3D3 Racing: WRS-based races moved to new WRS sub-forum!

• Thread starter WRP001
  • 2,120 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice little practice session with a couple 12-lap races earlier tonight. Kevin (EDK) kind of spanked the rest of us so we'll have to watch for him if the disconnect bugs don't get him this week. Our better laps during free run were low 1'40s on full fuel tanks with a couple high 1'39s thrown in the mix.

Draft is not that strong unless you are up close with these cars. Once you close in to 5-6 car lengths it really sucks you in, but doesn't pull much from further away. As soon as you pull out to pass it slows you right back down, but then again I was hitting the limiter so that was a factor for me and I have to set a bigger final gear for the race.

Last edited:
Hi guys, this sounds fun - can you sign me up?
EU / GTP_Energizer / Jevrem

Cheers.

👍 A new flag for our drivers grid. :sly: By the way, I like your cockpit. Takes some skill to put one of those together yourself versus my lazy way of just buying one off the shelf!

Last edited:
Thanks mate, but I didn't do it all by myself - my stepfather halped me a lot. I did the design and painting. =p
Looking forward to this, will be tense. 👍

Great to have you in the race Energizer 👍
So close to a full grid...so very close :D

@Speedy - Nice signature :sly:

This week (AsaparaWhat?) we are running a condensed 15 minute live qualification session w/fastest first grid start and no formation lap. Each driver is limited to a single stint with no pits allowed and no leaving the track once you enter for qualification. Our goal is to have a quick and fair qualification session and save time for racing.

Procedures:
  1. The lounge will be reset at the top of the hour to clear practice times and begin the quali session.
  2. Once a driver enters the track after reset he is NOT allowed to leave the track or make pit stops.
  3. During their one stint a driver will: (i) warm up tires for a lap, (ii) run a few (3-5) hot laps until tire wear prevents improving, and (iii) park far from the racing line and observe.
  4. At 15 past the hour a race Marshall will announce the end of qualification. Drivers can complete any hot laps already underway, but once a driver passes the finish line he may not complete another lap and must park the car off the racing line.
If there are no DC issues at the end of qualification we'll start the race countdown timer immediately.

If there are DC issues we'll delay the start for a short period to attempt to resolve them. During this time we'll ask all other drivers to remain parked and to NOT complete any laps or pit. We will *not* hold up the start beyond 30 past the hour as we want the racing itself to last 60 minutes. DC'd drivers who return to the lounge will have to live with whatever position they are placed on the grid as we will not delay the start further to allow them to complete laps.

Notes:
  • After about 5-6 laps of quali you are likely to have enough tire wear that you will not improve times so each driver will probably need use an 8 to 10 minute window for their stint. If you are in the lounge early get on track early in quali and thus park early so any people running a few minutes late have clear track towards the end.
  • Two good areas to park and observe when your stint is done are the run off areas outside turn 1 and the final turn. In either case park far enough off track to not be a distraction.
  • During your tire warm up lap be sure to manage the space between you and the next/previous driver to give yourself plenty of room to complete a few clean laps without interference.
  • If you spin or crash during quali be careful returning to the driving line. Stay off the driving line until there is a large enough gap that you can continue qualification without interfering.
  • At times GT5's grid placement has been inaccurate, but we'll go with whatever results. There are enough laps in the race and passing is not too difficult on this track so whatever Kaz says is what goes.
  • GTP_Hydro's lounge will open for practice approximately one hour before qualification begins. Please do not join the lounge unless the host is already present. If you are the first one to join the lounge (before the host) you will be the network host and issues may result for other drivers.
  • If you typically have network/connection issues please try to join the practice early and work out any issues *before* qualification begins. We will not be splitting the field this week to fix driver network conflicts. If there are issues we'll go with whatever we've got at 30 past the hour, but we're really hoping to get this race started closer to 15-20 past the hour.
PS> Penalties OFF for this race. However, every driver is expected to follow WRS clean lap rules and keep two tires on track at all times. If you go off track and don't gain a position there is no penalty, just keep going, but if you gain a position you must give the position back as soon as possible. Cutting corners or flowing out onto a runoff area by accident will happen from time to time, but doing it regularly to improve your lap times is considered dirty.

