7th GTP F1 World Championship (F1 2010 edition) * SEASON FINISHED :'''( *

Glad to see other racers being epic sax guy fans haha

Have you seen the 10 hour Nayan cat also? Or the 10 hour Amazing Horse 👍

MikeTheHockeyFan;5749280[COLOR="Red"
]There's just no reliable means to use a fake safety car unless 2011 allows for a spectator (steward) for the race to sit in and watch from the beginning. [/COLOR] Gran Turismo 5's online room has really spoiled console users who run multiplayer leagues. Much more of a PC racing sim setup. F1 2011 will be good but not as flexible in the online room setup.

Safety Car has been confirmed.
It can also be used online.
You cannot drive it however.

Well my new G27 arrived today and i've really mixed feelings about it. The construction of the wheel itself is great, feels much nicer than before. But the FFB doesn't seem to simulate any sense of cornering forces like my G25 did, at least in F1 2010. This makes it hard to gauge by feel how much speed can be carried into and out of a fast corner. For example turn 1 at Suzuka or Spoon corner feel more difficult than before to get consistently right. The FFB over the kerbs is the same as with the G25, but cornering forces are gone, which makes it feel very 'gamey' and cold - less immersive :indiff:

I might actually revert to the G25 for the rest of this championship as i'm more confident with it, and save the G27 for F1 2011 where i'll need it for kers and DRS. I really hope that this is fixed for F1 2011 👎

Well my new G27 arrived today and i've really mixed feelings about it. The construction of the wheel itself is great, feels much nicer than before. But the FFB doesn't seem to simulate any sense of cornering forces like my G25 did, at least in F1 2010. This makes it hard to gauge by feel how much speed can be carried into and out of a fast corner. For example turn 1 at Suzuka or Spoon corner feel more difficult than before to get consistently right. The FFB over the kerbs is the same as with the G25, but cornering forces are gone, which makes it feel very 'gamey' and cold - less immersive :indiff:

I might actually revert to the G25 for the rest of this championship as i'm more confident with it, and save the G27 for F1 2011 where i'll need it for kers and DRS. I really hope that this is fixed for F1 2011 👎

i know exactly what your saying,might be one reason why I'm not consistent.i have both g27 and fanatec gt3 rs2 with clubsport pedals,and the ffb and feel with the cars is terrible the g27 being better for this game but still crap and fanatec best for all other Sims.i ve started playing gt5 again just to see and the feel is much much better you can feel every bump and know exactly what to do and expect.ive now realised how poor the physics and ffb are with this game.before anyone says it yes I do have the latest firmware for the fanatec and its still not good enough.i too am hoping this is sorted for 2011.

i know exactly what your saying,might be one reason why I'm not consistent.i have both g27 and fanatec gt3 rs2 with clubsport pedals,and the ffb and feel with the cars is terrible the g27 being better for this game but still crap and fanatec best for all other Sims.i ve started playing gt5 again just to see and the feel is much much better you can feel every bump and know exactly what to do and expect.ive now realised how poor the physics and ffb are with this game.before anyone says it yes I do have the latest firmware for the fanatec and its still not good enough.i too am hoping this is sorted for 2011.

Well that's interesting Pipe. So you're saying the G27 is great for GT5? I've yet to try it, and I wonder if it's any better than the G25 for it. I'll be gutted though if F1 2011 carries through this lack of 'feeling' - funny that I never even noticed this before (the G25 is the only experience i've ever known of F1 2010) that I react to the car through the FFB - it really isn't just a superficial experience, it really affects your driving. It took me to try the game on the G27 to realise how much I rely on this 'feedback'.

Interestingly, the wheel feels more precise or something in terms of direction, like maybe there's a slight dead zone on the G25 that isn't on the G27, or maybe it's just the smoother 'helical' gears it uses, or maybe it's just the lack of weight in it that's making the steering seem easier - whatever it is, i'm still able to produce roughly the same lap times but I just don't feel as comfortable with it, I feel like i've less control of the car and for that reason it's not as fun as before.

