Four Hours: The Nürburgring 4Hr Companion & Competition

• Thread starter Famine
  • 989 comments
You'll get bored being that much faster than the AI. It's best to pick a car/tune that puts you equal to the AI. That makes the race fun and keeps your interest.
Actually my PP was way down (around 530) than AI... the car is just that good lol and missing 15 minutes the power went out for 5 minutes...

Here are some images of the Kings of the Ring.

Amuse S2000 GT1 Turbo
Fastest lap for the race - 8'28.6
Total Race Time - 28 laps - 4:08:08

gt1q.jpg

Audi R8 LMS
Fastest lap for the race - 8'26.3
Total Race Time - 28 laps - 4:08:12

lms.jpg

This is how close they were after 4 hours. 4 seconds at the line. They were never more than 15 seconds apart the whole race.

finishd.jpg

Last edited:
Third attempt.

Mercedes C 63 AMG '08
PP: 485
HP: 400 (power limited)
Mods: Customised transmission, twin plate clutch, semi racing fly wheel.
Tyres: RS
Weight:.....of a small moon.

Fastest lap: 8.58.913
Total laps: 25

Competitors

Mines BNR32 GT-R V-Spec N1 base
FT565 twin turbo TT Audi
Amuse S2000 GT1
400R
Stage II R32
CT230R
Skyline GT-R R-Tune
Nizmo Z Z-tune
BNR32 GT-R N6 base
Gran Turismo Skyline GT-R
Nismo 380RS Super Leggera

The race in a nutshell.

The AMG was more than capable of taking the win although it was in direct competition with the S2000 and the TT for the whole race, which was completed with hardly any errors. The immense torque provides enough grunt to get it out of the corners with good speed. The AMG lead for the majority of the race, fighting back and forth with the TT and S2000 for 1st. Tyre wise it's a 5 lap run before things turn dangerous, on par with the TT. I ran my 4th stint a lap too long hoping that I could make up ground and not have to pit on the last lap as I was expecting to do a 26 lap race. That mistake cost me too much time and eventually the race as that in lap took over 11 minutes. Minus this grave error the AMG would have battled it's way to 1st place seconds ahead of the following TT and S2000.

Full report.

Leaving the start the AMG is relegated to 10th but quickly gains ground on the GP section making it up to 5th before the north loop. The next few laps see the AMG work it's way through the field into 1st early on lap 4.

With the gearing set to reach 193, the AMG's outright pace is a bit less than the TT an S2000's which see it overtaken by the TT on the last corner before the all three cars require new tyres. TT leads by fractions of a second.

Despite the 6.3ltr engine the AMG takes on less fuel than it's rivals and heads out onto the track first with a lead of over 4 seconds. A clean lap sees the 380RS Super Leggera lapped at Klostertal and the S2000 making an appearance in the rear view mirror half way down Dottinger Hohe.

The S2000 piles on the pressure for the whole of lap 7 with the AMG not being able to break away. The exit of the GP sections see the S2000 slide up the inside with a late braking manoeuvre on the entrance to the Hatzenbach where he takes the lead for all of 5 seconds before running wide and leaving a large enough piece of track for the AMG to take back the position. Again the S2000 hounds the rear of the AMG for the whole of lap 8, just lacking the pace to actually make a pass stick.

On lap 9 the TT rejoins the fight, which causes problems for the S2000 and allows the AMG to move away while they fight it out for 2nd. On lap 10 the TT makes a pass on the start/finish straight putting the AMG back to second above the S2000. The TT remains a car length ahead until Wehrseifen where the AMG uses the advantage of having bags of torque to get back into 1st.

New tyres are required on lap 11 for the AMG and the TT but the S2000 doesn't pit and zooms off out of sight. Coming out from the pits earlier than the TT again, lap 11 and 12 are free of traffic with no other cars close in either direction.

Down the straight on lap 13 the TT overtakes until the GP section where it is passed and spends the next two laps less than a second of the rear of the AMG, currently in 2nd.

Fresh rubber needed again, this time for lap 16. The TT pulls a reckless move that spins out the AMG's rear on the very last corner, dropping it into 3rd before chasing the TT into the pit where, again, the TT takes much longer to refuel.

Around the Karussel the S2000 is tip toeing due to being on it's second set of tyres still. It's easily passed for the AMG to take back 1st.

Everything is clean until lap 19 when the TT comes out of nowhere to take the lead. The whole lap is spent chasing it. Across the start/finish line for lap 20 the TT is out of sight with a few seconds in hand.

Feeling still quite manageable the AMG passes the pits without stopping for new rubber and charges on for lap 21. Big mistake. The tyres wear half way around offering no traction at all. The second half of the track is crawled around, trying to avoid the grass, Armco and other cars who are now catching and passing the AMG. Coming into pit on lap 22 shows the AMG to be in 10th place.

Out onto the track with plenty of new grip the AMG ploughs through the pack making it's way back up to 5th place before the leaders cross the line after the time has counted down the four hours.

Final position: 5th.

Conclusion.