@Speedy - Nice signature :sly:
I changed it immediately after my first 3D3 race. ;)👍
Just showing a little of my appreciation towards you guys for organizing this. :D

I'm very happy that you turned penalties off as I was just about to comment on that matter.
Not because I'm a dirty driver who likes cutting (:lol:) but because ghosting is totally ridiculous and in a way ruins that realism GT5 has.

Can anyone please tell me when will the race be held? I'm sure it's written somewhere but I'm lazy. :lol:

Oh, one more thing - do I have to use my GTP_ account or can I use my main account (which I use 99.99% of my time on PS3)?

Cheers.

Can anyone please tell me when will the race be held? I'm sure it's written somewhere but I'm lazy. :lol:

Oh, one more thing - do I have to use my GTP_ account or can I use my main account (which I use 99.99% of my time on PS3)?

Cheers.

I think the GTP_ account is required...

calender date and time is here

I'm very happy that you turned penalties off as I was just about to comment on that matter.
Not because I'm a dirty driver who likes cutting (:lol:) but because ghosting is totally ridiculous and in a way ruins that realism GT5 has.

Cheers.

After some discussion between the stewards we decided to use penalties very selectively (i.e. not very often and only when there is a special reason to turn them on). We're not using them this week, but we reserve the right to use them in a future event. :sly:

The main event post for each event is the place to check for event specific details like time, host, rules, qualifying type, etc. The OP of this thread (first post) has a link to every event and the current event at the top. Also any of the stewards has the current event linked directly in their signature (see below).

And Speedy is right, using your GTP_ account is required. Only exception is for referred drivers that are not yet part of the registry and that clause is meant as a way to entice new drivers to join GTP_WRS and create a GTP_ account (theoretically, after enjoying the racing with us they won't be able to resist :lol:). All our events to date have been open to GTP_Registered drivers *AND* referred drivers, but future events may be limited to *only* registered drivers at our discretion. It's all spelled out in the OP (under Driver Eligibility).

PS> Don't forget to send a PSN FR to GTP_Hydro and GTP_WRP001 to make sure you can join our lounges.

EDIT: I added a drivers registry to the OP. Let me know if I missed anyone or made any mistakes. Again, if you want/don't mind your first name listed let us know otherwise we'll refer to you by your GTP tag.

Last edited:
Due to the Online maintenance scheduled for tonight (Monday 7-11pm Eastern) I probably won't be able to host a NA practice slot (but check back to see if alternative times are posted, as Tim may be able to host a pre-maintenance and a post-maintenance time slot as well).

EU practice will be in it's usual time slot of 12pm Pacific / 3pm Eastern / 7pm GMT tomorrow, Tuesday.
As always, all are welcome to drive in any practice time posted 👍

Due to the Online maintenance scheduled for tonight (Monday 7-11pm Eastern) I probably won't be able to host a NA practice slot (but check back to see if alternative times are posted, as Tim may be able to host a pre-maintenance and a post-maintenance time slot as well).

EU practice will be in it's usual time slot of 12pm Pacific / 3pm Eastern / 7pm GMT tomorrow, Tuesday.
As always, all are welcome to drive in any practice time posted 👍

Sounds good. I will open my lounge for practice today by 5:00 PM Eastern / 2:00 PM Pacific and keep it open until the scheduled maintenance shuts us down. Then I'll reopen the lounge after the maintenance is complete. I won't be driving myself for most of that time, but I'll have the lounge open for others.

I'll set the lounge for 8 lap races in case a few people want to do some draft testing. That should keep the test races to about 12 minutes so nobody has to wait very long. Not enough for a valid tire wear test, but you can test tire wear during free run anyway.

EDIT: My lounge is open. Come on in.

I ran a 1'38.985 on a full tank (lap 3) in my lounge tonight (told you Speedy :sly:). I was running consistent mid to high 1'39s with slight online mods to Vagabonds original WRS setup and then I changed to CSL's WRS transmission and improved immediately. Here's the setup I'm going with except that I've got to adjust 6th to account for draft.

AsaparaDrinkSetup-1.png

Notes: ABS 7, Active Steering Off, TCS Off

EDIT: Was maintenance cancelled? In any case my lounge is open again.

Last edited:
I'm joining Tim's lounge now for a little bit. Only have keyboard and wireless networking though...

I ran a 1'38.985 on a full tank (lap 3) in my lounge tonight (told you Speedy :sly:). I was running consistent mid to high 1'39s with slight online mods to Vagabonds original WRS setup and then I changed to CSL's WRS transmission and improved immediately. Here's the setup I'm going with except that I've got to adjust 6th to account for draft.