Hey gents, I was given an excellent trade-in/preorder deal at a local games store, so unfortunately for racing the league I no longer own F1 2010 and will have to sit out the rest of our 2010 championship season.

However, F1 2011 is a day-1 purchase from me and I would love it if I could keep a slot for the inevitable 2011 season coming in September/October. I can't wait to actually share a livery and pit garage with my team mate online :D

👍

Just watching your driving Ken, it's very smooth and consistent, and when I watch it with the volume turned down, I struggle to see how I can be up to 4 seconds faster because you're getting your braking points and hitting the apexes nicely - but when I hear the engine I realise where you're losing the time. You're not getting on the throttle early enough basically. I realise it's not as simple as just correcting that by stepping on the throttle earlier from now on, but it's something I think you'd need to focus on if you want to go any faster. Sometimes i'm guilty of going into a corner too slowly, such is my obsession with getting on the throttle early, when with some corners the exit isn't really all that important. But you'd knock a fair bit off your lap times if you got on the throttle fractionally earlier on each corner - that adds up to quite a lot of lap time. Just a tip from one racer to another 👍

Hey gents, I was given an excellent trade-in/preorder deal at a local games store, so unfortunately for racing the league I no longer own F1 2010 and will have to sit out the rest of our 2010 championship season.

However, F1 2011 is a day-1 purchase from me and I would love it if I could keep a slot for the inevitable 2011 season coming in September/October. I can't wait to actually share a livery and pit garage with my team mate online :D

👍

Dang, that sucks Mike that you're leaving, but thanks for your participation anyway and i'm sure we'll get racing again in the new game 👍

Dang, that sucks Mike that you're leaving, but thanks for your participation anyway and i'm sure we'll get racing again in the new game 👍
Yeah it pains me to sit out since you are a good group of guys and some great racing competition 👍

Keep me in the loop as far as possible 2011 league stuff. I would be happy to donate my time to stuff like keeping standings spreadsheets updated or doing logos or website stuff as well as participating.

Hello chaps, is it possible to join?

I have done a few online leagues with F1 2010 but have really been looking for one with a total ban on driver aids which this looks to be more or less.

What times in the week do you guys race?

Hello chaps, is it possible to join?

I have done a few online leagues with F1 2010 but have really been looking for one with a total ban on driver aids which this looks to be more or less.

What times in the week do you guys race?

Hey Paul, yeah there's a slot or two free if you would like. We race at 8pm UK time. Only 4 races left but it'd be great if you could make them all. Let me know if you can do this.

Thanks

Hey Paul, yeah there's a slot or two free if you would like. We race at 8pm UK time. Only 4 races left but it'd be great if you could make them all. Let me know if you can do this.

Thanks

I reckon I probably could, time depending.

What day of the week are the races?
What are my car choices and is the car performance set to level?

And when is the next race?

Just a heads up guys, won't be making it this weekend sadly. I'm pretty gutted that its Suzuka I'm missing as I love it, its by far one of the greatest race tracks in the world. I'd actually say it is the best race track still in active use today at the top-level. I love each and every corner on it and I could race on it every day..in fact I did just that on GT5 Prologue racing online!

Scheduling suggestions
  • 10 races over the course of 2 1/2 months
  • Eliminate the lowest 2 finishes of each driver when calculating points in case someone needs to be absent or is hungover often on Sundays :sly:
  • Popular, marquee circuits (Spa, Monza, Monaco, Canada, etc) always on season calendar
  • Rotate 4 or 5 tracks in and out of the calendar each season based on driver offseason input
  • Keep the 50% distance and do one race a week to allow adequate time for practice during the week

In-race suggestions
  • All empty human slots filled with intermediate AI drivers on race day, all races filled out with AI drivers to reach a full 24-car field (more lapped traffic, more strategy, more overtaking) (AI drivers are not counted in standings and do not score championship points)
  • One lap formation lap (after leaving the grid) and then a rolling start on Lap 2 in heavy rain conditions
  • Award all running cars finishing a race bonus points to discourage rage-quitting after an accident and a small running field during long, 50% races

I prefer these ideas of removing the worst finishes, etc instead of penalising drivers for missing races. But even still, I don't see the point - generally this won't change anything as far as championship tables are concerned.