The AMG offer a real 'race' in the sense that if you drive it well enough it will contend for the win (with this line up of cars at least). 5 lap stints on the tyres and a good pace make it a fierce rival for the front runners. It does display a small amount of under steer which is probably a result of it's weight or my late braking. The first stint was spent trying to find a groove with the car, having not tested it before hand. Once it's limits are known it really is a fun car to drive. With good competition in this race it seems the shortest (time wise) attempt so far. Without making the mistake of thinking the AMG could run 6 laps on one set of tyres, the victory would have been very narrow, within seconds, and very hard earned.

Last edited:
Oh man I have the one I used to win the first Cappuccino cup series. Love driving that car. I think I'll test it asap, though my next attempt is the R8 5.2 on comfort softs I think. Ran a 9:10 with it this morning in my quick test at 575 pp.

I still have mine too :D

The thought occurred to me, but I don't think it has enough speed. Plus, it's got a very high PP, relative to other cars in the power/weight class.

Agreed. Compared to other cars with the same PP, it is actually much slower. The PP system puts way too much emphasis on the weight of a car like the Cappuccino, and also stuff like the Seven Fireblade, particularly the karts (512PP?!) and many kei cars as well (my Daihatsu MIRA also has 512PP, which is equivalent to that of the BMW M5, Jaguar XKR and Lamborghini Miura :crazy: ).

The PP system puts way too much emphasis on the weight of a car

Agreed. It makes it really hard to beat the PP limit on the first page. Although the cars are light it doesn't necessary mean they are fast. I had a similar problem racing the 111R, it's light but lacks power.

Here goes my first attempt at this race:

RUF CTR2 '96
531BHP/1380kg
543PP
384.78BHP/tonne
Tyres: RS throughout race

Starting grid:
1. RUF CTR Yellow Bird - S. Schwarz
2. NISMO 380RS Super Leggera - T.Weisz
3. 350Z - H. Van Vliet
4. S2000 GT1 - D. Pichon
5. HKS CT230R - P. Vasquez
6. Carbon R (R34) - C. Potts
7. RUF CTR2 - TheBonobo4
8. G37 - H. Laine
9. Skyline GT-R S-Tune (R32) - R. Dupuy
10. S2000 - A. Rothstein
11. OPTION Stream Z - H. Bray
12. S2000 GT1 Turbo - W. Henderson

Initial thoughts: the S2000 GT1 Turbo looks like the main threat, which is what I feared. :scared:

Car is stock, except for RS Tyres (which I'll use throughout the race) and a FC Transmission. I'll post lap times/pit strategy, with some commentary. :)

Lap 1 - 9:12.339
After starting 7th I'm up to 2nd by the end of the first corner. The Yellow Bird is in the lead and is miles ahead, about 4 seconds by Flugplatz. I try and catch him to no avail, but then suddenly as I approach Aremburg I see him in the Gravel trap somehow as I take the lead. By the Karussel it is clear by the view in my rear view mirror that the main rival here is the S2000 GT1 Turbo, with the S2000 GT1 in 3rd. And we fight for the lead up to the finish with me still 1st but only by less than a second.

Lap 2 - 8:58.023
The S2000 continues to hound me and I am no more than 2s ahead at any time. A mild spin puts me into 2nd, but only for 10s as I regain the lead, but then as I enter Dottinger Hohe the slipstream of the RUF causes the gap to fall from 0.5s to 1s where I am now into 2nd after Tiergarten and the gap at the line is about 1.5s. :(

Lap 3 - 9:03.590
The GT1 Turbo storms ahead, with me still in 2nd. Not much to report here other than the GT1 Turbo is 31s ahead at the line.

Lap 4 - 9:20.415 (Pit-In)
At this point I notice this may be a close race, and sadly it may not be a victory. The RUF uses its front tyres up in 4 Laps, the rears are fine. I also noticed I'd used 61L in 4 Laps, so that's 15.25L/lap. I fail to think in time so hurriedly put in 40L of fuel (I would need an extra 22L to do my next stint, so now with 39+40=79L, I'll need 79-61=18, 61-18=43L but I'll put in 45L to be safe. The lap was fine until I spun at Galgenkopf dropping me to 3rd and then 4th after a small spin at Tiergarten where I went off-road at 100MPH. Am now 5th exiting the pits. :(

Lap 5 - 9:44.832 (Pit-Out)
5th exiting the pits, with no sign of 4th or 6th. Around 2 minutes behind, but the front-runners pitted this lap so now 50s behind.

Lap 6 - 8:55.166
A relatively uneventful lap but I catch the 4th place S2000 GT1 after the Karussel and then the NISMO 380RS in 3rd. Up into 3rd with the S2000 GT1 Turbo just about to go onto the Nordschleife around 80s ahead. Close race so far, but looking unlikely for a victory at 55 minutes in. Fastest lap of the race so far thanks to fresh tyres and careful driving. :)

Lap 7 - 9:06.464
I pass the 2nd placed car as he pits. 1st is still far ahead with no sign of catching him up.