AsaparaDrinkSetup-1.png

I was affraid you would, 👍.
Weird, I was beginning to get a consistency in the mid 39's but my tune is completely the other way around.
You are running a lower front, I'm riding a lower rear
My dampers and ARB are pretty different too
LSD with me is ~12/10/16
BB is set to the rear on mine 5/9 (ABS 10)

Last edited:
My CSL mod setup for online, enjoy

AERO 15/60

TRANS (A/T)
FG 3.641
TS 149 (UPPER RIGHT SPEED 185)

LSD 20/15/35

SUSPEN.
10 / -10
20 / 10.4
8 / 4
6 / 2
1 / 5
----------------
2.7 / 1.1
-.10 /.25

Brakes 7/4

Driving Options
AS - Strong
ABS - 3

When ya lock her into the turn just bycycle it through and don't make her mad, cause she'll give ya a donut :lol:

Last edited:
Thanks for the practice, guys, great room, Tim. 👍

Saw Lefty the whole time. 👍 Thanks for the chase runs!

I wasn't able to replicate my 1'38.9 in practice last night, but was able to get a 1'39.3 with full fuel quite a few times and 1'39.1 with 3/4 tank in practice. By lap 10-11 I was having to run a pretty clean lap to stay under 1'41.

I think the 1'38.9 on full tank was a "gold" lap for me and hard to replicate. With that in mind I'm going to write up a few notes and see if any have feedback to help me and/or others struggling with this track. Regular text is basically my general notes on the corner and italic are my racing notes/adjustments/passing thoughts.

Fuji F:
picture.php

First Turn is tricky in timing the braking. A little early and it's hard to get the perfect angle to take advantage of the early exit. I little late and you go wide so it's just all about timing. When it works best I brake down from 6th to 2nd and turn in off gas until I can see exit and then slow application of throttle increasing as car comes around running out to left rumbles (usually going far to left so only right tires are on rumble). Obviously much more tricky when coming out of draft and have to brake early to avoid the over/under re-pass. Also tricky if driver is following you as it's easy for that car to punt you if they misjudge the brack point themselves. Depending on the driver following I may give a little room to the outside for them to use when they overshoot and also prevent a late under move. (We have some inexperienced drivers in a GT500 series I run and leaving room like this for them to gather after errors is key, not quite so much for 3D3, but it's insurance :sly:)

Coca Cola I get right now about 60% of the time with success depending on how much I slow the car under braking. On approach go far to right with right tires on rumbles and downshift to 4th braking to desired speed, turn in and partial throttle through apex to manage drift to right before full power when you can avoid going to wide. I often slow too much through here and make up for it by hitting throttle harder and earlier, but it doesn't make up for loss of speed. That is better than overshooting though which screws up the next section of track and is disastrous if someone sneaks in under you. I have a hard time following close to another driver here and tend to brake too early in that scenario... usually try to cut two tires inside rumbles in those cases and back in gas early to make up for the lost track position. Better than punting the other guy though. With safety concerns in mind I don't attempt to dive bomb pass inside here unless somebody missed and goes wide/overshoots or is "giving me" the position. I know other people that dive bomb here last minute. Bad taste.

100R I enter in 5th and downshift to 4th around the displayed brake zone (driving line). Try to keep a good even arc even where the track flattens out... not too wide, not too narrow. Level of tire wear changes the amount of throttle you can apply in 4th going around the arc (or if you have to coast more) and how fast you can get back to 5th when it straightens out. With tires very warn or if you overshoot it's possible never to get back in 5th before hairpin, but on best of laps I'm hitting limiter at end of arc and can get into 5th and still be tight to right on exit. Not a great place to try and pass. Better off to setup the driver for the Hairpin. If they are really slow or go wide/slide then it's open season. I think you can make a safe pass if the speed difference is significant (new vs warn tires, very fast vs very slow), but it's very easy to screw up hairpin trying to pass here and that will cost you time overall versus tucking in and getting better hairpin exit.