The same goes for "race finish bonus points" - isn't giving points for finishing position already this anyway? Anyone that rage quits won't change their attitude because of this, as they would already try and finish the race simply because they normally can easily still score points just for finishing 10th or whatever. The only solution for people that quit prematurely is for them to calm down and take their time - its their problem, not anything with the championship or the rules.

I guess I wouldn't mind rotating tracks and limiting the number...but inevitably someone will always like a certain track. Perhaps make a seperate championship just for running "classics"? But I don't think this series should change to that. I think the only track that has universal dislike is Singapore and perhaps Catalunya - though there are still people who like those tracks (I don't mind them though Catalunya has forever been a weak track for me). I think we'd have difficulty agreeing on which tracks to run.

I don't see the point in having rolling starts for rain conditions becase:
1. It doesn't make the situation any easier or better - its inevitable that someone will screw up due to the spray and miss their braking point. I'd actually say it makes it worse because with a standing start the spray is generally less than at full racing speed. Ok, the cars are more closely-bunched but its better visibility.
2. Its again (like the fake safety cars) complicated and awkward to organise. Some people will feel more disadvantaged than others.
Not to mention we haven't really had many heavy rain race starts anyway in this game.

Lastly, I'm dead against AI being included because they are extremely ruthless online (presumably because of lag issues) - they will cut you up and take you out far more than they do offline. I don't know if you've ever tried racing the AI online, but its not fun.
I also don't think it adds anything to the races, its just an annoyance that gets in the way of our battles. It doesn't feel a fair fight if I'm getting attacked or held up by AI cars. I didn't mind it so much in F1:CE because it was handy to allow people to jump into the game mid-race but I don't see the point here. I think its just going to cause more frustration when people are taken out or slowed by the AI getting in the way.

Hey Lads, just taken delivery of my G27 :) However I'll have to wait until I'm in the UK to see how it is on F1 2010, judging by Shaggy's posts it's not fantastic, we'll have to wait and see....

GTP 7th F1 World Championship - Round 15 - Singapore

15singaporeencmyk300dpi.jpg

Weather - Dry qualifying, raining mid-race onwards.

Qualifying Results:

Pole - Pipeslice (Jordan) - 1:40.325 (10 pts)

2nd. - Shaggy Alonso (Tyrrell) - 1:40.745 (8 pts)

3rd. - Baumi27 (Brawn) - 1:42.089 (6 pts)

4th. - Ardius (Brawn)- 1:44.241 (5 pts)

5th. - kcheeb (Hesketh)- 1:47.411 (4 pts)

6th. - Mutu20 (Tyrrell) - No time set

Race Results:

1st. Shaggy Alonso (Tyrrell) (25 pts) = 55m32.852s
2nd. Baumi27 (Brawn) (18 pts) + 81.2s
3rd. Ardius (Brawn) (15 pts) + 2 laps
4th. kcheeb (Hesketh) (12 pts) + 2 laps
5th. Pipeslice (Jordan) (0 pts) DNF
6th. Mutu20 (Tyrrell) (0 pts) DNF

Qualifying:

During practice, I realised I wouldn't get a huge amount of time to tweak my set-up, so I focused mainly on making sure I was fully familiar with the track as I'm a firm believer than set-up can only improve you so much so long as you're getting the most out of the track and your base set-up to begin with - there's more time to be found in simply exploring your own limits of the circuit. It's the only track in the game where you will probably find a full 3-4 seconds by the time you're fully dialed in compared to what your first exploratory laps were like. It's also an excruciatingly difficult track to nail down what feels like a representative lap of what you're capable of. There's just so many places where you can easily make a mistake and lose lots of time that hooking up a good lap isn't so much about pushing to find tenths, but rather driving cleanly so as to not lose any.