Lap 8 - 9:37.668 (Pit-In)
The car feels much slower on worn front tyres, thankfully on a 4 Lap stint they don't wear badly enough to cause "tyre steer". I was in 2nd as I entered the pits for tyres and 46L (I used 83-17=66L on that stint, on second thoughts I may run out on my stint! :scared:), but 3rd is catching me up and will likely overtake. 4th may as he is up to Tiergarten but I doubt 5th will (he's on Dottinger Hohe). 1st is now over 2:40 ahead, and has lapped last place once.

Lap 9 - 9:47.484 (Pit-Out)
Down into 4th exiting the pits. I manage to re-overtake 3rd after Tiergarten.

Lap 10 - 9:06.295
Not much to report here, still 4th. The 1st placed Turbo is now over 4 minutes ahead. :scared: It is clear now I can't possibly win, so I'm hoping for a podium finish.

Lap 11 - 9:10.981
I pass the 3rd placed NISMO after Galgenkopf, and I meet a pleasantly unexpected Yellow Bird in last, who spun and crashed out on this corner. I hit him but it cost me very little time. :)

Lap 12 - 9:38.449 (Pit-In)
Still in 3rd as I enter the pits for tyres and fuel (with just 3L left I opt for an extra 66L of fuel, so this'll probably put me into 5th, as 6th is about to enter Galgenkopf). This seems to be the cycle, down into 5th after pitting then up into 3rd by the time I need to pit again. ;)

Lap 13 - 9:56.581 (Pit-Out)
That long pit stop has cost me, and it looks like I'll need that much each stint. :( Thankfully the guy in the 4th placed NISMO pitted too so I exited the pits in 4th. :) The rest of the lap was uneventyful, although I did re-lap the spinning and crashing last placed Yellow Bird at Bergwerk. Don't know what he is doing but either his tyres are dead or his car is very hard to drive. Still funny if not slightly annoying. :lol: So after 2 Hours here is the top 8 of the grid:
1. Amuse S2000 GT1 Turbo
2. HKS CT230R
3. Amuse S2000
4. Me in the RUF CTR2 (6:30 down on 1st)
5. NISMO 380RS Super Leggera
6. HEP G37
7. S2000
8. Skyline GT-R S-Tune (R32)

Lap 14 - 9:04.960
Not much to report here, still 4th.

Lap 15 - 9:04.479
Same, still 4th. No sign of 3rd or 2nd. :(

Lap 16 - 9:37.472 (Pit-in)
Pitting in for fresh tyres and fuel puts me behind the NISMO in 5th. I take in 63L of fuel and somehow either 2nd and 3rd haven't pitted or it was very quick. 1st pit last lap but is still 6:00 ahead. :( Looks like I'm going to either come 4th or 3rd. :(

Laps 17-20 Unknown Lap Times
I forgot to report the race here. I know I pitted in on lap 20.

Lap 21 - 9:56.473 (Pit-Out)
After pitting out I'm down into 5th. :(

Lap 22 - 9:03.969
The 4th place NISMO pits for some reason, putting me up into 4th. :)

Lap 23 - 9:07.590
Not much going on here. I can't win as I have been lapped, :( though only 25 minutes left! :)

Lap 24 - Unknown Lap Time (Pit-In)
Final pit stop of the race puts me into 5th.

Lap 25 - Unknown Lap Time (Pit-Out)
Not much going on here, for some reason guy in 4th does not pit, so the race is pretty much over. 5 minutes left.

Lap 26 - Unknown Lap Time
I cross the line 5th. End-race results:
1. Amuse S2000 GT1 Turbo
2. HKS CT230R
3. Amuse S2000 GT1
4. NISMO 380RS Super Leggera
5. RUF CTR2 (Me)

Post-Race Notes: The RUF can technically win this I believe, but the Turbo and HKS are far quicker, and the HKS can run 6 Lap stints whereas the RUF must settle for 4. It'd be interesting to see this race done without the Audi R8, Turbo or HKS, and with a more experienced driver (I'm not perfect when I'm doing clean laps, which was quite rare as there were quite a few accidents of mine). The RUF is great to drive, but quite difficult. It chews its front tyres and uses about 16L per lap, which is more than I'd like (ideally 10-12).

Total Race Time: ~04:02:30

Last edited:
Race report July 29th 2011

Car used: Toyota FT-86 Concept '09 "Nür-spec"
Engine: 213pk / 210BHP (203pk/200BHP after the race)
Weight: 1200kg
Performance Points: 415PP (409PP after the race)

Modifications:

More weight
Less power
Racing Soft tyres
Gearbox (advice : 3th & 4th gear are VERY important)
Suspension (advice : keep it soft !)
Clutch, Flywheel & Axle
Brakes : 6/6

========================================

Opponents :

1 - O. Luoma - High End Performance G37
2 - R. Rosario - AEM S2000
3 - U. Bradford - Ruf CTR2 '96
4 - D. Barthelem - BNR Skyline GT-R N1 base '06
5 - C. Golden - IS-F Racing Concept '08
6 - P. Boulanger - Skyline GT-R S-tune (R32) '00
7 - M. Huisman - Toyota FT-86 Concept '09
8 - N. Ponce - Amemiya FD3S RX-7
9 - B. Lang - Nismo 400R '96
10 - T. Russo - S2000 GT1 '04
11 - H. Kidd - Gran Turismo 350Z RS
12 - H. Underwood - Carbon R (R34) '04