Hairpin is one of two keys for most of my laps. I was downshifting from 5th to 2nd and getting very very early hard throttle on exit prior to apex. Gave me a very good and safe launch, but required too much slowing. I switched that yesterday and instead only go down to 3rd which means I can't get in gas quite as quick or with quite as good an angle so it's gradual throttle increase, but still before apex. In 3rd the min turn speed is about 7-10mph higher so it ends up faster. It's harder on the tires though and requires more grip so I tended to go back to the 2nd gear approach with cold tires or late with warn tires. I think I'm going to keep both techniques in my pocket and pick the one best suited for the situation. Use 2nd gear approach with early full power for first lap, warn tire laps and when I'm following someone tight and need to brake early anyway. Use 3rd gear approach for quali laps and laps where I'm ahead of another driver and prefer a later brake with better tires to defend position (or to prevent early braking punts from behind). Exit is a great place to pass here... not so convinced about passing before apex unless you have a real good run and don't sacrifice your own exit.

Chicane. Exact braking is key like turn 1. Stay wide under braking for optimal time, but opens up inside... so have to change line when under attack to an earlier turn in. I go all the way down to 1st for first part of chicane as it helps car rotate and gets me to the right corner speed and then take second part of chicane in 2nd gear using throttle to help turn the car. Dive bomb pass under braking is risky and you better have cooperation from (and be seen by) the other driver. I wouldn't try it unless I was inside/beside the car at the start of braking after a good run from hairpin. I'm sure some of the more aggressive drivers will bull their way inside and success will depend in the other driver cooperation.

Corner Name? The next sharp right is tricky. I shift all the way down to 2nd braking early to keep it tight, but back on gas immediately and shift back to 3rd right after apex... sometimes a short shift to prevent the car from getting loose if I don't hit it perfect. I take this corner quite tight to the inside and have pulled up beside other drivers who go wide in their approach or by mistake. I haven't managed a clean pass in practice, but definitely closed a lot of gap by the time we get to the next section and if they go so wide they get back in gas late the pass is there without adjusting my line much.

Netz. The sweeping section following the right is all about trying to position the car for the final sharp left. (Is the whole section Netz or just the final sharp left part?) Exit from previous corner perfect and you can set up nicely, but exit too wide to left on the previous corner and you make that final left very tricky at a high angle. In an ideal scenario I've swung back to right early and try to minimize the angle of the sharp left. Brake down to 2nd aim just to right of the rumbles for early power and shift to 3rd... again sometimes early to avoid losing the back end. This corner is my Achilles heal right now and I need some advice on a more systematic approach... right now it's all feel and guesswork and just hoping I end up at the right spot and adjusting when I don't. I feel like in most instances I want to start turning the car at the end of my braking zone which gets me loose or I get a little lift off over steer here I have to manage with throttle that much make me push on the corner. How hard should I go entering the sharp left? How wide? Wider equals slower entry, but less angle so less loose and no push issue. How much should I worry about angle versus just going in fast? How wide should I swing going into this versus saving time and straight lining from previous corner? Advice appreciated. I have a hard time with this section by myself and won't be attempting any passes here unless the other driver makes a mistake.

Panasonic (final turn). Swing way to the left on entry, brake very early down from 4th to 2nd and get on gas early early early. On the best runs I'm getting back into gas 30-50% before I even see the apex and just after starting the turn in from the far left. Not quite full throttle until I come around a bit just catch sight of the apex area. It's a bit blind so hard to get perfect, but rhythm will give you a feel. If you hit it just right you can come out of there will very early full power at a good angle to run out to left rumbles on exit without spinning tires or losing back end at all. Too late and/or too fast and you tend to push (or have to wait too long for power), too early and the angle is so sharp it's easy to lose back end and have to stay off/feather throttle or risk a donut on exit. Obviously the straight following is the best place to pass on the track and you have draft to assist. If you get a better exit you can pass very early, but the other driver actually will have the opportunity to repass. I'd still take the opporunity to make the pass early under accel if it's there.

I'm no expert, but that's my approach and my thoughts on racing traffic/passing. Maybe this will help those who are struggling even more than I am on the track and maybe those running faster can help me out if you see something wrong in my approach or an alternate attack for one of the corners/sections. The gears are obviously specific, but I'm using CSL's gears as shown in my setup posted above. Adjusted 6th for higher max speed under draft, but otherwise same.

I have one question on the tranny adjustment for draft. If I lengthen 6th to get an extra 6-8 mph max should I lengthen 5th just a touch too? So far I've left 5th alone as I use it more often anyway. I only get into 6th twice on track: 300R and final straight. What I've been doing is shifting right on red light for all gears, but letting 5th go a little longer to make up for the longer 6th. Does that make any sense?