I intended to do 3 flying laps in total as the long lap doesn't give you enough time in the session to do much else. I however made an amateur hour mistake on my outlap, dropping it on a kerb and getting in everyone's way in the little tunnel between turns 18/19. This damaged my front wing so i'd have to pit immediately and fill up for 2 consecutive laps. My first lap was an OK time, I set about beating it with vigour at the start of my second lap but over cooked it into turn 3 and spun again.

So I fuelled up for another single lap run when Pipeslice banged in a great time to clear me by half a second. It wasn't an alien-like time that i've seen him produce in the past when I've known it'd be physically impossible to beat, but I did find it highly unlikely that I could crack it all in one lap, and of course who's to say he couldn't have gone quicker as well? Well I failed miserably, doing a horrible first sector, an average middle one and a good 3rd sector to improve by a tenth, but left me frustratingly short of what I knew I could have done - but I bet everyone felt this way too, maybe even Pipeslice as well. There was a predictably massive field spread in terms of lap time here because of the tricky nature of the circuit and the long lap. My team mate, Mutu20 got d/c so we decided we would restart the grid with a random order, which was sure to spice things up a bit.

Race:

The curved ball thrown to us in the form of a random grid resulted in the starting order as follows:

1st. Mutu20
2nd. Ardius
3rd. kcheeb
4th. Pipeslice
5th. Baumi27
6th. Shaggy Alonso

It was a tricky decision whether or not to start the race on primes or options. The primes could work a treat as it was likely to rain at some stage, and generally they're the best option if you're going to encounter traffic at the start which I would be, starting from last. However, what swayed me into starting on the options was the fact that a 2 stopper here was a valid strategy because of the high deg on the tyres - this gave me either option of pressing on with a 2 stopper if it stayed dry, or minimising the hurt of an extra pit-stop if it rained because my second stint would be on options. What really swayed me though, was if the race stayed dry, and I crashed early on with the primes then i'd have to pit again twice, whereas if I crashed on the first lap with the option tyres I could fit the primes and try and go till the end. All in all, starting on the options seemed to give me more strategic flexibility so that's the route I went down.

I got a nice start off the line but avoiding trouble was to be my main priority. Baumi27 was typically brave into turn 1 and picked up two places from 5th, and was soon up to second when Ardius had a sideways moment out of turn 3. I got past kcheeb and Pipeslice when they both fought for turn 2 so I just drove round them and then had to avoid Ardius with a dart to the right while he was having his moment. Mutu20 couldn't hold the lead beyond turn 8 where he crashed and wrecked his front wing (he picked the wrong circuit not to get any practice at) so Baumi assumed it with myself behind, closely followed by Pipeslice. However, Pipeslice crashed into the wall at 18 and I was now free to focus on attacking Baumi who was showing good pace. It wasn't a given that I would get past him as he was defending well, and it wasn't until the third lap where I got into a position to make a move. I gained on him through the first few corners then crucially was earlier on the throttle out of turn 5. This plus my low wing settings (I definitely should have run more downforce in hindsight) meant I had a good run on him up the inside of turn 7. We made very light contact but no drama. Baumi held onto the inside line for turn 8 but he braked too late and I did the switch back on him and was through. I started dropping him steadily, but in the second half of my first stint I wasn't able to increase the gap as I was making lots of small errors with plenty of sideways moments as the tyres were going off. Elsewhere during this first stint, both Pipeslice and Mutu20 totalled their cars which left us with a measly 4 participants.