Lap1
We head off for T1. Obviously everyone passes me, but I can brake really late and while doing so I jump up to 7th place. Just before the first split I'm in 5th position and in Hatzenbach I get promoted to 2nd position. The CTR2 quickly walks away from all of us. I keep 2nd position for the rest of the lap. Somehow the IS-F is really slow through the slower sections like Hatzenbach - Hocheichen and from Höhe Acht all the way to Schwalbenschwanz.
Laptime: 9:16'273

Lap2
Pretty much uneventful, apart from being blown away by the IS-F on the Döttinger Höhe. That thing moves on straights. But it also chews tyres for breakfast, so no worries. Just before the finishline the Skyline GTR N1 waved goodbye to me while he passes me.
Laptime: 9:05'614

Lap3
At S/F I'm 4th behind the GT-R N1. The CTR2 has a 24.3seconds lead.
Laptime: 9:08'232

Lap4
I overtake the GTR N1 at Hatzenbach like it's parked. The FT-86 is seriously fast through the twisties, especially with fresh-ish tyres. Obviously he's much faster on the straight towards Schwedenkreuz and he tries to pass me on the left but I can go much faster through Schwedenkreuz. I'm able to spread my lead over the GT-R for the whole lap. Sometimes he comes close but it's manageable. But then finally he overtakes me on Döttinger Höhe.
Laptime: 9:10'407

Lap5
Pretty much the same as above. After Angstkurve/Mutkurve I'm about 36 seconds behind the CTR2. The IS-F is struggling and I have to be careful while passing it through Eiskurve. The IS-F looks to be very twitchy on worn tyres. At the end of lap 5 all of the top cars make their pistop including the CTR2. I plan to make an extra lap so I can do 5lap stints for the rest of the race.
Laptime: 9:14'630

Lap6
Oh dear.. my tyres are worn. It understeers a tad too much for my liking and it's hard to hit the apexes without slowing down a lot. This is going slow. The Amuse S2000 GT1 is closing in on me but he also has worn tyres. At the same time the CTR2 plows through the field with fresh tyres and overtakes pretty much everyone. At the end of the lap he's behind me. I make my pitstop and decide to only replace the tyres. No fuel so I can make up a little bit for my slowish lap. The CTR2 passes me while I'm in the pitlane so I'm back to 2nd position while the Amuse S2k GT1 pits behind me.
Laptime: 9:20'174 :ill:

Lap7
I'm able to keep my position. Pretty uneventful now. GT-R N1 faaar behind me. IS-F in 4th position.
Laptime: 9:31'861

Lap8
Same as above.
Laptime: 9:07'102

Lap9
Umm.. the IS-F wakes up and overtakes the GT-R N1. Wow.
Laptime: 9:07'681

Lap10
But of course now his tyres are rubbish and the GT-R N1 overtakes him again. They all make ther 2nd pitstop at the end of the 10th lap. I'm back in 1st position with the Amuse GT1 behind me in 2nd position.
Laptime: 9:11'329

Lap11
Again the CTR2 is very fast on his outlap. He overtakes the Amuse GT1 and at the end of this lap I make my pitstop. Tyres + 25ltr fuel. The CTR2 retakes 1st position but I keep the Amuse GT1 behind me.
Laptime: 9:15'039

Lap12
Boring. The Amuse GT1 pits and falls back to 7th position.
Laptime: 9:32'015

Lap13
The GT-R N1 overtakes the IS-F. I'm pushing pretty hard.
Laptime: 9:04'880

Lap14 About 15 seconds behind the CTR2. I'm 2nd, GT-R N1 3rd, IS-F 4th, AEM S2000 5th and the RX-7 is 6th.
Laptime: 9:10'076

Lap15 I'm starting to shorten the gap towards the CTR2. They all pit again at the end, the CTR2 maintains it's 2nd position, GT-R N1 3rd and the IS-F falls back into 7th position. Ouch.
Laptime: 9:10'135

Lap16
At the end of lap 16 I drive into the pits with a 38 seconds lead. Tyres + 50ltr fuel. Of course the CTR2 overtakes me while pitting.. I'm back into 2nd position.
Laptime: 9:14'453

Lap17 15.3 seconds behind the CTR2. The GT-R N1 is 3rd, Amuse GT1 4th, IS-F 5th and the AEM S2000 in 6th position.
Laptime: 9:45'404

Lap18
Uneventful. I try to drive with 1 hand while drinking my coffee. I succeed. Do not try this in real life. You'll fail. Probably.
Laptime: 9:05'962

Lap19
Blahh.. same.
Laptime: 9:07'953

Lap20
The CTR2 seems to be struggling. I'm only 14 seconds behind at Quiddelbacher Höhe and while entering the Döttinger Höhe it's still 14 seconds. All the top cars pit at the end of this lap and I take 1st spot.
Laptime: 9:11'004

Lap21
As the CTR2 is on the GP track I have a 49 seconds lead. At the Eiskurve it's 40 seconds. Time for a pitstop. Tyres & 35ltr fuel. CTR2 obviously takes the lead. How surprising.
Laptime: 9:14'528

