FM Vs GT - Discussion Thread (read the first post before you post)

• Thread starter Scaff
  • 8,743 comments
I think one thing forza and shift 2 lack is the different textures in a cockpit. Gt5 does this pretty well:

cockpit%252520gt5.jpg

Boot up Shift 2 on PC and be greeted with the best (normal mapped and specular mapped) carbon fiber and alcantara textures on earth.

Boot up Shift 2 on PC and be greeted with the best (normal mapped and specular mapped) carbon fiber and alcantara textures on earth.

It is an unfair advantage with PC, anything can be made to look good with so much graphics power. Cars in Shift 2 are modelled generally very well but I don't think they are as good as GT5 premium cars. Can't wait for PS4, everything will probably look very close to real and also games should have faster load times.

It is an unfair advantage with PC, anything can be made to look good with so much graphics power. Cars in Shift 2 are modelled generally very well but I don't think they are as good as GT5 premium cars. Can't wait for PS4, everything will probably look very close to real and also games should have faster load times.

There is more to just a graphical representation in a virtual cockpit. Shift2, GT5 premiums, and Forza 4 are all good - Shift 2 and Forza 4 are just more lively during a race. It's the "combination" of multiple sensory inputs that draws you in (visuals, sounds, control feedback, etc.).

power still need to be harassed by artist and modelers. It's unfair yes but if we are talking about ultimate best looking cockpit and texture there it is.

car models are different though, they are just on par with FM3;s in most cases or worse.

There is more to just a graphical representation in a virtual cockpit. Shift2, GT5 premiums, and Forza 4 are all good - Shift 2 and Forza 4 are just more lively during a race. It's the "combination" of multiple sensory inputs that draws you in (visuals, sounds, control feedback, etc.).
It could be said they are overdone too but I was on about textures looking better due to PC power.

power still need to be harassed by artist and modelers. It's unfair yes but if we are talking about ultimate best looking cockpit and texture there it is.

car models are different though, they are just on par with FM3;s in most cases or worse.
Some rFactor mods look amazing maxxed out on PC. If you go by photo mode pictures of cockpit in GT5, if PD ported GT5 over to PC, it should look as good as Shift 2 or a lot better. Same will go for Forza 4. I like the helmet cam in Shift 2, the texture looks very good.

Im sorry but the only other thing forza does visually to immerse the player in the cockpit is the blur at high speeds. To me GT5 is more immersive since I can control more parts of the car and look in the back making it seem like I am actually seated in the car. Forza 4 lacks full control of the car ( windshield, headlights, horn etc) and also the lack of a visible windshield is silly. Shift 2 did something great with windshield reflection. Forza feedback depends on the wheel tbh but GT5 clearly has the substantially better FF than the other two (played Forza 4 but on the M$ wheel). (I have a T500 btw)

I think one thing forza and shift 2 lack is the different textures in a cockpit. Gt5 does this pretty well:

cockpit%252520gt5.jpg

Hard to compare these two when you show Forza's example with a photo of TV and you use a direct feed video capture to show GT5.

Im sorry but the only other thing forza does visually to immerse the player in the cockpit is the blur at high speeds. To me GT5 is more immersive since I can control more parts of the car and look in the back making it seem like I am actually seated in the car. Forza 4 lacks full control of the car ( windshield, headlights, horn etc) and also the lack of a visible windshield is silly. Shift 2 did something great with windshield reflection. Forza feedback depends on the wheel tbh but GT5 clearly has the substantially better FF than the other two (played Forza 4 but on the M$ wheel). (I have a T500 btw)

I've not seen Forza blurring anything at high speed (Only play interior/bumper cam) on the demo?

But the rest is OK, it's quite subjective, I think the windscreen reflections in Shift is a key thing that impresses me (shame about the blurring/loose bodywork thing), I wish FM/GT had this, it would make a lot of difference..

FM4 has some nice effects, more pronounced movement, especially under acceleration/braking, it feels a little more organic then GT5, but still lacks a few things..