The rain started as early as lap 7 so I held out until lap 11 when it became wet enough to switch to the appropriate rubber. Initially the car felt great, dropping Baumi again, but within a few laps I was struggling again making lots of mistakes, at one point dropping it and damaging my front wing. I pitted again around lap 20 onto newer tyres and briefly slotted in behind Baumi, but on the new tyres and the fixed front wing I was about 1.5 secs per sector faster than him and in no time he dived into the pits to do the same. I drove till the end on this set which again became knackered - clearly the wet tyres don't have a lot of life in them.

A disappointing race in all because of the poor turn out. It's worth noting that Tyrrell racing have now won the teams' championship as they cannot be caught. Congrats to my team mate Mutu20 on our achievement 👍
Brawn have now leapfrogged Jordan for 3rd position thanks to the fantastic recent performances of its drivers Ardius and Baumi27. I'm nearing the drivers championship, I believe anything less than a DarkPSI victory at Suzuka will mean it's over. Funny that so many title showdowns come down to Suzuka - what a track.

Race Footage
Courtesy of kcheeb:

kcheeb's race:

Marina Bay Qualifying: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RJpJC_-9LM
Marina Bay Race Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fU7VRtaYE-s
Marina Bay Race Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0Mz16qfpXg

And here are the tables:

The Championship Tables (As of round 15):

Drivers Championship

1st. Shaggy Alonso - 456 pts
2nd. DarkPSI - 330 pts
3rd. Pipeslice - 277 pts
4th. Baumi27 - 253 pts
5th. Mutu20 - 196 pts
6th. Ardius - 106 pts
7th. kcheeb - 85 pts
8th. Tombrooks97 - 68 pts
9th. AliT12 - 50 pts
10th. MikeTheHockeyFan - 44 pts
11th. Upuaut - 36 pts
12th. NumbPhase - 34 pts
13th. pj-gm - 26 pts
14th. DOUQA - 19 pts
15th. Jerry786 - 12 pts
16th. Shark33 - 3 pts
17th. Manios22DC - 2 pts
18th. jordy7777 - 2 pts

Teams Championship

1st. Tyrrell - 652 pts - Shaggy Alonso, Mutu20
2nd. Benetton - 374 pts - DarkPSI, MikeTheHockeyFan
3rd. Brawn - 361 pts - Baumi27, Manios22DC, Ardius
4th. Jordan - 360 pts - Tombrooks97, Pipeslice, Jerry786, Shark33
5th. Hesketh - 140 pts - kcheeb, NumbPhase, DOUQA, jordy7777
6th. Brabham - 112 pts - Upuaut, AliT12, pj-gm

Sounds good, i'm sure there'll be space for you.

I will try to improve by playing a few races against the AI with no assists. I think I've only done one race on Expert Difficulty and the hardest thing seems to be the pits. Going into it and getting a penalty or overshooting the box are my main problems. Hopefully by September I have it sorted.

Is that 5 or 6 wins in a row now? That is very impressive consistency as there is a lot to go wrong in a race situation, also with tough competition. I hope I can get to a level to challenge you if there are spaces available in September.

I would also give advice to kcheeb, take corners a gear up and brake a little less on corner entry and just throw the car in. The car should stick and if you apply that to all the corners you should gain a lot of time.

Just watching your driving Ken, it's very smooth and consistent, and when I watch it with the volume turned down, I struggle to see how I can be up to 4 seconds faster because you're getting your braking points and hitting the apexes nicely - but when I hear the engine I realise where you're losing the time. You're not getting on the throttle early enough basically. I realise it's not as simple as just correcting that by stepping on the throttle earlier from now on, but it's something I think you'd need to focus on if you want to go any faster. Sometimes i'm guilty of going into a corner too slowly, such is my obsession with getting on the throttle early, when with some corners the exit isn't really all that important. But you'd knock a fair bit off your lap times if you got on the throttle fractionally earlier on each corner - that adds up to quite a lot of lap time. Just a tip from one racer to another 👍

Hey Shaggy, thanks for the time spent watching and analysing, much appreciated and taken to heart 👍

Most of the on the throttle late comes from my early days spent sideways with F1 2010. I've conditioned myself to allow the car to be straight before I get on the throttle. I'm reading a few books on race driving and am becoming more familiar with how to drive which types of corners. Sadly old habits are hard to break, but I am working on breaking them (I do want to go faster).