Lap22
The gap is just 7 seconds. I push hard and with some little help from a seriously slow 350Z RS at Brünnchen the gap reduces to about 3 seconds.
Laptime: 9:38'923

Lap23
The CTR2 slowly walks away.. at the end it has a 11 seconds lead.
Laptime: 9:05'195

Lap24
Halfway through lap 24 I'm 16 seconds behind. The GT-R N1 is in 3rd position, 4th = Amuse GT1, 5th = IS-F, 6th = AEM S2000
Laptime: 9:09'017

Lap25
At S/F I'm 19.3 seconds behind the CTR2. I keep it cool and try not to do anything stupid. The CTR2 is making his way to his last pitstop and while entering the long straight I'm only 13 seconds behind. The CTR2 pits and I move into 1st position.
Laptime: 9:12'341

Lap26
At the GP track I have a 49 seconds lead. I take it easy and on the Döttinger Höhe I'm 41 seconds ahead.. the timer shows 00:00 seconds left to drive. It's over. I cross the finish and the CTR2 is 36 seconds behind.
The FT-86 has once again shown it's potential.
Laptime: 9:14'959

Total race time: 4 hours, 25 seconds.

Positions :

1 - M. Huisman - Toyota FT-86 Concept '09 (-6)
2 - U. Bradford - Ruf CTR2 '96 (-1)
3 - D. Barthelem - BNR Skyline GT-R N1 base '06 (-1)
4 - T. Russo - Amuse S2000 GT1 '04 (-6)
5 - R. Rosario - AEM S2000 (+3)
6 - C. Golden - IS-F Racing Concept '08 (+1)
7 - N. Ponce - Amemiya FD3S RX-7 (-1)
8 - O. Luoma - High End Performance G37 (+7)
9 - H. Underwood - Carbon R (R34) '04 (-3)
10 - P. Boulanger - Skyline GT-R S-tune (R32) '00 (+4)
11 - H. Kidd - Gran Turismo 350Z RS (=)
12 - B. Lang - Nismo 400R '96 (+3)

Conclusion:
The FT-86 is a great car, even with just 415PP. With the right modifications and some practice it can be competetive, but you'll have to push it. Do not modify the suspension in such way that it bounces. Even after just installing the race suspension and driving with the default settings, it's too stiff. Soften it up and it'll provide more feedback and confidence. Especially confidence is welcomed in a race where you have to be consistent.

I'm not entirely sure if this race can be won with the FT-86 @ 410PP.

Last edited:
Damn your eyes. Now I have to find a 41x PP car to win the race.

*grumbles*

What are the chances of you find both the S200 GT1 Turbo and the R8 LMS Race Car?

What are the chances of you find both the S200 GT1 Turbo and the R8 LMS Race Car?

I don't know what the chances are, but it's happened to me twice. The first time it happened I just parked and let those 2 fight it out to see who really was the top dog, without me entering into the equation. I posted the results here: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=5649960#post5649960

The next time it happened was this morning. I was about to start a low hp record run and they both popped up in the lineup. So like an idiot I accepted the challenge. I'm about to start writing the report on that one. I'll have it up soon.

Last edited:
I'm on the 3rd lap with my Lancer Evo VI TM SCP '99 fighting those two dogs... I was ONLY fighting with the S2000 GT1 Turbo, but now the R8 came...

Low Horsepower Record

Car: Suzuki GSXR/4
160hp 499PP
Race Soft Tires
Weight: 594kg
269hp/tonne

GSXRwin.jpg

The only 3 AI cars that mattered were the R8 LMS, the Amuse GT1 Turbo, and the Yellow Bird.

I was going to run 140hp but I bumped it up to go against the LMS and GT1 Turbo.