Forza feedback depends on the wheel tbh but GT5 clearly has the substantially better FF than the other two (played Forza 4 but on the M$ wheel). (I have a T500 btw)
You're not actually suprised that GT5 with a T500RS delivers better Force Feedback than FM4 with an MS Wheel, right?

As far as immersion goes, both GT5 and FM4 are close, in my opinion. Visually. In FM4, I liked the movement of the camera a bit better, but GT5's graphics are nicer. Even though I don't really get anything from the modelled backseats, but that's just me.

I'd be favouring GT5 slighty, but then, there's the sound. I mean, just watch the Zonda R comparison footage. As soon as sound is involved, I can't help but feel FM4 does it better for me. FM3 did that, to an extend.

With most cars, of course. Some sound great in GT5, but most are... Sub-par, in my opinion. Shift 2 does that very well, too, by the way (in some ways better than both GT and FM).

To look in the back of a car I turn around . I dont press a button and it magically appears in place of the windscreen so as a measure of immersion that fails. The ffb in FM3 with a fanatec wheel was better than GT5 and has been hugely improved in FM4.

Wow, where do I begin. Ok the headlights are great in GT5, but the windshield wipers are so bad (running at -20 frames per second) that they take away from the game so that actually kills the whole rain effect. Windshield reflection is a very power hungry task and it's probably that the 360 just isn't up to it and keeping a solid 60 fps with no tearing going. If they wanted to "skimp out" they probably could have skimped on the solid frames as other games do but I'm glad they didn't.

I'm sorry but FF on GT5 versus FM3 (nevermind what FM4 may bring) is a tie at best. The 360 in combination with a M$/Fanatec wheel can do things that the G27 and PS3 is simply physically incapable of doing and will NEVER be able to do and those things add alot to the game. People talk about feeling this and that what your car is going to do is so much more sophisticated in GT5 than FM3 and I just don't buy it. But maybe I'm numb. What I DO know is if I step on the gas in a car with some rumble to it I expect to feel some rumble, not just deadness.

You are good...you can race while looking in the back seat and while seated in the passenger seat :) I know what you're getting it and just ribbing ya but I was only talking "racing" - the racing experience. I myself care less for replay views, horns (on a race car?), etc.. But to each their own on what we look for in a virual racer.

Im sorry but the only other thing forza does visually to immerse the player in the cockpit is the blur at high speeds. To me GT5 is more immersive since I can control more parts of the car and [1] look in the back making it seem like I am actually seated in the car. Forza 4 lacks full control of the car ( windshield, headlights, horn etc) and also the lack of a visible windshield is silly. Shift 2 did something great with windshield reflection. [2] Forza feedback depends on the wheel tbh but GT5 clearly has the substantially better FF than the other two (played Forza 4 but on the M$ wheel). (I have a T500 btw)

1. I actually agree with this. I've always felt that some of that detail in the car goes to waste if we don't see it when looking behind us. Although I wish PD had thought to move the camera on the bumper of cars with no rear window.

2. Not really a good comparison. Comparing GT5 with the best PS3 wheel to Forza with the the terrible 360 wheel just isn't fair. And I've actually heard differently from people who've played each game with a similar quality wheel.

Actually, I don't remember racing cars having horns in GT5, just road legal cars.

But yeah, since GT5 does have working wipers, windshields, weather, day/night, rearview interiors, headlights and horns (albeit in only 20% of the cars) it does trump Forza in this regard.

However, Forza is a great series and I'm very much looking forward to Forza 4. Not quite with the same excitement as I was when I was waiting for GT5 but then again it could be due to the fact that I'm playing so many great racing games now that it just doesn't bother me as much.
Or it could be just that I'm still a GT lover at heart since it was PD who started the whole 'driving simulator' and 100's of cars thing back in the late 90's.

FM 2 and 3 were ver similar in almost every aspect.
Collisions, handling model, damage, online lobbies, career mode - a lot was changed and not all for the better.
Some features of FM2 will return in FM4 (custom public lobbies, more localized damage) but not all (tuning in lobbies, centered HUD).