Cheers and thanks again 👍 (this is why this is such a good group to be with, no one's afraid to share).

That it does, shame you can't finish the series Mike, hopefully 2011 works out!

I will try to improve by playing a few races against the AI with no assists. I think I've only done one race on Expert Difficulty and the hardest thing seems to be the pits. Going into it and getting a penalty or overshooting the box are my main problems. Hopefully by September I have it sorted.

Is that 5 or 6 wins in a row now? That is very impressive consistency as there is a lot to go wrong in a race situation, also with tough competition. I hope I can get to a level to challenge you if there are spaces available in September.

I would also give advice to kcheeb, take corners a gear up and brake a little less on corner entry and just throw the car in. The car should stick and if you apply that to all the corners you should gain a lot of time.

Thanks man - consistency is key in this championship, you can gain quite a lot by erring on the side of caution, but no where near as much as at the start as everyone has improved a lot and got more consistent as it's gone on.

A problem kcheeb faces is that he's still on auto gears as far as i'm aware which really hampers how much speed you carry into corners as it's up to the computer, not you, which gear you're in.

When I switched to my Fanatec GT2, other than the pedals, I thought it was a mistake. It felt different and I was driving slower and making more mistakes. My body and mind were tuned to the feedback from the dfgt. I made a few adjustments to the game and wheel, but mostly spent some time with it and am now very happy with both the wheel and pedals and have bettered my pb's at some of the circuits.

My 2 cents!

Thanks man - consistency is key in this championship, you can gain quite a lot by erring on the side of caution, but no where near as much as at the start as everyone has improved a lot and got more consistent as it's gone on.

A problem kcheeb faces is that he's still on auto gears as far as i'm aware which really hampers how much speed you carry into corners as it's up to the computer, not you, which gear you're in.

I see two people wrecked their cars in the last race in your report, so you are doing a good job still keeping the consistency even starting at the back. I'm amazed that you drive by feel of the force feedback and have it at 100%. I have mine set to something like 30% I think. Mainly as it is quicker to steer and also less noise (DFGT gets quite loud).

Tyres and fuel are also big concerns by the sounds of your race report and different conditions. I only really played F1 2010 in the time trial environment so hopefully I can grasp that quickly and also different setups for races.

I see, otherwise it would have helped him immensely to take it a gear up for better traction. You can still throw the car in a bit more though, the physics allow that, it is only when on power it gets a bit loose.

Here is an example of throwing the car in for kcheeb:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbYjFuGlBRw

Tis true, but I am now playing GT5 with the paddle shifters and am pretty much beyond where I was with the automatic. It's amazing how much less braking space you need. Getting more comfortable with manual shift every time I go out.

I've tried manual in F1 2010 a few times, but am not quite there yet. I will be for F1 2011 though!

Saidur_Ali, I think you'll find the transition to aidless (is that a word) driving will be relatively easy. A little time and a few races and you'll be right there 👍

Tis true, but I am now playing GT5 with the paddle shifters and am pretty much beyond where I was with the automatic. It's amazing how much less braking space you need. Getting more comfortable with manual shift every time I go out.

I've tried manual in F1 2010 a few times, but am not quite there yet. I will be for F1 2011 though!

Saidur_Ali, I think you'll find the transition to aidless (is that a word) driving will be relatively easy. A little time and a few races and you'll be right there 👍
Thanks. I think short-shifting seems to do the trick without traction control in F1 2010. GT5 is a more natural experience so I have it always off on there. Experience is key for me and like you said I should get right there as at the moment I have very little experience. If I get to race with you guys finishing and staying out of trouble would be a huge plus to me regardless of finishing position.

Latest Posts

Back