Lap Time Gap Notes
1: 8’48.5 -1.0 I was in front for most of the lap. The LMS caught me just before the line.
2: 8’36.4 -8.2
3: 8’41.7 -19.7 Passed by the GT1 Turbo, now 3rd.
4: 8’53.8 -40.8 Hopped the inside curb in Mutkurve, spun out.
5: 8’47.5 -18.8 I close the gap this lap, catching up to the GT1 and passing him in Kleines Karussel, but he dusts me off on Dottinger. LMS and GT1 Turbo pit. I pass them both in the pits.
6: 8’50.7 +24.9
7: 8’56.1 +0.3 Came around the kink in Sprunghugel to find the Yellow Bird sideways in the track. I couldn’t avoid him so several seconds lost. This will be the last time I run a race with that clown car in it. It seriously impacts my enjoyment of the race to constantly avoid this spinning yellow idiot at random intervals. But I stayed ahead of the LMS and dove into the pits. And then… I didn’t realize that you could change your fuel and tire settings while paused. I paused the game to calculate fuel mileage and I was amazed to find I could make it the whole way with only 16 liters per stop. I decided to do 17 to be safe. When I went to unpause the game, instead I hit OK to 37 liters. I was so mad! That was not only going to cost me 20 extra seconds in the pits, but I was going to go out with a full fuel load that I didn’t want. I literally cursed about this for 2 laps.
8: 9’21.9 -46.5
9: 8’41.7 -47.3
10: 8’44.7 -21.6 I close the gap, catching sight of the GT1 Turbo. LMS and GT1 Turbo pit and I pass them.
11: 8’54.3 +18.5
12: 8’50.4 -0.7 LMS passed me at the line.
13: 8’50.7 -16.0 Crossed the line with the GT1 right behind me. He passed me but I passed him back in the Arena. He passed me back on Haztenbach. I stayed behind him for a while but couldn't hold onto him.
14: 8’55.2 -31.3 Pitted. No fuel.
15: 9’00.4 -21.7 Caught sight of the GT1 again but this time he stayed in front of me and pulled away down Dottinger again. LMS and GT1 Turbo pit and I pass them again.
16: 8.41.4 +31.3
17: 8’47.9 +14.9
18: 8’53.0 -2.0 Passed the spinning Yellow Bird again. LMS passed me on Dottinger.
19: 8’50.8 -11.9 GT1 was behind me but couldn't quite catch me on Dottinger this time.
20: 8’52.6 +4.1 I caught and passed the LMS on his worn out tires. LMS and GT1 Turbo pit.
21: 8’55.6 +42.9 After the LMS and GT1 pit I have a big lead but then I pit and give much of it away. 15 liters.
22: 8’59.0 +15.4
23: 8’40.3 +11.2
24: 8’56.9 -4.8 The LMS catches me and punts me out of the way. Thanks Buddy.
25: 8’52.7 +11.8 LMS and GT1 Turbo pit and I pass the LMS in the pits again.
26: 8’51.2 +55.0
27: 8’51.6 +34.9
28: 8’52.9 +18.1 The LMS closes the gap but can't catch me.

My race time is 4:7'59.9. The LMS was 4:8'18. The GT1 Turbo was ~4:8'35

Last edited:
I just finished the race :) Here is my report.

The car I choose:

Ferrari F430 '06

Tuning:

Sports ECU, Engine Tuning LVL1, Sports Intake Manifold, Racing Air Filter, Sports Exhaust Manifold, Catalytic Converter: Sports, Titanium Racing Exhaust, Full Racing Transmission,

Power: 333BHP at the race start - 317 at the end.
Weight: 1450 kg
Racing Soft Tyres
PP: 492 at the race start - 485 at the end.

Line-up:

1. M.Delgado Mines BNR34
2. O.Gruber GTR S Tune R32
3. M.Collier Carbon R 34
4. W.Brandt Option Stream Z 04
5. L.Vuorinen FT65 TwinTurbo Audi TT
6. U.Cirillo Amemiya FD3s RX7
7. Me F430 '06
8. K.Patel AEM S2000
9. V.Johansson Corvette'60
10. V.Kwiatkowski Mines Lancer Evo VI
11. U.Pellegrino Opera performance 350Z
12. H.Ziegler Amuse S2000 GT1

LAP1:

9'03.512 - I got overtaken by two cars right after the race start but got to 6th position on first turn (clean way of course) - on the inside - RS tyres :) - overtook 3 cars on left hander, overtook Carbon R34 on the exit from U turn, overtook Mines BNR34 just after 5th checkpoint.
Unfortunately from this point the whole race was all about me getting bigger and bigger gap... I understood that on 2nd lap but decided to continue because this was my first attempt to the race and I wanted to win it - also I could get some good AVG speed result ... ;) - next time will make the car a bit less powerful...
Before the race I had planned to PIT every 4th LAP but during the race it turned out that if I was easy on tyres I could even do 5 LAPS on RS - therefore I decided to PIT after laps 4-9-13-18-22 (4-5-4-5-4), during the course of the race I understood it was going to be 27 laps race.
I was 6.36s ahead of 2)Delgado 3)Collier 4)Brandt

LAP 2:

8'53.910 13,49 ahead of 2)Delgado 3)Collier 4)Brandt

LAP 3:

9'05.882 - one spin which costed me 11s

LAP 4:

9'05.045 I PIT in. Since I do not really know what is the fuel capacity of F430 in the game (90 or 100l from what I saw) I did calculations for both versions and I think it is 90l.. - I had to add 38l per PIT and I did so in average but on first PIT it was 36 on 2nd 40l, after that 38 (except last PIT)

LAP 5:

9'31.762 Delgado PITs in, Vourinen PITs in.

LAP 6:

9'.01.444 I spin a little - 6s lost, I'm 1min2s ahead of Delgado, Ziegler PITs in.

LAP 7:

8'54.006 1min12s ahead of Delgado, Vourinen, Ziegler

LAP 8: 8'57.832 1min13s - Delgado, Vourinen, Ziegler

LAP 9: 9'07.985 I PIT in 28s ahead of Delgado, Vourinen, Ziegler

LAP 10: 9'35.329 -1min32s Ziegler; Delgado PITs in, Vourinen PITs in

LAP 11: 8'47.321 - my best LAP in the race -1min49s Ziegler

LAP 12: 9'10.240 - spin 13s lost, I doubled Evo but it un-doubled himself when I got of the track, I'm -2min3s Delgado, V, Z

LAP 13: 9'15.719 - I spin again because I got distracted by some PMs and by taking the race notes.. :/ 11s lost, Evo gets me again and I lap him again later on the lap. I PIT in.