Collisions, handling model, damage, online lobbies, career mode - a lot was changed and not all for the better.
Some features of FM2 will return in FM4 (custom public lobbies, more localized damage) but not all (tuning in lobbies, centered HUD).

In my mind Fm4 seems like it'a going to be the best in the series for a long time. They got things right with f2 but threw away almost everything that made F2 good in F3. Forza 4 is looking good and to be honest i want Forza 4 to spank GT5 so that Kaz will bring out an awesome game in the future. PD have the potential the be one of the best studios in the business but they need better management and More workforce.

-at times the back of cars are extremely dark that would never happen on an extreme sunny day like the track is.

-Checking GT5 again last night racing on a sunny day it just does not happen, Cars in the distance are never blackish like they are in F3 and F4.

-The cars in front at the back of them are black alot of the time yet it's a clear sunny day

-lit up in the sun much like GT5 in the new demo the lighting is very dark even though there is not a cloud in the sky the back of the cars are very very dark.

High%252520Speed%252520Ring.jpg

In my mind Fm4 seems like it'a going to be the best in the series for a long time. They got things right with f2 but threw away almost everything that made F2 good in F3. Forza 4 is looking good and to be honest i want Forza 4 to spank GT5 so that Kaz will bring out an awesome game in the future. PD have the potential the be one of the best studios in the business but they need better management and More workforce.

I don't think they need more workforce, I think the head guys just need to get their focus back and decide what they want GT to be exactly. GT4 was great(IMO) because they didn't try to do everything, they just built from 1-3 and added a few things that were rather simple, you knew what it was trying to be. GT5 on the other hand doesn't seem to have any real direction, they added things like NASCAR and WRC than failed to really do anything with them, GTTV seems like even PD forgot it's there, single player doesn't suck you in like 1-4 did(I went through 3 GT4 discs and 2 PS2's because of GT4's single player mode) and B-Spec fell flatter than year old soda(could have been so much better).

It seems like it's trying to be a licensed racing game with real series(along the lines of TOCA), racing manager game, media hub and car RPG all in one yet not really performing strong in any of those areas.(although I think they have made one of the best online racing experiences on a console)

I would happily sacrifice some of those things if it meant a little more focus would go into just one of those things.

Notice how i said almost. IMO the handling didn't change much at all between FM2 and 3. Centered HUD? No thanks, its better where its at now.

I would have blown a gasket if they centered the HUD. That would have destroyed the UI. Luckily I turn mine off (unless the cockpit has poor lighting).

First may I congratulate the members posting in here for not responding to what I am about to discuss.

I have to ask exactly what you think using 'M$' was going to add to your post?

I then have to state that you will not do it again and am quite happy to relate the following part of the AUP in regard to it...

AUP
You will, if asked by a representative of the forums, cease posting any content.

....this is a heated enough topic as it stands and having members trying to throw around petty digs and insults like its a school playground does not help.

Do not repeat this again.

Scaff

Just wanted to post this because I remember a member calling my 458 a vacuum from watching this video with the FM4 458 vs GT5 sounds.

GT5 vs FM4 Ferrari 458 Cockpit

[YouTube]iaF78tdI4JE[/YouTube]

Anyway I don't know where these videos of cars that sound good on my system sound like crap when people post up example to use them to say GT5 sounds suck. This is my video I just recorded from my TV. What I love about GT is the different sounds you get when viewing the cars from different angles and how replay view sounds different from cockpit view. You guys with the demo can you capture the 458 from different views to see if the car sounds change during different views thanks.

My video

Anyway I don't know where these videos of cars that sound good on my system sound like crap when people post up example to use them to say GT5 sounds suck. This is my video I just recorded from my TV. What I love about GT is the different sounds you get when viewing the cars from different angles and how replay view sounds different from cockpit view. You guys with the demo can you capture the 458 from different views to see if the car sounds change during different views thanks.

I can tell you that the sounds do change between cockpit and exterior.

Back