I have one question on the tranny adjustment for draft. If I lengthen 6th to get an extra 6-8 mph max should I lengthen 5th just a touch too? So far I've left 5th alone as I use it more often anyway. I only get into 6th twice on track: 300R and final straight. What I've been doing is shifting right on red light for all gears, but letting 5th go a little longer to make up for the longer 6th. Does that make any sense?
I would probably tweak fifth a bit longer too, so 6th isn't a long haul when you don't have draft.
And yes, the further you take each gear, the better, IIRC.

Heavy stuff Tim haha.

My first 4-5 laps of a stint I'm at a consistent 1'39.7. I'm very hesitant on the corner before the Netz, so I shall try your approach in EU practice today. Unfortunately, I'm have problems at the Netz too. Each time I take the corner differently, can't seem to get any consistency.

My best last night was 1'40.0xx, which I think was unassisted by draft, and only a couple laps into the full fuel tank. Using same tune as Tim, but lengthened 5th and 6th gears a little.

When I left the lounge, the standard version of the Drinky was waiting for me in the Used Car Dealer. :D

EDIT: Great writeup Tim! 👍 Don't have much to add, unfortunately. Never tried going all the way down to 1st on Dunlop Chicane, will give it a try. :cheers:

GTP_Hydro's practice lounge will open at 3PM Eastern / 7PM GMT (12PM Pacific)

See you there 👍

Weird thing in practice, my best was a 1'40.9, while in my own lounge it was 1'39.6 (same setup). I'm hoping I was on racing hards, otherwise I need some help lol.

For the first race Speedy, we were together the whole race (till I quit). I was a bit aggressive but I just wanted to know if it was fair 👍

This is my tune.

Aero: 35/60
Gearbox from CSL in the WRS thread (stretched for draft)
LSD: 13/8/15
Suspension
5/-1
17.0/16.0
8/6
9/7
6/2
2.5/0.6
0.0/0.0
BB: 5/9
ABS 8

This is my current setup for the Amemiya RX7 '06 :

DF 35/60

Transmission
First set final gear to 4.200 the max speed all the way to left.
And then set the gears as follows.

F2.500 (max speed 291 km/h)

LSD 18/15/22

Suspension
10/-1
20.0/14.9
3/7
4/3
7/1

1.9/1.6
-0.15/0.20

Brake balance 8/5

R2 tyres

MadMax

Weird thing in practice, my best was a 1'40.9, while in my own lounge it was 1'39.6 (same setup). I'm hoping I was on racing hards, otherwise I need some help lol.

For the first race Speedy, we were together the whole race (till I quit). I was a bit aggressive but I just wanted to know if it was fair 👍

Check your HP, it should be 399... I just realized I probably ran a good chunk at the end of the practice with 16 fewer HP. Just needed an oil change.

EDIT: I think Hydro and I are suffering from Fuji practice burn out so if you NA guys want to practice tonight one of you should just set up your own lounge and post here to the thread for others to join. See event post for lounge settings. I'm either going to run some spa (online) or just take the night off and rest so I can kick some 🤬 tomorrow. :lol: If you do see me in my lounge and want to run spa feel free to join.

Last edited:
I apolagize, I'm not going to be able to particapate in tomorrow's event. I didn't get any track time in yet and tonight I'll be at Spa, and I'm still trying to move that Fiat around a bit faster! Hopefully next week.

My best lap in practice the other night was a 39.841, here's the tune I was using for it. It's certainly capable of more, but I was focused on keeping the car pointed the right way and making the tires last the whole 12 laps/understand tire durability.

RH -5/-10
Springs 13.8/16.4
Damp Ext 8/8
Damp Comp 6/8
ARB 5/6
Camber 2.4/0.8

Toe 0/-0.14

LSD 8/40/20

Aero 35/60

Brakes 3/7

Gears

Final 4076

Top speed in top right is 178 MPH.

Check your HP, it should be 399... I just realized I probably ran a good chunk at the end of the practice with 16 fewer HP. Just needed an oil change.

I'm at 396, engine not broken-in fully (oil was good). I guess I was running racing hards because I just ran a quick session and managed a 39.7xx again. It's a relief because I spent a lot of time on my own setup and would've hated not using it.

I'll post my complete setup tomorrow morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back