LAP 14: 9'37.010

LAP 15: 8.54.644 again I spin and loose 7s, I lap Corvette on the chicane before the start/finish straight.

LAP 16: 8.50.795

LAP 17: 8.54.662 -3min2s D, V, Z

LAP 18: 9'18.322 - used my tyres too much during this 5lap sequence hence 9'18. I PIT in. -2min.7s D, V, Z

LAP 19: 9'30.510

LAP 20: 8'52.128 - I wanted to have the best lap but got off the track slightly 3 times + I doubled Option stream just before the straight, he then overtook me on the straight and I had to lap him again on the chicane and on the beginning of the next lap.

LAP 21: 9'08.050 - 3 little spins 9s lost,

LAP 22: 9'37.009 -1min40s Ziegler !! - he did not PIT in for some time now and got quite close to me, I PIT in + I have forgot that this is 4th lap on the tires and I spin at a fast turn, around 20s lost, 38 minutes to go so I knew I was going to do 5 more laps, I had 1/4th of 90liters I added 40 l - the mpg was so far 10,22 l/lap so I should have 11,4l left at the end of the race – to be on a save side... :)

LAP 23: 9'43.008 - Option un-doubled himself when I was in the pits, had to lap him again + had to be really easy on tires since I knew it was going to be 5 laps..., doubled white 350z just before 3 right handers 15s before 4th checkpoint, he did not waned to give me space...; Ziegler overdone with the tires and he was 2min14s behind me when I was on turn 1 of lap 24 although I was very gentle on my tires, he was loosing 10s per checkpoint...he PIT in and Vourinen was 2min37s behind me, he exchanged immediately with Delgado – they must have had some fight for 2nd position – 27minutes to go and I am at checkpoint 5 of lap 24

LAP 24: 8'.57.321 gentle on my tires …

LAP 25: 8'.54.030 - oil lamp is not up yet but this is either in my head or engine sound changed. It is higher then when the race started, especially during down-shifting. I doubled two cars that PITed just in front of me, 3rd car 3turns ahead 4th 5 turns ahead 11min.11s to go – 2 laps left,I'm around -2min55s ahead of Delgado,Vurinen,Ziegler

LAP 26: 9'11.438 - spin, 15s lost, Delgado and Vourinen PIT in Ziegler 3min44s behind me, I cross the line 2 minutes before time, 2nd place is 3min27s behind me if he wins I will be MAD.. I don't know the way this race finishes, maybe I should have had waited in front of finish line for 2 minutes ?? I will know the answers in 3min27s... - I fall down to 6th position when other drivers finish the race but on the finish line I move up to where I belong :)

I win.

1.Me
2.Ziegler
3.Delgado
4.Vourinen

Total race time 4h6min59,681s
27 LAPS

I was 3.min30s ahead of 2nd position + I have lost around 1min due to going off the track - I wonder how much should I lower the BHP for my next try with this car?...

Famine - how about "the heaviest car used" leaderboard ? or mileage per PP ?.. :)

Lotrzyna
Famine - how about "the heaviest car used" leaderboard ?

I've run it in the Mercedes AMG C 63. That thing weighs in the same as a sperm whale!

Lotrzyna
The car I choose: Ferrari F430 '06

With all of those modifications that car is well to fast. My first attempt was in the 430 Scudaria* with no mods and a 60k ballast. It completely obliterated both the GT1 Turbo and the LMS.

*Report to come when I have a spare 4 hours to watch the replay.

First post updated with new races and AI data.

Famine - how about "the heaviest car used" leaderboard ? or mileage per PP ?.. :)

There's so many statistical analyses I could do on these races to "prove" which is the "best" effort, but I think it'd detract from the fun of the thread - I suspect that the Tommy kaira run would prove to be statistically the "best" because of the handicap weighting of the tyres, but I don't feel that was even my best effort (though the grin I had when I realised the win was all but certain was the biggest) let alone the best effort.

So for now we'll just stick with showing people what the least car others can win with is. I know it might be suggested that your race was overkill, but you approached it not knowing what the least you could win with was and already - in the write-up of your race, no less - you're talking of trying again in less car. That's exactly what this thread tries to encourage and you're a perfect example :D

I'm taking a few days off for some other, real-world things so I might not be adding people's races to the first post until next weekend. Have no fear if you don't get added - I'll be back. I might have another bash myself nearer that time - I'm only five attempts away from level 40 now :lol:

Famine
So for now we'll just stick with showing people what the least car others can win with is. I know it might be suggested that your race was overkill, but you approached it not knowing what the least you could win with was and already - in the write-up of your race, no less - you're talking of trying again in less car. That's exactly what this thread tries to encourage and you're a perfect example :D

That's the spirit and the reason I enjoy reading this thread so much though I don't reply to each individual poster. The competition is an added bonus to me and it encourages to think outside of the box, but one should never forget the Nordschleife is a terribly complex track to learn and everyone who is willing to spend 4 hours in front of a video game and taking on the race in any car other than the X2010 or similar has achieved quite something. So hats off to everyone who tries to tackle this race in a competitive car. Just speaking for myself I drive the Nordschleife in video games since GT4 and still haven't found a golden perfect lap :)

First post updated with new races and AI data.

