happens? It's like it doesn't let you practice just against AI, do you not need another opponent in the lobby?
Ugh for some reason I thought that worked, but tried it myself today and indeed you need at least two human players.

Same here Shaggy I tryed it before with AI but couldn't actually start the session.

Got some bad news with my wheel already :( the alignment wont centre correctly and keeps moving to the left, so I have to turn the wheel left to keep in a straight line and this gets worse the longer I play, keep having to reset it every so often. I've read online that this was a kind of common problem, so typical for it to happen to me though the day I get it as well. So annoying :crazy:

Same here Shaggy I tryed it before with AI but couldn't actually start the session.

Got some bad news with my wheel already :( the alignment wont centre correctly and keeps moving to the left, so I have to turn the wheel left to keep in a straight line and this gets worse the longer I play, keep having to reset it every so often. I've read online that this was a kind of common problem, so typical for it to happen to me though the day I get it as well. So annoying :crazy:

Seriously? Is it a fault with the wheel? Surely you should be entitled to a replacement? That sucks big balls anyway :(

Yea I done some searching on the internet, apparently it's been quite common, something to do with some screws not done up tight enough, but I don't want to risk opening up the wheel. I've emailed logitech about it just hope they send a replacement now, not amused at all. Nothings ever straight forward is it. :(

Well my DFGT still has that bloody pedal fault :grumpy: I may invest in a G27 later in the year 👍

Well my DFGT still has that bloody pedal fault :grumpy: I may invest in a G27 later in the year 👍

Do you find it really annoying? It feels as though the gears are slipping too theres quite a bit of a grinding feel every now and then, just got to hope Logitech replace it now

Do you find it really annoying? It feels as though the gears are slipping too theres quite a bit of a grinding feel every now and then, just got to hope Logitech replace it now

It's very frustrating especially when you don't know that you're on the brakes 👎

Had a really fun practice with DarkPSI tonight. Monaco is virtually guaranteed to be a bloodbath. There are definitely going to be lots of crashes, crashes that will probably involve drivers who are just minding their own business.

Traffic with backmarkers is also going to be a big issue. With this in mind, it's worth pointing out that the safest places to move over to let someone through are on the main straight, the run down to turn 5 (Mirabeau), the exit of turn 8 (Portier) just before the tunnel and finally the run to turn 12 (tabac).

06monacoencmyk300dpi.jpg

Dark and I are gonna do a practice race on Friday night if anyone else is available?

If anyone is letting me past into Mirabeau, they better not choose the inside! I hope I don't catch anyone there as its the narrowest part of the track! Its also very easy to run wide and hit the barrier that sticks out there, so I'd hesitate to overtake backmarkers there.
I'd say the left hand side going towards Rascasse is a safe spot if you want to let someone past who has followed through the Piscine.

As I said earlier in the thread though, lapping cars here is more about the faster car being patient and respecting the lack of room for people to move over. Basically we are all going to have to accept that we are going to be blocked at some point during qualifying and the race and there is no use getting angry about it - it cannot be avoided.
Same goes for the lapped drivers - don't panic and end up screwing your own race by clipping a barrier with your wing or whatever desperately trying to move out of the way. Just drive normal and wait for a safe place to let people past, its more annoying if you spin or crash in front of a faster car and then cause them to crash out too - if people get angry about being blocked then its their own fault for not realising Monaco isn't exactly easy to find room.

I also propose we do several practice races on race day of 1 lap (say 3 or 4) before we start qualifying so that we practice the first corner with all of us, its going to be a mess if people screw up their braking points so I think its in all of our best interests to do this. Maybe also do it with random grid slots, so people get a feel for starting in different places. I don't think many of us are going to get many clean practice starts with 12 players at Monaco, so it would be nice. 👍 We shouldn't have to do it anywhere else, but here it only takes 1 person to screw up or attempt an optimistic overtake and the whole grid gets caught up.

I should really practice Monaco. Finish work tomorrow at 3pm so I could be ready around 4pm as well as in the evening around 930. I will try and not go to the pub this time.

Umm would it be advisable to wear headsets for this race as a one off?

^I won't be as I hate the distraction of voices in my ear as I try and focus! Its why I also leave the text chat before the race, I really don't need even more flashing messages on screen.

If anyone is letting me past into Mirabeau, they better not choose the inside! I hope I don't catch anyone there as its the narrowest part of the track! Its also very easy to run wide and hit the barrier that sticks out there, so I'd hesitate to overtake backmarkers there.
I'd say the left hand side going towards Rascasse is a safe spot if you want to let someone past who has followed through the Piscine.

As I said earlier in the thread though, lapping cars here is more about the faster car being patient and respecting the lack of room for people to move over. Basically we are all going to have to accept that we are going to be blocked at some point during qualifying and the race and there is no use getting angry about it - it cannot be avoided.
Same goes for the lapped drivers - don't panic and end up screwing your own race by clipping a barrier with your wing or whatever desperately trying to move out of the way. Just drive normal and wait for a safe place to let people past, its more annoying if you spin or crash in front of a faster car and then cause them to crash out too - if people get angry about being blocked then its their own fault for not realising Monaco isn't exactly easy to find room.

I also propose we do several practice races on race day of 1 lap (say 3 or 4) before we start qualifying so that we practice the first corner with all of us, its going to be a mess if people screw up their braking points so I think its in all of our best interests to do this. Maybe also do it with random grid slots, so people get a feel for starting in different places. I don't think many of us are going to get many clean practice starts with 12 players at Monaco, so it would be nice. 👍 We shouldn't have to do it anywhere else, but here it only takes 1 person to screw up or attempt an optimistic overtake and the whole grid gets caught up.

Well said. The reality is that the faster car just needs to be patient in getting past, head-set use is strongly advisable.

Umm would it be advisable to wear headsets for this race as a one off?

I would suggest that Tom, it's going to be very difficult otherwise.

I can do a Friday night practice UK time. Just make sure to give a few hours warning in this thread and I will try to be there. :)

Cool. I'll make it 20:30 UK time for the practice on friday night. Hope to see you all there 👍

Just go back from jujitsu - absolutely ****ed. Don't wait for me this evening for practice, I'm not sure if can face a 50% race.

All my practice will have to be early friday afternoon and Saturday I guess.

A good suggestion for anyone who spins: don't panic, block the track for everyone behind you, or try and turn around.. Just pause the game and reset to track.

sKmW0.jpg

Back