I did that second race with less car - just finished.

Sorry for fallowing cpsl but:

WHAT A RACE!!

I tuned down my F430 to 271BHP and added 30kg to have 1480kg and have

183,11 BHP/tone :sly:

I won!! :) by only 10s on last checkpoint and probably by around 7s at finish line

This time i did not take notes to not get distracted but replay is of course saved and I will someday watch it and write about it, all I know is my best lap was 8.58.xxx with slipstream, I had 2 spinouts and about 5 going off the track, total race time was 4h1minXXs, I was starting from 7th and S2000GT1 from 3rd but it did not take 2nd place!! - 6 laps is too much for the tyres in this car, FT56 twin turbo was 2nd, and it was who I really raced against since around lap9 - considering it was 2nd at the start, during the whole race I gained about 30s to him - 1,17s per lap... :)
I got to p1 only around LAPs 15 20 and on 26th :) - I had 23s gap starting last lap. This race is a great way to learn driving fast on wasted tyres and under pressure :) he was of course gaining to me mostly during straight parts but I wasn't loosing nor gaining in turns. He was on his fresh tyres mine were doing their 5th LAP In the first phase of the race I was hard on my tyres and I lost some time during two 5th laps therefore I had no choice but be more gentle, also I had to do one 6laps turn and I did - fortunately did not loose a lot on that 6th lap.
I already have an idea for next car to try :) - btw - I hit lvl39 after the race :)

No problem, but can you put that the S2000 GT1 Turbo was in the race. :)

There. Fixed that for you.

Remember, Famine is doing us all a favor by keeping these stats. If there are any corrections needed, we ask nicely. :sly:

The Grumpy Face was meant as a sign of me being grumpy about him being in the race, not about Famine keeping the original post updated. :)
Remember, Famine is doing us all a favor by keeping these stats.
I know, it helps a lot and I appreciate it! :)

The Grumpy Face was meant as a sign of me being grumpy about him being in the race,

I still haven't run this race without the R8 LMS. I like having the faster competition.

But I will be doing a new low hp run without the 2 brutes. I think I can go as low as 120hp if I don't have to beat those 2. And it would be even better if the CTR2 isn't there either.

EDIT: Just ran a test at 120hp. 3 laps averaging 9'06. That's good enough to beat the "normal" cars in this event, with a safety margin in case I screw up.

Last edited:
About to try now in a 400PP Suzuki Swift Sport '07 @ 177HP 398PP Nissan March. I added mods to make it a bit more competetive, I just hope the GT1 Turbo or LMS don't show up!

Last edited:
shem
About to try now in a 400PP Suzuki Swift Sport '07 @ 177HP 398PP Nissan March. I added mods to make it a bit more competetive, I just hope the GT1 Turbo or LMS don't show up!

Just back out and in until they aren't there. Simples :D

Although I doubt you can win even without them there. 400PP isn't enough to beat, let's say, CT230R, TT, maybe Mine's Skylines. But see where you can finish.

I tried building up a March SR to 399PP a month ago and it just plain wasn't fast enough - 9'28 laps. The only way I can think of to make it happen is to max it out and then use the power limiter to bring it back and, I have to be honest, I don't want to do that because it smells a bit cheaty.

The power limiter system is... a breach of the laws of physics regarding engines. What it does in GT5 is limit the peak power only so that when it goes above the peak you set, it flats off. The engine retains its torque curve and peak - which is impossible, as lbft * rpm/5252 = hp. The net result is that you can have a 400PP example of a car running 200hp@6000rpm and 180lbft@2500rpm, as it should or a 400PP example of the same car running 170hp@2000-6500rpm and 400lbft@2500rpm - a slight peak horsepower deficit but a significant benefit from almost never being in the wrong gear and from running a massive horsepower increase everywhere in the rev range except for the peak. A 50% power limited Veyron will be a faster car (if you can turn it) than a built-up 500hp car or a built-up car of the same PP as the limited Veyron.

On a personal note I don't like it either as it changes the characteristics of the engine and the car - I like all the stock flaws and foibles of cars, but that's why I rarely tune them anyway :D I only ever use the power limiter at 95% or more - to bring a slight-too-powerful car back into the zone without changing its character.

If you're not doing it that way, and I was just too slow in my March, fill your boots. If you are doing it that way, I'm not sure I'd want to add it.

Famine
I only ever use the power limiter at 95% or more - to bring a slight-too-powerful car back into the zone without changing its character.

If you're not doing it that way, and I was just too slow in my March, fill your boots. If you are doing it that way, I'm not sure I'd want to add it.

I second this. Stock cars are a very helpful reference point because they allow for upgrades if one finds one needs a bit of a hand to account for different skill levels. Same with tyres compounds.

The competition element sure is fun, but it would negate the value of this thread as a reference guide for me.

Back